PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex : Human Revolution

Gaius Marius
2011-03-11, 01:13 PM
YOOOO-HOOOO!!!

Just bought PC Gamer, and red the preview they are making of that game. Oh man, it looks so filled with potential! So many possibilities! (So many potential bugs... :smalleek:)

I also cracked open the 1st issue of the comic book they are selling of Human Revolution. Pretty good comic, good ambiance, that looks awesoem.

To finish my HRev media brainwash, I went to watch the most recent gameplay video, and I gotta say, it looks like a good RPG, with options and turnarounds. I simply am in love with the theme of the game, regarding our close but dark future.. it's fitting SO WELL into "film noir" genre, a la Blade Runner..

Well, Blade Runner and Robocop, when I think of it.

Seriously, just by thinking about it all, I feel my little cohort getting into formation! :smallbiggrin:

What are your thoughts on that game? Getting eager? Expecting to be disapointed? Hate the fact that it's made in Montreal?

Talk away!

Muz
2011-03-11, 01:45 PM
Eagerly awaiting, and yet remembering how disappointed I was with Invisible War, and thus trying not to get my hopes up too far. But what I have heard seems mostly on track, at least.

They've still got different ammo types, yes?

I hope the story and gameplay are worthy of the original's legacy, but I guess we won't really know until August when marketing gives way to personal experience.

Octopus Jack
2011-03-11, 02:36 PM
I'm very much looking forwards to Human Revolution. The original was such a great game, I can't play through it enough (For anyone interested I'm documenting a play through now in LP format in this very forum /shameless plug)

From what I've read and seen of Human Revolution it looks awesome, hopefully it isn't a giant let down and it lives up to the greatness of the original.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-12, 02:36 PM
Different ammo types, XP, apparently some ability to combine different items together (the debut gameplay video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9e2u7fIdjU&feature=relmfu) had a "combine" option when clicking on items in the inventory. Granted, he only used it to load a pistol with explosive rounds, but it shows potential). It's going to be much more RPG-ish than Invisible War, thank God.

Also, you know that "punch through a wall and snap the neck of the guy on the other side of it" move in the first trailer? You can definitely do it in-game. 5:05 here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXOTugQGvs&feature=related)

I'm definitely looking forward to the plot. Tracer Tong is in and I'm eager to see what else gets worked in, the whole "tracking down people" premise they hammer on in the first trailer suggests that the inevitable turn into Illuminati-land won't come out of left field, I kind of have a thing for riots in cyberpunk settings so the possibility of a mission that takes you through the protests they show in the first trailer makes me happy (especially if they let you choose whether to fight for the protesters or for the police), and so on.

My ideal game is basically The Elder Scrolls IV or Fallout 3 in a cyberpunk setting with conspiracy theories, so if Human Revolution has a lot of side quests, large areas, and free roaming, I will be extremely happy.

Gaius Marius
2011-03-12, 10:57 PM
Anybody else grabbed the comic book issue?

chiasaur11
2011-03-13, 02:00 AM
Looking forward.

I was sold from when they showed transparent boxes while you carry them.

psilontech
2011-03-13, 04:29 AM
Tracer Tong is in.

If I had been given the opportunity to kill that man after he proposed his end-game scenario, I would have broken my non-lethal streak and baptized the Dragon Tooth in that scum's blood.

On an unrelated note to my vague hatred of Tong, it seems to me that the takedowns look a little too easy.

"Hey look, two heavily armed goons 15 feet away. Better press the 'I win' button!"

Cogwheel
2011-03-13, 04:45 AM
If I had been given the opportunity to kill that man after he proposed his end-game scenario, I would have broken my non-lethal streak and baptized the Dragon Tooth in that scum's blood.

On an unrelated note to my vague hatred of Tong, it seems to me that the takedowns look a little too easy.

"Hey look, two heavily armed goons 15 feet away. Better press the 'I win' button!"

They make up for it.

A broken takedown, you see, is many things. It is not the most silent takedown.

Penguinizer
2011-03-13, 05:22 AM
All of the takedowns seemed to basically be rather close range. In the original, you'd just walk up and whack them on the head with a baton for the same result.

ninja_penguin
2011-03-14, 10:43 AM
A broken takedown, you see, is many things. It is not the most silent takedown.

Remember, the GEP gun takedown is the most silent way to eliminate Manderly.

Gaius Marius
2011-03-14, 12:00 PM
a takedown isn't simply "press the button to win" mechanic.

It's more of a "let's manage to put myself in the desired position, probably getting there through stealthy mean, and using the skill point I have invested in these takedown skills rather than invisibility, shooting or hacking, to kill quickly a group of ennemy"

You won't be able to waltz through the entire game by pressing the takedown button nonstop.

Penguinizer
2011-03-14, 04:10 PM
I recall someone saying that it used energy/bio energy in some article.

chiasaur11
2011-03-14, 06:37 PM
I recall someone saying that it used energy/bio energy in some article.

Yup.

One whole bar a use. You only regenerate the last bar.

Muz
2011-03-14, 09:27 PM
Here's a video on YouTube of some of the gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NRr3Gpt6Xs), which looks to be a few months old. 0:47 gave me a nasty Invisible War flashback, but 1:23 was more encouraging in that regard...

SurlySeraph
2011-03-15, 01:41 PM
I feel the need to one-up you. Here's Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwqe07VBoo&feature=related) and Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXOTugQGvs&feature=related) of 25 minutes of gameplay. The video and sound are slightly out of sync, but you get the picture well enough.

The only "Worryingly like Invisible War" thing I've seen so far is the number of air ducts. It got really old in IW how going through the air ducts was the easiest way of doing absolutely everything.

Eldan
2011-03-15, 01:43 PM
NEver played IW, but didn't the original have copious amounts of airducts too?

Seonor
2011-03-15, 02:36 PM
NEver played IW, but didn't the original have copious amounts of airducts too?

Yes, but it was more like:
Here is the building you need to get in. Here is the airduct that will get you to your objective, over there is the side entrance (which you need to hack to get in), there is the main entrance (with a few guards you need to fight to get in), and there is also the roof acces (but you need to build a ladder out of a few boxes to get on the roof). Do what you like.

IW was:
Here is your objective and here is the airduct you need to get there.

This is slightly exaggerated, but you get the point.

Gaius Marius
2011-03-15, 03:19 PM
Yes, but it was more like:
Here is the building you need to get in. Here is the airduct that will get you to your objective, over there is the side entrance (which you need to hack to get in), there is the main entrance (with a few guards you need to fight to get in), and there is also the roof acces (but you need to build a ladder out of a few boxes to get on the roof). Do what you like.

IW was:
Here is your objective and here is the airduct you need to get there.

For what I've heard, there will always be alternatives to the airduct in HR

Muz
2011-03-16, 10:23 AM

I'm not entirely sure it is. :smallwink:

Valaqil
2011-03-17, 09:41 AM
What are your thoughts on that game? Getting eager? Expecting to be disapointed? Hate the fact that it's made in Montreal?

Part of me wants to be cautious, but I'm extremely eager for it. The cynical side says that sequels are usually worse and esp. in gaming. But this looks much, much closer to DX than IW was. If HR turns out like it looks in the media, i.e. DX updated to the current-gen with a few modifications and a new story, then I will have a new DX game to play for the next ten years. :smallwink:

IW was: Here is your objective and here is the airduct you need to get there.

I have to agree with Muz. I'm not sure it is, that much. There were a lot of things in IW that I let slide. The more constrained environment was one of the worst, though. :smallmad:

Eldan
2011-03-17, 09:47 AM
Yeah. One of the most fun things about the original DX was the "Shadowrun missions".

"Here's a huge complex, there are some goals in there, go".

Muz
2011-03-22, 01:03 AM
New gameplay demo here (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/21/deus-ex-human-revolution-video-walkthrough). (Not a playable demo, just a video, but...)

My cautious optimism has taken a slight hit with all that yellow highlighting (are attention spans really so short now that people need to have doors and ladders outlined in neon in order for them to recognize them?), but hopefully that's something that can be turned off...

Valaqil
2011-03-22, 09:17 AM
My cautious optimism has taken a slight hit with all that yellow highlighting (are attention spans really so short now that people need to have doors and ladders outlined in neon in order for them to recognize them?), but hopefully that's something that can be turned off...

I realize it wasn't nearly as bright or obvious, but the original Deus Ex had highlighting as well. That's not a new feature. I will admit that I'd prefer to disable it, given the option, however.

Gaius Marius
2011-03-22, 09:34 AM
I realize it wasn't nearly as bright or obvious, but the original Deus Ex had highlighting as well. That's not a new feature. I will admit that I'd prefer to disable it, given the option, however.

That's what Gamemods exist! :smallwink:

BRC
2011-03-22, 10:00 AM
I'm currently playing through the original for the first time (Well, first serious play through, I'd played before), and looking at the trailers, I've gotten my hopes up for Human Revolution.

I played a little bit of Invisible War, the thing that bugged me most about it was that they let you pick a side, and then had the other side keep calling you up telling you to do things and telling you that you are a horrible person for disobeying them.

That said, the most important part of the original was, in my mind, the level design. Always multiple ways to complete the goal with the levels still laid out organically. The places you go through seem, for the most part, like actual locations rather than just a string of rooms full of guards and treasure.
More and more I find myself taking out all the guards, then wandering around the levels seeing what I COULD have done.

Hopefully, Human Revolution can recreate that, but with better voice acting.

Muz
2011-03-22, 10:33 AM
I had similar problems with Invisible War. They promoted it as being able to do anything you wanted, make any choice, follow any path, etc. But they all lead to the story going exactly the same place in almost exactly the same manner. So, basically, you're on railroad tracks, but you can stow your bag either under your seat, above your seat, or in your lap! It's WIDE OPEN! :smallwink:

And I recall highlighting in DX1, yes, but IIRC that was just a little white box on something when you got close rather than a door glowing yellow from across the room.

Though I could be wrong.

But yes, it's not really the fact that things are highlighted, it's the degree to which they are (in the demo).

Hopefully, Human Revolution can recreate that, but with better voice acting.

A bomb. :smallcool:

Arbitrarity
2011-03-22, 02:42 PM
More subtle or limited highlighting would be nice, but it's not a real issue, IMO. Normally, my issue with highlighting is "here is what you need to do next derp". This highlighting is more "here are the things you can do" and there are a LOT of them.

Muz
2011-03-22, 04:10 PM
Just so long as the game doesn't play itself. The quest arrows above heads in Dragon Age, for example, tend to get on my nerves. I miss games where you had to explore to find things, and the thrill of that discovery. (Not that I want to be lost and frustrated, either, but I'm willing to risk it occasionally to keep the ability to discover things alive.)

Mewtarthio
2011-03-22, 06:34 PM
From what I saw in the trailer, it looked like every door and ladder was being highlighted, along with any exploding barrels or movable crates the player looked at directly. It's basically more of a reminder that you can interact with an object than a quest marker (presumably so the player can pick out important objects from background details or obstacles meant for cover).

Arbitrarity
2011-03-22, 07:43 PM
And the original game did that with the little white outline. Admittedly the yellow highlight is a bit more obvious, but it fits with the golden color scheme of the rest of the game. I swear there has to be a symbolic reason for that, but at the very least, it does a good job distinguishing the game from your modern brown shooter, and from Mass Effect's blue theme.

I suspect this game will be as fun as you make it. I think it quite likely that some players won't like it because their perceived "best" routes don't qualify as fun, or they feel punished for taking direct approaches.

Valaqil
2011-03-22, 08:08 PM
I suspect this game will be as fun as you make it. I think it quite likely that some players won't like it because their perceived "best" routes don't qualify as fun, or they feel punished for taking direct approaches.

I _love_ stealth, but I actually think that "direct" routes look quite rewarding, with takedowns and the like.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-22, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I want to be sure there's an option to turn the highlighting off. Glowing golden auras have their place in every setting, and in cyberpunk that place is not around ladders.

The variety of paths looked good, the takedowns looked varied enough (and short enough) that they won't get boring quickly, and I like the general gritty aesthetic. I'm not a fan of the voice acting, but I can put up with Jensen's voice if there are enough good characters.

Given that the enemies are some purity-oriented group and the protests in the first trailer were against modification, I'm predicting the Templars are going to be the main enemy again.

Eldan
2011-03-24, 05:02 AM
I'm not too concerned about golden auras. The first Deus Ex already things like that, and they were explained as "My vision is augmented".

Seonor
2011-03-24, 07:14 AM
Most modern smartphones can do that, so having it is actually very apropriate for any game set in the future, especially with the focus on human/machine/computer integration/augmentation Deus Ex always had.

For todays applications see all things Augmented Reality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality). There are some really interesting possibilitys, including things like ARMAR (Augmented Reality for Maintenance and Repair) (http://graphics.cs.columbia.edu/projects/armar/index.htm) (video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn-zvymlSvk)) or basicly the same thing by BMW here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KPJlA5yds). Combine it with something like Layar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Le50-QN3o) and the highlighting in DX:HR looks almost outdated...

Eldan
2011-03-24, 08:50 AM
Was the first Deus Ex the game with the Automatic Friendly-Enemy differentiation system?

psilontech
2011-03-24, 11:24 AM
Was the first Deus Ex the game with the Automatic Friendly-Enemy differentiation system?

Yeah. From what I remember, you aim at a friendly, they gain a green outline. You center on an enemy, they have a red outline. That stuff gets ingrained, man. If somehow I came across someone, looked at them, and it appeared as if there was a red outline around them, I would dive into the nearest fecking cover!:smalltongue:

Muz
2011-03-24, 11:37 AM
I liked the friend-or-foe system in the first one. It made sense to have both from a gaming perspective and in-universe. (And I didn't mind the white brackets because you didn't see those until you were right up close, and they helped with letting you know you had the cursor in the right place.) But why would the main character need his vision augmented so that he gets a ladder or door highlighted for him from across the room? Did whatever accident he was in damage the part of the brain that helps him recognize "door" and "ladder?" Why do we, the players, need this? Are we not able to recognize doors and ladders as well? (And, if not, how did we even scrounge up the perspicacity to install the game in the first place?)

(Hee hee. I got to say "perspicacity." Now I just need to work in "curmudgeon" and "defenestrate." :smallbiggrin: )

Gaius Marius
2011-03-24, 11:45 AM
Was there sometimes unknown? Like, the target-identification system sometimes couldn't make out if a specific mob was hostile or friendly?

Muz
2011-03-24, 11:52 AM
Not that I can recall. I think things defaulted to friendly if it wasn't hostile. (So a more apt description would be red = hostile, green = non-hostile.)

But then it's been a while.

scienceguy8
2011-04-11, 06:03 PM
I recently had the pleasure of reading a companion novel written by one of the Human Revolution writers. The novel, Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, definitely gives the impression that these guys know the subject material well. For instance, one particular part of the book sent some shivers of familiarity down my spine.
They emerged in the open common area on the aircraft's upper deck. A gleaming steel galley ranged along one wall, and there were chairs and monitors facing it. Garrett pawed through a food locker like a hungry bear and Saxon glanced away, finding another member of the team engrossed in maintenance on a heavy cyberhand.

The German was the other new guy in the Tyrants, although he'd been in a while before Saxon's arrival. Beneath a dark jacket he had the spare, rippled physique of a bodybuilder, a thick neck and natural eyes that still seemed somehow lifeless. A black watch cap was pulled down over his hair. He didn't show many augmentations aside from the hand, but Saxon had seen him moving and was willing to bet the legs were metal. The guy was the youngest of them, somewhere in his twenties.

"You're Saxon," he said. His accent was deep and resonant. "We have not formally met." He nodded at the dismantled mechanism at the end of his arm. "Forgive me if I do not shake your hand. I am Gunther Hermann."

"Deus Ex: Icarus Effect"
James Swallow

A couple other characters from the original game also make an appearance in the game, including:
Heir to his family's shipping business and founder of the New Sons of Freedom, Juan Ivanovich Lebedev.

Illuminati members Lucius DeBeers, Morgan Everett, Stanton Dowd, and Bob Page, one of whom will later become infirm, two of whom will aid J.C. Denton, and one of whom will make an attempt to rule the world as a literal deus ex machina.

Tracer Tong is in...

Sounds like we may be meeting more than just Tong during Human Revolution. I suspect that one or two other supporting characters from the first game may make an appearance.

I highly recommend that major fans of Deus Ex read this book. Be aware that parts of it run in parallel to the plot of Human Revolution, so if you don't already know how the first minutes of gameplay play out story wise and you want to remain unaware, read this afterward.