PDA

View Full Version : All the Chicas Love An Accent!

Crow
2011-03-11, 01:22 PM
I was just thinking, as I sit here bored at work;

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing. Putting aside the intricacies of each accent and the fact that when Americans think "British" they are really only thinking about one of many "British" accents...

I wonder, in the U.K., or any country really, do women find American "accents" sexy and appealing?

Dr.Epic
2011-03-11, 01:30 PM

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing. Putting aside the intricacies of each accent and the fact that when Americans think "British" they are really only thinking about one of many "British" accents...

I wonder, in the U.K., or any country really, do women find American "accents" sexy and appealing?

Well British accent are great in fantasy films. Does that mean all women really love fantasy films? My 10 year of geekdom are about to pay off. My Extended LotR DVD might as well be worth 10 times their weight in gold!:smallbiggrin:

As for this idea, you could try it? Go to another country and report back on your progress.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-11, 01:49 PM
Men and women of all cultures love foreign accents of all stripes. It really varies from person to person, accent to accent. Pretty much any accent is fair game to someone.

American accents (particularly Midwestern) have been described as "melodic" and "singsong", and are certainly attractive to some people.

Also, you'll probably notice that people will rarely call an accent attractive unless the speaker is also attractive. That's not a coincidence.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-03-11, 02:47 PM
I've had Australian females give positive reviews on my (New England-ish) accent.

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-11, 03:01 PM
I've been told my accent is cute. I've also been told I sound like a pubescent boy.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-11, 03:11 PM

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing.

ORLY? I need to move to the USA :smallcool:

Love an Irish accent.

French is good if it's not too thick, otherwise it's unintelligible.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-11, 07:30 PM
I'm a master of accents. I sometimes just slip into accents without noticing. Especially if my lisp is coming on, I instinctively go into an English accent of some sort to hide it. (Not being able to pronounce "r"s. I've been getting bettah, though! :smallamused)

Edit: I also do a killer highland Scot accent, but it's practically unintelligible.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-11, 07:39 PM
i have a texan accent, but as those of you who saw my video on the last You! thread can tell... i am REALLY good at hiding it.

Slayn82
2011-03-11, 07:49 PM

Here in Brazil.

Back when i was a teenager, i had a friendship with two twin brothers, who used to spend their vacations in the USA. After classes, sometimes our group would go to malls, and they used to play "i'm an american tourist" to catch girls. Of course, the fact that they were blond and too much pale worked well at their advantage. Heh, fun times.

But i mostly agree with the idea that people love foreign accents, specially if the person is atractive.

John Cribati
2011-03-11, 08:11 PM
Jamaican girls love American accents. But the shopkeepers automatically double the price of everything once you don't speak Patois. So I guess it evens out.

Xyk
2011-03-11, 08:18 PM
I don't know what it is, but I can't stand a british accent. I don't know the difference between the multitude that I'm told exist because I don't like to listen to it for more than it takes to watch Shaun of the Dead. Often not even that long. For whatever reason, that irrational hatred just goes away when it's a medieval movie. In fairness, though, I'm not a chica.

My accent is pretty typical American Youth, with a "y'all" thrown in here and there. I also say "was" and "because" as "wuz" and "becuz". Those are involuntary.

Dvandemon
2011-03-11, 08:35 PM
While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell :smalltongue: Accents are sexy, but I hate it when people try to copy slang and inflections from another culture when they are obviously not native :smalltongue::smallyuk:

what does that really have to do with this thread? >.>

zorba1994
2011-03-12, 02:50 PM
Honestly, accents are almost universally seen as sexy. This is probably an evolutionary thing, because an accent means the person is less likely to have have a similar genotype to you, it will lead to more productive evolution in a population faster. At this point in society, it's just a nice perk for immigrants.

Mina Kobold
2011-03-12, 04:09 PM
I don't know what it is, but I can't stand a british accent. I don't know the difference between the multitude that I'm told exist because I don't like to listen to it for more than it takes to watch Shaun of the Dead. Often not even that long. For whatever reason, that irrational hatred just goes away when it's a medieval movie. In fairness, though, I'm not a chica.

Same with me and American accents, been told there exist more than Midwestern and Southern but blimey if I can tell a Chicago bloke from a Minnesota one. :smalltongue:

I love almost all incarnations of English, though, so I wouldn't mind learning. ^_^

While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell :smalltongue: Accents are sexy, but I hate it when people try to copy slang and inflections from another culture when they are obviously not native :smalltongue::smallyuk:

what does that really have to do with this thread? >.>

Why?

I assume you don't mean voice actors when you say that but what could possibly cause you to hate people for changing the way they speak?

That would mean no pirate accents! D:

Halae
2011-03-12, 05:13 PM
This reminds me to ask, is there a different accent between American and Canadian? I'm Canadian, but everybody i met in Florida when I was visiting my grandmother spoke like the Canadians I've met. Admittedly I didn't meet many, but there it is

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-12, 05:39 PM
This reminds me to ask, is there a different accent between American and Canadian? I'm Canadian, but everybody i met in Florida when I was visiting my grandmother spoke like the Canadians I've met. Admittedly I didn't meet many, but there it is

That's cause everyone is Florida are Canadian and Jewish.

First of all, where are you from? Eastern Canadian accents are very similar to New England accents, Central Canadian accents are very similar to Mid-Western American accents, West Coast accents are very similar across the board. Maritime and Quebecois accents are very distinctive, however.

And a southern accent will have very little in common with any Canadian accents.

Castaras
2011-03-12, 06:20 PM
Depends on the accent. As an english sounding lady, I find when doing voice chat on games to have guys complimenting my accent. Me personally, I prefer European (Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish... Nordic accents are awesome.) accents to American accents.

Halae
2011-03-12, 07:05 PM
That's cause everyone is Florida are Canadian and Jewish.

First of all, where are you from? Eastern Canadian accents are very similar to New England accents, Central Canadian accents are very similar to Mid-Western American accents, West Coast accents are very similar across the board. Maritime and Quebecois accents are very distinctive, however.

And a southern accent will have very little in common with any Canadian accents.

Southern Alberta, which is mountain standard. Western Canada then, so not a big difference between myself and this side of the continent. I suppose that makes sense

Mina Kobold
2011-03-12, 07:30 PM
Depends on the accent. As an english sounding lady, I find when doing voice chat on games to have guys complimenting my accent. Me personally, I prefer European (Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish... Nordic accents are awesome.) accents to American accents.

Can we swap? I love English accents but sadly I live amidst a lot of Danish ones. v_v

Or we could meet and hold a conversation entirely based on how awesome we think the other one's accent is! :smalltongue:

Or kittens! I don't know what kittens have to do with anything but it's half past one O clock and at this time kittens are the answer to everything!

Dogmantra
2011-03-12, 08:03 PM
While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell :smalltongue:

Rubbish. You think a Scottish accent sounds like a Welsh accent which sounds like an English accent? And that's just the countries, let alone the different areas of 'em.

(bleh Britain is not England insert rage here)

Lyndworm
2011-03-12, 08:08 PM
Same with me and American accents, been told there exist more than Midwestern and Southern but blimey if I can tell a Chicago bloke from a Minnesota one. :smalltongue:

I love almost all incarnations of English, though, so I wouldn't mind learning. ^_^

I have a pretty typical Midwestern accent, though I've been known to carry a hint of a Southern accent from time to time. I can slip into a Kentucky-Tennessee accent pretty easily (though not by accident), as my family is largely from that area and I used to visit every summer.

Supposedly my speech patterns are reminiscent of British speech patterns, enough so that I've had more than one (supposedly) English person tell me so. (I know that British does not equal English, but I'm quoting English people, here.)

Anyhoo, for the most part, Chicago and Minnesota accents are pretty much the same. However, if you've ever seen any parodies of "Souttside" Chicago, they tend to be pretty dead-on. No matter how elaborate and cartoonish they seem, they're dead-on. Watch those old SNL "Bob Swerski's Superfans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do7RLuVAW1k&feature=related)" skits, (you know, "Da Bears" ) they're pretty accurate.

People actually talk like this. This is not hyperbole. This happens.

Pika...
2011-03-12, 08:18 PM
Heck, apparently even in the USA region to region this phenomenon happens. Two Kentucky girls recently told me they love my Floridian accent. :smalleek:

Admittedly, I LOVE theirs' as well. So feminine sounding for some reason.

Now, an Irish or Scottish accent. :smallbiggrin:

However, Hispanic accents really, really annoy me. Being a Hispanic born in the US perhaps I have just had enough of them? :smallsigh:

Basically, I figure it really is a person-by-person thing. Perhaps to a certain extent a regional thing as well to a certain extent, and it is definitely influenced by the media I think. Just like ideas of physical beauty are spread and enforced by the media, I feel ideals of beautiful accents are as well.

SDF
2011-03-12, 08:20 PM
People in central MN pretty much talk like Fargo. If you go down to the cities it pretty much completely disappears. Even up north where I grew up it isn't as pronounced and blends in with the Canadian accent.

I never cared for the UK variety of accents. Either too abrasive or I can't understand a single word (sorry Ireland). I go crazy for Aussie accents, though. Miranda from Mass Effect, Vanille from FFXIII, or Sierra from Dollhouse to name a few popular media example. Mannn....

GolemsVoice
2011-03-12, 08:46 PM
I can do a stereotypical Nazi accent, and I've noticed that I tend to pronounce words more in the English fashion, sort of upper-classy, as far as I can tell.

But yes, I do like me some accents, as long as the speaker stays intellegible

Shyftir
2011-03-12, 08:48 PM
American accents: a very short primer.
Lindworms not kidding. I don't sound like "Da Bears" guys because I've lived in multiple parts of the mid-west, but the differences are there. Media is slowly beating them out though.

Larry the Cable Guy? I have relatives in Missouri who sound just like that.

Minnesota accents sound like canadian-midwest or swedish accents, if they have one.

It's more a speech pattern thing that makes the difference inside the 4 main American accents.

New Englanders pahk the cah in the garahge.

Southerners tend to draawl out the words, ya'll.

Texans are hard to describe. It is a drawl as well but it doesn't sound like a south-eastern one.

Midwest/West Coast or "Western" is nearly without any major accent of its own. In those areas it's the way you say things that marks you out.

And then there are all the little ones in specific regions like:
Cajan/French/hispanic sound in "N'awlins" (New Orleans)
Boston accent which is the New England one turned up to 11.

The racially connected ones like the stereotypical:
Black accent
Hispanic accent and
Asian accent.

Of course most of these are from people who just learned the language recently or grew up bi-lingual. It tends to fade after a generation or two.
The "Black" accent is actually from having moved north from the deep south and settling in not-diverse neighborhoods. This caused linguistic shift away from both northern and southern accents. Poor education standards in low income areas that were unfortunately non-diverse have added to that as well. (Note: As the economic divides between the races have blurred, this accent becomes less about race and more about economic condition.)

Personally:
I'm a sucker for two accents.

The Southern Belle: southern USA accent associated with Virginia the Carolinas and Georgia. It's also specifically the way a "well-bred" southern girl is supposed to sound.

South African: I love listening to South Africans speak, its a bit of a softer accent than Australian, but similar.

I also like accents from the British Isles and Eastern Europe, but not to the same level.

I'm likely to butcher Irish or Scottish accents while voicing my characters in RPGs, but I blame that on one particular guy in my group who thinks he's got it down really well. (He's wrong.)

Pika...
2011-03-12, 08:51 PM
I can do a stereotypical Nazi accent,

You mean the one where you can be singing about cookies and rainbows, yet it still sounds like you are angry?

In hindsight, that would be quite amusing...:smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-12, 10:17 PM
You mean the one where you can be singing about cookies and rainbows, yet it still sounds like you are angry?

In hindsight, that would be quite amusing...:smallbiggrin:

I've done that.

This girl I know, she doesn't have much of an accent, she lived in Maine for most of her life, but she was born in Tennessee, and I swear, when she puts on her southern accent, it's the cutest little thing you've ever seen.
She drives me mad. :smallamused:

Serpentine
2011-03-12, 11:43 PM
Golem's Voice, that avatar is not by Djinn in Tonic.

Meh. After so much American TV and American film, American accents are just... common *shrug* I suppose there's some that can be enjoyable to listen to - like, say, "Southern belle" - but it's pretty much the default nowadays. Which is annoying for its own reasons :smallannoyed:
What I REALLY hate is when someone who speaks English as their second language has a really heavy American accent. I find myself wishing hard that they use English-teaching tools from England...

Orzel
2011-03-13, 02:57 AM
A lady once told me she felt safe with me because of my hard Brooklyn/Caribbean Accent.

I was angry that day through.

The odd thing I lack imposing size. I just sounded scary she said.

rakkoon
2011-03-13, 02:59 AM
I've never met someone with a real Southern accent so can't say much about that. The NY or LA accent doesn't do that much to me. The posh English accent makes me go absolutely crazy in a good way.

We have different dialects every 10 kmr here ove (no joke) and there isn't a universal sexy one. I don't like dialects that are too pronounced because I
- Can't understand them
- Find them very low class

Rakky

Adlan
2011-03-13, 09:36 AM

Well, as a Limey, with two accents (Middle Class BBC English with a hint of Norfolk, and a Broad Norfolk), I hope it's true that Americanesses find the accent a plus. I certainly find some American Accents appealing.

Women in the UK will tend to like the American accent if it goes a long with a Stereotype they enjoy. If you find one who likes Westerns, a Midwestern/Texan Drawl will go down well, one who likes Gone with the Wind might go for the southern gentleman, someone who watched Bill and Ted as a Kid might go for the stereotypical California surfer type dude.

But in general, it doesn't seem to be as wide spread as the appeal of a British accent is supposed to be in America. And there's quite a bit of hatedom towards Americanism's in British English, and some American accents in particular that sound dumb or annoying to the British Ear, though I suspect this is due to the changed syntax more than the pronunciation.

If anyone is interest, texan&Southern Belle's, Newfie's and the Accent's I heard in the mountains (Appalacian and Rockies) are the ones that hit my buttons the most.

TheThan
2011-03-13, 02:13 PM
Personally:
I'm a sucker for two accents.

The Southern Belle: southern USA accent associated with Virginia the Carolinas and Georgia. It's also specifically the way a "well-bred" southern girl is supposed to sound.

I love the southern belle accent too it’s less “sexy” and more” sweet”, sort of down home and comfortable sounding. Especially when you add in speech mannerisms, you know calling people (even strangers) sugar and hon all the time.

Brother Oni
2011-03-13, 06:57 PM
Now, an Irish or Scottish accent. :smallbiggrin:

Bear in mind there are multiple Scottish accents.

Most people find Glaswegian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1PodDYfL8) hard to understand - my wife has great difficulty and I have issues depending on how much they've had to drink. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2011-03-13, 09:09 PM
Bear in mind there are multiple Scottish accents.

Most people find Glaswegian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1PodDYfL8) hard to understand - my wife has great difficulty and I have issues depending on how much they've had to drink. :smalltongue:

I've heard that Russian accents get easy to understand after about your fifth vodka.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-13, 09:50 PM
I've heard that Russian accents get easy to understand after about our fifth vodka.

It's true.
It's soooo true.

Russians actually don't have an accent. It's just after intaking such copious amounts of vodka, everyone starts talking in a Russian accent. And they ALWAYS have copious amounts of vodka. I know I go all Russian when I have enough Vodka.

Dexam
2011-03-13, 10:42 PM
I must have some sort of chameleonic accent: whilst holidaying in Canada in 2005, I was mistaken for a Canadian; and while touring Europe last year, some English members of my tour group assumed that I was also English.

I am in fact Australian, but I certainly don't have the stereotypical "ocker Aussie" accent. Still... :smallconfused:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2011-03-14, 12:55 AM
Were some of you serious about people liking midwestern accents? Because from what I can tell we all sound like whining cats half the time. The other half of the time is spent referring to people as, "you guys," employing the singular, "they," and saying things like, "my midwestern friends and me fail at grammar because of sentences like this."

The worst part is that most of us don't even realize that we have an accent until we run into someone with a different accent who is not used to it. I've been catching myself with it lately, but I'm not sure what to do about it. It's hard to pronounce your As and Os normally once they have shifted upwards enough.

Does anyone here roll their Rs, I wonder? I can occasionally do the throaty sort of Scottish R-roll, but the Castellano one always comes out like, "airdleday."

When I was in high school, someone pointed out that I had somehow developed another accent that was apparently unique to my circle of friends at the time. It mostly involved drawing out certain vowels, the main example being the way I would pronounce school as "skoo-wool," but it wasn't really southern-sounding. We never really figured out where it came from. Weird!

Brother Oni
2011-03-14, 07:43 AM
I've heard that Russian accents get easy to understand after about our fifth vodka.

Their fifth vodka or your fifth vodka? :smalltongue:

Actually, after five vodkas, I don't think anybody really cares. :smallbiggrin:

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-14, 08:27 AM
Were some of you serious about people liking midwestern accents? Because from what I can tell we all sound like whining cats half the time. The other half of the time is spent referring to people as, "you guys," employing the singular, "they," and saying things like, "my midwestern friends and me fail at grammar because of sentences like this."

It's worth noting that "midwestern" accent is not actually the dominant accent in the midwest, nor unique to the midwest. It is simply the term used for the American prestige dialect, otherwise known as "newscaster" accent. It is what a large portion of foreign people think of when they think of American accents (those that don't automatically default to "Texas cowboy" stereotyping, at least), because it's on all of our television.

Adlan
2011-03-14, 09:54 AM

My Platoon Commander and CQB instructor was Glaswegian. The Accent gets thicker when talking about Violence too. It's quite possible that Glaswegian's are a gentle and noble people, it's just when they drink, they can't understand each other, and when they can't understand each other, they are worried the other one will be violent, which means they get even less comprehensible, and resort to blows.

For'Ninniach
2011-03-14, 11:23 AM

LOL, okay, all my friends are like "SQUEEE ~ YOUR COUSIN IS SO ADORABLE!"
Because he's from the UK. Aw jebus, I don't get this whole British accent sexy time thing.
But, German accents,
Hoho.

It's worth noting that "midwestern" accent is not actually the dominant accent in the midwest, nor unique to the midwest. It is simply the term used for the American prestige dialect, otherwise known as "newscaster" accent. It is what a large portion of foreign people think of when they think of American accents (those that don't automatically default to "Texas cowboy" stereotyping, at least), because it's on all of our television.

I'm from the Midwest, and oh jeez. I'm beginning to get a Fargo accent. I lived in the Minnesota northwoods for quite a time, and everyone there spoke like that. I'm embarrassed. xD

My family from Iowa says "Toozdee" instead of "Toosday". They say "Dee" instead of "Day",
its hilarious.

Pika...
2011-03-14, 11:39 AM
I'm from the Midwest, and oh jeez. I'm beginning to get a Fargo accent. I lived in the Minnesota northwoods for quite a time, and everyone there spoke like that. I'm embarrassed. xD

My family from Iowa says "Toozdee" instead of "Toosday". They say "Dee" instead of "Day",
its hilarious.

Well, at least I believe on girls Midwest/Southern accents seem to be a lot more liked by guys than the reverse. So it is probably a plus.

On guys, well I don't mean to sound ignorant, but it makes me think of farmers and less book-smarts type of people. I know it is a stereotype, but I bring it up because this thread got me thinking about how accents not only can be liked/disliked in an attraction sense, but they naturally bring up as much stereotypes/pre-disposed opinions of a person when first met as say race and nationality. Or is this just me?

Crow
2011-03-14, 01:20 PM
I agree. I can listen to a genius telling me about astrophysics and rocket science; but as soon as I hear that southern drawl, it's like "pssh, you're an idiot..."

Erloas
2011-03-14, 01:45 PM
but I bring it up because this thread got me thinking about how accents not only can be liked/disliked in an attraction sense, but they naturally bring up as much stereotypes/pre-disposed opinions of a person when first met as say race and nationality. Or is this just me?
That is essentially the entirety of what makes an accent attractive. The preconceived association of the accent and the type of person you imagine with it. In the case of unknown accents it comes down to how you view those "mysterious" strangers types.

pffh
2011-03-14, 02:29 PM

Well I've been told I have a fake Russian accent. That is I sound like someone trying to fake a russian accent without having heard a Russian accent or so my foreign friends tell me and it amuses them when I say "nuclear vessels" no idea why.

Anyway if anyone is interested in hearing the Icelandic accent http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189562 here ya go (shameless plug activated :smallwink: )

On topic of sexy accents Irish and Welsh are a favourite of mine but I wouldn't say a no to a lady with a southern USA accent or danish one.
On the other hand I can't stand a Swedish accent. They all sound so happy and it's like they're about to break into song and dance.

Crow
2011-03-14, 02:55 PM
Anyway if anyone is interested in hearing the Icelandic accent http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189562 here ya go (shameless plug activated :smallwink: )

Yup, sounds about right. :) Now that you mentioned it though, I can understand the idea of it sounding like a "fake russian" accent. You sound like the stereotypical smoking russian in an american action film. Though I think that may be more due to the way your voice's pitch interacts with your accent.

Tiger Duck
2011-03-14, 03:32 PM
Well this is my Accent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10503299&postcount=1003).

I don't think it's anything spectacular.

Pika...
2011-03-14, 03:40 PM
That is essentially the entirety of what makes an accent attractive. The preconceived association of the accent and the type of person you imagine with it. In the case of unknown accents it comes down to how you view those "mysterious" strangers types.

I can see the reasoning there. Makes sense I guess.

Elder Tsofu
2011-03-14, 03:50 PM
I'm Swedish, and apparently I have a "British" accent according to some Americans/Indians/Chinese I've worked with. I doubt that they know what they talk about - but as long as they think it is what British sounds like it is all good! :smalltongue:
But then again, I didn't have any trouble walking from all the women "falling for my accent" - so it was probably not genuine.

Accents are nice though. And horrible. Probably mostly horrible.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-14, 04:45 PM
In the immortal words of Russel Peters (talking about Brown aka East Indian accent):

Indian people are fully aware of what their accent sounds like. We know that it's not the coolest accent in the world. You won't see two Indian guys standing around in a club saying "Aren't we cool? Don't we sound really hip? We gonna meet all the bitches tonight!"

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw6RgIf6epQ)

Me personally... Russian accents are not sexy. I actually had a tiny little Asian girl I was hitting on tell me I sound scary... Although that's when I actually have it. It appears and disappears randomly. Sometimes it sounds mildly Quebecois. About half the time I just sound like a typical West Coast American English speaker (which I get the feeling is probably the Queen's English of the modern day thanks to Hollywood).

Although... I can pull of an authentic sounding Brown accent (to the point where I can make people think I'm Indian on the phone and once, start speaking Punjabi to me). And I screwed around a few times pretending to be Terminator Austrian.

Spacefarer
2011-03-14, 06:36 PM
Apparently this is what I sound like....

Michigan Native (http://www.michigannative.com/ma_idiosyncrasies.shtml)

Just a fun little site I stumbled upon years ago when trying to determine my accent's place in the universe.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-14, 11:07 PM
Well this is my Accent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10503299&postcount=1003).

I don't think it's anything spectacular.

There's no accent there. Nor is there a video or anything. :smallfrown:

Tiger Duck
2011-03-15, 01:56 AM
Ah yes the Emotion was a link :smallsmile: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNEyCblHXno)
like this one is

GenericGuy
2011-03-15, 02:00 AM
I’ve said it before, but I just don’t understand the appeal of accents:smallconfused:. I just think it’s an odd thing to find attractive. I doubt many find the “typical” American/Californian accent attractive, for it’s the most common in American media and therefore sorta “ordinary” and non-exotic.

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 02:35 AM
I have a recitation of Jabberwocky around here somewhere. It's... it's pretty embarrassing, though :smallredface:

Tiger Duck
2011-03-15, 06:04 AM
I remember that, you did it out of memory IIRC, it was nice :smallsmile:

Psyborg
2011-03-16, 11:55 PM
For reference, I'm in the USA; born in New England/last few years in Virginia.

Southern accents are abominable. The really slow drawly ones? Infuriating. The redneck variation is worse than the southern belle one, though.

New England accents are a pleasant reminder of what some portion of my subconscious still thinks is home. Boston accents, being (as someone said already) basically the New England one up to eleven, get about the same reaction.

Note that New York (City, not state) and (New) Jersey accents are not New England ones, though I run into them infrequently enough that I don't have a real strong opinion on them.

"Black" accents are annoying, but not to the degree that redneck southern ones are.

Hispanic accents are...*shrug*...No real opinion, positive or negative.

Foreign-wise...I absolutely love Irish, like English (those that I've heard, which were emphatically not Cockney, nor upper-class Queen's English, but which I can't identify more specifically than that), mildly dislike Scottish, and haven't heard Welsh or...basically any of the other ones people have been discussing here.

Except "brown"/Indian/Pakistani, which I can't really judge fairly because I've only heard it on Big Bang Theory and telephone "help" lines...not a good sample. :smallamused:

Felixaar
2011-03-17, 01:13 AM
Hmm, I was repeatedly told while overseas that women found my Australian accent sexy. That said, I don't actually have much of an Australian accent (I'm often mistaken for PNW/Canada), and all the people who told me that were men. So, take from that what you will.

Serpentine
2011-03-17, 02:10 AM
Actually... I think I like the Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan accent*. I'm not sure I can say I find it sexy, but it's nice. Sort of musical and soft and cottony and satisfying in the ear and the mouth...

*I have no doubt that they're actually very different, but I can't tell :smalltongue:

Amiel
2011-03-17, 02:23 AM
Many Australians especially love an accent; it adds mystery and a sense of the exotic (and thus allure) to the individual.
French seems to be popular as are certain UK accents (Scottish, Welsh).

Kneenibble
2011-03-17, 02:30 AM
Well I've been told I have a fake Russian accent. That is I sound like someone trying to fake a russian accent without having heard a Russian accent or so my foreign friends tell me and it amuses them when I say "nuclear vessels" no idea why.

Well I'm no lady, but you have a really entertaining accent (and a nice voice beside). It rings of a lovechild of Russian and Scottish. The only other time I've heard an Icelandic accent, however, was when Bjork was interviewed with Thom Yorke on Space Ghost.

Ah yes the Emotion was a link :smallsmile: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNEyCblHXno)
like this one is
That is a very pleasant and cute accent.

Actually... I think I like the Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan accent*. I'm not sure I can say I find it sexy, but it's nice. Sort of musical and soft and cottony and satisfying in the ear and the mouth...

*I have no doubt that they're actually very different, but I can't tell :smalltongue:
Some of Sri Lanka and south India speak Tamil (pardon to the non-Tamil Sri Lankans), and it produces indeed quite a different accent from the northern Hindi, Urdu, or Punjabi speakers'. If you had them all side by side speaking you'd certainly hear it.

But I agree for sure -- I find all those accents pleasant; particularly because they often have that little bit of English accent in the mix.