PDA

View Full Version : How early can you start kids on D&D?

Pika...
2011-03-11, 01:58 PM
So, I am talking to this girl who I might date (I am already her co-parent :smallbiggrin:), and her friend has me on the list next for when she finishes school.

Anyway, the point is the second one just told me she played D&D!

I half-jokingly said "well, maybe we can run a game for the kids and us". She was all for it and likes the idea. :smallbiggrin:

So, what age can you start kids in gaming?

arguskos
2011-03-11, 02:00 PM
I started at the age of 9. Been playing since. Makes it... 13 years now. Sounds like a fine start to me. :smallcool:

Dvil
2011-03-11, 02:00 PM
There is no minimum! As early as physically possible!

Not entirely serious.

druid91
2011-03-11, 02:01 PM
I started playing at 4. Though my dad handled all the rules.

Pika...
2011-03-11, 02:03 PM
I started playing at 4. Though my dad handled all the rules.

Aww........

Dr.Epic
2011-03-11, 02:03 PM
I got into D&D when the Peter Jackson's LotR came out. I was around 11 when the Fellowship came out. I guess 10 is good so long as they have the math for the mechanics and imagination for the roleplaying. Oh, and this goes without saying but hold off on the BoV.:smallwink:

Icewalker
2011-03-11, 02:06 PM
As soon as they can handle murder and looting without a possible worrying impact on their moral development?

Alternatively, make your own kiddie dnd.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-11, 02:07 PM
My parents started me at around 7. You have to handle the rules for kids, mostly, but there's a good chance they'll have a lot of fun if you don't force them to do character creation the first time around.

Also worth noting that in my early days of D&D, we fireballed a room full of goblins. They turned out to be goblin women and children. I don't THINK that impacted my moral development...

Aidan305
2011-03-11, 02:35 PM
My 6-year old niece was asking me what that game I got out of the attic was at Christmas (World of Greyhawk Box Set). I figure I'll give her another couple of years before introducing her and my nephew to the game.

Penguinsushi
2011-03-11, 03:27 PM
There is no minimum! As early as physically possible!

Not entirely serious.

I would tend to agree, but this probably more closely depends on "as soon as psychologically possible."

Putting D&D aside, I found this (http://savageearth.net/PS-RPG_0.2) through the Fear the Boot (http://feartheboot.com) podcast. It's a pre-school rpg created by a fellow by the name of Keith Curtis for his (then) 4-year-old daughter. It looks pretty cool, IMO.

~PS

Zaydos
2011-03-11, 03:29 PM
I started at 6 years of age. My older brother was 11 and helped me with a few of the rules but I learned them quick. Then again this was Basic (which is so simple), so you might have to help a fair bit with the rules if this is AD&D in any of its four editions.

Zar Peter
2011-03-11, 03:30 PM
I introduced my son and my daughter at 8 and 6. It's very hard when the kids can't read, though, so my youngest isn't playing yet but I think I will change it this summer.

You can't play with them too long, more than 2 hours is enough.

Character creating should be done beforehand since this is very boring for the kids and they might lose interest.

Edit: I'm referring to DnD 3.5 since that is the only RP I know the rules.

factotum
2011-03-11, 04:14 PM
I first played it when I was 12 or thereabouts. Would have got started earlier, but that was back in 1982 and D&D hadn't been around for long! :smallsmile:

Ytaker
2011-03-11, 04:48 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MS_HeroesHesiod.pdf

Start with simplified versions like that, to get them used to it. They suggest 6 and up.

Incomp
2011-03-11, 05:02 PM
I started DnD when I was...oh, 14, I think. To me, right around there seems to be about the time when a kid can handle "real" DnD, (Serious choices, roleplaying, and morality as opposed to hack 'n slash) but getting them hooked on the game earlier is fine.

Also, it depends on your edition. 4th is much more action-oriented and simple than 3.5.

But, most importantly, it's different for everyone. The kid is ready when he is, and no earlier, in my opinion.

Lord Loss
2011-03-11, 05:50 PM
This (http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-hour/298191-deforchs-adventures-my-sons-first-game-updated-2-28-a.html) is the best example of GMing for younger children that I could find. 4e D&D that goes amazingly well, with one (sometimes two) four-year old players.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-11, 05:55 PM
have a game set up in the delivery room

Lateral
2011-03-11, 06:01 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/425380238_a3e6949e05.jpg
As soon as they stop crying. :smallamused:

aart lover
2011-03-11, 06:03 PM
i find 10-12 to be the ideal age. me and my friends tried at the age of 9, were horribly lost, then 3 years later we decided to take another wack at it, and somehow it all made sense:smalleek:. only 10 more years to go b4 i can indoctrinate my nephew into the cult game.:smallamused:mwahahahaha...

Kuma Da
2011-03-11, 06:05 PM
So, I am talking to this girl who I might date (I am already her co-parent :smallbiggrin:), and her friend has me on the list next for when she finishes school.

...what?

To answer your question, I'd say that roleplaying is probably something for people to find their way to, not be trained in. When a kid decides that they want to play, they're old enough.

But, seriously, what does that original post mean? All I see is dating and co-parents and lists, and not one gram of sense does it make. :smallconfused:

Maxios
2011-03-11, 06:18 PM
I started D&D back when I was 6 or 7 years old, and understood very, very, well.
However, if you plan on starting kids out on D&D 3.5, I suggest simplifying the Grappling and AoO rules.
I'd recommend starting them out on something like Toon, something very basic so they get the idea of what an RPG is.
Then, have them try out D&D. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Remmirath
2011-03-11, 06:28 PM
I started (with AD&D) when I was about six. It worked out fine, though my mom had to help me quite a bit with the rules back then - but I'd already been reading for a few years. My younger brother didn't start playing until later, because he started reading later.

So, basically I'd say: as soon as they can read well enough to read the books, or at the very least their character sheet. Although I do agree with the 'as soon as they show interest' bit someone said earlier, since I recall that I asked (don't remember for sure about my brother, but I think he did, too). Most people like doing things they already think are interesting more.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-11, 06:37 PM
As soon as they stop crying. :smallamused:

A true munchkin never stops crying and whinnying over stupid rules.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-11, 08:16 PM
Started... at 13 or so I guess... I was a late starter; but I really got the rules down quickly, once the most n00b player on my group, now the resident rules-layer and optimizer :smallcool:.

Still I suggest you try to get them into fantasy (or sci-fi or whatever is your favourite genre) first, then if they are interested try to talk them into a game. I would suggest a more complex game like Anima Beyond fantasy or D&D 3.5; but I have always loved complex and counter-intuitive things :smallredface:.
Having said that I suggest D&D 4e for the ease of understanding.

Nix Nihila
2011-03-11, 11:39 PM
Well, I started at 7, but I probably wouldn't start early than 4 or 5, and that's only if the child expresses interest.

Lex-Kat
2011-03-11, 11:53 PM

...what?

But, seriously, what does that original post mean? All I see is dating and co-parents and lists, and not one gram of sense does it make. :smallconfused:
Honestly, this confused me as well.

My answer to "How early..." is whenever the child/children can comprehend that it is only a game, not reality. Basically, when they can psychologically handle it, as Penguinsushi said.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-11, 11:56 PM
I started playing at 15, I wish I had started earlier, as a lot of the guys I knew that played (and the ones that introduced me to it) graduated or moved away over the next year, and I had very few people to play with after.

I did, however, get 8 freshmen addicted to the game when I was 17.

valadil
2011-03-12, 12:07 AM
I started in 6th grade. I think most 10 year olds could handle it. Some kids could probably play earlier, but not all of them. Freeform storytelling works for all ages though and I'd probably start with that as soon as the kid could talk.

Kallisti
2011-03-12, 12:10 AM
We have been playing D&D since We were six, and playing it by the rules since We were ten, so make of that what you will.

RTGoodman
2011-03-12, 01:37 AM
D&D blogger NewbieDM (of newbiedm.com) has created a game called rpgKids (http://newbiedm.com/rpgkids/). It's a really simple game that uses opposed d12 rolls with minimal modifiers, designed for kids 4 and up. It worked well with his kids, and almost ALL of the reviews have been glowing. Maybe check it out? (As a bonus, it's cheap at only like $3 and comes with not just the rules but tokens AND an introductory adventure.)

I personally didn't start until about 12-15 years old, but that's because I didn't know anyone who played until then. I've run sessions (especially at 4E Game Days) for kids around 8-10 years old, and they did pretty well.

grimbold
2011-03-12, 03:06 AM
my friend taught his cousins and nephews how to do some basic math through D&D
the kids were ranging in age from 6-8

Pika...
2011-03-12, 08:59 AM
...what?

To answer your question, I'd say that roleplaying is probably something for people to find their way to, not be trained in. When a kid decides that they want to play, they're old enough.

LoL. Her friend jumped on the chance to have me as a cop-parent as well. :smallbiggrin:

So while I might/will likely end up dating girl 1, girl 2 plays D&D and liked the idea of running for the kids.

Diva De
2011-03-12, 09:09 AM
My older son was the official "the die fell off the table, call out the number before you pick it up" retriever when he was two. But that doesn't count as playing. Anyway, it depends on the child and their level of development. You could run a simplified version (certainly of 4e) that kids could play if they could do the math. But you would have to be veeeeeeery descriptive, and possibly make the characters for them and just let them pick what they like most.

GeekGirl
2011-03-14, 10:21 AM
A freind and I just started getting his daughter involved, shes 9 but has been asking to play for a few years now.

Telonius
2011-03-14, 10:37 AM
Well, my own daughter is about 19 months old, and she already has a cute little Cthulhu knitted toy. Does that count? :smallbiggrin:

Kuma Kode
2011-03-14, 10:47 AM
Assuming you start it out simple, it can be fun for pretty young children.

Obviously, it's best to avoid games with moral greys and mature topics, but kids could probably enjoy lighthearted, light gaming based on fairytales. Go slay the dragon and whatnot.

The Disney fairytales, not the disturbingly graphic stories they're based on. :smalleek:

Corlindale
2011-03-14, 03:04 PM
D&D may be a bit complex for the really young, but you can definetely start doing something simpler very early on. I played a lot of Sword and Sorcery when I was younger, extremely basic rules and easy to work with.

Playing system-less can also work. I tried to run a "game" for my then 6-year-old little sister, where there was no system, a simple story, and where I drew the map of the area as she moved along, to help her visualize. I think it was a basic fairy-tale plot, might have been slaying a dragon, or rescuing a princess (although - I'm pretty sure she was a princess...). I also made a shop where she could choose between a couple of helpful items, she seemed to find that fun.

The best part was that she wanted to run a "game" afterwards, for the rest of the family. It was great fun -even though it was pretty heavily inspired by what she had just played (Although I thought the option to purchase a gun that shoots butterflies that shoot diamonds was pure creative genius:smallsmile:), and even though - I'm sad to say - she did railroad us a lot...

Ajadea
2011-03-14, 05:58 PM
I started...when I was about 7, I think. On D&D 3.5. Started DMing for my friends when I was 9. Considering we were all 9-ish, that worked. We played by the rules, sort of. Though my friend did let me surf on a shield spell by giving up the bonus to AC and making a Spellcraft check (to flip it below my feet).

Even now, if the plan is suitably awesome and cool, I am strongly inclined to bend the rules in favor of said awesome cool plan.

This may have been influenced by the fact that the DM I played with in my first game let the spellcasters use my two produce flame spells and the sorcerer's scorching ray spell and a load of Spellcraft rolls to make a magic rocket-propelled mine cart.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-14, 06:03 PM
I've run a solo 4E game with a 7 year old. Worked out pretty well actually.

Diva De
2011-03-14, 09:24 PM
We played by the rules, sort of. Though my friend did let me surf on a shield spell by giving up the bonus to AC and making a Spellcraft check (to flip it below my feet).

Even now, if the plan is suitably awesome and cool, I am strongly inclined to bend the rules in favor of said awesome cool plan.

This may have been influenced by the fact that the DM I played with in my first game let the spellcasters use my two produce flame spells and the sorcerer's scorching ray spell and a load of Spellcraft rolls to make a magic rocket-propelled mine cart.

We have a descriptive phrase for that in our games. You can get experience bonus points for "clever but futile" ideas.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-14, 09:30 PM
What bette way to run a game for children then but on the Rule of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool).

Alarra
2011-03-14, 10:42 PM
I started at 9, though there were younger kids at the table. Pickle (19 months) sits on my lap and rolls the dice for me and draws on my character sheet. Does that count?

hobbitkniver
2011-03-14, 10:48 PM
I started before I could read, though I'm not sure it was even close to official rules.

CaptainRectum
2011-03-15, 07:22 AM
I started pretty young too.

But you should remember to take it easy on them. They could start BAWWWing if their characters die. =D

Wargor
2011-03-15, 07:32 AM
Honestly, this confused me as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I still don't get what was meant. :smalleek:. As for age, I was about 14 and I was perfectly fine playing it, I'd say 12 is the youngest I'd go with for "proper" dnd though.

Penguinsushi
2011-03-15, 02:04 PM
I started at 9, though there were younger kids at the table. Pickle (19 months) sits on my lap and rolls the dice for me and draws on my character sheet. Does that count?

Yes. That is awesome, and always counts... :smallbiggrin:

~PS

Flame of Anor
2011-03-15, 05:21 PM
4e D&D that goes amazingly well, with one (sometimes two) four-year old players.

That's great for the four-year-olds, but you're reminding me why I'm sticking with 3.5. :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2011-03-17, 01:46 PM
This definitely needs to be added to this conversation:

From BoingBoing.net (http://boingboing.net):

I turned my 4-year-old daughter into a Dungeons & Dragons geek (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/16/i-turned-my-4-year-o.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+boingboing/iBag+(Boing+Boing)) (adorable video).

:smallbiggrin:

~PS

Dragon Elite
2011-03-17, 11:13 PM
I started around the age of 7, because Yugioh had taught me to read.

My parents are gamers, if it wasn't obvious.

RTGoodman
2011-03-20, 11:05 AM
This definitely needs to be added to this conversation:

From BoingBoing.net (http://boingboing.net):

I turned my 4-year-old daughter into a Dungeons & Dragons geek (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/16/i-turned-my-4-year-o.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+boingboing/iBag+(Boing+Boing)) (adorable video).

:smallbiggrin:

~PS

Yep, that's the rpgKids I mentioned at the bottom of page 1. It's a neat little system, and he's working on more stuff for it. (Adventures, etc.)