PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking a character for 3.5

No brains
2011-03-11, 03:23 PM
My friend wants to get into some kind of RP group but hates rules more adamantly than a diamond. As it turns out however, the character is fairly simple in concept and could be made exactly as specified with a 10th level sorcerer or similar class, but I want to trim details down as much as possible so she can start in lower level (less complicated) encounters. Help me find the lowest ECL possible for these specs.

Estimated abilities are pretty average
Str11
Dex15
Con13
Int11
Wis14
Cha11

She is a human of average durability (no higher than d8 I guess). Who has telekinetic powers. They range only out to about 8 feet at first, but are strong enough to 'rip a person cleanly in half' or 'lift a sail boat'. I'm guessing that giving Telekinesis a range of close could knock it down by two spell levels, but it still sounds really strong, so successively more powerful spells or psi powers that work like telekinesis would be better, I think.

What spells/ psi powers work like telekinesis? Creative license is encouraged here, like saying Mage Armor is Telekinetic Defense or Orb of Force is lesser TK punch. Mage Hand is a pretty ubiquitous example of 'lesser telekinesis' but I want to be able to ensure she has a good selection of TK related spells at every level.

A separate sticky wicket is that the character has a magic item that seems to have artifact level powers. It is described as being able to 'grant wishes in exchange for life force'. Wish always sends chills down DMs' spines, but I think I can handle it merely enough as a means of making magic items that can use the vile rules for souls as GP or XP to create items. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Another worthy note on this item is that it was the source of her telekinetic powers, but she doesn't need it to supply her anymore. Another good bonus that can keep its power balanced is that the player is guarding it so nobody else can use it, implying that they most likely won't abuse it.

Recap: Need a class with no higher than d8 HD that has ample access to spells or powers that work like telekinesis, and I need suggestion on how to handle a PC who has acquired an artifact in their backstory.

Thank you all for your help.

Prime32
2011-03-12, 10:51 AM
Minimum ECL: 3

Two levels of savage progression ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) with incorporeality refluffed as using the telekinesis to block nonmagical attacks. Take the Ghostly Grasp feat so she can interact with physical objects.

If you don't want to be undead, take the Human Heritage or Otherworldly feats. If the player is annoyed that they have the ability to pass through walls but can't use it, have plane shift cast on the character prior to the events of the game so they end up on the Material Plane.

You don't need to tell the player exactly what you're doing - just give them the end stats and call it a "+2LA telekinetic template".

Make her a spellcaster. The artefact is simply a spell component pouch/spellbook/divine focus, with its wishes being spells (note that one of the uses of wish and limited wish is duplicating spells).

No brains
2011-03-12, 06:30 PM
Minimum ECL: 3

Two levels of savage progression ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) with incorporeality refluffed as using the telekinesis to block nonmagical attacks. Take the Ghostly Grasp feat so she can interact with physical objects.

If you don't want to be undead, take the Human Heritage or Otherworldly feats. If the player is annoyed that they have the ability to pass through walls but can't use it, have plane shift cast on the character prior to the events of the game so they end up on the Material Plane.

You don't need to tell the player exactly what you're doing - just give them the end stats and call it a "+2LA telekinetic template".

Make her a spellcaster. The artefact is simply a spell component pouch/spellbook/divine focus, with its wishes being spells (note that one of the uses of wish and limited wish is duplicating spells).

Excellent suggestions! Did you step forward or did the other 80 viewers take a step back?:smallsmile:

Let me get see if I have interpreted this correctly: If a ghost doesn't manifest and instead takes a plane shift, they are a corporeal? Do I still need ghost grasp if I use this cheat? Do they still have the miss chance?

My only concern is if the character has a +2 LA, aren't they a little screwed as a caster? What can I do to get around that?

Again, thanks a lot. I was beginning to lose hope on this. :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2011-03-12, 06:56 PM
Let me get see if I have interpreted this correctly: If a ghost doesn't manifest and instead takes a plane shift, they are a corporeal? Do I still need ghost grasp if I use this cheat? Do they still have the miss chance?The ghost is corporeal on the Ethereal Plane, but can project an incorporeal extension of itself onto the Material Plane. If it's already on the Material Plane this ability does not function.

You miss the coolness of flight and negating nonmagical weapons with your telekinesis though.

The Mad Linguist is known for pimping ghosts - here's his handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10975).

My only concern is if the character has a +2 LA, aren't they a little screwed as a caster? What can I do to get around that?LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), or use a gish class. If it's just 2 you should be able to cope, since telekinesis is pretty powerful and you're only one spell level behind. Apart from that, take Practiced Spellcaster so your CL won't take a hit.

No brains
2011-03-12, 07:02 PM
Where can I find the Human Heritage and Otherworldly Feats?

Where can I find the Gish Class?

Prime32
2011-03-12, 07:07 PM
Where can I find the Human Heritage and Otherworldly Feats?The details are in TML's handbook, linked.

Where can I find the Gish Class?Gish isn't a class, it's a term for a character who can both fight and cast spells. Normally this requires careful PrCing but psychic warrior, ardent (Complete Psionic) and duskblade (PHB2) can pull it off on their own.

No brains
2011-03-12, 07:38 PM
Hey, how would a Humanoid (human) get along with Constitution as a non-ability?

Just covering all the bases.