PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Scruffy vs. Greebo

St Fan
2011-03-11, 04:48 PM
Okay, I usually stay away from those X vs. Y fights from two different continuities, but here I can't resist...

On the right side, Mr. Scruffy the white cat, animal companion of Belkar Bitterleaf of the Order of the Stick.

On the left side, Greebo the one-eyed mangy cat, pet of mistress Nanny Ogg the witch from Discworld.

Place your bets. Who would win?

Fight!

Forum Explorer
2011-03-11, 04:59 PM
This may be the most even fight of all time. I'm going with Greebo though because he can A) turn human and B) win against a crowd of people.

Themrys
2011-03-11, 05:02 PM
Greebo, most probably. Mr. Scruffy seems to have spent most of his time sitting on Lord Shojos lap, while Greebo has fought all the neighborhood cats.

While Greebo has not yet killed someone with one scratch, that's only because Nanny would disapprove. He has eaten a vampire, though, which proves that he defeat humanlike creatures. :smallsmile:

CorvusOmbra
2011-03-11, 05:03 PM
If cornered and driven to fight, I'd bet Greebo would be one coming out of it as a winner. Just think his feats listed in Witches Abroad alone - a wolf, a bear and a vampire all in a night's work.

Edit:

@ Forum Explorer: He was turned temporarily, I think, ā la Cinderella. I don't recall he gained the ability to turn unassisted.

@ Themrys: The vampire was in the bat form if I remember correctly. But fighting wild beasts proves he can take fight to most humans as well.

It has been some time since I read the book, so I can be wrong. I better check out...

cd4
2011-03-11, 05:18 PM
Well in witches abroad he tried to play with a fully grown bull.

With the shape-change he was revealed in Maskarade to now have another option in his list in a tight corner - become human, it doesn't last long and he spends most of the time looking for a some pants.

I would put it Greebo's way unless Mr Scruffy has a talk with You first. You is found in Wintersmith and is one of the few that has defeated him, the others being the Nac Mac Freegle.

Themrys
2011-03-11, 05:21 PM
I guess You's method of defeating Greebo wouldn't work for Mr. Scruffy, though.

martianmister
2011-03-11, 07:38 PM
Definitely Greebo. :smallamused:

Xorbon
2011-03-12, 12:49 AM
Mr. Scruffy would win because I've never read Diskworld, and I'm biased.

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-12, 03:32 AM
Did anyone else misread the title as "Mr. Scruffy vs. Greedo" and think this thread would debate whether Scruffy could strike first?

ThirdEmperor
2011-03-12, 03:54 AM
Yes.

And I'd say Mr. Scruffy, cause I think he's Shojo.

faustin
2011-03-12, 05:13 AM
Aside from yesterday strip (cat vs level 1 commoner) or messing up with Tsukikoīs face, I donīt really see Mr Scruffy as fighter, but more like a hidden, low profile mastermind.:smallbiggrin:

ThePhantasm
2011-03-12, 06:05 AM
Did anyone else misread the title as "Mr. Scruffy vs. Greedo" and think this thread would debate whether Scruffy could strike first?

I did! :smallwink:

Kareasint
2011-03-12, 09:46 AM
Mr. Scruffy would win because I've never read Diskworld, and I'm biased.

Greebo would probably kill Mr. Scruffy.

May I recommend the book Equal Rites. This will get you started with the witches portion of the Discworld series.

Joerg
2011-03-12, 01:49 PM
Greebo would probably kill Mr. Scruffy.

No. Cats are like witches (at least on Discworld): it doesn't make sense to kill the opponent, because then she wouldn't know that she's lost.

Sholos
2011-03-12, 02:49 PM
Mr. Scruffy is obviously the offspring of Greebo. Thus, they would team up and fight alligators together in Genua, bears in Lancre, and anything and everything else elsewhere!

MoonCat
2011-03-12, 03:03 PM
Greebo wins, hands down.

Mr. Scruffy may have more brains, while Greebo fights on instinct, but Greebo is enormous, has better experience, and can become a human. Two things have been able to overcome him, a female kitten and a gigantic cockerel. And unless Greebo is threatening the Belkster, I doubt Mr. Scruffy would even be bothered to fight much.

paddyfool
2011-03-12, 03:33 PM
a gigantic cockerel

And not just any cockerel
He happened to be a god.

MoonCat
2011-03-12, 03:39 PM
And not just any cockerel
He happened to be a god.

No he wasn't. He was the familiar to the voodoo lady, but not a god himself.

Skorj
2011-03-16, 01:39 AM
Greebo of course, but that's because we're comparing across levels. We've likely seen the end of Greebo's story - Greebo at his most experienced and deadly, with a great many fights behind him - while we're just seeing that start of Mr Scruffy's story.

Much like Batman in his first few years would stand no chance against Superman, but Batman at 60 is a different story. Maybe we'll see some further Scruffy development, to give us a hint how he'll end up in his later years: a more fair comparison with epic Greebo.

Ancalagon
2011-03-16, 04:45 AM
Mr. Scruffy has highly magical claws.

A cat does, in 3.5, 1d2 - 4 damage. As familiar of a ranger as Belkar's level, he get's +2 to str, so he still does 1d2 -3 damage.

A level 1 commoner has a d4 has HD and no rule states that NPC-classes get the first HD full, so he has 2 HP. Given he got chosen as gladiator, he probably has decent Con. Let's not overdo it and assume the minimum mod of +1 (Con 12 or something, which is "above average"). I find it unlikely that someone picked as gladiator has only 12 Con, but I'm going to set a minimum here.

This means he has 3 HP.

Let's assume an NPC-schmuck dies at 0 HP instead of -10, this seems to be the rule, given how fast all the NPCs in OotS died. It seems very unlikely all those goblins and robbers etc get oneshotted from >0 to -10 all the time.

This means Mr. Scruff has to do AT LEAST 3 HP of damage (at least: The NPC could have a higher base HP, get a full HD as first HD, have more con (which seems likely)).

This would put the lowest possible(!) bonus of Mr. Scruffy's claws to dam and probably to hit as well at... +5. Given this is the absolute minimum, a bonus of +7 or some other damage enhancement seems not unlikely.
The claws also seem pretty "keen" to me as well.

Now, that is an epic cat!

Themrys
2011-03-16, 04:58 AM
No he wasn't. He was the familiar to the voodoo lady, but not a god himself.

Debatable, I remember he was named after a voodoo god/spiritual being/whatever, whether this means anything or is just a joke of the author, we don't know.

Sholos
2011-03-16, 09:19 AM
Two things have been able to overcome him, a female kitten and a gigantic cockerel.

Wait, when did the kitten thing happen?

MoonCat
2011-03-16, 12:36 PM
Wait, when did the kitten thing happen?

You is Granny's kitten in the Wintersmith. Beats him up persycholgically*.

*:smallwink:

Ajadea
2011-03-17, 01:29 PM
Depends. If Mr. Scruffy can pull off a successful impersonation of You, he wins. Otherwise Greebo wins.

MoonCat
2011-03-17, 05:43 PM
Depends. If Mr. Scruffy can pull off a successful impersonation of You, he wins. Otherwise Greebo wins.

Mr Scruffy is not small, and he smells male.

Zaydos
2011-03-17, 08:02 PM
Greebo.

I like Mr. Scruffy but Greebo would take this one.

grimbold
2011-03-19, 07:04 AM
i am very tempted to stat them up now and run a fight between them