PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hellbred, Dragonborn and alignment

Thurbane
2011-03-11, 06:34 PM
Just pondering something, which is probably beyond the scope of Q&A By RAW.

The fluff for both of these races strongly indicates that they need to be Good-aligned. The Dragonborn template has being non-evil as a prereq.

Is there any mechanical penalty to these races turning evil? Would Dragonborn lose their template?

In RP terms, there's likely to be consequences, or course. An Evil Dragonborn is likely to get hunted down by agents of Bahamanut. An Evil Hellbred will get his soul sucked irrevocably down to the Nine Hells when he dies.

Thoughts? Ideas?

- T

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 06:41 PM
Fallen Dragonborn lose their template very painfully. There's a section on it in their section of RotD. IIRC an Aspect of Bahumut sometimes shows up to warn you before this happens, which could theoretically lead to hilarity where you sin to summon backup.

Amnestic
2011-03-11, 06:46 PM
There's a section about Ex-Dragonborn in RotD...hang on...

In all but the worst of crimes, an aspect of Bahamut will pop up to complain a bit before telling you how to make things right and buggering off. If the Dragonborn doesn't repent and perform the quest for Bahamut, their skin gets all sloughy and they take 2d6 damage/round which lasts for 1 round/HD. Once it's finished, a Dragonborn is their normal original racial self again, I assume they'd get all their lost racial traits back once more.

Blue Ghost
2011-03-11, 06:46 PM
Seems that fallen Hellbred are quite common. The example Hellfire Warlock was an evil hellbred, if I recall correctly.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-11, 07:00 PM
Hellbred can go evil. After all, the entire reason they are hellbred is that their repentance for all their evil deeds are suspect. The punishment that hellbred suffer for going evil is...well, they're still damned, but likely more so since they almost slipped out of the devil's clutches.

As others have said, RotD covers fallen dragonborn.

Thurbane
2011-03-11, 08:04 PM
Ah...missed that section of RotD - thanks for the heads up. :smallredface:

Fun fact: Hellbred fluff says they must perform a great act of redemption to avoid going back to the Nine Hells on their death. This can pretty much be circumvented by taking the Dragonborn template, which wipes out most racial special abilities and traits, including Hellbound. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-11, 08:25 PM
.... I would love to see the face of Asmodeus.... I can imagine Bahamut grinning smugly at Asmodeus when a Hellbred becomes a Dragonborn.

And now I am really tempted to play one... and it would not be a bad race for a Cha based characters (assuming you took hellbred mind's aspect). -2 Dex +2 Cha.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-11, 09:01 PM
Ah...missed that section of RotD - thanks for the heads up. :smallredface:

Fun fact: Hellbred fluff says they must perform a great act of redemption to avoid going back to the Nine Hells on their death. This can pretty much be circumvented by taking the Dragonborn template, which wipes out most racial special abilities and traits, including Hellbound. :smallbiggrin:

That actually make a fair amount of sense, too. If a hellbred could devoted itself enough to convince Bahamut that it was worthy of dragonborn-ness, then rescuing the soul seems pretty understandable.

Thurbane
2011-03-11, 11:14 PM
...so, Dragonborn Hellbred:

Humanoid (dragonblood, hellbred)
+2 dodge vs dragons
Immune to frightful presence
Draconic Aspect
-2 Dex, +2 Cha (mind aspect), or -2 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Int (body aspect)
Automatic languages: Draconic, Infernal
Favored Classes: Fighter and Paladin