PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Chameleon Questions

tuesdayscoming
2011-03-11, 08:24 PM
The Chameleon from Races of Destiny is a lovely class. Lovely, lovely, lovely. But a couple of its class features have me confused.

First off is spells/day. Do you have one total pool of spells that you can cast from, regardless of whether they are Arcane or Divine Focus spells? Or are they separate? For instance, if you go Divine Focus, use all of your spells, and then switch to Arcane Focus, do you have a fresh new batch? If so, what if you then use all of the arcane spells and switch back to Divine Focus? And what about if you have both Arcane and Divine Focus up at the same time?

Second is the interaction between Ability Boon and Double Aptitude. Do you get to bump two ability scores, or only one? I'm inclined to say you get them to two.

gbprime
2011-03-11, 08:32 PM
The pools of spells are separate. So if you choose both divine and arcane at the same time, you have two sets of spells to use.

If you switch to divine or arcane focus at some point during the day, you still have to spend the time to memorize the spells, and for arcane that may mean resting. But otherwise, yes, you get a new set of spells to use.

Now if you have divine, switch out to something else and then switch BACK to divine, common sense would indicate that you have whatever divine spells that you had not used earlier in the day.

Second question... double aptitude says you can choose two. Ability boon says that when making a choice, you can improve a stat, and that if you make another choice later you can move it. That strongly implies that you do not keep the first ability boon when you make the second choice, you merely move it. You're doubling the aptitude, not the ability boost.

tuesdayscoming
2011-03-11, 08:34 PM
Beautiful, thank you, Prime. Much appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Laniius
2011-04-01, 06:55 PM
Not sure if this is thread necromancy, but what about if you have both divine and arcane foci on at once? Would you have separate pools for each side at that point?

tuesdayscoming
2011-04-01, 06:57 PM
Yup, yup you would.

KitTheOdd
2011-04-02, 12:16 AM
Second question... double aptitude says you can choose two. Ability boon says that when making a choice, you can improve a stat, and that if you make another choice later you can move it. That strongly implies that you do not keep the first ability boon when you make the second choice, you merely move it. You're doubling the aptitude, not the ability boost.

Except that Ability Boon says it lasts from when you choose a focus until you change your focus, while Double Aptitude says adopt two at once. So you could make the case that you have 2 independent "aptitude slots" and that choosing/adopting the second one does not change the 1st one.

I think there are good and valid arguments each way. And I wouldn't fault a DM for choosing your interpretation at all.

One big reason I support the independent slot interpretation is because without that a Chameleon may find it difficult to pull off the mystic theurge role due to insufficient casting stats.