PDA

View Full Version : What system/background/story would you pick if forced?

randomhero00
2011-03-11, 09:03 PM
If suddenly a creepy dude radiating immense power appears in your room and says,
"say now, what do you choose to live in permanently?"

It can be anything, a book, a system (DND, Mage, Werewolf)....

I'd have to go with bleach

bleach /nerd

It'd just be too cool getting a spiritual sword and working together with it.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-11, 09:04 PM
Wait, do you mean like to live in or something?

randomhero00
2011-03-11, 09:08 PM
Wait, do you mean like to live in or something?

Sorry, yes. To live in permanently.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-11, 09:26 PM
That's pretty tough, but I suppose I might go with Touhou.

NichG
2011-03-11, 09:39 PM
Brave answer: "Wherever you got the power to go between worlds from."

Cautious answer: Some setting where my knowledge would be useful, and immortality is fairly easy to attain. Probably the campaign I'm currently in, since my PC there has the power to receive out of game information 1/game, and would likely be interesting in finding (and unfortunately probably beating up, but not killing) whomever has been talking to him over the aether.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-11, 09:45 PM
Probably Star Trek: Next Generation. It is a largely post-scarcity world with insanely advanced medical care and interstellar travel. I don't even have to be a member of Starfleet.

Tengu_temp
2011-03-11, 09:47 PM
Pokemon. Exactly like real life, only better because there are wandering pokemans. And if I get bored of training pokemans, I can just return to the internet.

ThirdEmperor
2011-03-11, 09:49 PM
Well, no way would I choose WoD, or DnD. Way to many ways to die in both, especially if you're a commoner. Exalted is also a dumb choice, in my opinion, as if you aren't Exalted, your life fails. In most of the videogames I play, life also fails for non-heroes. In the end, I'd say Discworld.

comicshorse
2011-03-11, 10:16 PM
As Ravens_ Cry pointed out most fictional settings are only great if you're the hero. Be yourself in most of them and you're fodder for ... well pretty much anybody.
So for me, The Culture. Interstellar travel, the ability to record your personality, immortality, implanted drug glands and pretty much anything you could wish for easily available

Chess435
2011-03-11, 10:55 PM
Pokemon. Exactly like real life, only better because there are wandering pokemans. And if I get bored of training pokemans, I can just return to the internet.

Win. Lots to do, high-adventure, little risk of death, and if I ever get too bored......

(Nah, that's probably not appropriate to mention on these forums)

Salbazier
2011-03-11, 11:32 PM
Magic The gathering. As planeswalker of course. Better still, old style Planeswalker

Lycan 01
2011-03-11, 11:37 PM
Call of Cthulhu or Dark Heresy...

...are on the bottom of my list. :smalltongue:

Ganurath
2011-03-11, 11:48 PM
First Age of Creation, at least one lifetime before the Usurpation is supposed to occur. The moment I arrive, Nara'o is going to flip out.

Crossblade
2011-03-12, 12:28 AM
First answer that came to my head... is not PG 13. So I can't say it on the boards. :smalltongue:

Pokemon's a good answer.

Star Wars came to mind before that though, but there is the death issue, even with the advanced tech...

Minecraft would be awesome. If on Peaceful, or I was guaranteed to respawn.
And in multi-player.

Though I suppose the ultimate answer would be "A Utopia".

Tortiekat
2011-03-12, 12:32 AM
The Culture. If a GSV ever swings into our solar system, I am so. there. Because really, life should be lived out over 400 years of sampling every pleasure the galaxy has to offer, having a built-in drug delivery system, the occasional change of sex, species, or perspective on the nature of reality. And when you're done, according to the last book, you can upload yourself to Heaven :D

SilverLeaf167
2011-03-12, 01:15 AM
Some generic Mutants & Masterminds world. Of course, this thread is kinda useless if we assume you would be just a normal person. And if you're NOT a normal person in M&M, even if you're just PL 3-5, you can get Resurrection for just a fraction of your PP. Not to mention the other practical stuff, like Speed/Flight, Create Object etc.

Dimers
2011-03-12, 05:38 AM
Feng Shui. At least there the "commoners" get high levels of butt-kicking. :smallsmile:

Aquillion
2011-03-12, 05:39 AM
If I get to take the role of one of the 'protagonists?' Which I assume is implied.

Nobilis, probably.

potatocubed
2011-03-12, 05:44 AM
Exalted is also a dumb choice, in my opinion, as if you aren't Exalted, your life fails.

Somebody pointed this out a while back on RPGnet: life as a peasant in Exalted sucks, but there's a lot of Exaltation going around and a Lore 8 brain in an Essence 1 body might seem like a pretty decent bet.

aabicus
2011-03-12, 05:47 AM
One Over Zero (http://www.undefined.net/1/0/). Experience some really trippy fourth-wall demolishing meta-philosophy, and then end it by getting sent right back to the real world. Plus the 'God' of this universe is totally looking out for his subjects, and is willing to listen to them and alter the reality for them if they make a convincing enough argument. Sounds good to me.

Totally Guy
2011-03-12, 06:17 AM
FreeMarket Station. It's a place were even the lowest of society can have a very good life.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-12, 06:40 AM
I don't think surviving in dnd is too hard, you just need to mug a sleeping 1st level wizard and sell the spell book and other stuff and you can afford an apprenticship or a good weapon and some armour. Then you can afford to hopefully reach elf lands and become a duskblade.

Now I would choose Eberron as a world, it's at more peace than any other setting,
very few truly barbaric races
and it's easy to join a church.

The Big Dice
2011-03-12, 07:29 AM
Probably Star Trek: Next Generation. It is a largely post-scarcity world with insanely advanced medical care and interstellar travel. I don't even have to be a member of Starfleet.

This. It's as close to utopia as I can think of. And just think of the gaming potential of the holodeck.

Weimann
2011-03-12, 07:39 AM
First Age of Creation, at least one lifetime before the Usurpation is supposed to occur. The moment I arrive, Nara'o is going to flip out.I dunno, one lifetime before the Usurpation would be the prime time for completely crazy god-kings to mess you and your country up for fun.

Can I say "this one?" Otherwise, yeah, Pokemon does sound really nice.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-12, 08:59 AM

As long as the Pokemon world stays mostly as it is in the games/anime, I'd have to agree. If it contains all the horror that reading too deeply into them implies, then I'd be pretty worried. But I still think I'd pick Pokemon, either way.

Tengu_temp
2011-03-12, 09:19 AM
Somebody pointed this out a while back on RPGnet: life as a peasant in Exalted sucks, but there's a lot of Exaltation going around and a Lore 8 brain in an Essence 1 body might seem like a pretty decent bet.

I really doubt if reading all the Exalted books in the world gives you more than Lore, let's be charitable, 3. You have a broad knowledge about the world, yes, but this knowledge is very shallow and does not include the in-depth working of most elements of Creation. You basically are a walking trivia book.

As long as the Pokemon world stays mostly as it is in the games/anime, I'd have to agree. If it contains all the horror that reading too deeply into them implies, then I'd be pretty worried. But I still think I'd pick Pokemon, either way.

Overanalyzing is overanalyzing, often paired with ignoring and/or misinterpreting some facts of the setting, so I'm not worried. But you know what? If Missingno existed, it'd be my mission to catch it.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-12, 09:59 AM
"any world where I'm omnipotent" is my obvious answer.

Quietus
2011-03-12, 10:11 AM
Hmmm...

D&D would be tempting, simply because I know how the rules work. However, I've seen one too many bad die rolls end a character prematurely.

nWoD : Mage would be delicious, because I'd have all of that WORLD ALTERING MIND BENDING POWER! However, I'm already pretty far off the deep end. Giving me the ability to make my imagination real... probably not a great idea.

Pokemon I'm liking. Similar enough to the real world in terms of lethality, plus, you know, catching and training monsters! Fun!

Alternatively, Maplestory - although I'd hate certain aspects, like dealing with hackers, there's a couple big boosts. First : Death is never permanent. Second : I can make damn sure I keep getting stronger, because of the first point. Training forever!

But the real question would be, do I get transported into these worlds? Do I have the ability to switch back and forth between them and the real world? Do the rules of that world simply begin to apply in the real world? Can I take anyone with me? Because if I had to leave my girlfriend behind, no matter how cool the world I could go to would be, I'd stay right here.

kamikasei
2011-03-12, 10:16 AM
Some generic Mutants & Masterminds world. Of course, this thread is kinda useless if we assume you would be just a normal person. And if you're NOT a normal person in M&M, even if you're just PL 3-5, you can get Resurrection for just a fraction of your PP. Not to mention the other practical stuff, like Speed/Flight, Create Object etc.
Yes, this. Assuming we get to actually have powers etc. if they're available. I've foregone enough totally sweet powers and abilities for PL 10 M&M characters because they were exploits or just ridiculously unbalanced that if I could get access to them myself, well...

Failing that, yes, I think the Culture. Since that in many ways opens up the possibility of doing whatever else I want, with few limits.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-12, 10:45 AM
Something (post-)cyberpunk, because being premed would be so much more interesting in a world with that kind of technology. Probably whatever William Gibson's setting is called, because the magic in Shadowrun annoys me and Eclipse Phase is a bit too bleak. Or the setting of Snow Crash, that's a pretty nice world.

I really doubt if reading all the Exalted books in the world gives you more than Lore, let's be charitable, 3. You have a broad knowledge about the world, yes, but this knowledge is very shallow and does not include the in-depth working of most elements of Creation. You basically are a walking trivia book.

You know about the Great Curse. You know about the Sidereals. You know that the Immaculate teachings are mostly bull. You know where the Scarlet Empress is. You know about the Reclamation. You know about the Usurpation. You know an awful lot about the Deathlords. You know an awful lot about the First Age. You know that Abyssals and Infernals used to be Solars, and how they got that way. Maybe Lore 3 with three specialties in Stuff No One Outside Yu-Shan Except Neverborn and Primordials Should Know, but really high Lore sounds like an easy enough way to model it.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-12, 10:52 AM
definitely not DnD. This is mostly because in 3.5 there are only rules for drowning, not breathing. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2011-03-12, 10:59 AM
You know about the Great Curse. You know about the Sidereals. You know that the Immaculate teachings are mostly bull. You know where the Scarlet Empress is. You know about the Reclamation. You know about the Usurpation. You know an awful lot about the Deathlords. You know an awful lot about the First Age. You know that Abyssals and Infernals used to be Solars, and how they got that way. Maybe Lore 3 with three specialties in Stuff No One Outside Yu-Shan Except Neverborn and Primordials Should Know, but really high Lore sounds like an easy enough way to model it.

That's just a bunch of trivia - useful trivia most people don't know about, but still trivia. You don't know how anything works in-depth: you can't decipher old runes, you have only vague knowledge on the world's geography, you have no real idea about the theory behind how anything supernatural works. By Exalted rules, someone with Lore 5 is knowledgable enough to be a part of a team working on Warstrider maintenance, without any additional training. I'd like to see anyone in RL try that.

Lore 2 + a 3-dot specialty sounds about right to me here, maybe Lore 3 if you have a lot of real life knowledge that will actually be useful in Creation. But that's still far away from Lore 8.

Shyftir
2011-03-12, 11:20 AM
Dresden-verse, but I wanna be a werewolf or changeling. Power + can still use computers.

Fortuna
2011-03-12, 04:36 PM
That's just a bunch of trivia - useful trivia most people don't know about, but still trivia. You don't know how anything works in-depth: you can't decipher old runes, you have only vague knowledge on the world's geography, you have no real idea about the theory behind how anything supernatural works. By Exalted rules, someone with Lore 5 is knowledgable enough to be a part of a team working on Warstrider maintenance, without any additional training. I'd like to see anyone in RL try that.

Lore 2 + a 3-dot specialty sounds about right to me here, maybe Lore 3 if you have a lot of real life knowledge that will actually be useful in Creation. But that's still far away from Lore 8.

To be honest, there's no way to model it readily. A character with Lore 3 + a 3 dot specialty is only the equivalent of lore six in that one field (specialties are only powerful for breaking the Essence cap), and a character with lore 6 and int 3 knows as much as a character of lore 5, int 4. That means that even with that specialty, we still know ridiculous amounts. In all honesty, what we have is probably some sort of custom merit more than anything else.

An Enemy Spy
2011-03-12, 04:53 PM
Heaven. We're all gonna die anyway. Might as well guarentee the good ending.

Kenji
2011-03-12, 05:47 PM
Any. As long as I have the ability to travel time as much as I want without penalty. And there MUST be humans in that world. And I MUST be human. Other races are allowed. :smallsmile:

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-12, 07:46 PM
Conan. Give me the freedom of a savage life or give me death.

Kallisti
2011-03-12, 07:57 PM
If I get to design my own sheet, any universe governed by the M&M ruleset without a doubt because I could be very, very powerful indeed.

Failing that, I'm unsure. Perhaps a world of my own creation--several of my campaign settings would be nice places to live for the guy who knows all the DM secrets. The Harry Potter universe, where a latin dictionary grants Supreme Cosmic Power? I honestly don't know. I want immortality and survivability first, and livability a close second. Having a race that's close enough to humans for meaningful interaction--and sufficiently not-xenophobic for me to assimilate--is a must. Creature comforts are nice. Someplace with relatively advanced technology--I like my electronic gadgets, having that kind of thing around would certainly be nice. Maybe the world of Thursday Next, if I get to be a time-traveler?

Aquillion
2011-03-13, 06:07 AM
This. It's as close to utopia as I can think of. And just think of the gaming potential of the holodeck.Regular gaming sessions don't normally malfunction and try to take over, though. Not unless you're playing some sort of really, really bad LARP, anyway.