PDA

View Full Version : GenCon 2011?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lex-Kat
2011-03-11, 11:41 PM
Who's going this year?

Any plans?

After last year, I bought my own deck of Ultimate Werewolf cards. So we could possibly have two games going at once. :smallsmile:

Meeting
Serpentine Hall- Thursday, Friday, and Saturday- 7 PM.

Attendees

{table=head]Playgrounder|Attending|If no, Reason
Alarra|Yes|
AngelSword|Yes|
Balthor|Yes|
Catlover|Yes|
cycoris|Yes|
DarthBarbieDoll|Yes|
Derjuin|Yes|
El Jaspero|Yes|
Fan|Yes|
Indurain|Yes|
INDYSTAR188|Yes|
Jacklu|Yes|
JediSoth|Yes|
KenderWizard|Yes|
Krade|Yes|
Lex-kat|Yes|
PhoeKun|Yes|
Pink|Yes|
Renegade Paladin|Yes|
Reverent-One|Yes|
spacemonkeymafi|Yes|
SweetRein|Yes|
Thes Hunter|Yes|
Tyckspoon|Yes|
Tyrant|Yes|
Wolfbane|Yes|
wxdruid|Yes|
Zeb the Troll|Yes|
Z3ro|Yes|
Zherog|Yes|
||
Caliphbubba|Maybe|
druid91|Maybe|
Malachi, the Lich King|Maybe|
Marillion|Maybe|
Recaiden|Maybe|
Soft Serve|Maybe|
Walking Target|Maybe|
||
Andre Fairchilde|No|Money & Kids
Deth Muncher|No|Money
EmeraldRose|No|Money & Kids
EvilJames|No|Work & Wedding
grimbold|No|Atlantic
Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll|No|School
ImaginaryGirl|No|No Money
InaVegt|No|No Money
Kyrian|No|New Job
Phae Nymna|No|Money?
RabbitHoleLost|No|Money
Smee|No|Money
Thufir|No|Atlantic
turkishproverb|No|No Money
||
||
Post 329|Pg. 9|
[/table]

Wednesday Mini-Meet-Up

Alarra
Al'izh'dheg
AngelSword (Maybe)
Catlover
KenderWizard (Maybe)
+1 (Maybe)
Krade
Kyrian (Maybe)
+1 (Maybe)
Lex-Kat
Pink
+1 (Maybe)
Tyckspoon
+1 (Maybe)
wxDruid
Zeb the Troll
Zherog
+1 (Maybe)

grimbold
2011-03-12, 03:02 AM
ahh how i wish i could go
:(
of course i live on the other side of the atlantic

Mystic Muse
2011-03-12, 03:03 AM
I want to go. I do have the money at the moment, and am planning on it.

Last year, turned out I couldn't though, so I'm not entirely planning on it happening.

Thufir
2011-03-12, 09:00 AM
ahh how i wish i could go
:(
of course i live on the other side of the atlantic

Curse the Atlantic Ocean!

wxdruid
2011-03-12, 10:47 AM
:smalltongue: I already bought my four day pass and have my hotel room reserved and vacation time reserved.

Z3ro
2011-03-12, 11:08 AM
Will be there, but I haven't decided for how many days or who I'm going with just yet (I'm thinking of having some sort of tournament for my friends to compete in to help me decide), but I'll be there.

KenderWizard
2011-03-12, 12:08 PM
Despite the aforementioned Atlantic, I'm hoping to make it!

WalkingTarget
2011-03-12, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm hoping that my class/work schedule for the summer will allow my attendance.

As is usual, however, I tend to hang out with old college friends most of the time. Assuming my presence, I tend to try to hit a Playground meetup at least once.

Marillion
2011-03-12, 12:40 PM
I may or may not be working event reg this year. If I am, I'll be there. If not, I will sadly most likely not be in attendance.

Fan
2011-03-13, 02:08 AM
*cough*

I'm coming, and I'm bringing about 2 friends.. also as I'm driving..

I'm willing to pick people up along the way provided they aren't TOO out of the way of my route.

Also a portion of gas, as that isn't cheap. Good news is that I drive a 4 door that isn't too compact so I can fit about 5 people in without it getting too uncomfortable.

grimbold
2011-03-13, 05:39 AM
Despite the aforementioned Atlantic, I'm hoping to make it!

YAY!
at least somebody will fight off our great enemy

Lex-Kat
2011-03-13, 05:53 AM
When was the meeting last year? 7 pm? :smallconfused: I think that time worked out really well last year, so I was hoping to use it again. Thursday through Saturday.

Krade
2011-03-13, 10:32 AM
I will, of course, be attending. Nothing could stop me.

grimbold
2011-03-13, 01:14 PM
I will, of course, be attending. Nothing could stop me.

not even the atlantic ocean?

tyckspoon
2011-03-13, 05:11 PM
Time and money reasons mean I will most likely be attending the same way I did last year- 1 day, probably Friday. I'll certainly be there, just probably not for the full length of the con.

Krade
2011-03-13, 09:08 PM
not even the atlantic ocean?

Well maybe that would. But luckily, it's 700 mile east of here and NOT somehow entirely between my apartment and downtown (noted for only being about 5 or 6 miles apart). :smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-03-14, 11:08 AM
Well maybe that would. But luckily, it's 700 mile east of here and NOT somehow entirely between my apartment and downtown (noted for only being about 5 or 6 miles apart). :smalltongue:
somebody's lucky
good news
my dad said if i could find a person who is not a minor to go with i could go
this gives me ideas...

JediSoth
2011-03-14, 12:59 PM
I'll be there for certain. I already have one off-grid game planned (a Gamma World game, "Gamma-tical Errors," and may run a second (Ghostbusters). I'll be setting up and tearing down the ENnies booth again and will, of course, be at the awards ceremony again. No word yet on whether or not I'll be running the visuals at said ceremony.

wxdruid
2011-03-14, 03:55 PM
The meet up at GenCon is the only one I'll be at this year. I'm going to Alabama next month and Minnesota in Sept for various reasons.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-15, 05:57 AM
Alarra and I have already purchased our tickets and made hotel reservations as well. We'll be there with bells on. :smallcool:

Alas, my daughter won't be joining us this year. She's due with my second grandbaby about a week after GenCon so travel will be ill advised.

KenderWizard
2011-03-15, 03:52 PM
Alarra and I have already purchased our tickets and made hotel reservations as well. We'll be there with bells on. :smallcool:

Alas, my daughter won't be joining us this year. She's due with my second grandbaby about a week after GenCon so travel will be ill advised.

Congratulations!! :smallbiggrin: That's great news! And I hope to see you and Alarra at GenCon again this year.

Zherog
2011-03-15, 04:35 PM
:smalltongue: I already bought my four day pass and have my hotel room reserved and vacation time reserved.

Hey, me too! We're like twins. Or something. ;)

Balthor
2011-03-15, 10:46 PM
I shall be there again this year, and this time I am comming armed....nerf is dangerous stuff you know :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-16, 12:23 AM
Congratulations!! :smallbiggrin: That's great news! And I hope to see you and Alarra at GenCon again this year.Thank you! And Alarra and I'll be very disappointed if we don't at least bump into each other again if you're going to be there. :smallcool:

Alarra
2011-03-16, 12:35 AM
We may want to consider a different location for the meetups given the changes to the layout of the convention center in general and the movement of most of gencon to a different area of the building. I don't know what the new areas are like, but I hear that there will be more open mtg spaces around the new area. Any Indy residents have any better info about the new areas?

Lex-Kat
2011-03-16, 12:43 AM
Really? This will feel strange. Now I'm scared. Someone hold me? :smallfrown:

PhoeKun
2011-03-16, 12:50 AM
Really? This will feel strange. Now I'm scared. Someone hold me? :smallfrown:

They gave us those nice pamphlets last year thanking us GenCon folk for bringing so much business into the city and excitedly talking about the renovations to the convention center that would stupid hugeify it this year. Didn't you read yours?

SweetRein and I will, of course, be in attendance. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Lex-Kat
2011-03-16, 12:57 AM
Nope. Must have missed that.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-16, 01:44 AM
Really? This will feel strange. Now I'm scared. Someone hold me? :smallfrown:*pats Lex on the shoulder reassuringly*

Nope. Must have missed that.Hmmm, me too. :smallconfused:

SweetRein and I will, of course, be in attendance. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!Huzzah! :smallcool:

Krade
2011-03-16, 04:26 AM
We may want to consider a different location for the meetups given the changes to the layout of the convention center in general and the movement of most of gencon to a different area of the building. I don't know what the new areas are like, but I hear that there will be more open mtg spaces around the new area. Any Indy residents have any better info about the new areas?

I'll see what I can do, but no promises on results. Good thing we've still got five months. Gives me plenty of time to check it out, which my procrastinating self will need.

KenderWizard
2011-03-16, 06:10 AM
Thank you! And Alarra and I'll be very disappointed if we don't at least bump into each other again if you're going to be there. :smallcool:

I can't wait!

My boyfriend and I will be sorting out tickets and rooms and stuff in the next little while. Right now I'm in the middle of a load of field trips and he's writing his dissertation, so GenCon seems very very far away...

Zherog
2011-03-16, 09:54 AM
Nope. Must have missed that.

Hmmm, me too. :smallconfused:

Me three. http://fast1.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/smileys/scratch.gif

I ended up as a last-minute guest on a panel last year, talking about freelancing. I also ended up having to make an impromptu speech at the ENnies. I'm not sure if I want this year to have more or less public speaking...

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2011-03-18, 11:30 AM
I will be attending, but most of my time will be eaten up with NASCRAG judging.

One quick note: Mrs. Jaspero and I will be on the road leading up to (and in her case, during) GenCon this year. BA-CON 3 Hot will probably not happen; BA-CON 3 Cold is more likely, but those tend to be quite a bit lower-key anyway.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-03-18, 11:32 AM
I will be attending, but most of my time will be eaten up with NASCRAG judging.

One quick note: Mrs. Jaspero and I will be on the road leading up to (and in her case, during) GenCon this year. BA-CON 3 Hot will probably not happen; BA-CON 3 Cold is more likely, but those tend to be quite a bit lower-key anyway.

Holy moly, you DO exist. :smalleek:

Well, I lost that bet.

Also, as per usual, would love to go, but I can't justify the amount of money it would take.

Thes Hunter
2011-03-18, 11:33 AM
Dude, you guys are going to need Low Key.

I have some time tables to nail down, but the chances of me attending looks really good!

For the full weekend even!

This may be my last for 4 (or more) years. :smalleek:

Lex-Kat
2011-03-18, 05:13 PM
Dude, you guys are going to need Low Key.

I have some time tables to nail down, but the chances of me attending looks really good!

For the full weekend even!

This may be my last for 4 (or more) years. :smalleek:
Good. I can finally deliver to you that Vodka I owe you. :smallamused:

wxdruid
2011-03-18, 05:14 PM
Please add catlover next to my name.

Jacklu
2011-03-19, 01:38 AM
I am attending this year for sure!

Krade
2011-03-19, 10:17 AM
Holy moly, you DO exist. :smalleek:

Well, I lost that bet.

Also, as per usual, would love to go, but I can't justify the amount of money it would take.

I could've told you he exists. Hell, I just saw him yesterday.

Lex-Kat
2011-03-19, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but you are also one of those who claim to have met Shadow. And we all know he's either a myth or a dream. :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-03-20, 02:14 AM
I could've told you he exists. Hell, I just saw him yesterday.
In my almost four years on this forum, through my QoM account and this one, I've never ever ever seen a El Jaspero post. Not even one linked or when I dug through the archives or anything.
I was convinced he was just a big inside joke all you oldies had :smalltongue:

Lex-Kat
2011-03-20, 04:35 AM
*Pets Rabbit* All you had to do was look at the very first Pirates WW game.

I noticed him when digging through the Werewolf archives. :smallsmile:

Avast, ye scurvy lubbers! How dare ye hold a pirate game without the King himself?!?

((I'm so very, very in.))

Zherog
2011-03-20, 08:02 PM
In my almost four years on this forum, ...

Pfft. Newbies...

Indurain
2011-03-21, 09:17 PM
*Pets Rabbit* All you had to do was look at the very first Pirates WW game.

I noticed him when digging through the Werewolf archives. :smallsmile:

Thanks for digging that up Lex-Kat, that put a smile on this oldies face. :smallsmile:

Also, I shall be attending as well, though my time will also likely be heavily consumed by NASCRAG judging. But I'll still find a way to be at a meetup or two.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-21, 09:22 PM
Hm...I WOULD go, but I would have just gotten back from Otakon, and my funds are not that extensive. :P

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2011-03-31, 06:12 AM
In my almost four years on this forum, through my QoM account and this one, I've never ever ever seen a El Jaspero post. Not even one linked or when I dug through the archives or anything.
I was convinced he was just a big inside joke all you oldies had :smalltongue:

I have apparently transcended "legend" to become "obscure insider reference." I'm so hipster!

Deth Muncher
2011-03-31, 06:30 AM
I have apparently transcended "legend" to become "obscure insider reference." I'm so hipster!

Oh God. Kill it, kill it with fire.

Incidentally, he should burn pretty well if he's as hipster as he claims, since all of his clothing will be made of easily-burnable hemp, and he'll be soaked through with PBR.

(No, I'm not bitter about having to go to college with a bunch of hipsters, not at all...)

Back to GenCon though. As I said before, I'll be getting back from a convention right before this, so I can't go this year, but for those of you who might persuade me to go next year, what's your ONE favorite thing about the con?

wxdruid
2011-03-31, 07:16 AM
Meeting up/hanging out with the GitP peoples... :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-03-31, 07:27 AM
Meeting up/hanging out with the GitP peoples... :smalltongue:

Pfft, easy answer. :P Though understandable.

wxdruid
2011-03-31, 07:41 AM
It may be the easy answer, but it's also the true answer.

The second reason I go is for the Dealer's Hall. But, the first is always the friends I meet back up with.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-31, 11:24 AM
Yeah, me too. In that order even. I love meeting people there, and every year I always meet more. Some of the people I meet up with, this is the only time of the year I get to hang out with them. But what I do in between is trawl the dealers hall and demo games. Every year I've found at least one game that, even if I couldn't justify it right then,was something I at least wanted to keep an eye out for it at my local game store.

Some examples: Hex-Hex, Cutthroat Caverns, Red Dragon Inn, Poo!, Boo-ray. And many of these have been shared with others who've in turn enjoyed them enough to get them themselves.

Not to say that's all there is to do, though. Oh gods no. There are events going on all over the place at all hours of the day and night. Last year I was fortunate enough to advance to the second round of NASCRAG, which is sort of a roleplaying conpetition that's focused much more on the RP than the mechanics and is a riot. (A team which consisted of four Playgrounders and two of their friends won last year. Go El J, Madame Zelia, Thes Hunter, and Indurain!) There's an enormous board game room for pick up games of all sorts. There are many, many planned roleplaying events. There are workshops on mini painting. There are panels of all sorts and variety. There's True Dungeon (where you assume the role of a party member, then enter a "dungeon" and try to overcome the obstacles).

There's so much to see and do that most people I run into don't have any idea how they're going to get it all in (and many can't).

Recaiden
2011-04-01, 12:31 PM
I plan to attend if I can find a way to get there. I am in Indiana this summer, so it's not as impossible as it has been. Hopefully I'll work something out. (And meet you people. I last went in 2008, before coming here.

All hail the Pirate King!

cycoris
2011-04-10, 09:50 PM
Put me down as a maybe? :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-10, 11:29 PM
Put me down as a maybe? :smalleek::smallbiggrin:Le gasp! I'll have to figure out how to pronounce your forum name! (don't tell me now, it'd ruin the fun of watching me try to mangle it in person)

:smallcool:

cycoris
2011-04-10, 11:45 PM
Le gasp! I'll have to figure out how to pronounce your forum name! (don't tell me now, it'd ruin the fun of watching me try to mangle it in person)

:smallcool:

I never thought of my forum name as being hard to pronounce. :smallconfused:

But I shall thoroughly enjoy all manglings. :smallamused:

Pink
2011-04-11, 11:53 AM
In! So very in. Ticket ordered and everything. Well, flight not quite booked yet.

I must say, last year's Gen Con (my first) was perhaps the best time of my life! And a huge part of that was the time I spent hanging around with the GitP members I met there. Werewolf was great, as was playing NASCRAG with Zeb and company. I look forward to much more zany and great times!

My goal this year is sleep less, game more.

Zherog
2011-04-11, 02:44 PM

Always a commendable goal at GenCon...

Lex-Kat
2011-04-11, 02:53 PM
My goal is to learn to paint better. :smallsmile: Something I missed out on the last two years. :smallfrown:

wxdruid
2011-04-11, 03:04 PM
This year I have a better room, so we can always game there if we want to (at least those that want to play D&D or other games).

Alarra
2011-04-11, 03:05 PM
In! So very in. Ticket ordered and everything. Well, flight not quite booked yet.

I must say, last year's Gen Con (my first) was perhaps the best time of my life! And a huge part of that was the time I spent hanging around with the GitP members I met there. Werewolf was great, as was playing NASCRAG with Zeb and company. I look forward to much more zany and great times!

Yay! Pink's coming again! Sleep less, game more is a great goal. I don't think I could possibly sleep less than I already do at cons though. :smallbiggrin:

My goal is to learn to paint better. :smallsmile: Something I missed out on the last two years. :smallfrown:

This goal, however, is one I've been meaning to do as well. Last year I only managed a couple paint and takes, but would love to sign up for some of the actual miniature painting events/classes, etc.

This year I have a better room, so we can always game there if we want to (at least those that want to play D&D or other games).
We're hoping our room will be big enough to do some gaming in this year as well. Though I hear there will be a lot more open spaces available, so it shouldn't be as hard to find gaming areas.

SMEE
2011-04-11, 03:09 PM
I will have my room reserved and paid next month, along with my plane tickets too.
That's the good side of business picking up. I will be able to have vacations and to afford the quite expensive intercontinental plane tickets. >.>

Caliphbubba
2011-04-11, 03:09 PM
I really ought to try and make it to GenCon one of these years. It's only a 2 hour drive from home after all.... will 2011 be the magic year??? :smallcool:

Zherog
2011-04-11, 03:43 PM
I will have my room reserved and paid next month, along with my plane tickets too.
That's the good side of business picking up. I will be able to have vacations and to afford the quite expensive intercontinental plane tickets. >.>

Wait! A chance to meet Smee in person? Maybe even get a huggle? *swoons*

SMEE
2011-04-11, 04:15 PM
Wait, weren't you there in 2008 as well, Zherog?

And a hug? Brazilian tradition demands that when a woman meets someone new, or someone she hasn't seen in a long time, she must give him/her three cheek kisses for good luck.
And I am abiding to this tradition this year for sure. :smallcool:

Zherog
2011-04-11, 04:22 PM
I've been to GenCon every year it's been in Indy -- which I think is since '03, but my memory is shot.

And... who am I to get in the way of tradition. ;) Although I am curious which 3 of my 4 cheeks you plan on kissing. http://fast1.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/smileys/hidden%20devil.gif

SMEE
2011-04-11, 04:27 PM
Then we probably meet briefly in 2008, as I was around in the neighborhood. :smalltongue:

And, oh you. :smallamused:
You've no idea the kind of trouble you're walking into. :smallamused:

Zherog
2011-04-11, 04:35 PM
Oh, I probably do. But we're getting a bit off topic, I think. I wouldn't want a mod to come along and yell... oh, wait. :D

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-11, 04:40 PM
Sweet! Pink and SMEE are both coming back! SMEE from the south end of the world, Pink from the north! :smallbiggrin:

AngelSword
2011-04-11, 06:27 PM
I shall be in attendance, and I may be DMing with Wizards this year. I may also have another event going on, with or without their backing >_>

Krade
2011-04-11, 10:43 PM
*just remembered he said he would try to find out where would be a good place to meet*

*facepalm*

How long has it been? Four weeks?

If the weather is nice I'll see what I can do on Thursday.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-11, 11:00 PM
I shall be in attendance, and I may be DMing with Wizards this year. I may also have another event going on, with or without their backing >_>Oooo, swanky.

Does this mean you can get us free tickets to your event/table? :smallcool:

Jacklu
2011-04-11, 11:07 PM
Just bought mine and Derjuin's badges. :smallbiggrin: :smallcool: I might be getting my own room this year for... reasons... <.< *cough cough* :smallredface:

Pink
2011-04-11, 11:22 PM
Hehee! Getting so jazzed about Gen Con now, and it's only four months away. This seems quite fast because almost immediately after last Gen Con I was thinking I wasn't gonna be able to make it this year, and now all the anticipation is hitting at once!

I'm actually incredibly lucky this year too. Somehow, my buddy that I go to Gen Con with scored a VIG badge. This means I get to be a VIG Companion. Huzzahs!

My itinerary is very much in a planning stage right now (considering events aren't posted yet). I'll probably be doing True Dungeon again, and will probably be helping my friend in running a large (?) event of the Looney lab "Are you a Werewolf" (Werewolf vanilla basically), I would love to be able to play in NASCRAG again, and hope to attend as many GitP meet-ups as I can!

Last year I spent a bit too much time just wandering around the exhibition hall by myself. This year, trying to either schedule into more events, or walk around with a couple people so that sitting down and playing a game is an option while looking through the hall. Or, I dunno...I'm sure I'll think of a plan, and even if I don't, GEN CON CANNOT FAIL IN HAVING FUN!

And it'll be great to see Zeb and Alarra there too! So much fun with you guys last year!

Hmmm...This post used alot of exclamation marks...I make no apologies. :smallbiggrin:

Jacklu
2011-04-11, 11:27 PM
Okay, so any suggestions on good hotels near the convention center? I have no car so walking distance preferred. Thanks in advance!

Thes Hunter
2011-04-11, 11:43 PM
Alarra and Lex, you guys should do the speed painting!!!

And yeah, the mini painting classes are the da bomb. Maybe we all could take one together? That would rock.

Lex-Kat
2011-04-12, 12:06 AM
Well, I already PM'd you where we stayed last year Jacklu, but I'll post it here as well.

A nice place to stay, in walking distance, that is not connected to the Convention Center is the Hilton Gardens Inn. It's what, two blocks away? there's a comic shop across the street, and it wasn't terribly expensive.

@ Thes. I'm terribly scared of the speed painting. But the three classes I took in 2008 were great. I just need to convince myself to get back to it.

I have a small collection waiting for me in my basement room. The learn to paint kits from Reaper are really helpful.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-12, 12:13 AM
Pink,

Alarra and I usually spend our day time doing the dealer hall thing. It's truly 500% more fun with a small'ish group of people. More than about 5 and it gets hard to move through the crowds.

Sadly, there are always more than 5 people we'd like to wander with. What generally happens is that there is a "core" of people that wander the dealer hall and others will join or leave it at their whimsey or by appointment. We share texting info so that when it's time to join the core, we just spam text "where are we" or something and someone who's currently in the core will respond. :smallcool:

It sounds crazy but it works in that everyone gets to hang but no one needs to feel bad about pursuing other interests.

On that note, I will share my information with anyone who asks, so if you want to be a part of this orbital mass, let me know, either in person or via PM. Obviously, PM's sent 24 hours or more before the the gates open are more likely to get a response before GenCon starts. I do have a fancy smartphone, but I don't spend all my time looking at it. :smallcool:

Alarra
2011-04-12, 01:47 AM
Alarra and Lex, you guys should do the speed painting!!!

And yeah, the mini painting classes are the da bomb. Maybe we all could take one together? That would rock.
But speed painting is all....speedy. I think I'm way too much a perfectionist to do that. But taking a class together would be fun!

I do have a fancy smartphone, but I don't spend all my time looking at it. :smallcool:
Luckily I do look at my fancy smartphone like every 10 minutes so, I think it'll work out. :smallcool:

Lex-Kat
2011-04-12, 02:47 AM
:smallredface: Forgot to add that I think it would be fun to take some classes together. :smallsmile:

wxdruid
2011-04-12, 06:05 AM
I also think it would be fun to take a class or two with someone else. I keep meaning to do an event and totally keep forgetting to actually do one. Although mine have to allow 13 yr olds in, since catlover will be coming with me everywhere. :smalltongue:

I also enjoy cruising the dealer hall with as many people that want to come with me, and we'll probably do the cheese weasel thing again since catlover had fun doing it last year.

Lex-Kat
2011-04-12, 11:53 AM
I'd be willing to have an early meet-up to find out who wants to do what, with who.

What really annoyed me was both the games I tried to get in with, were cancelled for one reason or another. :smallannoyed: Both of them. How unlucky can one pixie get? :smallannoyed: :smallannoyed:

AngelSword
2011-04-12, 03:23 PM
…and will probably be helping my friend in running a large (?) event of the Looney lab "Are you a Werewolf" (Werewolf vanilla basically)…
Yes, I think we're all aware of Werewolf :smalltongue:
(awarewolf?)

I also noticed that my flight and hotel are getting me there a day early. Woo ^(^_^)^

EvilJames
2011-04-12, 04:05 PM
Sadly for the first time in over 10 years I will not be attending. I couldn't get time off from work, I'm not sure if I could afford it, and I have a wedding the very same weekend.

tyckspoon
2011-04-12, 06:45 PM
Okay, so any suggestions on good hotels near the convention center? I have no car so walking distance preferred. Thanks in advance!

I'd be a bit surprised if you could get a room anywhere in the downtown area at this point.. although I haven't actually signed up as part of the GenCon rooming block, so maybe there's some of those around? Likely not a lot of choice left if so.

@Smee:
I still owe you a pizza in a probably futile bid to convince you that there is in fact pizza worth eating.

SMEE
2011-04-12, 07:00 PM
tyckspoon: Just point me to a place where I can get a decent full meal and I will believe you even without eating the pizza. :smalltongue:
I don't want to lose weight again this year. 2008 I lost a kilo during the 5 days I was there...

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-12, 11:16 PM
Wait, SMEE doesn't like pizza? :smallconfused:

SMEE, a "decent meal" is a subjective kinda thing. What do you consider a decent meal? What kind of budget are you working with? (I'm assuming a tight budget considering you're coming from another continent to be there.) I usually spend a lot of my food money at Steak -n- Shake because it's only a block away, fairly cheap, and very satisfying if you like non-fastfood hamburger type places. It's hardly the only option, though. Given a little input, I'm sure Krade could find you a half dozen places within six blocks of the convention center that you might find enjoyable. You're right, we can't have SMEE fading away on us. You don't have a kilo to lose!

Deth Muncher
2011-04-13, 12:39 AM
:O There's gonna be all these people there I want to meet! >_< That's almost reason enough to go. Ergh. But the driving and the tickets and the hotel...

Krade
2011-04-13, 04:38 AM
Given a little input, I'm sure Krade could find you a half dozen places within six blocks of the convention center that you might find enjoyable. You're right, we can't have SMEE fading away on us. You don't have a kilo to lose!

Noodles & Co. is even closer than Steak n' Shake. However, trying to go there last year was met with a line 20 people out the door. Penn Station, a really good sandwich shop, is right by the mall. Jimmy John's, a much faster and cheaper (but still delicious) sandwich shop, is about a half block past that. Noble Romans, my favorite dine-in pizza place:smallamused:, is also only a few blocks away. Unfortunately ,my favorite restaraunt of all time, Yats (http://www.yatscajuncreole.com/), is this (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl) far from the convention center. I'm pretty sure almost 2 miles is going to be a little far for most people.

SMEE
2011-04-13, 05:36 AM
Wait, SMEE doesn't like pizza? :smallconfused:

SMEE, a "decent meal" is a subjective kinda thing. What do you consider a decent meal? What kind of budget are you working with? (I'm assuming a tight budget considering you're coming from another continent to be there.) I usually spend a lot of my food money at Steak -n- Shake because it's only a block away, fairly cheap, and very satisfying if you like non-fastfood hamburger type places. It's hardly the only option, though. Given a little input, I'm sure Krade could find you a half dozen places within six blocks of the convention center that you might find enjoyable. You're right, we can't have SMEE fading away on us. You don't have a kilo to lose!

Actually, I like pizza, but only once every few weeks. And the one from that pizza place close to the convention center was highly disappointing.
I am pretty sure that food (also coffee) was the greatest cultural shock I went through when I was there for the first time, and I am inclined to believe it will be again.

For one, you all seem to be mentioning a lot of sandwich places, while a basic meal for me looks like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UvkvioHCrMo/SwmejRkIvzI/AAAAAAAAAO0/d2iAlERXvpA/s1600/Prato+Feito+Brazilian+Food.jpg
Rather than a sandwich. :smalltongue:

I know I can have something similar to that at Fogo de Chao, but they are quite expensive up there. For lunch in a similar place here I pay around 10 USD, drink included. There I will pay at least 50 USD. :smalleek:

So, if you can point me to places where I can get stuff like that "prato feito" or buffet restaurants, I will be most thankful. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-13, 06:12 AM
Ooooh, that looks delicious!

Yes, Krade, find a place that sells that, nearby, for around $10!

Deth Muncher
2011-04-13, 07:13 AM
To be fair, Smee, your location is right and you're in Brazil, yeah? From what I hear, food prices there are grossly deflated. I have a friend who went to visit who got what he called the Everything Sandwich, and paid...two, three USD for it? It had, in order:

Buttered Bun
Layer of mozzarella cheese
Scrambled egg
Hamburger patty
Sausage
Bacon
Ham
Lettuce
Corn & Peas
Tomato slice
Buttered bun atop

Served with ketchup mayonaise and hot sauce as desired.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-13, 08:19 AM
I know I can have something similar to that at Fogo de Chao, but they are quite expensive up there. For lunch in a similar place here I pay around 10 USD, drink included. There I will pay at least 50 USD. :smalleek:

So, if you can point me to places where I can get stuff like that "prato feito" or buffet restaurants, I will be most thankful. :smallsmile:Also, forgot about this part, while it may be more than $10, you can easily get a similar sized meal in many places for >$20. $50 is a pretty upscale kind of restaurant and probably not in too many people's budgets come GenCon time.

Derjuin
2011-04-13, 08:28 AM
It appears I will probably be going to GenCon again this year, and will be hanging out with Jacklu most of the time :smallsmile:

SMEE
2011-04-13, 08:34 AM
Aye. Yet I plan to take a few friend there this year for dinner, by force if needed. :smalltongue:

Other than that, I just want to make sure I'll be able to get at least three decent meals every day to try to not lose as much weight this year.
My needs for dinner aren't as strict as lunch, so Subway, Stake-n-shake or other sandwich shops or pizza would be enough.
That leaves breakfast (with real coffee) and lunch as my main worries. Food budget won't be tight, so I can afford it to be more expensive than our reasonably priced food here. :smalltongue:
A well fed Smee is a more active and happy and easy going Smee, which would benefit everyone at GenCon. :smallbiggrin:

I truly didn't expect such huge difference between our cultures when it comes to food. :smalleek:

Pink
2011-04-13, 09:32 AM
All I can say is I'll probably be worrying about gaining weight over the Con :P. Putting aside the fact that I'll probably be eating out for all meals, I was introduced to steak n' shake last year, and while delicious, repeated meals there can't be good for the waistline. But, mmmmmmm, steakburger and milkshake is so good.

I saw the line at that noodle place too, and wouldn't mind trying it, but time spent waiting is time not spent gaming! :D

Zherog
2011-04-13, 09:54 AM
Alcatraz and The Ram both have decent food -- both sandwiches as well as meals. They're both close by and they're both reasonably priced.

We go to Buca di Beppo every year with a large crowd. Yummy Italian with humongous servings - they're intended to be shared.

Downtown Indy, Inc (http://www.indydt.com/search.cfm?menu=restaurant) has a big list of all the restaurants in the downtown area, and you can search by several criteria.

I'm not going to be able to give you any advice for breakfast, though. My idea of "breakfast" is stumble out of bed, grab a cup of coffee, and go. Sometimes I'll stumble into McDonald's or Subway.

edit: as for the noodle place, my wife and I got in last year by going "off hours." We went around 3pm, a late lunch or early dinner. It wasn't bad. I suspect the line won't be quite as long this year, since it won't be new.

Alarra
2011-04-13, 10:02 AM
We tend to go to Einstein Bros. for breakfast, or did last year. Previously we'd gone to this great place that I can't remember the name of. The problem with that place is it was near our hotel from 4 years ago, but pretty far from the other side of the convention center where our current hotel is. It's great though, so if you don't mind a bit of a walk, we can show you that place. I've been meaning to go to the Ram for the past 6 years now and haven't made it there yet. Maybe this year.

Pink
2011-04-13, 10:05 AM
Concerning breakfast: last year, in their game demo room, Rio Grande had a breakfast buffet almost everyday, and it was quite quiet and a reaonable amount of food as I recall...but it was a while ago. Could be a good place to meet up and grab a bite to eat while playing a game before the hall opens if people can drag themselves out of bed at that early hour. If they do it again that is.

Zherog
2011-04-13, 10:20 AM
I drag myself out of bed early most days - don't want to miss anything. Plus, GenCon has a bad habit of scheduling seminars I'm interested in at 8 in the morning.

The only time I can remember actually sleeping in is in 2009, when I had one of the 5 worst hangovers of my life on Friday morning.

Alarra -- we went to one place for breakfast that came highly recommended, I think it was last year. I can't recall the name of the place. It was, basically, a bar that was smart enough to open and fire up the grill for breakfast foods.

Smee -- what's wrong with our coffee? Too weak?

Pink -- I like buffets. But since I don't usually eat much for breakfast, I don't often get my money's worth.

I need to do a significantly better job of scheduling this year. I spend so much time with other writers and publishers -- especially in the evenings -- that I don't get time to see other folks.

SMEE
2011-04-13, 10:31 AM
Yes, Zherog, it's far too weak that I can even see through it!
My first experience with the local coffee was traumatic. The people that were there with me still laugh about it. :smallyuk:
I'm planning to bring my own coffee maker and coffee ground to avoid this particular problem.

Now, breakfast I'm usually happy with some good coffee (strong enough to raise a dead person), a cold sandwich, yogurt and fruits, so I think I'll go groceries shopping for that. Recommendation of places where I can buy such stuff is always welcome.

My plans for GenCon are mostly hanging out with friends wherever they are.
But I'll be around Phoe and Reina mostly. :smalltongue:
Maybe take a game or two this year.
And pay a visit to Dons Guns to make use of his shooting range. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2011-04-13, 10:40 AM
Oooh -- would you be willing to share some coffee grounds? I'd love to try "real" coffee. ;) Just enough for one pot would be awesome.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-13, 10:52 AM
Oh, just a fair warning. Just in case I do get to go, I would like everybody to read the banner in my extended signature, the explanation behind it, and to NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, bring it up. I'm not out to my family yet and would prefer to keep it that way until I'm ready.

Because losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend FOREVER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1zZAyLemrI)

FOREVER! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvJU3AFOOo)

Also, please don't bring up My Little Pony Friendship is Magic either.

Pink
2011-04-13, 11:06 AM
Pink -- I like buffets. But since I don't usually eat much for breakfast, I don't often get my money's worth.

I failed to mention, it was a free buffet. Unfortunately I can't recall if I tried it or not, I ate breakfast from the cafe in my hotel each day (Mmmm, parfaits), so I dunno if the food was pants or decent.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-13, 11:07 AM
I failed to mention, it was a free buffet. Unfortunately I can't recall if I tried it or not, I ate breakfast from the cafe in my hotel each day (Mmmm, parfaits), so I dunno if the food was pants or decent.

If the food is pants I can't image it's a very good buffet. :smallamused:

JediSoth
2011-04-13, 11:30 AM
Don't forget about the food court in Circle Center Mall. You can walk there from the convention center without going outside. There's at least half-a-dozen different kinds of food, and if you go to someplace like Bourbon Street (if it's even still there; I don't go to the mall that often), you can get a big plate of food relatively cheaply.

It's not low-calorie, low-sodium, or low-fat, but it will fill you up.

For finer dining options, I did a series of restaurant reviews (http://okayyourturn.yuku.com/topic/11070/Restaurant-Reviews-for-GenCon-Attendees) at OK--Your Turn a few years back. They haven't been updated since 2007, but they're still valid, for the most part, though some are a cab ride away from the Convention Center.

A note for those who don't know me (which is probably most of you), these were written before my first wife died, so don't get confused if, in future posts, I reference a different woman.

Alarra
2011-04-13, 01:16 PM
Indeed a lot of hotels will have a free continental breakfast in the morning, which would probably have fruit and yogurt and usually cooked stuff and has the advantage of being buffet style so you can have as much as you want. 99% sure that our hotel does, so in the event that yours doesn't, you can always come have breakfast with us.

Yes, Zherog, it's far too weak that I can even see through it!
My first experience with the local coffee was traumatic. The people that were there with me still laugh about it. :smallyuk:
I'm planning to bring my own coffee maker and coffee ground to avoid this particular problem.
Look at your hotel, most will have coffee pots in the room, so if you just bring your own coffee then you should be able to make it as weak or strong as you like. Just trying to save you a bit on packing. *boggles at the idea of bringing a coffee maker across the world*

I drag myself out of bed early most days - don't want to miss anything. Plus, GenCon has a bad habit of scheduling seminars I'm interested in at 8 in the morning.
The first year that I went (2005) I way over-scheduled myself and went to a lot of 8am seminars. As I recall, that's when all of the fantasy writing and world-building ones were. Every one that I went to was a joke. I didn't learn a thing I didn't know and somehow most of them (seriously, at least 3 different seminars) ended up devolving into a discussion of how aliens and humans would procreate. By Sunday, I decided to skip the writing ones and haven't gone back since. Have they improved at all? Or what seminars do you usually hit at 8am? The last few years I don't think I've done any seminars at all, maybe one or two if they sound reeeeeally interesting. But last year I don't think I even looked at what was offered. I mostly just hang out with people/cruise the dealers hall.

Oh, and regarding mini-paining classes and stuffs.... the event catalogue is huge and intimidates me and I can never find anything. So, Thes, Lex, Gwen.... if you want to look up stuff (I'm certain Thes at least always looks at every mini-painting thing...) that we might want to do and let me know where to be and if I need to buy tickets or sign up early, that'd be super. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2011-04-13, 01:28 PM
@Alarra: I saw the coffee maker at that hotel we stayed in 2008.
It wouldn't fit enough coffee ground to make a decent coffee. I tried, and tried hard. :smalltongue:

The continental breakfast there was rather disappointing too, not to mention the "coffee" they had there. :smalleek:
With all those points taken into account, I am considering making my own breakfast for safety.

PhoeKun
2011-04-13, 01:38 PM
@Alarra: I saw the coffee maker at that hotel we stayed in 2008.
It wouldn't fit enough coffee ground to make a decent coffee. I tried, and tried hard. :smalltongue:

The continental breakfast there was rather disappointing too, not to mention the "coffee" they had there. :smalleek:
With all those points taken into account, I am considering making my own breakfast for safety.

Or we could just go out. Hotels don't normally put a whole lot of effort into catering breakfast, since they're offering it for free and have a ton of guests, plus the fact that pretty much everypony looks at breakfast as "that thing you sneak in on your way to work sometimes". For years now, my idea of breakfast has been a can of soda or a cup of cranberry juice. :smalltongue:

But really, there are places where you can find something resembling actual meals that are prepared for those freakish people with time and the inclination to sit down and eat in the morning...

Pink
2011-04-13, 01:40 PM
Indeed a lot of hotels will have a free continental breakfast in the morning, which would probably have fruit and yogurt and usually cooked stuff and has the advantage of being buffet style so you can have as much as you want. 99% sure that our hotel does, so in the event that yours doesn't, you can always come have breakfast with us.

:smallfrown: My hotel last year didn't have free breakfast.... different hotel this year though, so hoping.

SMEE
2011-04-13, 02:02 PM
Or we could just go out. Hotels don't normally put a whole lot of effort into catering breakfast, since they're offering it for free and have a ton of guests, plus the fact that pretty much everypony looks at breakfast as "that thing you sneak in on your way to work sometimes". For years now, my idea of breakfast has been a can of soda or a cup of cranberry juice. :smalltongue:

But really, there are places where you can find something resembling actual meals that are prepared for those freakish people with time and the inclination to sit down and eat in the morning...

You mean people like me. :smalltongue:
I never ever skip breakfast. How is it possible for someone to skip breakfast?
Or not eat anything at all during breakfast? :smalleek:

I think I live in a totally different world from you guys.

JediSoth
2011-04-13, 02:36 PM
Steak n Shake actually has a pretty decent breakfast. White Castle does, too. Panera is good if you want to get away from the grease a bit, but you can easily get too much sugar and simple carbs eating breakfast there. You can also try Acapulco Joe's (it's a bit of a hike from the convention center, but doable); they have The. Best. Biscuits & Gravy in the city. Just ... order a large glass of milk with it, 'cause they're hot (and I'm not talking temperature). I believe there is also a Le Peep nearby, which specializes in breakfast and lunch.

Or, you can hit the CVS downtown, buy a box of Instant Oatmeal (or bring your own) and make it using hot water from your room's coffee maker. If you live near enough to be able to bring a packed cooler, boiler some eggs before hand. Most hotel rooms have a mini-fridge. Put the boiled eggs in there, bring some instant oatmeal, and viola! You have an quick and relatively healthy breakfast.

KenderWizard
2011-04-13, 02:50 PM
GenCon was tricky for food for me. Myself and my boyfriend are broke students, so we were trying to spend as little as possible. We're both fussy eaters, but differently fussy. And I'm gluten intolerant, so I can have _some_ bread, but sandwiches for every meal was not an option. At least, not a good option. Although I did make a sandwich in the hotel room at one point when I was starving: I toasted it using baking paper and the iron! We never did manage to get into Steak-n-Shake, it was always packed when we tried to go...

Zherog
2011-04-13, 03:03 PM
The first year that I went (2005) I way over-scheduled myself and went to a lot of 8am seminars. As I recall, that's when all of the fantasy writing and world-building ones were. Every one that I went to was a joke. I didn't learn a thing I didn't know and somehow most of them (seriously, at least 3 different seminars) ended up devolving into a discussion of how aliens and humans would procreate. By Sunday, I decided to skip the writing ones and haven't gone back since. Have they improved at all? Or what seminars do you usually hit at 8am? The last few years I don't think I've done any seminars at all, maybe one or two if they sound reeeeeally interesting. But last year I don't think I even looked at what was offered. I mostly just hang out with people/cruise the dealers hall.

Let's see... *gets out flash drive and pulls up last year's spreadsheet*

Last year, there was nothing on Thursday until Noon.

Friday at 9:00am there was a seminar on "writing the good fight." I either skipped it or don't remember a damn thing from it.

Saturday at 9am was a "What's Coming from Open Design" seminar. I went to it, in large part because I do some freelance work for OD/Kobold Quarterly, and it's a good way to get tips about what the publisher wants.

Sunday at 9am was another Open Design seminar, followed at 10am by the "Freelancing 101" seminar that I was on the panel for.

You're right that they do seem to like putting the writing seminars early - although it may just seem that way because the "Writer's Symposium" group seems to have seminars all through the day. I find their seminars to be hit and miss - I think for somebody like me who's simply looking to do freelance game design, they don't really offer much. For somebody who's looking to write fiction, though, a lot of their stuff looks like it would be interesting.

You mean people like me. :smalltongue:
I never ever skip breakfast. How is it possible for someone to skip breakfast?
Or not eat anything at all during breakfast? :smalleek:

I think I live in a totally different world from you guys.

Nah - just a different continent. ;)

I can't eat when I first wake up. I never sleep well (sadly) and so it takes me a good long while to feel "awake." My day consists of rolling out of bed around 7am and checking email/Facebook, then getting ready for work and helping get the kids ready for school. Then rolling out the door to get to work.

Once I'm at work, I get a large (20 ounce) cup of coffee and make instant oatmeal. That's typically around 9:30. I have a very large lunch around 12:30. I eat some fruit around 4pm (note to self: peel orange after typing this). I eat a small-ish dinner around 6:30-7. I sometimes will snack on pretzels or crackers around 10pm, and I go to bed around midnight.

I start to get hungry typically an hour and half to two hours after I wake up. That's just how I roll. ;)

Steak n Shake actually has a pretty decent breakfast. White Castle does, too.

Steak N Shake is my wife's breakfast place of choice. I think White Castle has absolutely horrid lunch/dinner food, so I can't imagine what their breakfast is like.

JediSoth
2011-04-13, 03:09 PM
Steak N Shake is my wife's breakfast place of choice. I think White Castle has absolutely horrid lunch/dinner food, so I can't imagine what their breakfast is like.

MUCH fewer onions. :) And they do use fresh eggs. Even people who can't stomach their burgers admit the breakfasts are of a different caliber.

Zherog
2011-04-13, 03:19 PM
Hmmm... where is WC in relation to the convention center? I'll try just about anything once...

JediSoth
2011-04-13, 03:46 PM
Hmmm... where is WC in relation to the convention center? I'll try just about anything once...

It's about a 1/2 mile away, easily within walking distance. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=W+Maryland+St&daddr=55+West+South+Street,+Indianapolis,+IN+46225-1111+(White+Castle)&hl=en&geocode=FQvHXgIdWz7d-g%3BFea0XgIdvU7d-iENGnQo9YNtjykllt-Bo1BriDGlp1BflDWe3w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=39.762037,-86.164763&sspn=0.013163,0.027874&ie=UTF8&z=16)

Zherog
2011-04-13, 03:55 PM
Thanks .

AngelSword
2011-04-13, 03:59 PM
As far as food goes, there's only one thing I try to do while I'm there; late night Steak & Shake run with people. Well, one person in particular o//////o

A lot of the food within the convention center is good in an emergency, but I recommend avoiding it if you can. If you have the energy, you should at least make your way to the mall and peruse their offerings. Some of it isn't much better than the stuff in the convention center, but it'll be cheaper.

EDIT:I've submitted two events for review, tentatively scheduled for Thursday and Friday at 6 PM.
RPG1126705: Castles & Chemo Encore, Thursday @ 6
RPG1126706: Castles & Chemo Encore, Friday @ 6

Zherog
2011-04-13, 04:06 PM
I've refused to pay convention center prices since my first year there, when we got a terrible sandwich and nearly fainted at the price. There's too many good options right nearby.

Smee: Another place where you'll be able to grab an actual plate of food (rather than just a sandwich and fries) is Champions in the Marriott (right across the street from the Convention Center and next to the Westin). I'm not saying it's great food. But it was good enough that I'd go back. They don't have breakfast, though. ;)

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-13, 04:50 PM
All I can say is I'll probably be worrying about gaining weight over the Con :P. Putting aside the fact that I'll probably be eating out for all meals, I was introduced to steak n' shake last year, and while delicious, repeated meals there can't be good for the waistline. But, mmmmmmm, steakburger and milkshake is so good.

I saw the line at that noodle place too, and wouldn't mind trying it, but time spent waiting is time not spent gaming! :DOne thing that helps with the waistline is that, for those four days, I do so much more walking/gaming/laughing/etc that I need something that sticks with ya in order to keep the energy levels going.

About the noodle place, we discovered this last year, they take phone orders! :smallcool:

Previously we'd gone to this great place that I can't remember the name of.Le Peep. That was the most awesome-tastic breakfast restaurant. Maybe because it was three blocks from our hotel that year, but they were always happy to see 12 of us walk in and ask for a table together. :smallcool: They were also able to get all of our orders right and in a timely manner.

cycoris
2011-04-13, 09:32 PM
:smalleek:

Oh dear, I'm going to have to figure out where to get

-first breakfast
-second breakfast
-elevenses
-lunch
-snack
-tea
-supper
-snack

Otherwise known as "dealing with my hypoglycaemia and need to eat every 3 hours", hobbithood, or grazing tendencies.

Does anyone have suggestions/ideas? Do they let you bring food into the convention centre? I know many don't, but the idea of having to go and hunt down sustenance every couple of hours sounds incredibly un-fun.

Phae Nymna
2011-04-13, 10:35 PM
I wish I could go! I am going to find a way next year dammit.

Alarra
2011-04-14, 12:33 AM
Does anyone have suggestions/ideas? Do they let you bring food into the convention centre? I know many don't, but the idea of having to go and hunt down sustenance every couple of hours sounds incredibly un-fun.

Pretty sure you're allowed to bring food into the convention center. I'd recommend bringing a lot of travel friendly snacks for between meals. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-14, 12:40 AM
At the very least, you're allowed to bring large bags in and could easily stash snack bars or something.

cycoris
2011-04-14, 12:46 AM
Oooh, okay, great! Thanks! I'll probably bring lots of snackses then, my precious...

Provided that I sort out my financial aid stuff from China. :smallannoyed:

PhoeKun
2011-04-14, 12:47 AM
As I recall they sell snacks inside the Dealer's Hall. So while that doesn't really equate to an official policy, it seems a relatively safe bet that you're not going to be thrown out for eating things inside the convention center.

Making sure there's plenty of acceptable solutions on hand, however, is still going to be important. The stuff inside the main building is super expensive and not all that great (foldable fortune cookies, I have not forgotten you), so if it's important to have good food on hand at all times, make sure you've got something packed away.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-14, 12:49 AM
As I recall they sell snacks inside the Dealer's Hall. So while that doesn't really equate to an official policy, it seems a relatively safe bet that you're not going to be thrown out for eating things inside the convention center.

Making sure there's plenty of acceptable solutions on hand, however, is still going to be important. The stuff inside the main building is super expensive and not all that great (foldable fortune cookies, I have not forgotten you), so if it's important to have good food on hand at all times, make sure you've got something packed away.

My plan is trail mix. I'll probably get sick of it after a day or two but it's better than 3 USD for a single slice of pizza. :smallannoyed:

cycoris
2011-04-14, 01:04 AM

Okay, at least there's somewhere to get food when times get tough, though that sounds pretty terrible. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Kyuubi, what are your preferred pronouns for IRL stuffs then? (yeah, I was too lazy to look at the last page and find your actual post. :smalltongue:)

Mystic Muse
2011-04-14, 01:07 AM
Okay, at least there's somewhere to get food when times get tough, though that sounds pretty terrible. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Kyuubi, what are your preferred pronouns for IRL stuffs then? (yeah, I was too lazy to look at the last page and find your actual post. :smalltongue:)

Male ones. At least, until I'm ready to come out to my family.

Alarra
2011-04-14, 01:19 AM
(foldable fortune cookies, I have not forgotten you) Actually, those were delivered, not from the convention center. Though yes, their food certainly leaves something to be desired.

KenderWizard
2011-04-14, 02:39 AM
My plan is trail mix. I'll probably get sick of it after a day or two but it's better than 3 USD for a single slice of pizza. :smallannoyed:

I was like "3 USD for a single slice of pizza? Score!". And then I was like "Oh... In America, you can get much food for not much money, and probably free refills on your drink with that...". In Ireland, at a big event in a convention centre, I wouldn't be surprised to see a single slice of pizza go for a fiver. Which is apparently 7.25 USD.

cycoris
2011-04-14, 02:57 AM
Male ones. At least, until I'm ready to come out to my family.

Okay, thanks.

ION: I'm probably going to have food expense shock, coming from China. Would anyone mind giving me an estimate of how much I can expect to spend over the course of a weekend? I can go to GenCon as long as I can guarantee that my savings will cover it while still being able to pay for my tuition and textbooks in full in September (thank heavens for government grants, and loans scare me). But anyways, a closer-to-accurate-than-mine estimate would be very helpful.

Deth Muncher
2011-04-14, 06:07 AM
So, after looking at this: It's a 10 hour drive from where I am to Indianapolis. Which, while not HORRIBLE, is a bit of a shlep. If I can convince my girlfriend she wants to go, though... *plots* Trouble is, it's quite literally just after Otakon, which we're going to, so she may be conventioned out. :/

EDIT: But if I do make it, I demand a Playground get-together! Or else!

EmeraldRose
2011-04-14, 06:18 AM
Someday we'll make it. Once there are funds and the kids are older....or we can spring for family to watch them for the trip or something.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-14, 09:45 AM
I was like "3 USD for a single slice of pizza? Score!". And then I was like "Oh... In America, you can get much food for not much money, and probably free refills on your drink with that...". In Ireland, at a big event in a convention centre, I wouldn't be surprised to see a single slice of pizza go for a fiver. Which is apparently 7.25 USD.

Yeah. I can get a double cheese burger, fries, and a soft drink with free refills for 4 USD at Steak and Shake, and it will probably taste better than that pizza does anyway.

wxdruid
2011-04-14, 09:56 AM
For food and drinks, I usually bring a case of water with me in the car (you can probably find a place to buy one there) and boxes of cereal/fiber bars and chocolate for breakfast/snacks. I usually carry a locked backpack with me and inside I keep 2 water bottles and some snacks for the day. I hardly ever eat on time anyway, although I do look for the slightly healthier choices.

As for costs

hotel - about 1,000 with me paying the entire cost (although a single roommate wouldn't be out of the question provided I know them) and includes 20-25 dollars a day to park my car. I also get a hotel right when the housing block opens and I have always ended up with a hotel less than 1/2 mile away and usually it is usually connected with the convention center in some way.

food - depends on where you eat. I eat out at a combination of places, a few sit down ones, a few at the mall. Mall food 5-10 dollars depending on what you get. Sit down places between 10-30 dollars. So, taking $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner equals $160 from Wed noon to Mon through lunch. Up that a little to include snacks, so about $200 total for food. Of course there are ways to spend less than this.

Badges - Pre-registration for a 4 day badge is $68, buying one on site is $78. If you wait to buy it, I suggest going on Wed evening to buy it, the lines will be a lot shorter than in the morning hours.

Hopefully this'll help.

JediSoth
2011-04-14, 10:21 AM
If you have a refrigerator and microwave in your hotel room (which you most likely will), you can save a lot of money by eating leftovers, because if you get food at a sit-down, table-service restaurant, you WILL get more food than you should eat at one sitting.

Granted, schlepping the food back to your room and going back there to eat will cut in on your gaming time, but you have to prioritize if you're on a tight budget.

Deth Muncher
2011-04-14, 10:30 AM
If you have a refrigerator and microwave in your hotel room (which you most likely will), you can save a lot of money by eating leftovers, because if you get food at a sit-down, table-service restaurant, you WILL get more food than you should eat at one sitting.

Granted, schlepping the food back to your room and going back there to eat will cut in on your gaming time, but you have to prioritize if you're on a tight budget.

Check the local fire codes for Indianapolis. I was GREATLY perturbed when I went to ComicCon and found out that the Gaslamp District of San Diego does not allow microwaves in hotel rooms. I cooked many cans of Chef Boyardee using naught but the iron they provided and a skillet I bought for a dollar. Good times were to be had, but very annoying.

Pink
2011-04-14, 10:39 AM
I cooked many cans of Chef Boyardee using naught but the iron they provided and a skillet I bought for a dollar. Good times were to be had, but very annoying.

O.o

Gamers: have more ranks in survival than you might think.

cycoris
2011-04-14, 10:46 AM
wxdruid, thanks a lot! It's good to know that my estimate wasn't actually completely off. :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2011-04-14, 11:01 AM
From your post it sounded like you needed actual numbers. I always use part of my tax return for the trip and spend up to 2500 total. And that is for 2 people with hotel, food, and of course all the stuff we buy. :smallbiggrin:

Zherog
2011-04-14, 11:07 AM
Much like the lovely Wx, we also drive and take advantage of that by bringing some stuff along. Granola or fruit & cereal bars are a common item to pack. Apples often make the trip. A few other things. There's definitely places nearby where you could pick up similar stuff, such as the CVS in the mall. (Am I misremembering? There's a CVS either in Circle Center or right near it, right?)

My estimate off the top of my head is that you could do food for $50 a day. That wouldn't include going to any of the fancier, more expensive places (St. Elmo's Steakhouse, for example) but you also won't be eating solely from the McDonald's dollar value menu either. Obviously, you can adjust up or down as needed for your tastes and style of eating.

JediSoth
2011-04-14, 11:12 AM
Much like the lovely Wx, we also drive and take advantage of that by bringing some stuff along. Granola or fruit & cereal bars are a common item to pack. Apples often make the trip. A few other things. There's definitely places nearby where you could pick up similar stuff, such as the CVS in the mall. (Am I misremembering? There's a CVS either in Circle Center or right near it, right?)

My estimate off the top of my head is that you could do food for $50 a day. That wouldn't include going to any of the fancier, more expensive places (St. Elmo's Steakhouse, for example) but you also won't be eating solely from the McDonald's dollar value menu either. Obviously, you can adjust up or down as needed for your tastes and style of eating.

There's a CVS near the mall, but not in the mall unless they've added one since the last time I was downtown.

It's about 1/2 mile from the Convention Center (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=W+Maryland+St&daddr=175+North+Illinois+Street,+Indianapolis,+IN+ 46204+(CVS%2Fpharmacy)&hl=en&geocode=FQjHXgIdJz_d-g%3BFXPXXgIdwE7d-iETvOre21q4SSkdtEq0vlBriDFOVmDysXOC2w&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=39.767645,-86.160021&sspn=0.013162,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=39.767571,-86.161448&spn=0.006581,0.013937&z=17).

Alarra
2011-04-14, 11:47 AM
hotel - about 1,000 with me paying the entire cost (although a single roommate wouldn't be out of the question provided I know them) and includes 20-25 dollars a day to park my car. I also get a hotel right when the housing block opens and I have always ended up with a hotel less than 1/2 mile away and usually it is usually connected with the convention center in some way.

I'm definitely going to recommend getting roommates. It brings the cost waaaay down. It can also be a lot of fun. We haven't confirmed who all is in our room yet, but it's looking like it's going to cost each person somewhere between $96 and $130. This doesn't include car parking (we don't usually park at the hotel), and if you're coming from China, I doubt you'll be driving. :smalltongue: But yeah, we also get our hotel right when it opens, so there are probably not a lot of rooms available in the housing block anymore. Although if you check the gencon forums, people will often need to give rooms up. Last year we did connected and it was greeeeat. This year we opted for a bigger suite, but it's still very close to the convention center.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-14, 12:41 PM
So, after looking at this: It's a 10 hour drive from where I am to Indianapolis. Which, while not HORRIBLE, is a bit of a shlep. If I can convince my girlfriend she wants to go, though... *plots* Trouble is, it's quite literally just after Otakon, which we're going to, so she may be conventioned out. :/

EDIT: But if I do make it, I demand a Playground get-together! Or else!We shlep from Baltimore. I feel your pain. Also, you've never read one of these threads before, have you? Yes, there will be a meetup every night of the convention. Where it'll be is yet to be determined solely because they've basically rebuilt the convention center since last year, but Krade'll have it figured out before we get there.

or we can spring for family to watch them for the trip or something.This is what we're doing.

looking like it's going to cost each person somewhere between $96 and $130.Note that this is total, not per night, for each person's share.

KenderWizard
2011-04-14, 12:59 PM
Yeah. I can get a double cheese burger, fries, and a soft drink with free refills for 4 USD at Steak and Shake, and it will probably taste better than that pizza does anyway.

O.o Woooooooooooooooooow. I miss America!

Mystic Muse
2011-04-14, 01:01 PM
O.o Woooooooooooooooooow. I miss America!

To be fair, it's not a very big double cheeseburger compared to some. But I would get fries and a drink so it would certainly fill me up more than one slice of pizza for a dollar less.

Heck, it might not even cost that if you have a coupon.

And now I am hungry. Luckily, I think we have hamburger patties here I can cook up.

Can't drink pop again for another ten days though. :smallfrown:

Krade
2011-04-14, 01:13 PM
For one, you all seem to be mentioning a lot of sandwich places, while a basic meal for me looks like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UvkvioHCrMo/SwmejRkIvzI/AAAAAAAAAO0/d2iAlERXvpA/s1600/Prato+Feito+Brazilian+Food.jpg
Rather than a sandwich. :smalltongue:

So, if you can point me to places where I can get stuff like that "prato feito" or buffet restaurants, I will be most thankful. :smallsmile:

While there wouldn't be that much variety on a single plate, it doesn't look much different from Yats that I mentioned earlier which will weigh in (at most) 9 USD per person. What I get usually puts me at 6. Of course, that's if you want to drive 2 miles to get there AND hope you have a parking space when you get back.

Edit: I don't like the one downtown as much as the one closer to my house (where I also ocassionally get a discount, if not flat-out free because the owner is cool like that and I literally eat there almost everyday), but that would be 6 miles away.

KenderWizard
2011-04-15, 01:08 PM
To be fair, it's not a very big double cheeseburger compared to some. But I would get fries and a drink so it would certainly fill me up more than one slice of pizza for a dollar less.

Heck, it might not even cost that if you have a coupon.

And now I am hungry. Luckily, I think we have hamburger patties here I can cook up.

Can't drink pop again for another ten days though. :smallfrown:

You're making me hungry too! I hope we have dinner soon... Wish it was double cheeseburgers!

I'm getting excited about GenCon, but it's still SO far away! I have to sit a whole bunch of exams and do a six week mapping project first. :smallannoyed:

Mystic Muse
2011-04-15, 01:10 PM
You're making me hungry too! I hope we have dinner soon... Wish it was double cheeseburgers!

Not the ones I tried to make. I don't know what the problem was but they wouldn't cook through and they kind of fell apart.

AngelSword
2011-04-20, 04:55 PM
Since it seems to have been missed…

I will be in attendance.

Thank you. :smalltongue:

Fan
2011-04-30, 12:22 AM
In other news, due to recent inspiration for a good time, I have decided to hold a small party for those willing to attend at The Hilton West.

I am allowed a number of Guests in the double room I have, and I never plan on staying there again after this year, so might as well live it up!

Thus I ask the playground, namely those who would be able to attend such an event, what foods I should bring / prepare!

I have a few college courses in cooking under my belt, so don't be shy when asking for fancy stuff. I appreciate a challenge.

(Note, I will only be taking on 3 or so dishes, due to having to make enough for EVERYONE.)

Fan
2011-05-01, 03:42 AM
Wow a whole day with the promise of a party, and semi gourmet food.. and no one responds.

I must be the most unpopular thing since anything.:smallconfused:

Lex-Kat
2011-05-01, 04:11 AM
Naw. I just don't know any gourmet food to ask for. The only thing I know is Soufflé. And I don't imagine that would be easy to make, and then drag to Indianapolis.

But I wouldn't mind hanging out with you a little bit. :smallsmile:

Fan
2011-05-01, 05:59 AM
Naw. I just don't know any gourmet food to ask for. The only thing I know is Soufflé. And I don't imagine that would be easy to make, and then drag to Indianapolis.

But I wouldn't mind hanging out with you a little bit. :smallsmile:

I've been asked for Tuna Casserole. :smalltongue:

Simple things count to, and I have no shame in ordering out if that's what people want. Though honestly, anything home cooked probably tastes better.:smallwink:

Also drinks would be nice, I have a person coming with who can purchase the more *ahem* Adult beverages, so that kind of thing isn't out of my grasp for the sake of this.

Thing is, I thought everyone would be stoked to have the offer of REAL FOOD free of cost at Gencon at least one night of the whole set up.

I mean, I'm staying at the Hilton West, I'm within walking distance of the convention center.:smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2011-05-01, 08:29 AM
Here's where my train of thought went...

'Cool party for anyone interested. Any details I need to provide? Do I need to RSVP or anything? *read read* Huh, just food requests. I'm down with anything I don't have to pay for, so I'll let other people be picky. Sounds like a good time.'

And so, I did not respond, but would be more than happy to participate if your room doesn't fill up before I get there.

I reckon a fair few others had a similar thought process.

Pink
2011-05-01, 09:16 AM

'Cool party for anyone interested. Any details I need to provide? Do I need to RSVP or anything? *read read* Huh, just food requests. I'm down with anything I don't have to pay for, so I'll let other people be picky. Sounds like a good time.'

And so, I did not respond, but would be more than happy to participate if your room doesn't fill up before I get there.

Zeb reckons correctly.

Fan
2011-05-01, 09:31 AM

The thread has also been dead awhile. So I guess I was just mostly being stupid silly. :smalltongue:

As for number of people, I could PROBABLY get around 8 or 9 before the double king suite I'm paying for would be uncomfortably crowded. /not experienced with hotel rooms that have more than a twin sized bed.:smalltongue:

Lex-Kat
2011-05-01, 01:15 PM
Mmmm. Tuna Casserole. I likes. :smallsmile:

Maybe SMEE could ask for something she likes.

SMEE
2011-05-01, 01:31 PM
I doubt we can make "churrasco" on a hotel room. :smalltongue:

I am pretty sure they would be bothered by the fire inside the room to roast the meat. :smallcool:

Fan
2011-05-01, 01:40 PM
I doubt we can make "churrasco" on a hotel room. :smalltongue:

I am pretty sure they would be bothered by the fire inside the room to roast the meat. :smallcool:

Well, from my understanding it's just grilled meat served on a skewer.

So that wouldn't be too hard to do. How do you like your meat spices wise? I'll copy it to a notepad, and buy them a week or so before from the Farmer's Market we have in town.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-01, 01:47 PM
Since it seems to have been missed…

I will be in attendance.

Thank you. :smalltongue:
Not missed. I just neglected my duties as henchpixie. Sowwy. :smallfrown:

Alarra
2011-05-02, 12:42 AM
Anyone interested in getting together a group to do true dungeon?

wxdruid
2011-05-02, 01:02 AM
As long as it's the easy version? I've never done it before, but I have a few tokens for it.

KenderWizard
2011-05-02, 04:02 AM
Tue Dungeon looks like so much fun, but is so expensive. I'm amazed by the people who play loads of times with loads of tokens.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-02, 05:42 AM
I would like to. I'm a True Dungeon Virgin. Is it as scary as it seems? :smalleek:

Zeb The Troll
2011-05-02, 05:50 AM
We haven't done it either, but we've heard tell it's awesome.

Zherog
2011-05-02, 07:22 AM
I would like to. I'm a True Dungeon Virgin. Is it as scary as it seems? :smalleek:

No, it's not scary at all. It's completely freakin' awesome!

Lex-Kat
2011-05-02, 07:55 AM
Yes, I would love to participate in a True Dungeon. :smallsmile:

Alarra
2011-05-02, 09:23 AM
No, it's not scary at all. It's completely freakin' awesome!

Agreed....even on Nightmare version, which is what I ended up winning a ticket to the one time I did it....6 years ago. It is kind of expensive, but they've lowered the price from last year.

Pink
2011-05-02, 09:44 AM
Ah yes, true dungeon is a true blast. However I'm afraid I'm already part of a group this year. So, unless you have tickets for the friday-11:50am timeslot for the dragon path, or the friday-5:12pm, I'm afraid I won't be able to tag along

Concerning difficulty and the experience, I did both quests last year on regular mode. Died on the dragon quest (as did like 97% of groups I believe, [stupid wil wheaton one-shotting the dragon]) and I believe we failed the last puzzle of the other one. However the experience was quite fun for the most part. The puzzles were interesting, some trickier than others, but me and my friend didn't find them too difficult, and combat was alright (shuffleboard tables). A lot of the experience will depend on the GM you get in each room, some will make it better, some will make it worse. But lot's of fun, and obviously doing it again.

If GitP is planning on a run, do it quick and try to buy tickets to the same slot, cause these go fast.

As a recomendation, when you finish the quest check the value of all of your tokens. Last year, my friend pulled a token from the treasure box that he sold for over $100, we had good sushi that day. That's right, expensive as it is, we broke even, if not made a profit, I can't recall exactly how much it went for.

Alarra
2011-05-02, 10:02 AM
@^ Saaad, neither of those slots have a lot of spots open. *goes to look at them specifically...* They're both sold out...

Okay, if we are going to go, we should decide on a time and adventure pretty soon before there aren't any large group slots left. There are lots left right now, so we have a couple days.

Go here (http://truedungeon.com/item/42-2011-event-details) to learn about the different adventures. There are 3 - Dragon Redoubt, Lair of the Sea Lich (puzzle oriented), and Lair of the Sea Lich (combat oriented). Unfortunately, the 'puzzle oriented' have no slots available for more than 1 or 2 people, so it looks like we're going to have to go with one of the other two.

I've made a couple tables here that list the type, time and slot available for easier planning purposes. And I didn't bother looking at Nightmare slots.

Dragon Redoubt:
Day|Time|Slots left
Th|12:38pm|8
Th|2:02pm|8
Th|4:05pm|8
Th|11:14pm|9
Fr|11:02pm|10
Sa|12:14pm|8
Sa|6:14pm|8
Sa|7:26pm|10
Sa|8:26pm|10
Sa|9:50pm|8
Sa|10:38pm|8
Sa|11:26pm|10

Lair of the Sea Lich (combat)
{table]Day|Time|Slots left
Th|12:37pm|8
Th|3:49pm|10
Th|4:01pm|9
Th|5:37pm|10
Th|6:01pm|9
Th|11:37pm|8
Th|11:49pm|10
Fr|2:49pm|10
Fr|10:25pm|9
Fr|10:49pm|10
Fr|11:13pm|10
Fr|11:25pm|9
Sa|11:13am|10
Sa|12:01pm|10
Sa|12:37pm|10
Sa|12:49pm|10
Sa|1:13pm|8
Sa|3:13pm|8
Sa|4:01pm|9
Sa|4:49pm|10
Sa|5:37pm|10
Sa|5:49pm|10
Sa|6:13pm|10
Sa|7:49pm|9
Sa|10:01pm|8
Sa|10:37pm|10
Sa|10:49pm|10
Sa|11:49pm|10
Sa|11:37pm|10
Sa|11:13pm|10[/table]

Those of you with events planned, let us know which times would work best for your, or at least, which ones won't work and we'll figure something out. The late night ones are probably not as good for Gwen (and Cat?)...though I will say for those of you that don't think you can afford it (especially if we do a late night one) that you should come along with us anyway, because they will let people in without a ticket if they need to fill the group up. (at least they did 6 years ago, don't know if things have changed.) This doesn't often happen during midday though, as those ones will fill up by con time.

Z3ro
2011-05-02, 10:04 AM
Just to throw in there I'll be at the 12:01 Fri Sea Lich Combat.

Pink
2011-05-02, 10:18 AM
Speaking of planning out events...*looks towards Zeb + Alarra* ummm...any thoughts on Nascrag?

Also, if I recall from last year, I don't think they give out free slots, however they definately sell spots if there are no shows.

Alarra
2011-05-02, 10:33 AM
We've been thinking about it...haven't decided yet if we want to. Not sure why we're being hesitant, we always have a lot of fun. We should maybe try to put together a gitp group for that too, though we have time to decide on that. Course, if we are going to, that knocks out all Sat. options for TD, as while I wouldn't plan on making round 2 or 3 of Nascrag, I'd hate to lose a $38 ticket if we happened to move on.

Krade
2011-05-02, 02:34 PM
I am interested in a TD run. I'm good for whatever timeslot we can manage as well. So just decide what time we want to go and I can get the ticket if it's available.

wxdruid
2011-05-02, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm not so much a fan of late late night runs. If we can find one afternoon to evening that would be fine. I don't have any other set plans yet.

The GenCon website information says 13+. catlover will be 13 on 6 Aug. :smalltongue: I know she wants to go.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-02, 07:49 PM
I'm good for anytime.

Alarra
2011-05-03, 08:35 AM
How's Lair of Sea Lich, 3:49pm on Thursday sound to everyone? It still has 10 slots open, so if we get a few more people (sounds like we have 6 right now?) they should still be able to get in, and will finish before the nightly meetup.

Balthor
2011-05-03, 09:17 AM
I will be doing friday at 450 for dragon Redoubt and friday at 1149 am for sea-lich. those were the one I could get

Lex-Kat
2011-05-03, 12:04 PM
Won't any time other than Saturday leave Catlover out? She won't legally be 13 until Saturday.

I don't know how early Nascrag starts, but there are 11:13 am and 12:01 games that have 10 spaces open.

Alarra
2011-05-03, 12:34 PM
Nascrag starts at 1, so neither of those would work. I'm sure they wouldn't be stickler enough to worry about 2 days. I'm fairly certain that it's just a recommended age anyway, and since she'd be going with her mother she'd be able to come anyway.

druid91
2011-05-03, 01:22 PM
So... What is this gencon thing like?

I've never been to a convention.

Ever.

KenderWizard
2011-05-03, 03:02 PM

Ever.

Your mind. It should prepare to be blown.

druid91
2011-05-03, 03:06 PM
Your mind. It should prepare to be blown.

Considering I'm still not going (yet at least) that is not very helpful..:smalltongue:

JediSoth
2011-05-03, 03:18 PM

Ever.

Imagine 25,000 gamers in one place. Imagine, if you can, being able to play any of thousands of different games 24/7 for 4 days. The dealer hall is several thousand square feet of unbridled, pure gaming-related consumerism. Stormtroopers hang out with Captain Jack Sparrow and Master Chief, while little kids ooh and ahh over full-sized RC R2D2s. Sometimes, you see minstrels and people bashing each other with oversized foam weapons. At least once, you will see four Ghostbusters, but no ghosts. If you're lucky, you might see Leeloo.

wxdruid
2011-05-03, 07:16 PM
I say close enough works for 13+ She'd be with me and we'll probably both die anyways. :smalltongue:

Has a time slot/game been decided on yet?

And on Saturday I'll be very dressed up and not in the completely comfortable sort of way. :smallamused:

Alarra
2011-05-03, 07:23 PM
I suggested Lair of Sea Lich, 3:49pm on Thursday. We have the choice to run it in 'non-lethal' mode if we would like, so that no one dies. Course it would help to have the entire slot bought out with gitpers if we want to try to do that.

wxdruid
2011-05-03, 07:24 PM
That sounds good to me.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-03, 09:29 PM
I'll buy my event tickets for it when I get home. :smallsmile:

wxdruid
2011-05-03, 09:39 PM
So, for TDA1125972 The Lair of the Sea-Lich (combat oriented) Thursday 3:49pm. I just want to make sure I have the correct one.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-03, 09:54 PM
Yep. That's the one.

wxdruid
2011-05-04, 07:39 PM
I bought two tickets for that event. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-04, 09:40 PM
I have one. :smallsmile:

Alarra
2011-05-04, 10:32 PM
Indurain, Zeb and I have tickets as well.

Krade
2011-05-05, 04:21 AM
I shall buy mine when I get home from work today!

*is excited*

AngelSword
2011-05-05, 04:25 AM
Sadly, I must decline attendance, as the first run of my event starts at 6, and I'd rather not rush to try and make it :smallfrown:

Zeb The Troll
2011-05-05, 04:43 AM
Oh, yeah, that'd be cutting it a bit close. How about if we come harrass you at your event and regale you with tales of our awesome? :smallcool:

AngelSword
2011-05-05, 04:59 AM
http://arch.413chan.net/okay-face-(n1299530375611).jpg

Also, if people are interested, I can run the adventure for it late Friday or Saturday.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-05, 08:38 PM
What game is that?

AngelSword
2011-05-05, 10:40 PM
My Castles & Chemo Encore (https://www.genconreg.com/events/26705) events. They actually made it to live events.

Krade
2011-05-06, 10:25 AM
Okay. I totally forgot to buy it yesterday, but I just bought it now so it's all good. I count seven people confirmed here and there are two slots left at this moment. So hurry and grab your tickets if you wanna go!

Edit: Aaand the Red Dragon Inn Doppleganger Tournament will clash with TD. Naturally. It starts at 1:00 so I suppose I could try it and hope it ends on time (or I get eliminated). I think I might have to pass on it this year.

Alarra
2011-05-06, 01:00 PM
Awww, that's too bad. I enjoyed the doppleganger tournament. My brother bought a ticket as well, so I think we still have all the slots at that time.

Krade
2011-05-07, 11:32 AM
I have decided that my normal way of doing things for GenCon (sleeping even less than most people) has become... bothersome. I do this because I don't have a car and live over 5 miles away. So I just want to put out there that I am willing to chip in on a room so I can have a place to crash when I need it and set down my stuff where it will be safe.

Last year I went home the first two nights and stayed up all the third night. While that was better than what I have done before (stay up for two straight nights), it was still incredibly inconvenient.

KenderWizard
2011-05-07, 02:57 PM
I have decided that my normal way of doing things for GenCon (sleeping even less than most people) has become... bothersome. I do this because I don't have a car and live over 5 miles away. So I just want to put out there that I am willing to chip in on a room so I can have a place to crash when I need it and set down my stuff where it will be safe.

Last year I went home the first two nights and stayed up all the third night. While that was better than what I have done before (stay up for two straight nights), it was still incredibly inconvenient.

Wow, I really didn't think you would have accommodation issues! :smalltongue: Was there never anyone going from nearby you could grab a lift with?

Lex-Kat
2011-05-07, 02:58 PM

You can crash at my place.

Crowne Plaza at Historic Union Station
123 West Louisiana Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Lex-Kat
2011-05-07, 03:45 PM
So, here's my planned itinerary (in case anyone cares) for the Weekend:

Thursday

3:49 to 5:49- True Dungeon: Lair of the Sea Lich

6 or 7 pm- Go to Thursday Playground Meet-up. Where? I have no idea. :smallconfused:

Friday

Noon to 4 pm- Star Wars: All that Glitters is not Gold

6 or 7 pm- Go to Friday Playground Meet-up.

8 pm to 10 pm- Munchkin: Fairy Dust (How could I pass this up? :smalltongue:)

Saturday

2 pm to 4 pm- Beginner Miniature Painting

6 pm to 11 pm- Bounty Head Bebop: Small Fry

wxdruid
2011-05-07, 06:32 PM
I actually signed up for events this year. :smalleek:

The Lair of the Sea-Lich (combat oriented) Thu at 3:49 PM
Beginner Miniature Painting Fri at 10:00 AM

Kendra is coming to both of them with me. I suppose I'll have to start looking for a costume for her as well.

Thes Hunter
2011-05-09, 03:57 PM
On Snacks:

I found last year that bringing V-8, almonds, beef jerky, granola bars, apples and other quasi healthy things gave me more energy and stamina to get through the long days of fun. So this year I am planning more of the same.

Since I will be staying downtown this year, I am also thinking of bringing along a salad, fruit, and anything else I can keep in the fridge and throw together in a tupperware dish before heading out in the morning.

Doing this last year not only helped me save $100's of dollars on meals, but I was able to keep up my vim and vigor.

On True Dungeon:
Doing the Lair of the Sea Lich (combat) at 7:30 on Thursday with my boy's crew of dorks. (Which is why I can't do it with you earlier Zeb. Sorry I didn't reply to you on FB!)

On Nascrag:

Anyone thinking of doing it SHOULD! I couldn't find the times of the qualifying events in the spreadsheet, but I know we traditionally do the Friday night qualifier, which if I remember is 8PM.

Then if you advance, you may lose most of your Saturday. But it's so fun, I've never had an issue with it. :smallbiggrin:

DarthBarbieDoll
2011-05-15, 06:52 PM
I will be attending GenCon for the first time this year with my daughter. I just purchased our 4-day passes and reserved a room at the JW Marriott. If there are any tips on the "not to be missed" events, or other helpful info about the con, I would certainly appreciate it. PMs regarding this are most welcome. :)

My daughter and I will be making the 8 hour drive over early Thursday and will try to get our passes and look around the convention a bit on Thursday afternoon if that is possible. We plan on going to the convention all day Friday and Saturday. Then Sunday will be a travel day home. We must be back in time to pick up the doggie from the pet resort.

I will likely be trooping with the 501st at some point as well and I was thinking about maybe going to the Tracy Hickman Killer Breakfast on Saturday morning as it looked like something to check into. Has anyone gone to this in the past? I appreciate all of the helpful information I have read in this thread about places to eat near the convention center. And even though I mainly just lurk here, I hope I am welcome to meet up with the Playground folks at your scheduled gatherings during the con. :)

KenderWizard
2011-05-16, 03:15 PM
You should definitely come to the Playground meeting, and Killer Breakfast is an awful lot of fun, although you have to show up very early to get a place to play, you can also just watch if you like.

DarthBarbieDoll
2011-05-16, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the nice reply. :smallsmile: I was wondering about the Killer Breakfast... what time do people start showing up for that? And if we want to play, what time would we need to be there? Thanks again for your help.

SMEE
2011-05-16, 05:05 PM
Well, I will be there.
I'm looking at all the bills I will pay in the next three months to make it happen, and I am not 100% happy about them, since they are a tad on the very high side, but in the end, it will be worth it.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-05-17, 10:38 AM
Everybody: Take lots of pictures for me. Playgrounders. Cosplayers (especially of the SW variety).
Lots and lots of pictures for Rabbit.
Because she loves you and is sad she could never ever afford to go.

KenderWizard
2011-05-17, 11:09 AM
Thank you for the nice reply. :smallsmile: I was wondering about the Killer Breakfast... what time do people start showing up for that? And if we want to play, what time would we need to be there? Thanks again for your help.

Well, it starts at 9, and I think people were showing up well before 8 last year. I don't know, though, I was late! :smalltongue: Ask around? Go talk to Tracy at his stand as well during the weekend sometime, he's a really great guy, with a very lovely wife as well. I got to know him when he came to our convention in Ireland!

Jacklu
2011-05-22, 03:50 AM
*deep, non-panicy breaths*

I have purchased a hotel room.

.-.

So. Much. Money.

DX

Well, no turning back now. Full steam ahead and all that.

So, what events should I sign up for?

wxdruid
2011-05-22, 05:21 PM
There are still 2 tickets available for event TDA1125972 The Lair of the Sea-Lich (combat oriented) Thursday 3:49pm.

I have two tickets for it and some others have also bought tickets.

Zeb The Troll
2011-05-22, 09:13 PM
There are still 2 tickets available for event TDA1125972 The Lair of the Sea-Lich (combat oriented) Thursday 3:49pm.

I have two tickets for it and some others have also bought tickets.I think quite a few of the purchased tickets for that time slot/iteration are Playgrounders, if not all of them, so it'd definitely be the one to hit if you can swing it. :smallcool:

Alarra
2011-05-22, 09:16 PM
Pretty sure all 8 slots are playgrounders, well, except the one bought by my brother because I haven't talked him into joining yet, but yeah...

Thes Hunter
2011-05-23, 10:12 AM
I wish you guys had been doing puzzle orientated, or the dragon! *crys* It's too bad that is exactly the same one Matt and I signed up for. :smallannoyed:

Alarra
2011-05-23, 10:47 AM
We would have liked to do puzzle oriented, but there weren't any with more than 2 slots open when we went looking. :smallfrown:

Thes Hunter
2011-05-24, 07:04 PM
Keep me in mind if you do puzzle orientated next year.....

even though it might have to be on Saturday.... don't know if I can get any time off for Gen Con next year. It may be 12 hour days with only weekends off (and 1 week of night service). :smallfrown:

Krade
2011-06-08, 12:39 PM
You can crash at my place.

Crowne Plaza at Historic Union Station
123 West Louisiana Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Lex-Kat to the rescue! You are the awesome. How much do you want want me to pay to cover it? I will not accept nothing nothing. I can afford it.

Sorry for the late reply. I had a more timely response typed out and then I got distracted and then the thread kinda fell be the wayside.

I had such a wierd GenCon related dream last night that I just had to post what I remembered of it. I was running around the convention center having fun like is normal when suddenly I realized that I had forgotten to pick my badge:smalleek:. So I went to pick it up and apparently there had been some kind of ruckus and someone I knew (can't remember exactly who) was involved and I had to go help with that. By the time that was over it was past time for the True Dungeon we were going to do and I was stressing out. Then for some reason a got on my bike and rode away, which was wierd because the bike had a flat (one of the few factual things about the dream since I got a flat yesterday) and I was in Key West somehow and when I stopped riding to take a phone call I saw Ranis from these boards who I haven't seen in years, and hasn't posted since January. And that's about all I remember.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 04:57 PM
Want...go...so...poor! D=

Lex-Kat
2011-06-08, 05:47 PM
*Hugs* Don't worry, someday you'll join us. :smallsmile:

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 06:36 PM
Well, I got to go last year, to be fair. Someday I'd like to get a booth in artist's alley, actually. But $400 is an aweful lot to put down for one table. Plus you don't get to see as much of the rest of GenCon.

Oh! FYI, if you guys can possibly make it to Tracy Hickman's Killer Breakfast it is TOTALLY worth it. So much laughter!

Reverent-One
2011-06-15, 07:59 PM
So, I'm not too far away from Gencon for once (about 5 hours from Indy by car), and am interested in going. I haven't been to an actual gaming con before. I can spare the money and the time from work, but the thing that's kinda holding me back is that fact that I'd be going solo. 4 days of gaming should = fun, but without anyone I really know, relying fully on finding people there I'm more iffy on. So more experiences GiTPers, thoughts? Am I worried over nothing here or what?

spacemonkeymafi
2011-06-16, 12:38 AM
Hey All,

Just wanted to give a shout out that the Tower of Gygax event is back at GenCon for it's 4th year now! This is old school gaming at its finest: played fast and furious with horrible monsters and deadly traps lurking behind every door... Come join us as we play the game that started it all and remember the man who invented an industry. All proceeds go to the Gygax Memorial Fund.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept- we use a quick and dirty version of the original D&D rules (yep we really mean OLD school). It's a race to survive as long as you can through 1st edition-inspired rooms created by industry vets as well as gamers such as yourself. Everything is provided and the events run 24/7 throughout the 'Con.

You can find the events on the GenCon registration page (keyword: Gygax) or check us out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_145288208818624

So stock up on your generic tix and head over to the Marriott to die horribly- for Charity!

questions? PM me

Thanks!

Zeb The Troll
2011-06-16, 12:49 AM
Alarra and I have met so many Playgrounders at GenCon it's ridiculous. Come to the meetup Thursday night (Krade, do we know where this is going to be this year yet?) and just hang around and say hello to folks. It's almost guaranteed you'll find people you click with and will want to hang around with.

When the time comes closer, a fair few of us are usually willing to share cell phone numbers for easy contact and communication. Find out where a group of people is and tag along, if it's not something that needs to be registered for.

A lot of the people that come to the meetups are shy, but that's okay. We have a few that aren't and we tend to do fairly well at getting people involved if they want to be.

Actually, speaking of the meetups, traditionally we have done some variation of a werewolf game at each one. I'm thinking of shaking it up this year, but I'm not sure what to do instead. Thoughts?

Krade
2011-06-16, 04:34 AM
I actually met my first Playgrounders at GenCon 4 years ago and let me say there hasn't been a moment in my life where I haven't been glad that I did.

(Krade, do we know where this is going to be this year yet?)

And I was just down there a few days ago AND I was thinking about it but I got distracted and forgot. Now I probably won't have a day off until Trogland. I am really bad at this.

Alarra
2011-06-16, 01:28 PM
And I was just down there a few days ago AND I was thinking about it but I got distracted and forgot. Now I probably won't have a day off until Trogland. I am really bad at this.

Do we need to hire a different Indy local to do our reconnaissance? :smallconfused:

InaVegt
2011-06-16, 03:36 PM
It was hella fun to meet y'all last year, but I'm afraid I can't quite afford it this year.

wxdruid
2011-06-16, 03:41 PM
So maybe next year?

I'm looking forward to Aug! catlover's birthday will be on Saturday this year and she's looking forward to the spending money she'll be getting.

Reverent-One
2011-06-16, 09:16 PM
Alarra and I have met so many Playgrounders at GenCon it's ridiculous. Come to the meetup Thursday night (Krade, do we know where this is going to be this year yet?) and just hang around and say hello to folks. It's almost guaranteed you'll find people you click with and will want to hang around with.

When the time comes closer, a fair few of us are usually willing to share cell phone numbers for easy contact and communication. Find out where a group of people is and tag along, if it's not something that needs to be registered for.

A lot of the people that come to the meetups are shy, but that's okay. We have a few that aren't and we tend to do fairly well at getting people involved if they want to be.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Guess I'll go signed up before pre-registration ends then.

Reverent-One
2011-06-18, 12:04 AM
Further question for experience gencon-ers. It seems like all the rooms in the housing block are filled, though I am able to find some decent deals within about a 10 minute drive from Gencon. However, they have a waiting list that they apparently do their best to work through before the event. Should I sign myself into the waiting list, or just lock in my spot at a separate hotel?

wxdruid
2011-06-18, 11:57 AM
Can you sign up on the wait list and then cancel later without paying anything? If the wait list is free, then why not? And make a hotel reservation? Is there a definite cost associated with that? And, what would be the cancel by date?

Another choice, is finding a playgrounder that already has a room and is willing to share with you.

Malachi, the Lich King
2011-06-18, 12:53 PM
Well, I got to go last year, to be fair. Someday I'd like to get a booth in artist's alley, actually. But $400 is an aweful lot to put down for one table. Plus you don't get to see as much of the rest of GenCon.

Wow, the tables are up to $400 now? Yeesh, that's not such a great deal anymore. I hope they still at least have it in the main dealer hall and not back in some side area where there's little foot traffic.

It is true that you get very little chance to see anything else at the con but on the flip side, because you're glued to your table you end up getting to know the other artists around you pretty well by the end of each show and the friendships you can develope there are well worth it, IMO.

Alarra
2011-06-18, 12:59 PM
Wow, the tables are up to $400 now? Yeesh, that's not such a great deal anymore. I hope they still at least have it in the main dealer hall and not back in some side area where there's little foot traffic.

It is true that you get very little chance to see anything else at the con but on the flip side, because you're glued to your table you end up getting to know the other artists around you pretty well by the end of each show and the friendships you can develope there are well worth it, IMO.

I'd like to get a table in artist's alley some year too, might try to do that next year. The trick to getting to do anything besides sit at your table is to bring someone else that will help share the 'sitting there' duties. I'd probably make Zeb sit at my table about half the time. :smallsmile:

Krade
2011-06-18, 08:53 PM
Do we need to hire a different Indy local to do our reconnaissance? :smallconfused:

I apparently need to go downtown again on Monday, which is handy because I didn't expect to have the day off. If I forget this time then I grant you permission to bestow whatever punishment you deem fit... that you can get me to agree to:smalltongue:.

turkishproverb
2011-06-18, 10:11 PM
no due to money for me.

Fan
2011-06-18, 10:16 PM
no due to money for me.

Aww, and you were like. High on my list of playgrounders I wanted to see.:smallfrown:

turkishproverb
2011-06-18, 11:33 PM
Aww, and you were like. High on my list of playgrounders I wanted to see.:smallfrown:

Sorry. Maybe another con. :smallfrown:

wxdruid
2011-06-19, 09:44 AM
I apparently need to go downtown again on Monday, which is handy because I didn't expect to have the day off. If I forget this time then I grant you permission to bestow whatever punishment you deem fit... that you can get me to agree to:smalltongue:.We'll eat all your gingerbread men?

Zherog
2011-06-20, 09:48 AM
Further question for experience gencon-ers. It seems like all the rooms in the housing block are filled, though I am able to find some decent deals within about a 10 minute drive from Gencon. However, they have a waiting list that they apparently do their best to work through before the event. Should I sign myself into the waiting list, or just lock in my spot at a separate hotel?

I've used the waiting list in the past. There've been a few years where the site crashed during housing registration, and my wife and I ended up at a hotel not on a skywalk. We did exactly what you're saying - made a reservation at a hotel and put ourselves on the waiting list. When our spot on the waiting list came up, we grabbed that room and canceled the existing reservation. So yes, the waiting list does work.

The key for you is going to find out what the cancellation terms are at the hotel you book. We were able to get one that had no cancellation fee as long as you canceled more than 72 hours prior to scheduled check-in date. But each hotel has their own rules, so verify what they have. If you can cancel without paying a fee, my opinion would be to book the room and jump on the waiting list.

Alarra
2011-06-20, 10:47 AM
Also, check out the official gencon forums, as people will try to give up rooms that they find they can't use.

Pink
2011-06-20, 12:04 PM
Hmmm, I should totally get around to signing up for some events before they all fill up. I don't suppose that Zeb or Alarra know if they're entering into Nascrag of not? *sad puppy eyes*.

wxdruid
2011-06-20, 12:20 PM
I will be running another 3.5ed D&D game for anyone interested. This year we can go back to my hotel room and play, there will be plenty of room (unlike last year). Just let me know if you're interested and I can send you the char creation rules.

Zherog
2011-06-20, 12:37 PM
I would potentially be interested, but my evening schedule is quickly filling up with obligations. When do you think the game would run? And how long?

wxdruid
2011-06-20, 12:41 PM
The game usually lasts for one evening and can be done whenever we want. I don't have a set time, but it usually occurs after an evening meetup and everyone agrees. I allow all sorts of craziness and weirdness and I'm out to have fun. :smallamused:

Krade
2011-06-20, 09:31 PM
I apparently need to go downtown again on Monday, which is handy because I didn't expect to have the day off. If I forget this time then I grant you permission to bestow whatever punishment you deem fit... that you can get me to agree to:smalltongue:.

So... funny story: Turns out helping someone with thier astronomy work can quite unexpectedly turn into a 9 hour thing. Who knew?

Incidently, I did not get a chance to check things out. However, I didn't forget, I just didn't have the time I expected, thus I can not be punished:smalltongue:.