View Full Version : Prestige classes for the roguebuckler

Necro_EX
2011-03-12, 12:44 AM
My friend is playing a rogue/swash in our Forgotten Realms campaign, and his character's just reached level 7. I was looking through some books a bit back and saw a prc that I thought would be great for his character, but I cannot remember any of the details (what book or issue of Dragon it was in, the name, anything) other than that it would have been great for a rogue/swash sort of character.

So, anyone know of a prc that would work well for a pistol and cutlass wielding roguebuckler? It may have even been one from the homebrew section here, but the memory escapes me.

gorfnab
2011-03-12, 12:47 AM
Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack might work.

Necro_EX
2011-03-12, 01:14 AM
To clarify, he's a chaotic good character with a bit of a Robin Hood complex, and he's yet to step foot on a ship, so that definitely doesn't fit him. The features are pretty nice, though.
I'll have to make use of that prc at some point.

Thanks, anyway.

SilverLeaf167
2011-03-12, 01:22 AM
Scarlet Corsair only has two prerequisites and one class feature that have anything to do with piracy. The requirement of being a "fearsome pirate" can easily be changed to "fearsome/famous thief", Profession (sailor) can be changed to Sleight of Hand etc. or some other Profession, and Sailor's Step could be changed to work when in natural brushes etc.

If the character is Intimidate-y, that should work pretty well. I'll tell you if I find anything else.

EDIT: Nightsong Enforcer/Infiltrator from CAdv, Streetfighter from CAdv, Dervish from CWar (lots of investment in prerequisites), Invisible Blade from CWar

Fineous Orlon
2011-03-12, 02:11 AM
My friend is playing a rogue/swash in our Forgotten Realms campaign, and his character's just reached level 7. I was looking through some books a bit back and saw a prc that I thought would be great for his character, but I cannot remember any of the details (what book or issue of Dragon it was in, the name, anything) other than that it would have been great for a rogue/swash sort of character.

So, anyone know of a prc that would work well for a pistol and cutlass wielding roguebuckler? It may have even been one from the homebrew section here, but the memory escapes me.

No matter what Prestige Class your friend ends up taking, your friend should consider the Daring Outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel, with LOTS of Swash levels for the BAB. It's almost like 1 feat makes a basic prestige class all by itself.

Leon
2011-03-12, 09:43 AM
Dread Pirate from Complete Adventure?

Miscast_Mage
2011-03-12, 09:47 AM
No matter what Prestige Class your friend ends up taking, your friend should consider the Daring Outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel, with LOTS of Swash levels for the BAB. It's almost like 1 feat makes a basic prestige class all by itself.

This. I don't really see it as worth it to PrC out if you've got Daring Outlaw.

only1doug
2011-03-12, 09:53 AM

This.

A daring outlaw swashbuckler/rogue doesn't need any prestigeclass to make them better.

The choice becomes do you go rogue for skillpoints or swash for BAB.

true_shinken
2011-03-12, 10:43 AM
The choice becomes do you go rogue for skillpoints or swash for BAB.

Swash also gets a few class features that become decent if you're getting sneak attack as well. I love Acrobatic Charge myself. If you can get your DM to allow Shield of Blades to stand in for Dodge, even better. And grab Arcane Stunt ASAP... if you can get a DM to allow it to count as grace for requirements, that is.

only1doug
2011-03-12, 10:50 AM
Swash also gets a few class features that become decent if you're getting sneak attack as well. I love Acrobatic Charge myself. If you can get your DM to allow Shield of Blades to stand in for Dodge, even better. And grab Arcane Stunt ASAP.

And rogues have some interesting Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm#specialAbilities) themselves.

I'd probably go swash but rogue is still worth considering for those who want to.

true_shinken
2011-03-12, 10:55 AM
And rogues have some interesting Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm#specialAbilities) themselves.

I'd probably go swash but rogue is still worth considering for those who want to.

The real problem about Rogue special abilities in a Daring Outlaw build is requiring 10 levels of Rogue. At that point, the benefit you get from Daring Outlaw is minimal.

Necro_EX
2011-03-12, 11:39 AM
Thanks, everyone. Looks like he's going to go with daring outlaw next time he gets a feat, taking his levels in swash.

He hasn't really been doing many rogue-y things aside from sneak attacking, anyway.

Fax Celestis
2011-03-12, 12:32 PM
See if your DM will let the swashbuckler's Arcane Stunt alternate class feature from Complete Mage work with Daring Outlaw too. I find it to be much better (and more interesting) than Grace.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-12, 01:25 PM
Just looked at swashbuckler, a rogue 1/swash 19

Is it just me or is it equal to a 20 awash with full sneak and a few extraskill points?

yugi24862
2011-03-12, 01:28 PM
You need three levels of rogue to take it, but yes its a swashbukler with sneak attack, thats the base of it.

FMArthur
2011-03-12, 01:39 PM
Some of the overpowered 'class combination' feats from Complete Scoundrel are basically stealth fixes to incredibly underpowered classes, and still don't do enough to actually save them. Swashbuckler is a terrible class, to an embarrassingly huge degree. This way doesn't even outclass the straight Rogue, because Rogues gain lots of other things by staying in-class. They basically sacrifice lots of skill points, all their non-SA class features and a feat for full BAB and some almost ignorable movement skill benefits. In plainness a Daring Outlaw is still only slightly more interesting than the Sneak Attack Thug Fighter, an utterly barren class with 4+Int skill points, full BAB and Sneak Attack.

Boci
2011-03-12, 02:55 PM
Some of the overpowered 'class combination' feats from Complete Scoundrel are basically stealth fixes to incredibly underpowered classes, and still don't do enough to actually save them. Swashbuckler is a terrible class, to an embarrassingly huge degree. This way doesn't even outclass the straight Rogue, because Rogues gain lots of other things by staying in-class. They basically sacrifice lots of skill points, all their non-SA class features and a feat for full BAB and some almost ignorable movement skill benefits. In plainness a Daring Outlaw is still only slightly more interesting than the Sneak Attack Thug Fighter, an utterly barren class with 4+Int skill points, full BAB and Sneak Attack.

That's why the preferred method is swashbuckler 8 / swordsage 1, although that annoying line about stance text block means you might need to delay darring outlaw until level 12.