PDA

View Full Version : Special mount for Goliath pally

danzibr
2011-03-12, 11:43 AM
Would a Goliath be able to ride a large or huge mount just fine? I seem to remember the mount has to be one size category larger than the rider. In any case, say you have a Half-Ogre or something. What is a standard pally mount for a large creature? I tried googling this and didn't find anything.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-12, 11:51 AM
I don't know, I don't think there is one, but damn well hope your DM doesn't put you in any dungeon crawls. A mounted medium paladin sucks enough in tight spaces.

Admiral Squish
2011-03-12, 11:57 AM
RoS introduces the dire eagle, which is Large sized, and says that goliaths often use them as flying mounts. So, standard goliath pally would probably just be a big horse. Or maybe a light warhorse refluffed as a battle-trained elk.

EDIT: No, no wait, I've got better: Goliath War-Moose Calvalry.

hamishspence
2011-03-12, 12:03 PM
Megaloceros in Frostburn might do (imagine a creature slightly bigger than a moose, but sleeker, more like a conventional deer, and with even larger antlers)

There's even a paladin-friendly prestige class in that book (Knight of the Iron Glacier) that gets a war megaloceros as a mount- and can have it be their paladin mount if they have paladin levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaloceros_giganteus

Fax Celestis
2011-03-12, 12:04 PM
I prefer dire rhinoceros from I think the Fiend Folio.

Admiral Squish
2011-03-12, 12:45 PM
Well, the moose suggeston was for traditional campaigns. It fits nicely with their mountain homeland. A rhino is not going to be very good about the whole mountain thing. However In my campaign setting, they live on the plains and ride dinosaurs.

Urpriest
2011-03-12, 04:06 PM
I believe there are pally mounts for Large creatures in the DMG, near the familiars for Large creatures. That may be wrong however.

In any case, a mount only has to be at least one size larger than you. A Goliath is still medium, not large, so they can ride anything large and up.

Cartigan
2011-03-12, 04:27 PM
Goliaths are medium...

Not that everything isn't made better by riding huge creatures

Kris Strife
2011-03-12, 05:41 PM
Another Goliath paladin, who's riding another Goliath Paladin, etc, etc. The one at the bottom takes Charging smite, obviously. :smalltongue: