PDA

View Full Version : If a Construct took Improved Unarmed Strike, would his attack die go down?

Sims
2011-03-12, 01:12 PM
I already know construct without Int can't have feats. But for the ones that do, if it were say, large and its slams did 2d10. If he took Improved unarmed strike (as a means to access other feats such as improved grapple) would the attacking dice go down? (To 1d3?)

Or would it just make it so he could choose to make his slams non-lethal?

Khatoblepas
2011-03-12, 01:17 PM
He would be able to perform an additional unarmed strike that was based on his size (1d4 for large) which he would get iterative attacks with.

His slams would remain the same, but if he used them in the same full attack as his unarmed strike, they would take a -5 penalty to hit (from full BAB).

prufock
2011-03-12, 01:19 PM
Improved Unarmed Strike [General]

Benefit
You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. However, you still get an attack of opportunity against any opponent who makes an unarmed attack on you.

In addition, your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option.

Normal
Without this feat, you are considered unarmed when attacking with an unarmed strike, and you can deal only nonlethal damage with such an attack.

Special
A monk automatically gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level. She need not select it.

A fighter may select Improved Unarmed Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I see nothing about a change in damage. What made you think it would change?

Besides, Slam is a natural attack, not an unarmed strike. You already don't provoke attacks of opportunity with them, and the feat wouldn't affect your ability to do lethal vs nonlethal damage.

TheManlyFlower
2011-03-12, 01:22 PM
If you are looking to improve your monsters damage, you could take Improved Natural Attack (Slam). It's found in the Monster Manual, as well as the SRD under monster feats. If i'm not mistaken a 2d10 slam would turn into a 4d8. Someone may need to correct me on that but i'm like.. 60% sure it's correct :smallbiggrin:

Okay, having re-read your original post i'm a bit off. A construct wouldnt be able to get improved unarmed strike. It needs an unarmed strike to begin with in order to get improved. A natural attack doesn't count as an unarmed strike (also doesn't provoke AoO's to begin with). In the end you may just want to run it by your DM (or get a group ruling from your players or make an "I'm the DM and this is how it works" call.) to see if you can just skip the prerequesite for the feat. You could also just make the critter bigger through creature advancement and take feats like awesome blow and snatch which can be fun.

Urpriest
2011-03-12, 01:38 PM
To echo what's been said above, remember D&D is a system with rules. You shouldn't assume that two things are the same unless some rule tells you they are. Slams and unarmed strikes both deal bludgeoning damage and involve hitting people with parts of your body. That doesn't make them the same thing.

MeeposFire
2011-03-12, 02:31 PM
If you are looking to improve your monsters damage, you could take Improved Natural Attack (Slam). It's found in the Monster Manual, as well as the SRD under monster feats. If i'm not mistaken a 2d10 slam would turn into a 4d8. Someone may need to correct me on that but i'm like.. 60% sure it's correct :smallbiggrin:

Okay, having re-read your original post i'm a bit off. A construct wouldnt be able to get improved unarmed strike. It needs an unarmed strike to begin with in order to get improved. A natural attack doesn't count as an unarmed strike (also doesn't provoke AoO's to begin with). In the end you may just want to run it by your DM (or get a group ruling from your players or make an "I'm the DM and this is how it works" call.) to see if you can just skip the prerequesite for the feat. You could also just make the critter bigger through creature advancement and take feats like awesome blow and snatch which can be fun.

Actually constructs can make unarmed strikes, it is just assumed they wont since their slams are so much better and they did not get the improved unarmed strike feat. Warforged for example are great monks.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-12, 02:58 PM

Every creature has an unarmed strike.

Every creature. Including ones that can't move.