PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraftian-esque Modules [3.5/PF]

Tanuki Tales
2011-03-12, 02:03 PM
I was looking to run a Lovecraftian adventure with the group I'm putting together; something epic and engaging that would test their minds, hearts and souls and would have them really hooked. We'll be having one totally new to the game player so I also wanted their introductory game to be memorable.

So far all I can think of is to take Age of Worms and edit it to fit the ideas I had more closely.

The setting I'm creating is a Steampunk/Magitech punk era (on par if not a little more than Eberron) with multiple races (none of the standard base races) living together in a multiethnic democratic republic.

Any suggestions?

Otherworld Odd
2011-03-12, 02:37 PM
Crucible of Chaos.

It's a module but it's *extremely* Lovecraft.

TechnOkami
2011-03-12, 02:46 PM
Campaign: DragonMech, where the main enemies are lunar abberation dragons you can easily refluff into Lovecraftian monstrosities.

Make the place an expansion of planescape with the hub city being sigil.

As for the new guy, suggest that he play a Lovecraftian Monstrosity. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536)

Savannah
2011-03-12, 02:47 PM
The Last Breaths of Ashenport is a level 6 module that is available for download on the WotC site (or at least it was when I got it about a year ago; I'd assume it's still up there, but I can't remember exactly what I did to get to it...) which is very Lovecraftian. As far as I know, it's not part of a series, but you might be able to tie it in with other modules on your own. I've never run it, so I can't vouch for it, but it is both Lovecraftian and free.

Silus
2011-03-12, 05:14 PM
And Madness Followed from Dungeon Magazine 134.

It's got the King in Yellow for Pete's sake.

subject42
2011-03-12, 07:52 PM
The Last Breaths of Ashenport is a level 6 module that is available for download on the WotC site (or at least it was when I got it about a year ago

We played that module once. It ended with every party member dead or dying and the sorcerer (me) igniting his entire necklace of fireballs to kill everyone with mercy before the fish men could drag them into their watery depths.

I think that sums up Lovecraftian.

Seatbelt
2011-03-12, 08:19 PM
Anyone know where I can find the 3.5 version of any of those?

Savannah
2011-03-12, 09:22 PM
Err...I think most, if not all, listed so far have been 3.5. Last Breath of Ashenport is somewhere on the WotC site, under modules for 3.5 or some similar grouping.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-12, 09:32 PM
There's one called The Speaker in Dreams, which sounds awfully lovecraftian, couldn't tell you if it is though.

Thurbane
2011-03-13, 01:07 AM
If there was ever a 3.5 update for the 2E Gates of Firestorm Peak, I highly recommend it.

Return to Temple of the Frog (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a) is bizarre, but I'm not sure about Lovecraftian...

Doc Roc
2011-03-13, 01:11 AM
I actually have one just finished for legend... It'll need some adaptation for cruder skill systems, but it'll work. Let me know)

Seatbelt
2011-03-13, 02:34 AM
Err...I think most, if not all, listed so far have been 3.5. Last Breath of Ashenport is somewhere on the WotC site, under modules for 3.5 or some similar grouping.

Err...I looked here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1

and I didn't see it. Google search only returns the 4th edition version.

Savannah
2011-03-13, 03:29 AM
....They seem to have removed a number of modules :smallannoyed:

FelixG
2011-03-13, 05:20 AM
....They seem to have removed a number of modules :smallannoyed:

they removed a number of things and forced them into their insider junk, like the epic destiny progressions for 3.5 article.

You could always look to see if they are available via a web cache to flip WoTC the middle finger for being idiots. :smallbiggrin:

Sadly I couldnt find that epic destiny article that way though :smallfrown:

Seatbelt
2011-03-13, 11:50 AM
I looked through various sources but I couldn't find it. I have the 4.0 module and I've read Shadow over Innsmouth and played the Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the World. I'm familiar enough with various ways to tell the tale. I just have to restat the encounters to 3.5. Not a huge deal. But I'm lazy. So I was hoping to find the original. :P