PDA

View Full Version : Monsters of the Week: Making Good Ones

Leliel
2011-03-12, 03:40 PM
Well, we all know the concept: Random beasts, sometimes with a common origin, that have unique powers and exist purely to be defeated in an interesting way.

Admit it. We all do it.

So, for one of my games, I thought why not embrace the concept? Have a character that specializes in the creation of MOTW, knows that's what he's good and has grown quite skilled at making the foolish heroes get migraines trying to figure out how to defeat his creations?

Of course, for him to be an effective villain, he needs creativity and tact, so...

How would you create monsters of the week that actually manage to interest and challenge the players?

Uhtred
2011-03-12, 03:43 PM
Watch a season of Power Rangers, the new ones, not old school, where they're REEEEEALLY reaching for monsters. The one in last week's episode had stink powers, which could be fun to translate. The one before that was immune (mostly) to melee attacks and had to be defeated by a cannon.

Hopefully your players will be smarter than the Rangers, who insist on starting every fight unarmed and unarmored.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2011-03-12, 03:48 PM
We've have used several methods to make the Monster of the week a viable alternative to ongoing villians.

1) If you have players that are veterans of the game, take a monster out of one of the older books that they would remember (that have not been reprinted) and update it to the game system you are playing. We did that one week with a set of Cave Fishers (that lived in cave fissures *groan*) and those ended up being some of the more fun beasties we fought. No fun that it killed my character (a goliath/half-minotaur; really) but it did make for a good night.

2. Dont be afraid to experiment with alternate monster features. This one requires more planning and knowledge of your player's abilities. If your campaign allows it; throw the Phrenic Psionic template on a monster, or give the monster some light Psionic ability. A little Psionics goes a long way. For Bo9S enabled games: If the creature has fighter levels, replace them with Warblade or Swordsage levels, and give them some good-but-not-overpowered maneuvers and stance combinations.

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-12, 03:49 PM
Hopefully your players will be smarter than the Rangers, who insist on starting every fight unarmed and unarmored.While I agree that it was a little silly, it's somewhat-justified... see, in MMPR, it was protocol. You don't escalate a fight.

stabbitty death
2011-03-12, 08:51 PM
While I agree that it was a little silly, it's somewhat-justified... see, in MMPR, it was protocol. You don't escalate a fight.

actually that was omly stated in the origional, all the others are just to stupid to realize that it would go alot faster if they just stomped it with their robot.

Kilgorath
2011-03-12, 09:01 PM
A good way to make an interesting monster is with suitable terrain. A fight turns a lot more dangerous if you're suddenly dragged underwater by said beastie for example.

One of the most interesting battles I fought was against a giant evil animated teddybear. The young girl that it seemed to be terrorizing was unwittingly powering it with her fear. It was extremely resilient but when she was knocked out or killed it became weaker, or stopped completely.

Zaydos
2011-03-12, 10:35 PM
1) unique mechanics. I gave a giant spider sentience, mind blast, and a swift action healing ability (usable twice) which was enough to make the players really like it. Another time it was a creature which changed battle modes each round, couldn't be directly confronted (they had to hold it off while a ritual to banish it was performed) and used summons that they had to kill in 1 round to keep them from stacking up.

2) use monsters familiar to the players but not from the current game/edition.

3) Strategic terrain.

4) Dangerous enough to force strategy, and tactical thoughts; possibly as a puzzle boss.