PDA

View Full Version : would this work

Kahlendrrari
2011-03-12, 07:10 PM
My DM let me borrow his Epic Level HB for a little while, and while thumbing through it, I noticed the Demilich. According to the description, the book states that "A demilich often appears as a single skull ....... Other demiliches might appear as gem-encrusted bones of another type, such as a skeletal hand or spine." so with that, what do you think of building a "colony" of demiliches, that looks like a gem encrusted skeleton, and having them act in concert. (generally staying in the skeleton shape, and stuff like that) I would think that you could get 8 demiliches to a skeleton, 1 head, 1 spine, 1 rib cage, 2 arms, 1 pelvis, 2 legs. using various spellcasters I think you could get a pretty difficult BBEG for some PCs.

nyarlathotep
2011-03-12, 07:16 PM
Yes this would definitely possible and is in fact a pre-existing idea called a fusion demilich; though the original used one demi-lich for each of the few hundred bones in the human body.

All you'd have to do is give some reason for these demi-liches to work together.

Amnestic
2011-03-12, 07:17 PM
It's been brought up before: The idea of a skeleton colony of ~206 demiliches. It would work, and it is awesome.

flabort
2011-03-12, 07:21 PM
Remember each demilich is ECL 21+. However, I'd think it would work.
I'd use 12, instead, because I'd not count the arms/hands as one, and the same goes for legs/feet.
The idea that two demilichs would work in concert, though, is one quite scary already! And the idea of three together is already more than I can cognitively handle.
I seriously doubt that you could even find 8 or more demilichs in your campain world, to. I'm a demilich, and haven't found many others yet! (Doubt me? I'm a fr***ng hand!) Sure, I had help achieving the status, but...

If you could find enough demilichs to make such a colony, they'd be so decked out with bling, too, that the shear awesome would scare so many people away, before they found out that the CR is somewhere between 168 and 360.
But if you could find someone who could survive such an encounter, GO FOR IT!

edit: double swordsage'd

Volthawk
2011-03-12, 07:22 PM
Man, if every single one summoned stuff (using the lower list 1d4+1 ones, hell, intensified, for best effect), that would bring out a damn horde (using the 1d4+1 list, all intensified, with 206 demiliches, that's 2060 monsters. Now, space might be an issue). Or every single one using a blasting spell...ouch.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-12, 07:42 PM
Man, if every single one summoned stuff (using the lower list 1d4+1 ones, hell, intensified, for best effect), that would bring out a damn horde (using the 1d4+1 list, all intensified, with 206 demiliches, that's 2060 monsters. Now, space might be an issue). Or every single one using a blasting spell...ouch.

Hence the Epic Level Handbook. You want a good end to 1-20+ Campaign? Demilich colony, half summoners, half blasters. LASERS AND FIENDISH KITTENS FOR GREAT JUSTICE AND VICTORY.

Flickerdart
2011-03-12, 07:47 PM
Do note that normally, there would be nothing connecting them - they'd need some way to stay together. Skeletons, I presume, are kept together by the same power that animates them, but the liches have no such thing going for them.

Volthawk
2011-03-12, 07:50 PM
Do note that normally, there would be nothing connecting them - they'd need some way to stay together. Skeletons, I presume, are kept together by the same power that animates them, but the liches have no such thing going for them.

I guess just telepathy or Mindlink/telepathic bond to coordinate movement. I mean, they're smart enough (lich+demilich gives +12 to all mental stats, so even the cha-based guys can have some good intelligence).

boomwolf
2011-03-12, 09:34 PM
Won't it be easier to have one (or two) demiliches as some bones, and the rest is a normal skeleton as their cover?

Used that tactic before. worked great.

true_shinken
2011-03-12, 09:50 PM
Won't it be easier to have one (or two) demiliches as some bones, and the rest is a normal skeleton as their cover?

Used that tactic before. worked great.

I agree. Some kind of fortfied skeleton with a demilich for hand and another for an arm or something like that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-03-12, 09:59 PM
I made one of these as the BBEG for the one and only epic game I ever ran. It went over quite well, and the PCs went through over a dozen TPKs before they managed to take it down. I've posted the combat summary around here a few times before; I can repost it if you'd like.

flabort
2011-03-12, 10:06 PM
Better yet:
Have an extra demilich (or two(. Do not have any sort of jawbone on the structure.
The extra demilich(s) is/are (a) hands, stuff them in the skull demilich, so that the fingers dangle out.
Mindflayer MultiLich! :smalltongue:

Kahlendrrari
2011-03-13, 02:46 AM
they'd be so decked out with bling, too, that the shear awesome would scare so many people away,

if I read the pylactory transferance thing right, they could all just use the same stuff and not have to worry about hiding the HUGE pile of loot. just set all the phylactories in a hole or something and bury them with the magic items