PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a warlock invocations

Boci
2011-03-13, 04:07 AM
Can you make a spellcraft check (or some other roll) to identify which invocation a warlock used? Normally it doesn't matter since it will just be something like thit:

Wizard: He just used
Warblade: Gee, thanks. The whole, my skin is melting really didn't give it away.

But for some its quite relevant, like flee the scene, which becomes a lot less useful is enemies can reliable identify what trick you are trying to pull.

FelixG
2011-03-13, 05:29 AM
IIRC there is a place in the book where it identifies what level spell equivalent the invocations are, you could use that to set the spellcraft DC to identify the invocation.

Amnestic
2011-03-13, 12:17 PM
FelixG is correct. When you look up the descriptions for the Invocations (eg. 132-136, ComArc), you can find the equivalent spell levels for invocations and use those for your spellcraft DC checks.

Boci
2011-03-13, 05:11 PM
But can you use spellcraft to identify the invocations? I don't want my warlock player to feel I am unfairly nerfing his escape plan.

Diarmuid
2011-03-13, 05:17 PM
I dont see why you would be able to identify the invocations with Spellcraft. The Warlock isnt using any components. The verbal, somatic, and/or material components are how I assume the spellcraft skill identifies what's being cast.

Say a creature has Invisibility and Teleport as Spell-Like Abilities. He disappears, how would you have any idea which one he used?

Amnestic
2011-03-13, 05:20 PM
But can you use spellcraft to identify the invocations? I don't want my warlock player to feel I am unfairly nerfing his escape plan.

I don't think (and I might be wrong) it's ever explicitly spelled out anywhere. I would say so though. You could always add a circumstance bonus to the DC because Warlock invocations are rarer than spells (or some other reason) if you feel the DC is too low. S'up to you.

Edit: Don't Invocations have Somatic components? :smallconfused:

Cog
2011-03-13, 07:00 PM
Edit: Don't Invocations have Somatic components? :smallconfused:
They do. "Simple" ones, though, which might make a difference.

Also, there's a separate (5 points higher) check to determine a spell by its effects. That might be relevant for something like Flee the Scene's afterimage.

Boci
2011-03-14, 06:40 AM
Okay, so does the standard DC for a spell of the same the level + 5 for the invocations being obscure + 2 for only simple sonomatic components sound fair?

FelixG
2011-03-14, 08:46 AM
so 15+5+2+spell Level?

That seems pretty good