PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the Players

drawingfreak
2011-03-13, 10:32 AM
I've got two of my players right where I want them.

One went to the Black Magic Market and now owes a yet to be determined favor. Another stole some narcotics from a drug dealer and now owns a mysterious vial of red glowing liquid.

My mind just goes off whenever I think of how I can mess with them that I can't think straight. What should I do here? What is this liquid? The possibilities are endless!

How have you played with your players? Or, how have you been played?

Choco
2011-03-13, 10:42 AM
The one that owes the favor has to track down and brutally murder the person who stole a mysterious vial of red glowing liquid from a drug dealer and recover the merchandise. No it is not enough to just recover the merchandise, these guys want blood :smallamused:

veven
2011-03-13, 12:59 PM
The one that owes the favor has to track down and brutally murder the person who stole a mysterious vial of red glowing liquid from a drug dealer and recover the merchandise. No it is not enough to just recover the merchandise, these guys want blood :smallamused:

For the love of Kord, this!

Dragero
2011-03-13, 01:07 PM

And they want his head, to be sure of the kill.

The red liquid should be something either cursed or not worth very much, like a slightly strong brew, or something that lowers a stat by one or two if you drink it.

grimbold
2011-03-13, 01:39 PM
how close is the relationship between these two players? In my party we are so dysfunctional that i would willingily kill pretty much anybody else if asked

Volos
2011-03-13, 01:44 PM
Last time my players got ahold of unnamed drugs, it turned out to be an extract from fiends that would slowly turn the user into a fiend. Outwardly it appeared to be a potion of Stat X +4, with only minor side effects such as penalty to hide checks or penalty to charisma checks for a number of hours afterwards. The player used magic and money to make / obtain more until he started shifting in alignment, got a split persona, and started attempting to kill/convert other party members. It took months of roleplay before anyone realized what was going on. I'd have his character black out due to overdose or some such while seperated from the rest of the party. The party would be attacked by some fiend and his minons. They'd go looking for the missing character to help, but they didn't know where he was. The minons would return when he was awake, not knowing who he really was. In the end my players were on the verge of killing me, but they had to admit I did a great job and they ended up loving me for it.

drawingfreak
2011-03-14, 01:19 AM
how close is the relationship between these two players? In my party we are so dysfunctional that i would willingily kill pretty much anybody else if asked

There are parties that are functional!?

Silus
2011-03-14, 02:18 AM
I suppose this counts as playing with the players....

So, running my horror game (Like a blend of 3.5, Pathfinder and CoC). They find the thing making portals on Carceri (which was their mission objective) in the basement of this qusi-sentiant Unfair Evil house (Think the hotel room from 1408 in house form). So they manage to escape through the portal before the thing blows up via self-destruct. After jumping around worlds (The Wheel of Time world and Azeroth), they get back home. Cue about three months of rest, relaxation on time with the wife and kids.

Then, they get called back into their organization's lobby for a new mission. They all arrive, and there is construction going on in the lobby. They meet with their superior, are about to get down to business, when everyone stops moving and just stares at them all Deer-In-The-Headlights style.

And then they start screaming.

The people begin ripping the lobby apart and at the same time melting into, well, nothingness. The lobby starts shrinking, and before they know it, they're back in the entrance hall of the house on Carceri. Yup, they were there the whole time. Best part was when the guy who's character had a wife and kid asked me who or what his character had been sleeping with. I just grinned and moved on with the story.