PDA

View Full Version : Other Paladin Order?

t209
2011-03-13, 10:56 AM
Is there any paladin group beside Sapphire Guards? Elan work for a paladin Sir Francois as a novice back in the north which means there are paladins beside the one from azure city. Will they work with Sapphire Guard (what's left of it) locate and defend the northern gate?

Temassasin
2011-03-13, 10:59 AM
in most settings there are so i think it's close to a given as for helping the SG i'm not sure

HappyBlanket
2011-03-13, 11:17 AM
I'm sure they'd help. If they knew about it.

NerfTW
2011-03-13, 11:57 AM
Yes, there are non Sapphire guard paladins. We meet two in Origin, actually.

The Sapphire guard is a secret organization, not the de facto way to do paladins in the Stick-verse. Even if there were other large, organized groups of paladins, I doubt they'd be any more or less likely to help than any of the other large groups of good aligned people. Keep in mind the gates are a secret. They could probably get all the support they would ever need if they told people what they were, but then every crackpot out there would be gunning for one.

t209
2011-03-13, 12:34 PM
Yes, there are non Sapphire guard paladins. We meet two in Origin, actually.

The Sapphire guard is a secret organization, not the de facto way to do paladins in the Stick-verse. Even if there were other large, organized groups of paladins, I doubt they'd be any more or less likely to help than any of the other large groups of good aligned people. Keep in mind the gates are a secret. They could probably get all the support they would ever need if they told people what they were, but then every crackpot out there would be gunning for one.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0287.html
How do you explain about the coupon if they are secret organization.

Earl William
2011-03-13, 12:37 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0287.html
How do you explain about the coupon if they are secret organization.

Are you illiterate, sarcastic or just a troll?

Dalek-K
2011-03-13, 12:42 PM
I vote troll ^ ^

Fire stops the troll's regeneration powers right? :smallamused:

But I'm pretty sure there would be... Paladin is a well known class it seems like (err job?) also :durkon: knew about paladins.

Narren
2011-03-13, 12:51 PM
There are definitely other paladins out there (Xykon was getting them on TeeVo) but that doesn't necessarily mean they formed an order. Some settings portray them as knights-errant, wandering around and fighting evil and whatnot.

t209
2011-03-13, 01:55 PM
Are you illiterate, sarcastic or just a troll?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be the description from the above. I didn't know that they have problems with coupon because people don't know that they exist.

Tass
2011-03-14, 05:43 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be the description from the above. I didn't know that they have problems with coupon because people don't know that they exist.

...so, illiterate then?

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-14, 05:59 AM
We've seen a Dwarf Paladin as well. And wasn't there a female human paladin who wanted to do the wet tishirt contest?

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 06:06 AM
There are. There are "paladins" who do not have to be "Sapphire Guard" - if it was that case, they'd rather be a PrC like "Guardian of the Sapphire".

The reason others have not shown up in detail is quite simple, I think: being a paladin and a paladin order has been extensively explored in the story. There's simply no point in doing it again with a different order - and we already have enough side-NPC-paladins (who happen all to be SG) so in this story is nothing a non-SG-paladin could explore that a SG-paladin can.

LtNOWIS
2011-03-14, 06:54 AM
We've seen a Dwarf Paladin as well. And wasn't there a female human paladin who wanted to do the wet tishirt contest?
She wasn't stated to be a paladin. I assumed she was just another fighter or something. (Link (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html))

The dwarf and human paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html) are clearly not members of the Sapphire Guard, however.

Plot-wise, there isn't really a role for non-Sapphire Guard paladins, which is why they don't show up too much.

EmperorSarda
2011-03-14, 09:11 AM
Didn't Elan serve a paladin before joining Roy?

NerfTW
2011-03-14, 10:30 AM

So you saw the bit about the discount coupon, but not the entire sentence, which was

Most people who live here don't even know we exist. (which incidentally, makes it awfully difficult to redeem these Sapphire Guard Discount coupons my uncle keeps giving us.

Seriously, how did you miss that? Or the fact that they've said they're a secret organization multiple times? :smallconfused:

M.A.D
2011-03-14, 03:04 PM
Since paladin is a class like any others, of course there will be other PCs who'd play it. However, whether there's another bunch of paladins who function as a group is probably not important to the plot point and the possibility will not be explored. However, it is safe to assume that bunches of people whose stats is directly tied to their sense of justice and whose spells are given by gods tends to work together.

So to answer your question, yes, it is very likely that there are other orders of paladins, and no, for reasons stated by others.

...so, illiterate then?

He's just proved that he could have read it, but didn't.

Fire stops the troll's regeneration powers right? :smallamused:

Then why are trolls always well-fed in flame wars?

Temassasin
2011-03-14, 03:51 PM
Then why are trolls always well-fed in flame wars?
because they usually hide/have a pendent hell fire +1000 which makes you immune to flame and allows you to use hundreds of fires per day though at a
-100 penalty to flame attacks on account of them being nonsense, except against trolls of other factions or on critical hits.

veti
2011-03-14, 04:37 PM
If anything, the Sapphire Guard paladins seem to be not the standard D&D version.

We know that Miko and O-Chul, at least, both had levels in other classes before they became paladins. We know their number includes at least some (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0447.html) primary casters. We know they're all members of a special, secret order that would leave little time for basic freelance questing of the sort we see in OtOoPCs.

It's possible that "Paladin of the Sapphire Guard" is a prestige class, that happens to share a lot of characteristics with standard "Paladin", but also has its own special rules.

Herald Alberich
2011-03-14, 06:17 PM
I'm still holding out hope that (SoD) Right-Eye's daughter, raised by humans, grew up to be a paladin, carrying on his dream of a peaceful human-goblin village somewhere. In a further pipe dream, I hope she kills Belkar with a Smite Evil, if he doesn't die in the arena soon. Dunno if she'd have a whole order of goblin paladins; that seems just a bit too far-fetched. But good-aligned goblin and human allies, sure.

If anything, the Sapphire Guard paladins seem to be not the standard D&D version.

We know that Miko and O-Chul, at least, both had levels in other classes before they became paladins. We know their number includes at least some (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0447.html) primary casters. We know they're all members of a special, secret order that would leave little time for basic freelance questing of the sort we see in OtOoPCs.

It's possible that "Paladin of the Sapphire Guard" is a prestige class, that happens to share a lot of characteristics with standard "Paladin", but also has its own special rules.

Hmm, interesting idea. I notice, though, that none of the spellcasters rose as Martyrs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html), as far as we can see. Maybe they're allied clerics - except that the clerics were explicitly placed elsewhere. Maybe they're clerics and/or wizards with a level or two of paladin, and you need more to be a Martyr.

Temassasin
2011-03-14, 11:09 PM
I'm still holding out hope that (SoD) Right-Eye's daughter, raised by humans, grew up to be a paladin, carrying on his dream of a peaceful human-goblin village somewhere. In a further pipe dream, I hope she kills Belkar with a Smite Evil, if he doesn't die in the arena soon. Dunno if she'd have a whole order of goblin paladins; that seems just a bit too far-fetched. But good-aligned goblin and human allies, sure.

Hmm, interesting idea. I notice, though, that none of the spellcasters rose as Martyrs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html), as far as we can see. Maybe they're allied clerics - except that the clerics were explicitly placed elsewhere. Maybe they're clerics and/or wizards with a level or two of paladin, and you need more to be a Martyr.
but Hinjo explicitly states that he only put paladins in that room because of the spirit thing

NerfTW
2011-03-14, 11:35 PM
but Hinjo explicitly states that he only put paladins in that room because of the spirit thing

"Paladins of the Sapphire Guard". Which, as Miko pointed out, why is it so difficult to believe that one can be a paladin without having a class with paladin in its title? It's possible, and pretty likely, that the guard has a few pure spellcasters in its ranks to avoid having to seek outside help.

He was referring to the lack of normal guards or the order, to preserve the secret of the ghost martyrs.

Ancalagon
2011-03-15, 05:30 AM
He was referring to the lack of normal guards or the order, to preserve the secret of the ghost martyrs.

I also always assumed he referred to paladins who are "not newbies", "newbie" as in level. So only level 2 or 3 paladins (experienced) can become Ghost Martyrs. At least that's the game rules-background I interpreted into that.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-15, 12:29 PM
We haven't heard anything, but it's likely there are other orders.

t209
2011-03-16, 12:28 AM
You forgot Shinjo!
He is actually an Aristocrat with no combat skill and He is chaotic good who is actually the head of Sapphire Guards.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-16, 12:30 AM
Who is Shinjo?

t209
2011-03-16, 05:05 PM
Who is Shinjo?
You know? The old guy killed by Mentally Defective Miko Miyazaki thinking that Order of the Stick are evil and he is working with them.
COME ON! HE's Mr. Scruffy (Belkar's cat) previous owner.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-16, 05:18 PM
You know? The old guy killed by Mentally Defective Miko Miyazaki thinking that Order of the Stick are evil and he is working with them.

Doesn't ring a bell. Maybe we can ask Shojo, it sounds like they might know each other.

zql
2011-03-16, 05:21 PM

I think that you mean 'Hojo'.

Human Paladin in 415 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html) is actuallySir Francois, Elan's previous master. It has been pointed out a few times.

martianmister
2011-03-16, 05:24 PM
Who is Shinjo?

Hinjo and Shojo's love-cild ofcourse...:smalleek:

t209
2011-03-16, 09:17 PM
Hinjo and Shojo's love-cild ofcourse...:smalleek:

I mean Shojo, Of course! I got mixed up with Shojo and Hinjo and mixed it up.
Say, that gives a theory about Hinjo's origin!

Gnoman
2011-03-17, 06:55 AM

I've never seen a ruling that it was only possible to become a Paladin at level one. In fact, every official and semi-official comment on the matter is that you can multi-class to Paladin, just not from it (without capping your paladin levels.. In other words, the special Paladin restriction only applies after you have taken your first level of Paladin. I've definitely seen some offical books with such characters statted up.