PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else as annoyed by vs. Threads as I am?

TheArsenal
2011-03-13, 02:14 PM
The problem with vs threads is that they don't account lots of factors like that tech works differently in every dimension, in addition all universes exist because they lacked/had certain elements in them.

All that happens in the end is: "I just want my side to win"

Comet
2011-03-13, 02:38 PM
At their best vs. threads are a brilliant opportunity for the fans of two distinct works of fiction to come together and learn more about the opposing story/world through comparing it to one they are more familiar with. In addition to that, they are a neat opportunity, for those who are into the fanfic mentality, to create situations and theoretical stories that go above and beyond the source material on the awesome o-metre.

That's the best case scenario, though. In most cases I agree that they just devolve into people trying to come up with some loophole or something to allow their fandom to 'win'. Whatever that 'win' means and why someone would bother to go through all that bother for something so abstract is beyond my understanding.

TheArsenal
2011-03-13, 03:05 PM
At their best vs. threads are a brilliant opportunity for the fans of two distinct works of fiction to come together and learn more about the opposing story/world through comparing it to one they are more familiar with. In addition to that, they are a neat opportunity, for those who are into the fanfic mentality, to create situations and theoretical stories that go above and beyond the source material on the awesome o-metre.

That's the best case scenario, though. In most cases I agree that they just devolve into people trying to come up with some loophole or something to allow their fandom to 'win'. Whatever that 'win' means and why someone would bother to go through all that bother for something so abstract is beyond my understanding.

In addition, some universes are just inconpatible with each other.

Soilborn
2011-03-13, 04:24 PM
In addition, some universes are just inconpatible with each other.
USS Enterprise vs Death Star

Ytaker
2011-03-13, 04:24 PM
I enjoy them. There certainly is a lot of win mentality, and the fact that a lot of heroes and shows evolve powers as the plot demands doesn't help, but you can often establish a reasonable level of power, and in debating each side you better understand the strengths and weaknesses of both sides.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-13, 04:35 PM
I remember the vs. thread backlash from a while back. The consensus that was reached:

There are some arguments that are just silly. Sometimes that's okay. However: there are plenty of versus threads that can be satisfyingly resolved for the majority of people.

If you don't like 'em, don't click on 'em. :smallsmile:

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-13, 04:55 PM
Vs. Threads need a wide disparity to be properly resolved.
The issue comes up when you realize that the moment main characters are involved it basically becomes a who is more Mary/Marty Sue/Stu -ish competition.

JonestheSpy
2011-03-13, 05:38 PM
Though I'm guilty of posting in one or two, I think they're generally pretty dumb. Pretty easy to ignore, though it sometimes is a tad irritating when a bunch spring up at once and push more interesting topics off the visual plane.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-13, 05:40 PM
The main problem in vs. threads is the die-hard fanboys, honestly. If you can try to compare things objectively, a consensus is usually reached.

Mind you, this consensus is almost always, "The 40k faction wins", but that's another story >.>

Xefas
2011-03-13, 06:30 PM
I think the main problem is that no one reads that sticky that no one reads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70661) that was put up in the past when the versus threads were first going into full swing.

I have a suspicion that if everyone followed the rules presented, and put down a full page of conditions and notes on the scenario and specifics of the competition, instead of just "See Title GOGOGO", then the discussions themselves would be more productive.

factotum
2011-03-14, 02:29 AM
I think the main problem is that no one reads that sticky that no one reads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70661)

Well, of course they don't read it, it's a sticky! This is a Rule. *nods*

Thanqol
2011-03-14, 02:32 AM
I hate them because I've sometimes got good ideas for a VS thread and can't post it because there at 7 already on the front page :smallfrown:

Trazoi
2011-03-14, 02:46 AM
My regret is that the only ones I enjoy are the ludicrously stupid ones - like Emperor Palpatine vs. Pikachu - and those aren't allowed by the board rules.

MoelVermillion
2011-03-14, 02:49 AM
I hate the ones that make really one sided situations like Galactus Vs Edward Cullen. Rather than attempting to have a meaningful discussion these kinds of threads are just a thinly veiled attempt to bash a character. These aren't very common but I have seen a few come up and they're never good when they do.

Trazoi
2011-03-14, 02:56 AM
I hate the ones that make really one sided situations like Galactus Vs Edward Cullen. Rather than attempting to have a meaningful discussion these kinds of threads are just a thinly veiled attempt to bash a character. These aren't very common but I have seen a few come up and they're never good when they do.
Often I really enjoy those, because I love coming up with reasons to support the underdog. The usual loophole is the thinly veiled bashing versus thread fails to set the parameters of the contest, which means the thread can be steered towards something like: who would win, Galactus vs Edward Cullen, in Dancing with the Stars.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 02:58 AM
Often I really enjoy those, because I love coming up with reasons to support the underdog. The usual loophole is the thinly veiled bashing versus thread fails to set the parameters of the contest, which means the thread can be steered towards something like: who would win, Galactus vs Edward Cullen, in Dancing with the Stars.

Hey now, Galactus can dance with literal stars, that's gotta count for something.

Rettu Skcollob
2011-03-14, 03:46 AM
It's just the internet, you should really just relax.

Xefas
2011-03-14, 03:56 AM
Hey now, Galactus can dance with literal stars, that's gotta count for something.

This is pretty winsome right here, I gotta admit.

It also is tangentially related to another deficiency I'd enjoy seeing resolved: almost every versus thread is about fighting. We need more "Dr. Manhattan vs. Xykon, first person to show true empathy for a human child wins" or "Lord Voldemort, stripped of his magic power, and a Celtic Berserker are both given arbitrarily large sums of money and the power, social resources, and authority to produce a big budget Hollywood film on the subject of their choosing. Whose film makes the largest profit, taking into account international appeal and merchandising?"

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 03:59 AM
This is pretty winsome right here, I gotta admit.

It also is tangentially related to another deficiency I'd enjoy seeing resolved: almost every versus thread is about fighting. We need more "Dr. Manhattan vs. Xykon, first person to show true empathy for a human child wins" or "Lord Voldemort, stripped of his magic power, and a Celtic Berserker are both given arbitrarily large sums of money and the power, social resources, and authority to produce a big budget Hollywood film on the subject of their choosing. Whose film makes the largest profit, taking into account international appeal and merchandising?"

Xefas, I demand that you start a thread postulating the 40K Orks vs. The Flood in a choreographed dance-off.

averagejoe
2011-03-14, 04:13 AM
All I have to say on the matter is some people take some fiction seriously, man.

Yeah, but then there's always someone who thinks that such a thing is an attempt at a serious argument in favor of Cullen being able to take Galactus in a 1 on 1 fight. >.>

Xefas
2011-03-14, 04:25 AM
Xefas, I demand that you start a thread postulating the 40K Orks vs. The Flood in a choreographed dance-off.

Well, I dunno that much about either faction, but I'm reasonably certain the Flood shamble. Although it depends somewhat on the judges involved in the scenario, shambling is typically frowned upon as an expression of rhythm and grace. The match up doesn't interest me all that much.

Now, if it was like Khorne and Master Chief have to assemble a five-member team for a choreographed dance-off (of which they are allowed to choose the music for the routine), with three months to train them, but they're collectively only allowed to recruit members from characters portrayed in: The main cast of Firefly, the first season of Pokemon, the male characters in Soul Calibur 2, and anyone from one of the eleven Pixar films, then perhaps.

(Judges: Agent Smith, Link, and Spike Spiegel?)

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 04:26 AM
Well, I dunno that much about either faction, but I'm reasonably certain the Flood shamble. Although it depends somewhat on the judges involved in the scenario, shambling is typically frowned upon as an expression of rhythm and grace. The match up doesn't interest me all that much.

Now, if it was like Khorne and Master Chief have to assemble a five-member team for a choreographed dance-off (of which they are allowed to choose the music for the routine), with three months to train them, but they're collectively only allowed to recruit members from characters portrayed in: The main cast of Firefly, the first season of Pokemon, the male characters in Soul Calibur 2, and anyone from one of the eleven Pixar films, then perhaps.

.....Do it.

Eldan
2011-03-14, 04:29 AM
Hmm. Those concepts sounds interesting. Let's see...

Iron Chef: Hannibal Lecter vs. Patrick Bateman. The secret ingredient is Nori.

The Pattern Jugglers (Revelation space) vs. Chiron (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) in a golf tournament.

Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes) vs. Winnie the Pooh in a poker tournament.

Conan the Barbarian vs. Jack Sparrow in a game of chess.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 04:33 AM
Iron Chef: Hannibal Lecter vs. Patrick Bateman. The secret ingredient is Nori.

And the judges are She Who Lives In Her Name, an Illithid, and a Reaver.

Killer Angel
2011-03-14, 04:51 AM
Conan the Barbarian vs. Jack Sparrow in a game of chess.

Shortest game ever... :smalltongue:

On topic: no, we're not annoyed, otherwise there wouldn't be Vs threads. :smallwink:

Heliomance
2011-03-14, 05:10 AM
At some point I want to see a three way matchup between the Jaegerkin, the Nac Mac Feegle, and the Orks. Preferably in a pub. Anyone who gets all srs business about who would win would be entirely missing the point.

Xefas
2011-03-14, 05:13 AM
.....Do it.

Done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10552313#post10552313). Have at it.

Eldan
2011-03-14, 05:13 AM
They should play football, old-style.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 05:21 AM
At some point I want to see a three way matchup between the Jaegerkin, the Nac Mac Feegle, and the Orks. Preferably in a pub. Anyone who gets all srs business about who would win would be entirely missing the point.

You know that even if the Feegle win, they lose. They cannot break out of a pub.

Eldan
2011-03-14, 05:26 AM
And even if the orks lose, they win.

Nero24200
2011-03-14, 07:09 AM
I find some amusing, but I also find the "winners" of most threads to simply be the most ridiculous, not the most powerful. The Sonic vrs Flash was a good example, since the powers of both are just way too over the top (at one point the thread was discussion if being faster than light could beat stopping time).

I think such threads would work better if the powers were clearly defined by the OP (especially in cases like the above example where their powers can change quite rapidly...I mean...I've only played the 2D sonic games, I never knew he could stop time).

TheArsenal
2011-03-14, 01:41 PM
Care bears vs 40k orcs?
Care bears brainwash into submission

Kneenibble
2011-03-14, 06:07 PM
Though I never post in them, the ridonculous versus threads are actually one of the charms of this board for me. I'm not in the least interested in getting involved in the arguments: the draw is the absurdity of their actually existing, and the absurdity of how seriously engaged posters get in them.

It's a kind of voyeuristic pleasure for me like a coliseum; it boggles my mind that they come to being in the first place. I enjoy getting boggled.

To me, Orks vs. Borg is as precisely as bizarre a premise for debate as Palpatine vs. Pikachu.

Nero24200
2011-03-14, 06:23 PM
To me, Orks vs. Borg is as precisely as bizarre a premise for debate as Palpatine vs. Pikachu.

Pickachu can handle lightning attacks, Palpatine can't. That's a really easy one :smallcool:

Kneenibble
2011-03-14, 06:40 PM
Pickachu can handle lightning attacks, Palpatine can't. That's a really easy one :smallcool:
With the Emperor as an ambitious material man who respects power, I don't think that a lightning attack from Pikachu could resolve into anything except a unique sex combat and horrible, horrible offspring.

Ytaker
2011-03-14, 06:56 PM
It would be not very effective against pikachu, but if the emperor was high enough level he might win. If you really wanted to defeat the emperor you'd need an onix. 0 damage.

137beth
2011-03-14, 07:02 PM
I think such threads would work better if the powers were clearly defined by the OP (especially in cases like the above example where their powers can change quite rapidly...I mean...I've only played the 2D sonic games, I never knew he could stop time).

Wow...this is the best idea about vs. threads I have seen.
Unfortunately, most people who start vs. threads don't think that hard beforehand. Usually, they just turn to "my side is moar awsomerz than yorz, so i will winz!!"

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-14, 09:17 PM
Eh, I find most threads about factions (like the Flood or the Protoss) to be quite interesting, as long as they're on a similar power level. Like the Federation (Star Trek) vs. Covenant and Terran Dominion vs. UNSC. If the scenario is outlined well, it rarely devolves into "my side is teh pwnzrz," and is instead filled with analysis of whatever forces they have available and how they would fare without plot armor and with competent commanders using them.

Rowsen
2011-03-14, 09:36 PM
I dislike those threads for a few reasons:

-People seem to never do research into the side they want to lose.
-Anything that would beat their side suddenly doesn't count.
-And all of that God Emperor nonsense.

Heliomance
2011-03-15, 02:55 AM
It would be not very effective against pikachu, but if the emperor was high enough level he might win. If you really wanted to defeat the emperor you'd need an onix. 0 damage.
Pikachu's beaten an Onix before. With lightning. It involved a training montage.
He's also worked out how to ground himself to become immune to electricity attacks. Yes, Ash's Pikachu is overpowered.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-16, 05:40 AM
The problem with vs threads is that they don't account lots of factors like that tech works differently in every dimension, in addition all universes exist because they lacked/had certain elements in them.

All that happens in the end is: "I just want my side to win"

Pretty much. It's ok with people from the same universe, but even there, fans are, well, biased.

It's fun if you don't take them terribly seriously, and just enjoy the argument for it's own sake.

_Zoot_
2011-03-16, 06:35 AM

Did you know you might be the greatest person ever? Someone give this man a prize for thinking this up!

Anxe
2011-03-16, 01:41 PM
Pikachu's beaten an Onix before. With lightning. It involved a training montage.
He's also worked out how to ground himself to become immune to electricity attacks. Yes, Ash's Pikachu is overpowered.

He beat the Onix by causing a fire in the gym. The fire set off the sprinkler system. The Onix got covered in water, thus making it conductive to electricity. Then Pikachu gave it a big shock that knocked it out.

Worira
2011-03-16, 03:21 PM
That's nice and all, but it doesn't really change that whole "Ground Pokemon are immune to Electric attacks" thing.

Chess435
2011-03-16, 04:29 PM
I've seen worse in the series. Thunder as armor? Seriously?

druid91
2011-03-16, 08:02 PM
I think the main problem is that no one reads that sticky that no one reads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70661) that was put up in the past when the versus threads were first going into full swing.

I have a suspicion that if everyone followed the rules presented, and put down a full page of conditions and notes on the scenario and specifics of the competition, instead of just "See Title GOGOGO", then the discussions themselves would be more productive.

Well one issue there is that technically that sticky is not a hard and fast rule.

Well, we have noticed an alarming trend with the versus threads, and that is the sheer volume of joke, silly and "me too! me too!" threads created without a good cause. While the concept of versus threads is not against the rules or bad in itself, the number of people 'jumping on the bandwagon' just because they can is having a detrimental effect.

In the absence of any official rules on the subject, I'm going to provide you with some guidelines I personally would suggest you consider before creating a new versus thread.
[snip]

While not official by any means, I hope these guidelines help people out.

Well, its a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.

In fact statements like this are the only thing about Vs. threads that annoy me. Yes it is a very good guideline, but a rule it is not.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-17, 02:56 AM
And even if the orks lose, they win.

Not if the fight is over the last full keg of ale in the bar the don't.