PDA

View Full Version : L.L's House of Horror: A Good Old PS2 Freakfest (Survival Horror LP)

Lord Loss
2011-03-13, 05:16 PM
I promised the playground a Let's Play (at the time deisgnated as a PS3 Action Title LP), but complications ensued and that particular Let's Play isn't going to happen (Laziness Schoolwork, Camera Troubles, etc.). Instead, I'm gathering upvictims - friends, sorry. To play through some survival horror with me and give you folk our opinions on the games. However, we're not going to be playing any of these namby-pamby PS3 "Horror" games, we're going to be experiencing some real frights - PS2 Survival Horror games, from back when they actually knew how to make them.

I don't actually have any so far, but I've created a list, some scarier than others and I'm going to be hunting for them through a large variety of stores, online and offline, giving all the new employees who were hoping for some easy money a hard time. So, without further ado, the list of games. I'll be providing descriptions for them later, I swear (as soon as I stop being a lazy bum).

Silent Hill 2-4, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Clock Tower 3
Kuon
Fatal Frame 1-3
Haunting Ground
Siren 1,2
Cold Fear
Obscure 1,2
The Suffering, The Suffering: Ties That Bind
The Thing
Resident Evil (Any)
Echo Night: The Beyond

That's it for now, let me know if you think I forgot any good games. They're all PS2 Games, I don't own any other consoles, my PC's a lunk of dunder and there are almost no good PS3 horror games (Come on, you know Dead Space is only a Gore-Fest with a few jump out scares. In the good old days, we didn't see the monsters in our horror games. We were able to get scared by just imagining the damn things!), so I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with PS2 games unless the upcoming shadows of the damned ends up being godly or someone finds me a copy of Condemned (ordering off E-Bay is a last resort for me).

With that said, if you guys tell me which games you want me to buy, I'll buy those should I find them at the store as opposed to others (you don't need to bother voting for SIlent Hill 2, I'm getting it first if I can find it). As for format, I'm not quite sure what I'll be using. We might go with screenshot LPS, full-fledged video-LPs or perhaps mini-journals of our impressions of the game. We also don't know if we should play through full games or stop after a little while of each, or do it by case-by-case basis, finishing only the very good ones (or those we deem too horrible to not play through). We'd like some feedback on that as well. What format do you guys prefer? Do you want us to play through each and every game? If not, how much do we play of each? Thanks in advance for responding, every last bit of feedback is really appreciated.

That's all for now, L.L!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Well, I promised you guys descriptions of the games, so here are the first few (they're based on my understanding of the games, I don't want to spoil them for myself, so I'm just saying what I know):

Silent Hill Series

Silent Hill centers on a creepy town that changes into a nightmarish version of itself at night. People entering the town are ensnared in the hard to escape, but apparently harmeless Fogworld which sometimes turns into something akin to hell itself (forget the other world's name). Also, Silent Hill takes on shades of the personal problems and emotions of its victims. In the first one, the nurses symbolise the character's wife. In the other ones, they're ther because american designers don't know how to do survival horror. There's also a guy with a triangle for a face. The game uses loneliness to scare, you'll often go for a while without running into a monster.

Clock Tower 3

A girl is given a dire warning by her mother to not return to the family home to celebrate her 15th Birthday. Mystified by the message, she returns home only to find that her family's gone and a new tenant now lives there. There's something involving time travel or whatever and the gameplay involves exploration and running away from monsters - you can't fight them except in boss battles.

Kuon

A ghost story type-thing that plays out in three different Phases (Ying, Yang and Kuon) and centers around two exorcists and a young girl. I don't know much more than this, but apparently there's demons.

Fatal Frame

This one has a camera involved and apparently you fight off enemies using different types of flim for the camera. Sounds snazzy. I don't know much about the individual plots of each game, but here's what I know of the first: After having received almost no news for over a week, Miku goes into the Himuro Mansion to look for her missing brother, Mafuyu Hinasaki. She finds no trace of her brother, except for her mother's old camera that Mafuyu brought along with him. Realizing that she is now trapped within the mansion, Miku continues searching for her brother and a way out.

Haunting Ground

Young girl trapped in spooky castle and wants to escape freaky monsters. Also, the game uses little gore and focuses on what we don't see as opposed to using gore and whatnot. I know very little about the main plot beyond that.

Siren

The story unfolds in the Japanese village of Hanuda where every thirty years, some very spooky stuff goes down. The game takes place over three days, beginning on the date of the anniversary. This game also uses the nifty mechanic of allowing you tu see through the eyes of the monsters trying to devour you (and perhaps other humans? I'm not really sure...).

Cold Fear

Zombies on a decrepit russian whaler. The CIA has to contend not only against undead horrors, but also battle the elements, dodging swinging hooks and grabbing onto railings, seeing as the boat is caught in a storm. Apparently the game lacks in enemy variety.

Domochevsky
2011-03-13, 08:07 PM
Hm, Silent Hill is kinda used up, same as The Suffering and Resident Evil... Clocktower 3 maybe? Never heard of Kuon, so that could be good too. Fatal Frame is also said to be not bad.

Video LP naturally, with live narration. :smallwink:

Lord Loss
2011-03-14, 05:42 AM
Fatal Frame and Clocktower 3 indeed seem very interesting to me, and I've heard good things about Kuon, although I don't know too much about it. It's something of a ghost story, apparently. Which Fatal Frame should we use, if we were to go with those? Are they all good?

Lord Loss
2011-03-14, 07:51 AM
Also, how many commentators do you want, if we're going with the video LP? Myself and one other? Two others? More? Do you want us to keep the same co-hosts for each video? Have one central co-host and guest star people every few episodes? Switch it up between games?

Domochevsky
2011-03-14, 08:58 AM
Don't really know enough about Fatal Frame to really say which one's better, but as far as co-hosting goes i'd say go with two people, tops, (you and one other) and stick to that, since more people tend to muddle it up (they get distracted more easily) and it's easier to get back into it if you were there the last time it happened.

Maybe make a series out of it and play all of the games. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2011-03-14, 09:19 AM
Don't really know enough about Fatal Frame to really say which one's better, but as far as co-hosting goes i'd say go with two people, tops, (you and one other) and stick to that, since more people tend to muddle it up (they get distracted more easily) and it's easier to get back into it if you were there the last time it happened.

Maybe make a series out of it and play all of the games. :smallbiggrin:

I do intend to play multiple games on the list. I'm not sure if I'm even going to complete one but I'll try and get through as many as I can! And I found all of the games on Amazon, so if you pick a preference out of those you suggested, odds are I'll order it.

Domochevsky
2011-03-14, 01:00 PM
Well, then go for Kuon, Clocktower 3 and then the Fatal Frame series. :smallsmile: (Japanese developers tend to be pretty good at this whole horror thing, it seems.)

Mewtarthio
2011-03-14, 01:24 PM
I've seen an LP of Clocktower 3 before. The plot's pretty creepy, actually, but the voice acting gets really atrocious at some points. Just a heads-up.

I can handle a lot of bad voice acting, but scenery-chewing camp in what's supposed to be a dark, serious game is a deal-breaker for me.

Lord Loss
2011-03-14, 06:30 PM
I've never really had trouble with voice acting myself, I rarel even notice it unless it's really bad.