PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Race

Elric VIII
2011-03-13, 10:36 PM
I am planning out a campaign and the main antagonists will be a race of psionic people. I would like to find a unique race for them that is not likely to be something that a PC would want to play (due to RHD or LA). I'm not looking for something powerful, just something that fits.

The race is as follows: (If you are one of my players, avert your eyes)

A race of people that are psionically trained (not necessarily a psionic race).
They will be largely PsiWars with a few Ardents as their spiritual leaders.
The mindset is one of discipline and boundless devotion to honor. They worship their leaders as living gods (similar to the pharaohs).
They will be invaders from a far away land, establishing an emotional divide between them and the people they conquer (conquerees are seen as closer to domesticated animals).
For a good example, look at the Seanchan from the Wheel of Time series.

I want the race to be one that gives the impression of being slightly feral before being "trained." Their origin if that of a puppet race that was itself domesticated by Illithids in order to sieze power. I have looked at Synad, Kalashtar, Inspired, and Elan; while all are viable choices, I would like to use something a little different. Although, the race needs to be one that could blend in reasonably well with the standard races. The race itself does not need to be psionic or in any of the psionics books.

Lyndworm
2011-03-13, 11:05 PM
Your description sounds a lot like Hobgoblins to me. They're very disciplined and loyal, frequently (attempt to) conquer other races which they treat like animals, and being Goblinoids have a built-in "feral" vibe.

RTGoodman
2011-03-13, 11:37 PM
The Xeph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/xeph.htm) race might be a good choice, and no one ever really looks at them. They're naturally psionic, but they have an inherent resistance to magic/psionics (+1 on saves vs. spells, powers, etc.) that they might have picked up under the cruel thumb of illithid overlords. They also have a racial burst ability, which you could reflavor to be a feral burst of speed. (Alternatively, maybe replace it with some version of a Shifter's shifting racial ability.) And they're basically exotic looking humans, so they're easy to fit in.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. Maenads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/maenad.htm) fit the bill just as well if not better. They're psionic, and their fluff is that they have barely-contained primal energy ready to explode out of them. Their outburst ability lets them "go feral" by taking a mental penalty to get +2 Strength.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-14, 12:19 AM
Shifters fluff seems to fit the bill with a few alterations; and mechanically their stats are excellent for any Wis Based caster; but the shifting mechanic while incredibly flavorful and quite similar to what you want....well it sucks.

Duration is far too low, the bonus are not even that good and unless you spend all your feats on [shifter] feats you will only have it available at most two a day or so.

Elric VIII
2011-03-14, 01:18 PM
Your description sounds a lot like Hobgoblins to me. They're very disciplined and loyal, frequently (attempt to) conquer other races which they treat like animals, and being Goblinoids have a built-in "feral" vibe.

That's actually a good suggestion, but I was hoping for something more exotic.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. Maenads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/maenad.htm) fit the bill just as well if not better. They're psionic, and their fluff is that they have barely-contained primal energy ready to explode out of them. Their outburst ability lets them "go feral" by taking a mental penalty to get +2 Strength.

Maenads are just what I'm looking for, but how exactly does the psi-like ability work? is it considered fully augmented when used or do I have to use PP?

Shifters fluff seems to fit the bill with a few alterations; and mechanically their stats are excellent for any Wis Based caster; but the shifting mechanic while incredibly flavorful and quite similar to what you want....well it sucks.

Duration is far too low, the bonus are not even that good and unless you spend all your feats on [shifter] feats you will only have it available at most two a day or so.

Yeah, I tried building a shifter PC once and every feat, 2 flaws, and a PrC that granted 2 Shifter feats still only let me use it 5/day. Although they might make a good NPC race that only sees combat 1/day. I think I'm going to use Maenads, though.

RTGoodman
2011-03-14, 04:10 PM
Maenads are just what I'm looking for, but how exactly does the psi-like ability work? is it considered fully augmented when used or do I have to use PP?

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/overview.htm#psiLikeAbilities):

When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.

Since a Maenad's energy ray has a ML equal to 1/2 hit dice, basically does 1d6(-1) sonic damage (that ignores hardness) per 2 class levels.

If you do use them, I suggest looking up or homebrewing some feats to improve or augment their energy ray and outburst abilities.

Elric VIII
2011-03-14, 04:25 PM
Meanad Ardents can get a nice ability that subtracts 2 from the cost of a metapsionic, and stacks with metapower. That could work for empowering it, or simply Maximize SLA.

Does Practiced Manifester work to increase the ML of PLAs? (Or does Practiced Spellcaster work for SLAs?)

Using metapsionics on it would be pretty cool, since I plan to have the populace going around in a consant Psionic Focus. So, breaking focus to metapsionic and then next round using their +2 Str ability is a nice touch.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-14, 05:05 PM
Dreamscarred press (the ones behind PF psionics) released some good stuff for maenads, might be worthwhile to check their SRD

Talbot
2011-03-14, 07:23 PM
Githyanki sound more or less perfect for this.

Elric VIII
2011-03-14, 07:51 PM
Githyanki sound more or less perfect for this.

Aren't Githyanki dedicated to the utter destruction of Illithids?

Talbot
2011-03-14, 08:08 PM
They do other stuff, but yeah, they hate Ilithids lots, which fits well with the requested background of "domesticated by Ilithids", because, well, they were.

Githzerai could work too, as they're a little more psionically oriented, but they're also not as invasion/conquest happy.

TechnOkami
2011-03-14, 08:33 PM
This sounds like a job for half giants! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) They can be the "tame" result of the illithids or whoever crossing over human and giant genes to make them a smaller, tamer, smarter, yet not cripplingly strong or stupid like the normal giants are (depending on which giants we're talking about, mind you).