PDA

View Full Version : Speed Boost help (3.5)

Jallorn
2011-03-13, 10:46 PM
What are some easy ways to increase your move speed? I'd rather avoid anything that costs class levels as the speed is a complement to a current build rather than a build in itself, but I'm open to all suggestions.

On a related note (same character), are there any feats that grant Charm Person as SLA? I need it for a PRC, and I'd rather not use an invocation for it since it doesn't do the most for my build.

Edit:Might help to know the character:

Currently a Scout 7/Dark Template 1//Warlock 7/Mindbender 1 Human. The Dark Template was added by a ritual, so it's not the first level. Three of his feats are tied up in Shot on the Run (get PBS for free), but the rest are negotiable. No flaws or traits. His design is to be a fast scout, and also to use SWAT-like tactics, move in fast, deal a lot of damage, move out or on. I'm not sure I need more speed, but I'm considering the possibility, if there's anything I think would be particularly worthwhile, I'm absolutely going to grab it.

With regards to the Charm person, currently using Warlock retraining shenanigans, but it hasn't been approved by the DM yet, so I'm still looking for other options.

Elric VIII
2011-03-14, 12:18 AM
Quick trait from UA adds +10 speed and -1 hp/level.

Fleet of Foot regional feat from PGtF grants +10 move speed as well.

dextercorvia
2011-03-14, 12:26 AM
Armor crystal in the MIC gives +5' competencemorale bonus.

Planar Touchstone:Catalogs of Enlightenment -- Celerity Domain.

For the Charm Person, there is Draconic Rite of Passage, but you have to be a Kobold.

Edit: I knew there was one more. If you can get a power point reserve: Speed of thought from XPH (10' insight bonus).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-14, 12:27 AM
A psionic character can take Speed of though and have +10 feet increase, when psioniclly focused.

Freedom mantle gets you a similar bonus (though they do stack) to speed of though, you can get it through a dip into ardent or through the feats tap mantle and don mantle (all this found in Complete Psionic)

Celerity domain (SC) also gives a 10 ft. bonus... I think you can get it with Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) keyed to the celerity domain... I think it is found in Planar Handbook.

That is all that springs to mind at the moment, hopes that help.

Edit: Swordsage'd on the catalogues....

dextercorvia
2011-03-14, 12:29 AM
And I was ninja'd as I tried to edit in the Speed of Thought.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-14, 12:34 AM
Well I am a ninja (points at avatar) :smallamused:[/off topic]

.....I think there are a pair of cheap magic boots in either the MiC ore SRD that give a movement boost[/On topic]

Ajadea
2011-03-14, 01:16 AM
There's always the Extra Invocation feat to grab Charm Person.

Jarian
2011-03-14, 01:19 AM
Have you considered the wing graft from Fiend Folio? You didn't mention an alignment, so it may conflict, but if not... it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread for speedy characters.

Jallorn
2011-03-14, 01:27 AM
Have you considered the wing graft from Fiend Folio? You didn't mention an alignment, so it may conflict, but if not... it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread for speedy characters.

Well I already have Fell Flight, so I don't really need wings.

Jarian
2011-03-14, 01:29 AM
Well I already have Fell Flight, so I don't really need wings.

You may not need wings, but I'm pretty sure you want wings that give you a flight speed of double your land speed.

All these other suggestions? Times two. Think about it. :smallwink:

Jallorn
2011-03-14, 01:31 AM
You may not need wings, but I'm pretty sure you want wings that give you a flight speed of double your land speed.

All these other suggestions? Times two. Think about it. :smallwink:

That is good, and I could spend my invocation on something else. We will be facing lots of magic users, and I was thinking that Voracious Dispelling would be good. And the Scout speed boost doesn't help my flight speed.

I'll look into it.

Edit: Neh, doesn't really work too well for me. Average maneuverability isn't worth the speed boost to me, and it requires a reworking of my money. Not to mention the stat hit is annoying since I'm a moderate face type as well. Not that it's irreparable since my stats are okay without Beguiling Influence, but as a whole, it's just too much trouble. Thanks though.

Amnestic
2011-03-14, 01:40 AM
Air Heritage (Planar Handbook) gives you a bonus 30' fly speed along with some other goodies.

Scratch that, reread it and says it only applies to fly speed "as a racial ability". My bad.

Jallorn
2011-03-14, 01:59 AM
Armor crystal in the MIC gives +5' competencemorale bonus.
-snip-

Are you sure? I can't find one that does that in there.

Darrin
2011-03-14, 06:36 AM
Are you sure? I can't find one that does that in there.

That's because it's hidden in the "Magic Item Sets" section. Try the lower right corner of page 195.

However, it can only be added to medium or heavy armor, which may not be compatable with spellcasting or flying.

Odd... Fell Flight doesn't mention any restrictions on encumbrance or armor, so it looks like you get your full fly speed in any kind of armor or carrying a medium/heavy load.

The Quickness enhancement (MIC p. 13) can be added to any armor for +5000 GP, but it's a +5' enhancement bonus, so there are a lot of things it doesn't stack with.

Adding a continuous longstrider effect to any magic item has a suggested cost of 2000 GP (1 spell level x 1 caster level x 2000, duration is 1 hour/CL so no cost multiplier).

Shape Soulmeld: Cerulean Sandals or Dread Carapace can increase your speed (the latter, quite significantly... +60' enhancement for 1 round, +10' per essentia).

dextercorvia
2011-03-14, 09:22 AM
The Quickness enhancement (MIC p. 13) can be added to any armor for +5000 GP, but it's a +5' enhancement bonus, so there are a lot of things it doesn't stack with.

Boots of the Unending Journey will give you a +10' enhancement bonus for 4000, but your alignment needs to contain N.