PDA

View Full Version : [M&M] Character Build Suggestions

Fhaolan
2011-03-13, 11:53 PM
Hi all,

I've been invited to play in a Mutants & Mastermind game (I believe the most recent edition, but I could be mistaken. I'm checking now. Yep, 3rd, or the DC Heroes one. The GM says they're the same thing. I haven't read all of it to confirm this.) I was thinking about building out a version of a character I played in a systemless play-by-post game recently. While I will do this myself, I'm always curious as to what the Playground can come up with. So how would *you* build out this character [this may be too much for a starting M&M character, I don't know]:

Mid-twenties woman, American born of mixed Turkish/Native American descent. Trained extensively as a horse vaulter, gymnast, and archer by her maternal grandfather (a former Kazakh stunt-man and retired small-time hero himself). Works as a computer support engineer for a large IT firm. Has a twin sister (civil engineer), who is aware of her and grandfather's secret identities and helps keep it a secret. Nobody else in the family is aware of the superhero-bit.

Came into the possession of a mystic amulet that gives her some of the powers of an eagle: wings, increased strength (enough to lift a person over her head or carry a person in flight, but that's it), and significantly improved visual accuity. The powers of the amulet are 'activatable' so visible physical changes appear or go away with a magic phrase. The orgin of the amulet and how she got it is very mysterious, and she has difficulty remembering herself. Her grandfather did *not* have it, which is the only real fact anyone is clear on.

She uses archery as her primary weapon. She builds her own equipment with asstance from her grandfather. However, she's not rich (student loans, of course), and doesn't have access to a lot of portable ultra-tech, so she's not like Green Arrow or Hawkeye with 'whatever they need' arrows. Sharps, blunts, smokes, and taser-types is about the limit. *Maybe* a GPS tracking arrow, but that's pushing the budget to the breaking point.

Now she is taking up the hero-biz, using her grandfather's old hero name: Burkut [means eagle in some of the Turkish dialects, specifically referring to what Westerners call the 'Golden Eagle'. She thought about just using 'Golden Eagle' but according to the GM there already is a Golden Eagle whom she would not want to be associated with.]

Beleriphon
2011-03-14, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

I've been invited to play in a Mutants & Mastermind game (I believe the most recent edition, but I could be mistaken. I'm checking now. Yep, 3rd, or the DC Heroes one. The GM says they're the same thing. I haven't read all of it to confirm this.) I was thinking about building out a version of a character I played in a systemless play-by-post game recently. While I will do this myself, I'm always curious as to what the Playground can come up with. So how would *you* build out this character [this may be too much for a starting M&M character, I don't know]:

What you have is perfectly doable, but knowing how many power points and the power level is critical for buidling a character. I'll assume PL 10 and 150pp, since that is the suggested starting value.

Mid-twenties woman, American born of mixed Turkish/Native American descent. Trained extensively as a horse vaulter, gymnast, and archer by her maternal grandfather (a former Kazakh stunt-man and retired small-time hero himself). Works as a computer support engineer for a large IT firm. Has a twin sister (civil engineer), who is aware of her and grandfather's secret identities and helps keep it a secret. Nobody else in the family is aware of the superhero-bit.

Complication fodder. Excellent.

Came into the possession of a mystic amulet that gives her some of the powers of an eagle: wings, increased strength (enough to lift a person over her head or carry a person in flight, but that's it), and significantly improved visual accuity. The powers of the amulet are 'activatable' so visible physical changes appear or go away with a magic phrase. The orgin of the amulet and how she got it is very mysterious, and she has difficulty remembering herself. Her grandfather did *not* have it, which is the only real fact anyone is clear on.

She uses archery as her primary weapon. She builds her own equipment with asstance from her grandfather. However, she's not rich (student loans, of course), and doesn't have access to a lot of portable ultra-tech, so she's not like Green Arrow or Hawkeye with 'whatever they need' arrows. Sharps, blunts, smokes, and taser-types is about the limit. *Maybe* a GPS tracking arrow, but that's pushing the budget to the breaking point.

Hardly breaking the bank on power points with this stuff. That being said more information is needed. Do you want an agile character that works more on avoid attacks, or are you looking for a force field protected type?

Now she is taking up the hero-biz, using her grandfather's old hero name: Burkut [means eagle in some of the Turkish dialects, specifically referring to what Westerners call the 'Golden Eagle'. She thought about just using 'Golden Eagle' but according to the GM there already is a Golden Eagle whom she would not want to be associated with.]

Bakrut - PL 10

Strength 6, Stamina 3, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 3, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 4

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 6, Improved Aim, Languages 1, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+13), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+8), Expertise: Engineering 8 (+11), Insight 8 (+12), Perception 10 (+14), Ranged Combat: Bakrut's Bow 5 (+10), Sleight of Hand 5 (+10), Technology 10 (+13)

Powers
Broad Head Arrows: Damage 5 (ballistic, DC 20; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Smoke Cloud: Cloud Area Affliction 5 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, Hindered, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere; Limited Degree 2)
. . Taser Arrow: Affliction 7 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
Mini Tracer Arrows: Feature 1 (technological; Increased Range: ranged)
Mystic Amulet (Removable)
. . Eagle Vision: Senses 3 (Extended: Visual 2: x100, Low-light Vision)
. . Eagle's Claws: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Noticeable: Visible glow)
. . Wings of the Eagle: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)

Equipment
Bakrut's Bow , Old Workshop, Utility Belt (Flash Goggles, GPS Receiver, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool)

[b]Offense
Initiative +5
Broad Head Arrows: Damage 5, +15 (DC 20)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 16)
Smoke Cloud: Cloud Area Affliction 5 (DC Fort 15)
Taser Arrow: Affliction 7, +10 (DC Fort 17)
Throw, +10 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)

Complications
Motivation: Doing Good
Secret Identity

Languages
English, Turkish

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 7/3, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 58 + Powers 13 + Advantages 21 + Skills 30 (59 ranks) + Defenses 28 = 150

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Fhaolan
2011-03-15, 12:54 AM
What you have is perfectly doable, but knowing how many power points and the power level is critical for buidling a character. I'll assume PL 10 and 150pp, since that is the suggested starting value.

I was told to use the starting values, so I assume that is correct. :)

Complication fodder. Excellent.

It helps that this is a character who've I've already worked on in what is in effect a writing workshop environment. It's given me time and opportunity to round out the character's background.

Hardly breaking the bank on power points with this stuff. That being said more information is needed. Do you want an agile character that works more on avoid attacks, or are you looking for a force field protected type?

I was aiming very specifically for an entry-level hero-type, someone at the beginning of a career instead of the peak. I was concerned about the expense of the flight abilities, given how game-changing flight is in other d20 game systems.

Definately Agile rather than a force-field. I've based her physical description, and personality, as a blending of a several people I know from my wife's Vaulting team (If you're not familiar with the sport, it is basically gymnastics on horseback), and some other people I know who do competition horse archery (in the Mongolian & Turkish styles). As such, I'm envisioning what is basically an award-winning gymnast.

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Cool. :) Thank you for the ideas. I've not played Mutants and Masterminds in any of the editions (though I have built out a different character in 1st edition for a game that never took place), so I like to see what other people would do with the basic concepts. Gives me a better foundation. :)

Out of curiousity, are there massive differences between the different editions of M&M? I haven't been tracking this system because the groups I normally do super-hero gaming use either Champions or free-form, so I haven't needed to go over M&M in any kind of detail beyond 'it's a d20-style game'.

Beleriphon
2011-03-15, 01:06 AM
Out of curiousity, are there massive differences between the different editions of M&M? I haven't been tracking this system because the groups I normally do super-hero gaming use either Champions or free-form, so I haven't needed to go over M&M in any kind of detail beyond 'it's a d20-style game'.

First edition is more like superheroes DnD where the Power Level is a character level and linked to the Power Point totals. Second Editoin broke that link, so PL was a limiter on certain values, and Power Points were just a resource for character building. Third Edition (and by extension DC Adventures) is similar to Second Edition, but takes away many of the vestigages of the D20 background, Ability Scores w attached bonuses (the 3rd Edtion score is the same as the bonus on a score in D&D so a Strength 4 is the same as a Strength 18 in D&D).

Fhaolan
2011-03-15, 09:28 AM
Okay, that was wierd. Apparantly because I posted this thread, I have been disinvited to the M&M game. According to one of the players, the group has a standing policy against discussing their games on forums. And they actively read several gaming forums just to find anyone breaking this policy. That's an odd one, and far more paranoid a gaming group than I want to deal with. :smallwink:

Oh well, Burkut goes into the inactive file now until another opportunity arrises. Thanks for the assistance, Beleriphon! And if anyone else wants to talk about alternate versions of the build for this character, I'm still curious. :smallsmile:

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-15, 12:26 PM
And they didn't TELL you this policy ahead of time?!?

Yea I know, ignorance of the law is no excuse and all... but, damn!

Fhaolan
2011-03-15, 02:11 PM
Seems to be a timing issue. There was a... believe it or not... a NDA and other group policy package I was to sign when I showed up for my first session. I just haven't made it to the first session.

Note to self: avoid gaming with a group mostly composed of megacorp lawyers. :)

Kobold Esq
2011-03-15, 03:37 PM
Seems to be a timing issue. There was a... believe it or not... a NDA and other group policy package I was to sign when I showed up for my first session. I just haven't made it to the first session.

I'm an attorney myself (Kobold, Esq.), and I've played with a number of others. With the exception of some more nuanced arguments over rules and a strangely obsessive need for rulings to be consistent, I've never encountered any other odd behavior.

I wonder why they are so super secretive.

Dragonmuncher
2011-03-15, 04:30 PM

What... the...

I could maybe- MAYBE- see some kind of list of group guidelines. Having a whole CONTRACT seems ridiculous, but whatever. But why in the hell would they have you sign an NDA. What, in case you "outed" the fact that they play D&D?

Dude, screw them. Seriously. You're much better off.

Fhaolan
2011-03-17, 03:08 PM
Heya again. Just for my own amusement, I finished building out my own version of Burkut. Here's what I came up with:

Burkut – PL 10
Female, 25 years old, 5’10”, 160 lbs. Hazel Eyes, Olive Complexion, Brown Hair with dyed Gold highlights.

Strength 6 (4pts), Stamina 3 (6pts), Agility 5 (10pts), Dexterity 5 (10pts), Fighting 3 (6pts), Intellect 3 (6pts), Awareness 3 (6pts), Presence 2 (4pts)

Dodge 13 (8pts), Parry 9 (6pts), Fortitude 8 (5pts), Toughness 7/3*, Will 9 (6pts) [* without Defensive Roll]

Initiative +9
Bow: Varies by Arrow, +9 (Ballistic, Crit 20)
Grab: +3 (DC Spec 16) Bludgeon, Crit 20)
Throw: +9 (DC 21) (Bludgeon, Crit 20)
Unarmed: +7 (DC 21) (Bludgeon, Crit 20)

Running Jump: 20ft.; Standing Jump: 10ft.; Running Vertical Jump: 4ft.; Standing Vertical Jump: 2ft.
Base Momement Speed: 2 miles/hour, 30 feet/round
Run: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round
Swim: 0.5 miles/hour, 6 feet/round
Flight: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round
Throwing Distance: 6 tons/6 feet; 200 lbs./30 feet; 800 lbs./ 120 feet

Skills: Acrobatics +13 (8pts), Athletics +10 (4pts), Close Combat [Unarmed] +7 (4pts), Deception +2 (0pts), Expertise [Engineering] +11 (8pts), Insight +11 (8pts), Intimidation +2 (0pts), Perception +13 (10pts), Persuasion +2 (0pts), Ranged Combat [Bow] +11 (6pts), Slight of Hand +7 (2pts), Stealth +5 (0pts), Technology +13 (10pts), Vehicles +7 (2pts)

Advantages: Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 4 , Equipment 3, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 1, Languages 2 (English, Hopi, Kazakh), Power Attack, Precise Attack 1 (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Feather Amulet [Magic, Device (Removable), Alternate Form: Activation (Move Action)] (12 pts)
Eagle’s Eyes: Senses 3 (Extended Vision 2 x100, Low-Light Vision) (3 pts)
Eagle’s Power: Enhanced Strength 4 (8 pts)
Eagle’s Wings: Flight 5 (Wings, Speed 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round) (5 pts)

Bow & Arrows [Technological, Ballistic, Device (Removable), Array) (10 pts)
Broadhead Arrows: Ranged Damage 5 (Range 125/250/500, DC 20) (10 pts)
Rubber Blunt Arrows: Non-lethal Ammo (1 ep)
Carrier Arrows: Ranged Damage 5 (Range 50/125/250), DC 20, Diminished Range, Feature: can carry mini-tracer or other similar device) (1 pt [10 pts])
Smoke Arrows: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 5 (1st degree: Hinders, Impaired, Resisted by Fortitude, DC 15, Range 125/250/500, Cloud Area 15ft radius sphere) (1 pt [10 pts])
Taser Arrows: Ranged Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impared, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Disabled, Resisted by Fortitude, DC 15, Range 125/250/500) (1 pt [10 pts])

Equipment:
Studio Apartment [Toughness 6, Tiny, Secret, Living Space, Fire Prevention System, Security System, Computer, Workshop] (5 ep)
Utility Belt [Flash Goggles (1 ep), Flashlight (1 ep), GPS Receiver (1 ep), Mini-Tracer (1 ep), Multi-Tool (1 ep), Restraints (1 ep)]

PP: Abilities 52 + Powers 22 + Advantages 20 + Skills 31 + Defenses 25 = 150

Complications:
Motivation: Doing Good
Secret: Secret Identity
Relationship: Twin Sister and Grandfather know secret identity and actively protect it. Father, other relations, and friends do not know secret identity
Power Loss: All arrows are hand-crafted, and the quiver can only carry a limited number which can run out.