PDA

View Full Version : Going To California!

Koury
2011-03-14, 12:03 AM
So, I was at work last week minding my own busness, doing my work thing when my boss came up to me. I was offered a job down in California. I wasn't given many details at the time (it was mostly to see if I was interested that he came up to me), but I know it will be somewhere in northern California, that I'll be there til October or November and that the pay will be baised on how much work gets done but I can expect somewhere in the $20,000 area assuming average production.

I know its not like a million dollars, but my debts in total are along the lines of $12,000 so the chance to get everything paid off by the end of the year and still be ahead a few thousand is appealing to me.

I told him yes and it turns out I'm to leave in very short order. There is a slim chance I head out tomorrow, but I am expecting to go around Wednesday.

I'm excited. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2011-03-14, 12:11 AM
I told him yes and it turns out I'm to leave in very short order. There is a slim chance I head out tomorrow, but I am expecting to go around Wednesday.

I'm excited. :smallbiggrin:
I'm happy for you, but I see two issues. First is that $20,000 is... not that much in this day and age. Second is that he gave you such a short time frame. Can 20k sustain you in California? Do you have housing arranged? Have you informed friends and family? This is a big deal, and it sounds like you had little to no warning. :smallconfused:

Moff Chumley
2011-03-14, 12:11 AM
Awesome! Northern California's beautiful, for the most part. You'll be in the Bay Area, I'm assuming?

Koury
2011-03-14, 12:18 AM
I'm happy for you, but I see two issues. First is that $20,000 is... not that much in this day and age. Second is that he gave you such a short time frame. Can 20k sustain you in California? Do you have housing arranged? Have you informed friends and family? This is a big deal, and it sounds like you had little to no warning. :smallconfused:

Oh, I know its not a whole bunch, but thats not counting a lot of things like the place I'm staying being free, plus my actual wage the whole time I'm there. The 20k is more of a bonus at the end type thing. Besides, its really more then I've made in a year all by itself. My only well paying job I've ever had I ended up getting laid off six months in due to the company running low on work.

As far as little warning, yeah, very true, but I have nothing really going on here as is (hence my ability to go on such short notice in the first place) and... yeah.

Regarding telling my family, of course. I actually work for my father, so yeah. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2011-03-14, 12:53 AM
All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray... :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, congratulations. Best of luck out there.

rakkoon
2011-03-14, 04:25 AM
If it's temporary you can get it past friends and partner and you can still see whether you like it enough to stay there. Have fun, enjoy the experience and the money :smallsmile:

Koury
2011-03-16, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the good lucks guys. bit of an update: Plan is to head out Friday to just a little bit west of Redding.

I'm a bit nervous, but excited all the same.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-16, 05:38 AM
Oh, I know its not a whole bunch, but thats not counting a lot of things like the place I'm staying being free...

That's a big factor in Ca! Best of luck!

grimbold
2011-03-16, 07:30 AM
i'm going to california is a beautiful led zeppelin song
you should listen too it on your way there

Pika...
2011-03-16, 08:35 AM
May I ask what you do? Must be interesting for a 20k bonus. O.O

Koury
2011-03-16, 03:37 PM
May I ask what you do? Must be interesting for a 20k bonus. O.O

Well, I can't really answer that. Not because of forum rules or anything (i'm not doing anything illegal or I wouldn't be posting about it at all. :smalltongue:) but because of my work.

As far as it being interesting, well, it's all new to me so it should be pretty interesting alright. Two days if all goes as planned. :smallsmile:

Pika...
2011-03-16, 03:40 PM
Well, I can't really answer that. Not because of forum rules or anything (i'm not doing anything illegal or I wouldn't be posting about it at all. :smalltongue:) but because of my work.

As far as it being interesting, well, it's all new to me so it should be pretty interesting alright. Two days if all goes as planned. :smallsmile:

I see.

The "If I tell you, I gotta kill you..." type of work. :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-03-16, 03:51 PM
Cool! California's awesome!

lord pringle
2011-03-16, 11:15 PM
All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray... :smalltongue:
Seriously, though, congratulations. Best of luck out there.

California nights...
But if you're ever in the bay area come and drop by.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-17, 12:42 AM
California nights...
But if you're ever in the bay area come and drop by.

Redding's pretty outta the way, if I remember correctly...

Maelstrom
2011-03-17, 06:05 AM
Not much going on west of redding in the trinity area...Gold/Logs or er,rather illegal "harvesting".... Here's to gold ;)

Koury
2011-03-17, 03:24 PM
Redding's pretty outta the way, if I remember correctly... Well, Redding is the closest town of any notable size to where I'll be I'm told.

Not much going on west of redding in the trinity area...Gold/Logs or er,rather illegal "harvesting".... Here's to gold ;) Ha, that'd be sweet if I found some gold. I'll have to keep my eye out for some, eh?

Trellan
2011-03-19, 02:20 AM

Hey now, some of us were born in Redding. :smalltongue: But yeah, there's not much goin on out there. Redding itself isn't so bad, but the area is kinda dull.

Koury
2011-03-19, 02:12 PM
So I've been warned. I'm kinda just excited to be doing anything at all. I feel a lot like my life has been on hold for the last few years, and not for anything in particular so I'm glad something is happening.

And speaking of things hold, the group who went down ahead of my is slightly behind so I'm not headed out just yet, though I'm told Monday is likely.

Gaelbert
2011-03-20, 12:48 AM

Oh yeah.

Make sure you visit Lassen. It's quite a beautiful place.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-20, 01:22 AM
Great hiking, if memory serves.

Maelstrom
2011-03-20, 04:26 AM
Oh yeah.

Make sure you visit Lassen. It's quite a beautiful place.

Second this -- gorgeous park. View from the rim is spectacular, as well...