PDA

View Full Version : I need a sandbox MMO

Trekkin
2011-03-14, 12:20 AM
So it's spring break for me, and while my days are taken up with lab work my evenings are mostly free. As such, I'm looking for an MMO to play around with for a week or so, and not a combat one but a sandbox one. To give an idea of what I'm looking for, from past sojourns into the genre:

Wurm Online (http://www.wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page)
Haven and Hearth (http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/)
Shores of Hazeron (http://hazeron.wikia.com/wiki/Shores_of_Hazeron_Wiki)
and the crafting/mining segment of EVE Online, to which I might return if I can't find a less incessantly "hardcore" game.

So does anyone know of a game like that, ideally one with a free trial system? I've also heard them called survival MMOs, if I recall correctly.

The_Admiral
2011-03-14, 01:43 AM
Urban Dead its free no objectives but there is no crafting/mining segment

Prplcheez
2011-03-14, 02:48 AM
I suppose Minecraft could technically fit into this genre.

Ogremindes
2011-03-14, 04:48 AM
I suppose Minecraft could technically fit into this genre.

Except for the 'massively' part of mmo. But Minecraft is a multiplayer online game, and as sandboxy a sandbox as ever there was.

Forbiddenwar
2011-03-15, 03:22 PM
Except for the 'massively' part of mmo. But Minecraft is a multiplayer online game, and as sandboxy a sandbox as ever there was.

Go to some famous public servers, like Yogiverse. Only thing more massive is WOW. Only it's not free.
(Edit: Free to play, not free to buy. It's $25.00 to buy)

It's also survival, and has an amazing mining/crafting/farming system.

Lord Loss
2011-03-15, 03:48 PM
Not free, but the original Guild Wars is not only ridiculously cheap but also free to play once you've bought it and downright amazing.

Jothki
2011-03-15, 07:24 PM
Not free, but the original Guild Wars is not only ridiculously cheap but also free to play once you've bought it and downright amazing.

Not sandboxy at all, though.

Lord Loss
2011-03-16, 03:54 PM
Oh. Right... :smallfrown: Still, a good MMO.

Trekkin
2011-03-17, 12:19 AM
I could redefine the object of my search as an MMORTS, should that help.

Wookieetank
2011-03-17, 08:16 AM
I'll just leave this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_galaxy

Jonzac
2011-03-22, 07:53 AM
EVE ONLINE...nothing but sandbox.

Trekkin
2011-03-22, 02:49 PM
EVE ONLINE...nothing but sandbox.

Actually, it's rather tightly constrained in several places. It always struck me as less a sandbox than a Lite Brite panel, with regulated components (and this works for your time input as well as ship loadout) put into regulated slots in an unregulated order. At any rate, I'd already played it, and my spring break is over now anyway.

Thanks, everyone!

Wookieetank
2011-03-22, 02:52 PM
Actually, it's rather tightly constrained in several places. It always struck me as less a sandbox than a Lite Brite panel, with regulated components (and this works for your time input as well as ship loadout) put into regulated slots in an unregulated order. At any rate, I'd already played it, and my spring break is over now anyway.

Thanks, everyone!

Just out of curiosity, what game did you end up going with?

Trekkin
2011-03-22, 03:30 PM
Shores of Hazeron. A couple of my friends are on Linux machines and decided they wanted to play along, so I went with a game that I knew ran reasonably well on both platforms with a minimum of tinkering and spent all my time (over) developing our moon base in lieu of my normal method of overdeveloping the home planet. It was sufficiently different to be fun. We were lucky enough to locate high-quality lunar ice, so it wasn't like the base capacity was limited by air/water import rates; it let me beat my friend on the (habitable, easily expanded) homeworld in population.

I also tried shattered galaxies and Urban Dead, and found them both fun; SG was absolutely uncanny in its resemblance to Starcraft. It was a good spring break, all told.