PDA

View Full Version : One Plane at a Time [IC]

Ajadea
2011-03-14, 12:39 AM
You come from different worlds. The pits of Goliaug, the depths of the World Beneath, and the simple towns at the edge of civilization. You fight for power, inevitably, whether it is to ascend to godhood or simply to assist a cause greater than yourself. In the end, anyone who has come this far, has come this far because of that innate drive and ambition they possess. Your perspectives on life are inevitably different. An outsider will live forever, as will a ghost, and a dragon, even with such diluted blood, can live a millenia with ease. But a living human will not last a century without powerful magic. Yet you are all here. You are allies, however fragile that alliance may be. Maybe in the end it doesn't matter that much where you came from.

Maybe, in the end, what matters is where you are, and where you are going.

This chapter begins, like many, in a castle, in a human kingdom, and with a king. The primary difference is that the king is a balor. You are gathered around a table. There is a large, detailed (relatively speaking), map of the world in the center of it, covering nearly the entire table. You have your resources, your contacts, your own amazing strength. You have the world at your fingertips. Or a depiction of it, anyways. You could begin anywhere.

Where you start is your choice.

The nearest territories, for reference, are Savolara and Lesser Izunale to the south, Nalashanti and Labaene to the west, Greater Izunale to the east, and Alatrane to the north. All loosely bound in some way to you and each other, all laughably easy to break apart.

OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190714)

Cogidubnus
2011-03-14, 03:40 AM
Typhus

Upon hearing that his guests were arriving, Typhus rose slowly from his ornate gold throne, his talons lifting away from the curled claws of the gilt armrests, his purple-black wings folding in as he lifted them from the carefully-concealed rests that supported them so he could sit in regal splendour, his spread wings making a truly imposing figure. He walked down the purple velvet carpet that stretched the length of his throne room, admiring the murals that stretched between Doric columns of black marble.

Typhus cures the deaf virtuoso. Typhus raises the general's son. Typhus wrestles the Balors. Typhus restores the keep. Typhus crushes the Duke's army. Typhus is crowned.

His life story, in many ways. Behind him, Annosia slithered along the velvet, smiling to feel it on her belly, watching her lord, lover, god's back.

Typhus was sure the valets would have done an adequate job in showing his guests to their rooms and providing them with whatever comforts they desired, so he went straight to the maps, letting the others meet him there.

As all are assembled, he opts to open the discussion.

'We are all here because we share one goal - dominion. And together, we can achieve it. Maybe, Mordaci, you can accept being able to rewrite your share of the multiverse however you wish, rather than destroying it? I still wish you would come serve me, you would have so many more opportunities. But I trust you all the same.
So, my Fated compatriots, where do we start? From a diplomatic standpoint, Savolara is the best target. None of my neighbours will take too much offense at my removing the aggressive Duke, and his designs on my kingdom give us a solid ground for war, while disguising our expansionist aims for as long as possible.'

Jack_Simth
2011-03-14, 07:20 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi carefully scans the room, making sure there were neither servants nor spies about, other than perhap's Typhus' plaything, Annosia, before Belyb dimisses her disguise. When she does so, she reveals her true form to those present who had not already penetrated it; she is of a rather rare type - a slightly-transparent blue-skinned elf with overlarge eyes that are solid black in color, blue moth-like wings, clawed hands, and a jaw that looks a little too large. She wears a cloak close to her body, a hat on her head, a shortsword sheathed at her belt with peace-ties, next to a rod held similarly, a gem in the middle of her forehead, and bracers on her arms. Supple leather gloves cover her hands. She keeps a silver icon of an eyeless mask on a thin chain around her neck, on top of her vest. Today, she wears brown woolen slacks.

She then replies "Yes... we are all here for our own purposes... but an end to warfare will serve My Queen well - and the only feasible way to do that is to unite the many worlds. I've no particular preference on where we start... save that if anyone is insistent on conquering My Queen's realm, I will send you there." She lets that sink in a moment before continuing "But yes - the neighboring kingdoms are a reasonable place to begin. Typhus, if you are agreeable, it might be to our advantage to leave a pale copy of you here; something to manage your demesne almost as well as you would, allowing others to think you are here, rather than there, and to act as bait for any would-be assassins."

Looking around - under Arcane Sight, See Invisibility, and taking ten on a Spot check (for a 52)

Cogidubnus
2011-03-14, 08:20 AM
Typhus

'Yes, a simulation would be useful, as least to support my priests. They form a very efficient bureaucracy,'

I don't remember putting anything you'd detect with True Seeing in the castle. Or indeed, many sneaky things at all. It's a pretty standard castle, rather than a wizard's grotto.
And a Simulacra would help the priests, but I have a nice collection of followers to organise things here most of the time if we can't afford the resources.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-14, 08:34 AM
Stitches notices the odd looking elf scanning the room, but decides not to grant it more than a cursory glance - there isn't anything that presents a real threat here, so she's content to wait.

Sure, let's do it. Anything particular I need to know about it or should I just go in and start wrecking things?

Combat stats:
HP 936/936
AC 106 (touch 60 flat footed 93) SR 77
DR 18/epic, adamantine and chaotic
Saves 62/48/44 (70/56/52 vs spells)
140' move 280' fly (average)
Regeneration 9/acid
Senses: Blindsight 70' Tremorsense 60' Darkvision 60'
Passive spot and listen: 47
Evasion, mettle, 20% displacement
Immune to: Acid, fire, electricity, sonic, frost, fear, mind-affecting spells and abilities, ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain.
Automatically reflects any ranged attack she is aware of.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-14, 04:57 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi nods, and suits actions to words; first casting a quick spell to enhance her skill, then grabbing the rod at her belt and muttering a prayer of power to make the copy. In a moment, a very good likeness of Typhus appears amidst the party.

She then gives the fake-Typhus a simple order:
"Obey the real Typhus, except where doing so would conflict with orders I give you, and make no attempt to avoid receiving orders from either of us."

Belyb then turns to the real Typhus, and says"You now have a slave copy of yourself. Do note that it does not really approach your own strength, and that it cannot repair itself... but it should fool the majority."

Belyb then turns to the rest, and says "If anyone else would like such a distraction, you'll need to wait for another day - I can't do that often."

Step 1: Cast Divine Insight, for +15 to a skill check sometime within a reasonable length of time (standard action)
Step 2: Wield Rod of Excellent Magic (Move action)
Step 3: Cast Miracle(Simulacrum), getting rid of the material components with Ignore Material Components, and getting rid of the XP component by using the Rod of Excellent Magic (it's only 1/day). Could safely create up to a 20 HD simulacrum at no cast that way, by the way - which means a 40 HD base critter - to make a copy of Typhus. Taking 10 on the Disguise check, using the +15 from Divine Insight, for a Spot DC to notice the difference of 49. (Standard action)
Step 4: Put Rod of Excellent Magic away (Move action)

Resources checked off my character sheet. Takes two standard actions, and two moves - two rounds, if you're tracking time. All resources expended are daily resources - spell slots, and an invocation of a 1/day item.

Although I have no idea how to do the actual build for the copy....

THEChanger
2011-03-14, 09:33 PM
"A very interesting trick, my lady. One that may prove useful in the future." Mordaci's helm covered his face most of the time, but even behind the mask, his grin was evident. "As to where we begin, Lord Typhus, Savolara sounds like a good place. I say we set out as soon as possible. Offer them one chance to surrender and then when they don't, we crush them like bugs." With this he flexes his hands, and the divnine energy powering his suit glows around them. This would be fun. It had been some time since he had really cut loose and attacked something. He had been so busy searching for the Blade of the Fallen City.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-15, 01:32 AM
Why ask for surrender first? I propose three of us find seperate cities and run around killing people while the fourth demands surrender after a few hours of carnage. They'll know that every second they waste in negotiations another score of their fellow citizens will die, should make surrender nice and quick.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 02:37 AM
Typhus

Typhus laughs at this suggestion, a booming, creepy sound.
'They'll start running as soon as I show my face. They haven't forgotten the butchery I hit their army with before my coronation, and that was just me.'

Jack_Simth
2011-03-15, 07:04 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi turns towards Stiches, and replies to his suggestion "Ah, but every individual you slay in that manner is another person who isn't under your thumb... and who can no longer produce more children to eventually join My Queen. Sure, slaughter's fun... but when the goal is conquering, you're reducing the value of the prize in doing so. Sure, some culling needs to happen to get them to go along with it. Hmm... Maybe if we just kept it to the males, leaving the females alone... after all, a male can impregnate more than one female at a time, but a female can only have one pregnancy at a time... just make sure not to kill all the males, OK?"

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 03:27 PM
Typhus

"Here's a suggestion. We got to the Duke, you posing as members of my diplomatic entourage, to negotiate a change in the terms of the tribute he is currently paying, and once we are within his throne room, we seal it, dominate him and...remove...any witnesses. Then we force him to name me his heir and he can have an accident."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-15, 05:04 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi shakes her head "While we could do that, it wouldn't work. Even ignoring the assorted defenses against it, domination is too obvious. Given a bit of time, pretty much anyone can tell if someone's dominated, and their mind is not their own. This keeps people from taking over countries simply by Dominating the king, quite simply. You see, for the most part, a king's power is not his own - when it comes down to it, with most kings, their only power is that everyone chooses to obey them. Now, if we could get your copy over there to dominate the neighboring king, reshape your copy to look like the neighboring king, and keep the neighboring king on ice somewhere for questioning, *that* could work... assuming they aren't screening for transmutations. If they're screening for those, we'd pretty much need to simply copy the King outright, keep the copy away for the hour or so it'll take for the residual magics to fade, and then pull the switcharoo. We'll still want the prior king on ice somewhere, though, in case they've got any such effects running."

"How hard is it to arrange for a reasonably private audience with the neighboring rulers? I could always possess one of your diplomats and then switch hosts once we're away from prying eyes... assuming our target isn't overly strong-willed, nor warded against such things."

She's being quite serious here, by the way - per the Sense Motive Skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm)

Sense Enchantment

You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities. (Emphasis added)

As Sense Motive is usable untrained, this means anyone with a Wis score of 1 or higher has a chance at detecting Domination (Wis of 1 is -5 modifier; vs. DC 15, means they need a 20). Sure, it's technically Try Again: No, but still....

Cogidubnus
2011-03-16, 12:52 PM
Typhus

"I could arrange a private meeting very easily. It's amazing the degree of sway you get from destroying an army single-handed...Would it permanently harm the person you're possessing? I don't mind, I simply need to know how valuable a host to give you."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-16, 04:43 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi shrugs, and says "Not unless they've got some form of pre-existing mental condition, no. The biggest requirements for the ... transportation... being that the person needs to be one who'd reasonably ask for, and be granted, such a thing, and that the person be sufficiently prepared to be able to walk out as expected after the switch."

Cogidubnus
2011-03-16, 04:48 PM
Typhus

"How about my prophet, Ashmael? He will gladly undertake the task, and is known as one of my most trusted representatives. We could wait hidden in the wings in case of emergencies."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-16, 05:20 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi nods, and says "It should work. It might help if I watch him for a day or two first - after all, if I'm going to pretend to be Ashmael while wearing his skin, I need to have a rough idea of how he'll act."

"So, does anyone have any further suggestions, or are we ready to start actual preparations?"

"In the meanwhile, though, it'd be rather awkward to have two copies of you running around, Typhus, so..."

Belyb turns to the simulacrum, and gives it an order "Go get dressed up like the real Typhus is now, and come back." Belyb then waits as the simulacrum completes the order, getting himself all dressed up in Typhus' finery. When the fake Typhus returns, an almost-perfect mirror of the real one, Belyb gives it her last order of the day "Suppress your magical defenses for a short while, and fully accept the next spell I cast at you." the ghostly fey then casts a spell at the fake Typhus, causing it to shrink down into a small gem sitting on the floor. She then nods at the real Typhus, and says "Break it when you want your slave again."

Edited in collapsing the simulacrum.

Mechanics of this:
Order Simulacrum to lower SR and voluntarily give up his saves vs. the Shades spell - so it both affects him 100% (voluntarily failed Will save), bypasses SR (he lowered it), and puts him in the gem (voluntarily failed Will save again).
Use Shades to duplicate Trap the Soul, producing a shadow-gem which (when broken) will release the Simulacrum.

THEChanger
2011-03-18, 06:19 PM
Mordaci eyes the shadowy gem laying on the ground. His allies in this endeavor were powerful. It was possible their power exceeded his own. No, it was very likely their power exceeded his own, even with two of the three Unweavers. While he trusted Typhus(mostly), Mordaci would have to watch the other two closely. "Yes, that does sound like a good plan. Stealthy, swift, and without much chance of casualties. However, a contingency should be put in place, I think, in case we are discovered. We are, after all, four of the most powerful beings on this plane. If any one of us should be seen around the capital of this Savolara their security will be placed on highest alert. Which, while not necessarily dangerous for us, does put the stealthy portion of the plan at risk."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-18, 06:37 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi shrugs, and says "It is actually riskier - for me, at least - than you might think; while yes, I'll be attempting to take over the neighboring king when he's essentially alone, there are often countermeasures against such things in place, and we may not have the option of the easy road. Additionally, the meeting will likely take place inside the neighbor's fortress - it wouldn't be all that difficult for him to set up an ambush for 'the ambassador' - which would get me caught in the ambush as well ... assuming he doesn't mind starting a war with Typhus."

"As to the rest... if you don't mind delaying a few days before we put this into motion, I can copy the rest of you as well, and our copies can make public appearances here while we fulfill our plans. Additionally, it's not really that hard to change the appearance of the group for a day or so. We don't need to look like ourselves while we do this."

"Feeling better about the plan?"

She's referencing Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm). Duplicatable by Miracle, if someone else doesn't have easier access to it.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-19, 08:05 AM
Typhus

"I doubt the Duke will wish to start a war with me. I've crushed his army easily enough once before. I can also provide us with a variety of magically-induced disguises if I need to.
If we are all willing, I will call for Ashmael so that you may meet and study him."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-23, 08:00 PM
With nobody seeming to have anything else to add, Belyb Analuema Dinidi starts putting the plan into motion - shadowing Ashmael to learn his habits, and slowly making copies of the rest of the team, even setting them up with mundane copies of the real version's equipment... then ordering them to follow the original's orders, in the same phrasing she did with Typhus, and locking them up in a shadow gem and letting their originals claim them for later use. After a few days of this, Belyb asks Typhus to make the request, and takes over Ashmael's skin.

It's been a few days, so I'm moving things along, now.

As to the equipment: Funny thing: Fabricate has the original materials listed as a material component - which BAD gets to ignore. So she can make non-magical stuff without the base materials, by duplicating Fabricate with Miracle - taking a moment to cast Divine Insight first, so that she can take ten and make rather intricate stuff (10 taking ten, +6 Int, +15 Divine Insight = passes DC 31). We want the copies to be convincing, after all.

Oh yes, and everyone needs to write up their copy. Including me - how do we work LA? I figure I can just drop class levels until they match, but Simulacrum is based on hit dice... eh, I'll just guess at something and post it OOC in a little while. Let me know if I get it horribly wrong.

Ajadea
2011-03-23, 08:47 PM
Over the last four days, you have each been copied, and your copies have been armed with exact (mundane) copies of your equipment. Belyb Analuema Dinidi excepted, you cannot tell the differences yourself without the aid of magic. Every feature and all its flaws down to the last split end, every piece of equipment duplicated with only minor exceptions, all stored in a gem that fits in your fist.

And now it is the fifth day. Undisguised, you will be known. Belyb wears the skin of Ashmael, prophet of Typhus. Typhus himself is feared in Savolara, but also respected.

The graft-covered half-dragon troll known only as Stitches, and Mordaci Lifesbane, chosen of Vedakar, are legends in Savolara. Neither of them have particularly good reputations there, however, and so disguises may be warranted. A mage stands by, ready to teleport you all to the gates of the Duke's castle at the command of any one of you.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-23, 09:21 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi, wearing the skin of Ashmael, glances at those assembled, and asks "Any last-minute preparations?"

Oh yes, and I've made my Simulacrum (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=285247)'s sheet. I left LA intact (as Simulacrums really only change hit dice, not LA, when used on other critters), removed the effects of items, and re-calculated spells per day and bonus spells. I also cut the Gloura's Bardic spellcasting from 7th to 3rd, as it seems like it'd be based on HD. Kindly let me know if I didn't do it right - the Simulacrum spell is not particularly well-defined on what it does.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 02:22 PM
Typhus

"Stitches, Mordecai, would you rather be polymorphed into your disguises? Might help you stay unrecognised. You can choose what form you take, as long as it's not too conspicuous."

Polymorph Any Object makes an excellent disguise-creator.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-24, 04:39 PM
Still wearing Ashmael like a garment, Belyb Analuema Dinidi shakes her head and says "Not polymorphic magic; illusions only. If something unexpected crops up, we'll need everyone in fighting trim. Are you familiar with spell Veil? I mean, it'd also help if you could forge a proper Telepathic Bond for tactical communications, but we can't have everything."

Also: You've got a sharply limited number of spells per day, Typhus - Veil is one casting for the entire party, vs. Polymorph Any Object, at one casting per character. You'll need a Disguise check, sure, but you'd need that for Polymorph Any Object anyway.

Oh yes, and a quick link to Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) for reference.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 04:56 PM
Typhus

"I can easily manage a Veil between us. I will also place a protective ward over each of you, so I am aware if you come into danger. I cannot easily forge a telepathic bond, as I cannot think of a way of doing it for everyone with my limited supplies of magic, but if you are protected by my ward and within 300ft of me we may communicate telepathically, which will be instantaneous and discrete." Typhus focuses for a moment, the illusion forming under his concentration, followed by several blessings from him to protect his compatriots.

I get 2 PMA a day as Balor SLAs. I get a lot of SLAs.
Casting Magic Circle Versus Good on each party member, casting Dark Foresight on each party member (so now the whole party is never surprised if within 300ft of me). Each has a 270 minute duration and he'll recast them on everyone just as they're about to run out.
Casting Veil on the party apart from Belyb. Making us all look like members of a diplomatic entourage, but no one specific, so no Disguise check needed (I could get a result of 38, guaranteed, but all it takes is one maxed spot check to penetrate that.)

Jack_Simth
2011-03-24, 05:01 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi dances away from the Magic Circle effect, trying to avoid getting it on her host, and explains "Need to avoid that one getting close to our target. It prevents what we're trying to do if he's within ten feet of the source, you see. A Protection vs. Good spell would be fine, but a Magic Circle will cause problems."

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 05:03 PM
Typhus

I didn't think of that, hold on."

Typhus dismisses the Magic Circles and replaces them with Protection From Good.

I love having Invocations :smallbiggrin:

THEChanger
2011-03-24, 06:51 PM
Mordaci felt the tingle of arcane energy slidng over his armor. Looking down at his body, he was surprised to find himself, well, not himself. A grin comes across his new face. "Magic is fun. I forget that sometimes. Thank you, Typhus." Fingering the gem in which his double was imprisoned, Mordaci thought through the plan, once more searching it for any flaws. Finding none, he nodded. "I think we are ready. Let us make our first conquest."

OOC: I've statted up my Simulacrum (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=285481). One question for Ajadea though. Would my Simulacrum gain the benfits of the Magitech Templar class? Due to it being based on an item, and all.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-24, 08:14 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi snaps Ashmael's fingers, saying "Almost forgot..." and then she spends a Miracle to duplicate a bardic spell, and adds on a simple prayer, as well. She then concentrates a moment, and follows up with the simple prayer again. She then says "Now I'm ready. "

1) Miracle(Glibness) (270 minute duration - that's 4.5 hours)
2) Divine Insight
3) Expend Divine Insight on a Bluff check for the Epic DC 70 "Display False Alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#bluff)". +24 Charisma, +15 Insight (Divine Insight), +30 Glibness = +69 modifier; makes the DC on a roll of 1, so I'm not bothering to actually roll it. She's Lawful Good according to anything that checks alignment. Stays until she changes it or loses consciousness.
4) Cast Divine Insight again, to have the skill boost to use later.

Expended: Four rounds, one 9th level spell slot, two 2nd level spell slots.

And we had time to rest up earlier, so updating daily uses effects.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-25, 09:49 PM
Seeing that everyone seems to have made their preparations, Belyb Analuema Dinidi nods Ashmael's head at the mage in Typhus' employ, and says "It is time."

Over 24 real-time hours with no posts, so I'm moving along...

Ajadea
2011-03-25, 11:16 PM
The mage nods, and speaks a few short, sharp, words of power. Ribbons of black light spin out of his outstretched hands, wrapping around each one of you within a second. With a sound like tearing cloth you are gone pulled through a mockery of the land that folds and stretches to accomodate your travel the ribbons unravel and dissipate releasing you. And you are there.

The gates of Duke Alonar's castle are impressive-for a human duke. Two steel portcullises stand firm in the stone outer wall, faint blue glow showing that they are in some way magic, likely warded against acid at least. Beyond that, a small empty courtyard, a wrought iron gate that glows the same way as the portcullises, and a larger courtyard, this time with people actually in it.

The guards standing on the gatehouse walkway above you notice your arrival almost immediately, and the portcullises open slowly, letting you into the courtyard. A few minutes later, a rather anxious looking adolescent human boy scurries out of the inner courtyard and opens the inner gate for you. He remembers his manners a few seconds later and bows deeply, barely wobbling at all. His straw-colored hair is messy, he is clad in the livery of the Duchy of Savolara [a red tunic, embroided with a black heron vigilant in front of a halberd], and his eyes dart to each of your faces and then back to his boots, where they remain as he leads you to the state room.

The state room is very grand. Very red. It accomodates Typhus and Stitches with ease. The floor is covered with a rug, embroidered with demons and angels locked in combat, white and gold against red and black on a deep blue field. Portraits of dukes long dead line one long wall, and the wall opposite that is an extremely large window looking out onto the large fields of golden wheat that surround the castle. A long glass table stands at the far end of the room, devoid of all decoration, and in the center, there is a rosewood table and eight chairs of the same material, legs all carved to resemble herons. The chairs could pose difficulty, as there is seemingly no way Typhus or Stitches could sit down without breaking the fragile legs. The table is easily big enough for a dozen people to sit at.

The boy gestures weakly for you to sit down. "Um, greetings, honored guests. The duke will be here shortly, and he bade me tell you that you can make yourself comfortable here until his arrival." He bows again and leaves too quickly to be considered polite. The door slams behind him.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-26, 06:01 AM
Typhus

"The man likes red. I've always gone in a little more for black and purple myself, but that's his prerogative. Hmm. Chairs. That's...not going to be very comfortable. I think I'll stand. My legs are still sore from the journey."

Telepathically, he says:
"We're probably being watched, so be careful what you say aloud."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-26, 09:41 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi shrugs Ashmael's shoulders at 'his servant', and says "Eh, they save our lord a modicum of work by sending him the tribute rather than making him come get it himself. We can humor them on the decor... as long as they don't make us wait too long, eh?"
Mentally, Belyb Analuema Dinidi thinks back "Do you think they might have seen us, you know, teleport directly into their receiving area? Such an incredible long walk...."

Cogidubnus
2011-03-26, 09:49 AM
Typhus
"It would not surprise them that we were teleported. I have enough resources under my control for teleporting dignitaries. I am well known for my love of expediency. I think it best to concede how we arrived, and let the Duke think he wins a small victory."

Jack_Simth
2011-03-26, 10:06 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi has Ashmael look around a bit bored, as she thinks back to Typhus "I was actually referring to the 'sore legs from travel' comment, which you immediately followed with 'be careful what you say aloud' for the apparent humor value."

Cogidubnus
2011-03-26, 10:13 AM
Typhus

"If I'm going to be honest...teleportation always gives me the most awfully stiff knees. I don't know why, it just does. The only way I've found to travel at speed without suffering it is a Gate. I wasn't being ironic."

Despite the telepathy, it isn't apparent whether Typhus is covering a slip-up or simply being honest.

THEChanger
2011-03-26, 01:52 PM
Mordaci sqauts down beside on of the chairs, examining the carvings. "Well, our host certainly has an excellent taste in that, M'Lord. The carvings on these chairs are exquisite!" Mentally, Mordaci let out a small snicker. "Well, that's something to note. Possibly linked to your extra-planar origin Typhus? It's not normal for an entity of your stature to remain in the realm of the living for any extended period of time, much less zoom about it with reality-bending magics. But really. Sore knees?"

Jack_Simth
2011-03-27, 09:35 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi, wearing Ashmael's skin, waits patiently.

Ajadea
2011-03-27, 03:22 PM
The Duke arrives a few minutes later, followed by six guards wielding halberds and clad in full plate. He is a slightly overweight man overdressed in blackworked red silk and wears thick-soled shoes, perhaps to mask the fact that he is not a very tall man either. His skin is pale, probably a sign of either too much makeup or a life that does not involve all that much physical activity. His coronet is studded with several large rubies, but beyond that, it is nothing more than a gold band. He inclines his head, not quite bowing, and sits at the head of the table, guards standing a little ways away. "Greetings, and good fortunes upon you all. What brings you and your entourage here, priest Ashmael?" he asks.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-27, 03:37 PM
Still wearing Ashmael's skin, Belyb Analuema Dinidi nods in acknowledgement and answers with her concocted lie, maintaining the formalities observed when watching Ashmael over the past few days "It has come to My Lord's attention that you have within your realm something he wants, and that it would be slightly more cost-effective to negotiate it's delivery to us as part of next years tribute than it would be to simply take it by force. However, this is not an item you would like others to know you have, so it would be best if we were to negotiate the exact portion of next years tribute it is worth to My Lord in private."

Bluff Check: Burning the other Divine Insight from earlier: [roll0]
(that's +24 Charisma mod, +15 Divine Insight, +30 duplicated Glibness, and a d20 for the actual roll)

Cogidubnus
2011-03-27, 04:04 PM
Typhus

Typhus forces his illusive self to bow stiffly from the waste, but you hear a mental growl over your telepathic link.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-27, 04:36 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi pushes a soothing thought back to Typhus "We're stealing his entire country, and his free will, from him. If this works out, it'll be going from 'tribute' to 'taxes' - really, I just needed to say something plausible to get him alone."

Cogidubnus
2011-03-27, 04:51 PM
Typhus

"I completely agree with your choice of distraction, well done. But it infuriates me that carrying the charade through involves being observant of social niceties to a man who I could literally tread under my feet.
But that might draw unwanted attention."

Ajadea
2011-03-28, 11:36 PM
Duke Alonar nods stiffly, his eyes seeming to glaze over slightly. "Very well," he says, voice flat. He turns his head slightly and addresses the guards. "Maren, stay. The rest of you wait outside. No one enters this room." The guards salute in unison. "Yes, sir!" Five file out, and the stocky one stays in the room, motionless.

The Duke nods and turns back to you, fidgeting slightly. "Maren is the head of my personal guard. I do not keep secrets from him. You may speak freely, without worry of bringing shame upon me and my kin. What does your king want from me?"

Cogidubnus
2011-03-29, 08:07 AM
Typhus

'Should we silence the room and kill the head of security? Or maybe create a veil of darkness, if we can give a reason for doing so, and you could then possess the Duke unobserved?'

Jack_Simth
2011-03-29, 05:39 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi nods Ashmael's eyebrows, and gives a short verbal inquiry to stall a moment while she pushes a thought back to Typhus mentally. Verbally, she says "A fully trusted guard? Quite the rarity." while her mind relays to Typhus "Quick mod: You Silence the room, we kill the guard, and then I chain the King's soul. We clean up, and duplicate the guard later. At least I'm fairly sure nobody else is chaining the king magically. On three?"

THEChanger
2011-03-29, 07:24 PM
Mordaci remains the epitome of decorum, politely waiting for Beylb-sorry, Lord Ashmael-to begin proper negotiation. On the outside of course.
On the inside, he was already planning his first move. A quick blast to the chest should put the guard out of commision, or at least move him far enough away from the door to prevent escape.
"One."

Ajadea
2011-03-30, 08:20 PM
The Duke seems completely oblivious to your telepathic conversation. It is a wonder that he still holds this position at all. "If I cannot trust him with a little secret, why would I trust him to command my personal guard?"

Cogidubnus
2011-03-31, 04:48 AM
Typhus sends a mental nod of approval at the plan. Annosia rises from her seat and moves across to pretend to whisper to Typhus, covering the fact that she is reverting to her natural shape beneath the illusion.

Typhus readies an action to Silence the area, Annosia readies an action to use Dance of Death to charge and full attack the guard, which will hopefully do a horrendous amount of damage. Both acting on the count of 3.

Jack_Simth
2011-04-01, 05:52 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi finishes the count mentally as she attempts to keep the King and his guard occupied, saying "I suppose that is right." while mentally increasing the count with "Two", and continuing with "Regardless, some of the traders coming through our land" and simply sheds her skin mid-sentance as she pushes "Three" through the net, and moves to occupy the King.

Hopefully we can get a surprise round out of that... as it takes a standard action to release a host. But regardless, time for Init.

[roll0]

Belyb Analuema Dinidi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280749)
HP 194/194, DR 10/Cold Iron, Fly 60 (perfect), Init+9, Material AC 75 (T 67, FF 66), Ethereal AC 79 (T 67 FF 70), Incorporeal on the material, Saves +69/+76/+72

THEChanger
2011-04-01, 06:46 PM
The false body Mordaci wore smiled, lifted a hand, and shot a blast out towards the lone guard. A pity, that Maren was trustworthy enough to be left in the room. A waste of life. No matter now.

Mordaci Lifesbane (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=278453)
Male LE Human Magitech Templar//Cleric, Level 27, Init +5, HP 275/275, Speed 40/90 fly perfect
AC 29, Touch 15, Flat-footed 24, Fort +15, Ref +13, Will +27, Base Attack Bonus +20/+15/+10/+5
Power Fist +25/+20/+15/+10 (1d12, X4)
Touch Attack, Bull Rush Repulsor Ray +25/+20/+15/+10 (10d4+3, -)
+5 Full Plate (+13 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 21, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 28, Wis 30, Cha 15
Condition None

Initiative-[roll0]
To Hit with Repulsor Ray-[roll1]
Damage-[roll2]
I gonna assume a 44 hits. Maren needs to roll a Fort Save, and an opposed Strength Check. If...she? makes the Fort save, half damage, no Bull Rush. My Strength Check for the Bull Rush is equal to the damage dealt(20).

Ajadea
2011-04-01, 08:04 PM
Maren barely seems to flinch at the damage, and is not pushed into the wall. Duke Alonar is not nearly so calm, nearly falling backwards in his haste to get away, and in the end, he doesn't go anywhere.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative and actions from Stitches, Annosia, and Typhus please. you did in fact get surprise round.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-02, 06:02 AM
As everybody starts to move, Typhus frowns, quashing the vibrations emanating from them by sheer force of will. Annosia tears across the floor, moving the attack the bodyguard.

Typhus casts Silence, centred on the Duke. Annosia uses Dance of Death to move and full-attack the bodyguard (he is human, I assume?). If that requires her to use her Round 1 action, she'll use the surprise round to Haste herself.

I'm assuming he doesn't activate the Magebane or Unholy property of Annosia's weapons. I haven't included the +1 to attack from Haste either.
Attacks:
[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] acid damage.
[roll3] for [roll4] + [roll5] acid damage.
[roll6] for [roll7] + [roll8] acid damage.
[roll9] for [roll10] + [roll11] acid damage.

[roll12] for [roll13] + [roll14] acid damage.
[roll15] for [roll16] + [roll17] acid damage.
[roll18] for [roll19] + [roll20] acid damage.
[roll21] for [roll22] + [roll23] acid damage.

[roll24] for [roll25] + [roll26] acid damage.
[roll27] for [roll28] + [roll29] acid damage.
[roll30] for [roll31] + [roll32] acid damage.
[roll33] for [roll34] + [roll35] acid damage.

[roll36] for [roll37] + [roll38] acid damage.
[roll39] for [roll40] + [roll41] acid damage.
[roll42] for [roll43] + [roll44] acid damage.
[roll45] for [roll46] + [roll47] acid damage.

[roll48] for [roll49] + [roll50] acid damage.
[roll51] for [roll52] + [roll53] acid damage.
[roll54] for [roll55] + [roll56] acid damage.
[roll57] for [roll58] + [roll59] acid damage.

[roll60] for [roll61] + [roll62] acid damage.
[roll63] for [roll64] + [roll65] acid damage.
[roll66] for [roll67] + [roll68] acid damage.
[roll69] for [roll70] + [roll71] acid damage.

Goonthegoof
2011-04-02, 10:23 AM
Stitches shrugs and walks over to the Duke, grabbing him in a bear hug.

[roll0] initiative

Move action is moving towards the duke, standard action is grabbing him.

[roll1] touch attack
[roll2] grapple check

Ajadea
2011-04-02, 09:54 PM
Initiative Order: (Turn: Stitches, Belyb, Typhus)
Stitches 26
Belyb 23
Typhus 22
Duke Alonar 18
Annosia 14
Mordaci 10
Maren 4
Ashmael 1

Stitches reaches out, grabs the terrified Duke, and holds him fast as Belyb sheds Ashmael's body. He lurchs forward and grips the table for support. Annosia and Typhus act as one, hands and mouths moving at the same time, so that the Duke's screams and the sounds of battle cease exactly at the moment Annosia seems to slither out of the timestream as percieved on the Material Plane. Maren shakes his/her head and seems to be raising his/her hand in a spellcasting gesture, but not nearly fast enough to prevent Stitches, Belyb, and Typhus from acting....

Jack_Simth
2011-04-02, 11:32 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi proceeds with the expected plan, ducking through the floor to reach the Duke without anyone being able to interfere, and attempting to posses him from underground. Through the telepathic net, she says "Oh yes, and if this fails, we might prevent a war by just not getting killed, and claiming your prophet got possessed... as long as you don't blow your cover."

Swift: Minor Shapeshift, for 27 temp HP.
Move: Travel to the duke, through the flooring.
Standard: Possess the duke - Will save DC 39 to resist.

Belyb Analuema Dinidi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280749)
HP 194+27/194, DR 10/Cold Iron, Fly 60 (perfect), Init+9, Material AC 75 (T 67, FF 66), Ethereal AC 79 (T 67 FF 70), Incorporeal on the material, Saves +69/+76/+72

Cogidubnus
2011-04-04, 11:24 AM
Typhus concentrates on the bodyguard, trying to annihilate him from existence, before moving to stand next to him and the Duke, drawing his Fullblade to wield too handed as he does.

Casting Destruction as an invocation on Maren, Fort save DC 34 or be destroyed. If he saves [roll0] damage.

Goonthegoof
2011-04-07, 12:36 AM
Stitches continues to hold the duke still, holding him with her middle arm and using the other two to draw her spiked chain.

Maintaining grapple: Screwed up the roll, but he couldn't escape even if I got a one so I guess it doesn't matter.

Ajadea
2011-04-07, 01:12 AM
Maren dies in a flurry of massively oversized swords, Annosia's copied blades cutting through flesh, armor, and bone to turn the supposedly elite guard into red paste against the wall.

The Duke squirms harder, flailing rather ineffectually in Stitches' grasp. His pale pasty face has managed to go even closer to bone-white, and his eyes are wide. Belyb's attempt to possess the Duke slams straight into a wall of light, flaring from nowhere into a cylinder around him for an instant, then disappearing as quickly as it appeared.

Ashmael casts a spell at the Duke. Wind seems to suck at him for a moment, and a nimbus of bright lights, red and white, seems to lash at the wind. Both effects fade in an instant, but Ashmael looks displeased, and he steps backwards, towards the door.

PC's turn (Maren is dead, Duke Alonar is being ineffectual)

Jack_Simth
2011-04-07, 07:06 AM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi readies herself to try again as she pushes a few thoughts through the telepathic network "Please make sure to cover his mouth when you pin him, so he can't activate items, and would someone please Dispel him so I can try that again?"

Free: Chat a bit mentally.
Standard: Ready an action to Psionicially Dominate the duke (for 1 day/level) with my psi-like ability to do so once someone pulls out a Dispel effect. Will save DC 48, SR penetration (if applicable): [roll0]

HP 194+27/194, DR 10/Cold Iron, Fly 60 (perfect), Init+9, Material AC 75 (T 67, FF 66), Ethereal AC 79 (T 67 FF 70), Incorporeal on the material, Saves +69/+76/+72

THEChanger
2011-04-07, 08:25 PM
"It's been awhile since I had to counter other magics, but I'll give it a shot." Approaching the struggling Duke, a cruel grin crossed Mordaci's face. "Now now, Duke, there's no need to struggle. This won't hurt a bit. What comes after, well, I can't make any promises about that." Placing his hand where the barrier of light had previously appeared, Mordaci let a pulse of pure magic flow through his hand, attempting to shock the barrier into submission.
I have a Dispel Magic prepared for today. It's a bit low-level, but hopefully it will take care of whatever that is.
Dispel Check: [roll0]

Cogidubnus
2011-04-17, 09:40 AM
Typhus

"Dispelling enemy magics? That's something I was bred for."

Typhus also focusses a surge of energy into breaking down the Duke's defences, certain that nothing can oppose his will.

Casting Greater Dispel Magic as an SLA, from one of my 27 daily uses as a Balor. Caster level check: [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-04-17, 12:30 PM
Typhus's spell rips rather half-heartedly at the nimbus of light as Mordaci's seems to cut into it with only slightly less power. However, the light deflects both attacks. Whoever cast the spell must have been quite powerful indeed...

Goonthegoof
2011-04-18, 10:43 AM
Stiches continues to hold the duke, getting mildly annoyed at the light show in front of her.

Drop the shield or I'll break you, little man.

Grapple:[roll0]

Ajadea
2011-04-18, 11:55 AM
Duke Alonar's mouth moves in fright, and he shakes his head as much as he can. Which isn't much.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-18, 12:15 PM
Typhus

"We're in no rush, I vote we sit here and work on shattering that field until it gives out. Might we worth stripping him of any potentially magical items, though."

On his turn, Typhus will dispel again.
[roll0]

Jack_Simth
2011-04-18, 05:25 PM
Belyb Analuema Dinidi says little, continuing to ready a mental assault for when the curious shield goes down.

Readying an action for Psionic Dominate (fully augmented to Days/level, able to affect basically anything not outright immune, and a whole lot of wasted targets to get the DC up: Will DC 48 Negates) for when that silly Protection effect falls to a Dispel. We've got a rather lot of trys, nobody's listening, hopefully nobody's watching, and anyone who would have been expecting to talk to the king later isn't expecting to talk to him soon, as he was going into negotiations, which often take a long time - so we shouldn't be interrupted, theoretically.

HP 194/194, DR 10/Cold Iron, Fly 60 (perfect), Init+9, Material AC 75 (T 67, FF 66), Ethereal AC 79 (T 67 FF 70), Incorporeal on the material, Saves +69/+76/+72

THEChanger
2011-05-02, 08:07 PM
"This grows old. I have no means to aid our friend in removing the shield. May I hit him? Perhaps some aggressive persuassion would aid the Duke in reaching the right decision about his pretty shield?" Mordaci's foot tapped impatiently. While they had some time before the guards returned, he was getting anxious, and desired results quicker. He was contemplating lowering the spell which changed his form, just to scare the Duke a little. Perhaps if he knew who he was dealing with, the Duke would be more likely to cooperate. Giving the shield a once over, Mordaci attempted to figure out exactly what they were dealing with. If he could identify the spell, he might have the knowledge to counter it.

Well, since I only have one Dispel prepared today, let's throw out a Spellcraft check, see if I can't find a more direct counter for this. I suspect it is Magic Circle Against Evil, but I don't know if that has a dispelling counter persay.
[roll0]

Ajadea
2011-05-02, 08:24 PM
Mordaci

If you're not mistaken, it's a protection from evil, that spell that every caster ever knows. The only problem really is that those dispels were pitiful, and the caster was strong.