Speed 0 ft. (0 squares)
Initiative: -5
Armor Class 21 (-2 size, -5 Dex, +18 natural), touch 3, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple +9/+12
Attack —
Full-Attack —
Space 15 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Quills
Special Qualities Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, porcupine tree, vulnerability to fire
Saves Fort +16 Ref — Will +0
Abilities Str Ø, Dex Ø, Con 27, Int Ø, Wis 2, Cha 1
Skills —
Feats Improved ToughnessB
Environment Temperate forests
Organization Solitary, pair, group (3-40), or forest (41-200)
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure None
Alignment Always neutral
Advancement 13-20 HD (Huge); 21-28 HD (Gargantuan); 29-40 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment —

Porcupine trees appear to be normal trees, but upon closer inspection, porcupines hang in the leaves, dropping down periodically on creatures that get too close to the tree.

A porcupine tree is 30 feet tall, 3 feet in diameter, weighing about 6,500 pounds.

Combat

A porcupine tree will drop porcupines on its foes, which attack viciously. If a creature gets close enough, the tree will release a volley of quills, or, if the creature is within melee range, it will instead grow quills from its bark, creating a dangerous shield.

Porcupine Tree (Ex)
A porcupine tree grows porcupines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9177087&postcount=1) that serve the tree indefinitely. Every day, a porcupine tree produces 1d4 porcupines, up to a maximum of five times its Hit Dice. These porcupines will attack anything that threatens the porcupine tree, and are all released at the same time, swarming enemies. After the danger subsides, the remaining porcupines return to the tree to hang.

Quills (Ex)
As a standard action, the porcupine tree can release quills, shooting them 60 feet in every direction, dealing 4d4 damage to all creatures except porcupines and itself. This can be done only once every 1d4+1 rounds. Alternatively, also as a standard action, the porcupine tree can release quills, but keep them just on the exterior of its bark. Any creature attacking in melee with less than 15 feet of reach takes 2d3 damage plus the attacking creature's Strength modifier (minimum 0) for each attack it makes against the tree. This shield is lost after the porcupine tree takes 25 damage, at which point it must use another standard action to regain its quill shield.

Adventure Hooks

A local villager claims that he's seen his pet porcupine that he buried after its death twenty years ago growing on a tree.

A tree that has been in the center of a city for hundreds of years has suddenly started growing porcupines and dropping them on people's heads when they approach.

A group of woodsmen entered a forest of porcupine trees a few days ago and hasn't returned.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 01:19 AM
Temotei, I must ask a very important question:

Does a half-dragon porcupine tree generate half-dragon porcupines?

Temotei
2011-03-14, 01:21 AM
Temotei, I must ask a very important question:

Does a half-dragon porcupine tree generate half-dragon porcupines?

I'm going to go with the easy answer on this one: It can if you want it to. :smalltongue:

I would certainly make it so and improvise on the challenge rating.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 01:22 AM
I'm going to go with the easy answer on this one: It can if you want it to. :smalltongue:

I would certainly make it so and improvise on the challenge rating.

It should also be noted that a half-dragon porcupine tree has wings and a fly speed. Same think with half-dragon violet fungus.

I wish I was making this stuff up. I really do.

Temotei
2011-03-14, 01:23 AM
It should also be noted that a half-dragon porcupine tree has wings and a fly speed. Same think with half-dragon violet fungus.

I wish I was making this stuff up. I really do.

It's glorious, isn't it? :smallcool:

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 01:29 AM
Other than my template based silliness, it looks good, but over-CR'd. Parties start flying at level five. This thing cannot move.

Temotei
2011-03-14, 01:43 AM
Other than my template based silliness, it looks good, but over-CR'd. Parties start flying at level five. This thing cannot move.

I suppose. Does CR 4 or 5 sound better? With that change, how much do you think the Hit Dice should drop?

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 01:51 AM
I suppose. Does CR 4 or 5 sound better? With that change, how much do you think the Hit Dice should drop?

I'd actually only lower the hit dice a little and instead lower the damage, maybe give the quills a refresh period; make this thing a giant soak-block that the party has to chip through while holding off porcupines.

Temotei
2011-03-14, 02:10 AM
I'd actually only lower the hit dice a little and instead lower the damage, maybe give the quills a refresh period; make this thing a giant soak-block that the party has to chip through while holding off porcupines.

How does it look now?

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 02:12 AM
How does it look now?

Looks like a great candidate for a boss-fight against a CR 3-4 party :D