PDA

View Full Version : Guess the number of the new book

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 10:12 AM
I do not want to spam the main-thread which is for more useful discussions. I asked myself "what would the number of the new book be"?

The "real" books (story + bonus strips) start at "1" and increment by one each from there.
The "prequel" books start at "0" and decrement by one each from there.

But the new book is neither story nor prequel. So how will the numbering work? Will it be "-2"? Or will it have no number at all? Or will the numbering start a new row with "A"?

TimelordSimone
2011-03-14, 10:25 AM
So, my asking about it in the main thread was spamming? :smallfrown:
:smalltongue:

I think '-2' would be saved for the next prequel book. Since this one is non-canon 'A' (or something) seems most likely to me.

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 10:29 AM
So, my asking about it in the main thread was spamming? :smallfrown:

I did not even see that. ;)

But I agree that making it -2 would probably be a bit crude, as it's really not canon or "in the line" and would not really fit.

Now, the problem is: How do I put it in my shelf if Rich opens another dimension with "A" or something? I cannot put it above or below the other books, no?

Shale
2011-03-14, 10:35 AM
It will be Volume Wombat.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-14, 10:41 AM
Now, the problem is: How do I put it in my shelf if Rich opens another dimension with "A" or something? I cannot put it above or below the other books, no?
Looks like part of the book is set on the boat ride to the Western Continent, so it'd fit nicely between books four and five in that case.

Yendor
2011-03-14, 10:55 AM
The book shall be numbered i.

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-14, 10:57 AM
My guess is something like i (EDIT: ^Great minds think alike.), theta, or nothing at all.

Now what about the colours? This turns the "book where Belkar dies will be green and have him on the cover" idea on its head! Or something.

Yes, there are other shades of green, but as far as the masses are concerned the only colours are white, red, pink, brown, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and black! :smalleek: And sometimes indigo.

(But in all seriousness, now I'm betting on brown or beige for the current book. Earth tones, people, we're doing earth tones.)

SaintRidley
2011-03-14, 11:05 AM
i seems like a good option.

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 11:19 AM
Looks like part of the book is set on the boat ride to the Western Continent, so it'd fit nicely between books four and five in that case.

So, it would be to find out WHERE exactly take the stories part, calculate in somehow that Dragon magazine does not take part anywhere and call it like... 2.6 or 2.8 or 2.3?

But as for opening a new dimension: I totally vote for 1i, if you want to get fancy, you can pick the book it fits the most to and call it 3 + 1i (or whatever), to make a real complex number.

Pun on the real complex number is intended.

grimbold
2011-03-14, 11:21 AM
or maybe...
it doesnt have a number at all?

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 11:25 AM
Possible. But

a) boring
and
b) it would make other non-canon books impossible, as that other book would also lack any numbering.

It's more funny and interesting to make up a new system or just to discuss pointless things. You cannot make a comic where geeks and nerds is a large target audience and the root of it all and not expect them to behave like geeks and nerds. ;)

Could come with infinity as number and any other book would be infinity² etc. Does the board take html-code? Test: ∞ and ∞²

edit: it does. ∞ makes sense as it's "outside of canon", practically within a singularity (and 0 already has been used).

On the other hand: we have a whole lof 1/x still open (and -1/x as well). We could start with 1/0 or 1/2... a whole lot of new nice stuff has popped up in this thread so far!

NerfTW
2011-03-14, 11:32 AM
b) it would make other non-canon books impossible, as that other book would also lack any numbering.

There are plenty of books in series that don't number themselves. I don't see how not having a number makes it impossible to do another book with another title.

But I'm guessing the infinity symbol too.

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 11:40 AM
There are plenty of books in series that don't number themselves. I don't see how not having a number makes it impossible to do another book with another title.

Other books can decide to be boring and lame! Their call! I want creative solutions to things some people do not even identify as "problem".

factotum
2011-03-14, 12:46 PM
I don't think it'll be numbered at all, because it doesn't fit in the same continuity as the other books and giving it a number would just confuse people.

Ancalagon
2011-03-14, 12:48 PM
You got the problem of the thread right away! Figuring out "alternate" means to number is what this is about. So, what do you think will be the "number"?

"Nothing" is a perfectly valid choice, but admittedly also a bit bland.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-14, 12:49 PM
I don't think it'll be numbered at all, because it doesn't fit in the same continuity as the other books and giving it a number would just confuse people.

It won't matter in the long run because it is only going to get one release (no reprints) and will only be available from Ookadook. So who is going to get confused anyways?

Thanatosia
2011-03-14, 12:58 PM
i, the infinity symbol, or X would be the prefered choices I think. I"d hate to see A or no 'number' at all personally. I think i would be best, because its kind of math geeky, and because its non-continuity, the imaginary number has a cool meaning to it. Although I do forsee other OOTS books being made that are not strictly prequels or sequels, I highly doubt Rich would have any reason to do any other non-continuity books that simply 'do not happen' in the cannon, so there would be no conflict with i and anything else he uses to 'number' other non-prequel additional books.

Porthos
2011-03-14, 01:02 PM
The italicized 'i' gets my vote as well.

MoonCat
2011-03-14, 01:18 PM
i, pi, a, A, or something we've never thought of. Any hints Giant?

The Giant
2011-03-14, 03:07 PM
The new book is labeled "D" for "Dragon".

Where you put it on your shelf is a personal decision that I can't make for you. I recommend talking it over with your family.

Porthos
2011-03-14, 03:12 PM
Where you put it on your shelf is a personal decision that I can't make for you. I recommend talking it over with your family.

Since it contains conversations/storytelling between members of the Order on their way to the Western Continent, it obviously goes right after DStP and before Book Five. :smallwink:

fibonacciseries
2011-03-14, 03:44 PM
In honor of the day on which it was announced, it shall be known as Book Pi.

eggynack
2011-03-14, 03:53 PM

Well played. Well played indeed. As for my shelf location, unless another location becomes apparent due to in story events, I'm going to stick it between 0 and 1. It doesn't make too much sense at the bottom or top due to its relatively non-canon nature so the middle is logical. On the other hand I could always make a weird seperate pile to emphasize its out of universeness.

M.A.D
2011-03-14, 04:36 PM
Since it was about the dungeon, maybe 0.5? or something along those lines?

factotum
2011-03-14, 05:23 PM
Since it was about the dungeon, maybe 0.5? or something along those lines?

:smallconfused: Assuming you mean Dorukan's Dungeon, it isn't about that...the Dragon Magazine strips were set in some other dungeon, AFAIK.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-03-14, 07:11 PM
Now what about the colours? This turns the "book where Belkar dies will be green and have him on the cover" idea on its head! Or something.
Well Belkar is still available as a cover character. This one appears to have the heavily-templated snail.

Yeah… wouldn’t want to waste a main character on a book with only one print run.

(But in all seriousness, now I'm betting on brown or beige for the current book. Earth tones, people, we're doing earth tones.)
Indeed.

Careful. You’re gonna lose your cred with the math majors. :smalltongue:

:smallconfused: Assuming you mean Dorukan's Dungeon, it isn't about that...the Dragon Magazine strips were set in some other dungeon, AFAIK.
Yeah, they were set in their own dungeon that has nothing to do with the canon story.

MoonCat
2011-03-14, 08:57 PM

Aww. No fancy interestingness? And I do keep mine in order, and I think I'll be putting it in the front, D,-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... See that '...' Giant? I'm counting on you.

Morquard
2011-03-14, 09:34 PM
The Giant said he made some completely brand new strips for the book as well.
It's quite possible those new strips make the Dragon Magazine comics fit into the comic-timeline at some point, and thats how its numbered.

My guess though is Pi

edit: Bah, didn't even see the Giant post in here, guess its answered already

M.A.D
2011-03-15, 05:02 AM
I didn't see that either o.O So embarrassing...

Ancalagon
2011-03-15, 05:13 AM
Aww. No fancy interestingness? And I do keep mine in order, and I think I'll be putting it in the front, D,-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... See that '...' Giant? I'm counting on you.

Well, if you counted hexadecimal, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, D would make more sense. At as long as "C" is never reached with the normal storybooks. ;)

Hardcore
2011-03-15, 02:06 PM
I recommend talking it over with your family

yeah, you heard him boys and girls:smallbiggrin:
A discusion worthy of nerds big time. Good job.

lothos
2011-03-21, 06:17 AM
The italicized 'i' gets my vote as well.

I realise Rich has already settled the matter (D - fair enough). I loved the idea of i, but since some of it was kind of "after" and "to the side" of books 3 and 4, I was thinking it might be 3+i or 4+i until I saw Rich's post.

We would then have the choice of ordering the books by the modulus of their number or the angle, according to preference.

Zerg Cookie
2011-03-21, 09:25 AM
Is there even a question of how we put em on our shelf?
1,0,2,-1,3,4 ,D,5...
I mean, you guys do it otherwise? Can there be another order? :smallconfused: