PDA

View Full Version : +4 LA+0 races

Morph Bark
2011-03-14, 01:09 PM
Mongrelfolk get +4 to Con. Orcs get +4 to Strength. Besides these two, are there any other races that get a +4 bonus to any ability score? All I know is that there is some obscure Goblin subrace with +4 Dex, but that's all, and nothing for the mental stats.

arguskos
2011-03-14, 01:10 PM
Do you count Lesser Planetouched? If so, the Ice Para-Genasi (IIRC) gets +4 Wis. The Dust Para-Genasi gets +4 Dex. Dunno about anything for Int or Cha though.

FMArthur
2011-03-14, 01:31 PM
A few LA +0 templates can be useful in creating races with more than +2 to a score.

-Dragonborn from RotD is a template that gives -2 Dex, +2 Con, removes normal racial features and grants its own in their place.
-Magic-Blooded is a template from Dragon #306 that gives -2 Wis +2 Cha as well as a few low-level SLAs. From a balance perspective I'd only allow it if that replaced racial features like Dragonborn does, but as-is that's not really the case.

Thurbane
2011-03-14, 02:46 PM
Aside from the already mentioned Orcs and Mongrelfolk:

Anthro Lizard +4 WIS
Anthro Monkey +4 WIS
Anthro Rat +4 WIS
Anthro Raven +4 WIS
Anthro Weasel +4 WIS
Air Goblin +4 DEX
Krynn Minotaur +4 STR

+6 you say?

Anthro Bat +6 WIS
Anthro Toad +6 WIS
Jermaline +6 DEX, +6 WIS
Muckdweller +6 DEX

Andion Isurand
2011-03-14, 04:17 PM
Magic-Blooded Primordial Dragonborn "Lesser" Half-Giant @ LA +0
(Dragon 306 + Secrets of Xen'drik + Complete Psionic)
-4 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, -2 Wis, +6 Cha

Arctic Dragonborn Arcane Gnome @ LA +0
(Dragon 306 + RotD + Dragon 291)
-2 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha

Shadowleaf
2011-03-14, 04:55 PM
Great Wyrm Dragonwrought Kobold :smallcool:

Desert/Earth Kobolds get +4 Dex, IIRC.

Lans
2011-03-14, 05:03 PM
Arctic Dragonborn Mongrelfolk has +8 con

Urpriest
2011-03-14, 05:08 PM
Magic-Blooded Primordial Dragonborn "Lesser" Half-Giant @ LA +0
(Dragon 306 + Secrets of Xen'drik + Complete Psionic)
-4 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, -2 Wis, +6 Cha

As soon as that guy takes a single level he's LA +1...this amuses me.

Teln
2011-03-14, 05:13 PM
Core-only kobold gives you +(-4) Strength.

LOTRfan
2011-03-14, 05:24 PM
Core-only kobold gives you +(-4) Strength.

I don't think that counts. :smalltongue:

Zaq
2011-03-14, 07:12 PM
Tibbits get +4 DEX while in kitty form.

Qwertystop
2011-03-14, 07:36 PM
As soon as that guy takes a single level he's LA +1...this amuses me.

What, his LA changes when he levels? How does that work? :smallconfused:

Urpriest
2011-03-14, 07:44 PM
What, his LA changes when he levels? How does that work? :smallconfused:

It's a monster class, if I'm reading the plan right. They work a little weird with races without racial HD, but basically the character starts out at LA +0 with one level in a PC class, then the next level is one point of LA and some monster abilities. So second level on the guy has LA +1.

Lans
2011-03-15, 11:07 AM
It's a monster class, if I'm reading the plan right. They work a little weird with races without racial HD, but basically the character starts out at LA +0 with one level in a PC class, then the next level is one point of LA and some monster abilities. So second level on the guy has LA +1.
I think the lesser versions might work a little bit differantly

dextercorvia
2011-03-15, 01:09 PM
I think the lesser versions might work a little bit differantly

There is no Lesser Half-Giant. That is why he put it in quotes. Some people just think you can skip the second level of the racial class. There are some web articles with monster classes that say you don't have to take all of those levels at once. CPsi is fairly clear that you get Class level with some Half-Gianty goodness, and then the racial level is automatic at ECL2. The racial level is essentially LA with the rest of the Half-Giant racial features.

Lans
2011-03-15, 02:10 PM
There is no Lesser Half-Giant. That is why he put it in quotes. Some people just think you can skip the second level of the racial class. There are some web articles with monster classes that say you don't have to take all of those levels at once. CPsi is fairly clear that you get Class level with some Half-Gianty goodness, and then the racial level is automatic at ECL2. The racial level is essentially LA with the rest of the Half-Giant racial features.

Ah, I guess it still kinda works depending on what your goal is.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-03-15, 04:09 PM
Lightweights. The highest for LA+0 is +12 RAW or +20 if sketchy size abuse is allowed. See my Optimized Races Niche Compenidum at BG for a complete li

Angry Bob
2011-03-15, 04:16 PM
Do you have a link for us? Does your list feature Candlej

Andion Isurand
2011-03-15, 06:56 PM
Optimized Races Niche Compenidum
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8884.0)

Lightweights. The highest for LA+0 is +12 RAW or +20 if sketchy size abuse is allowed. See my Optimized Races Niche Compenidum at BG for a complete li

Regarding your constitution niche.. One of the prerequsites for the Dragonborn "Rite of Rebirth" is the supplicant must be non-evil.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-04-21, 12:44 PM
Oh very nice. I need to make a note to mention that you start good and go evil after being dragonborn, since the template doesn't check and acquired "templates can be added to creatures anyti

Morph Bark
2011-04-21, 01:07 PM
Intruiging compilation. Not sure if I'll ever use it as powerplaying that hard is discouraged in my group due to not everyone being equally much of a powerplayer.

As a sidenote though, I did ask specifically for races, not races with a bunch of templates applied. Nonetheless, thanks for the link. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2011-04-21, 07:07 PM
Oh very nice. I need to make a note to mention that you start good and go evil after being dragonborn, since the template doesn't check and acquired "templates can be added to creatures anytime."
Except that Bahamut sends an aspect to curbstomp you. If you continue to be evil, he revokes the template (RotD p.15).

Mystic Muse
2011-04-21, 07:09 PM
Except that Bahamut sends an aspect to curbstomp you. If you continue to be evil, he revokes the template (RotD p.15).

Yeah, people always seem to forget this for some reason.

Thurbane
2011-04-21, 07:13 PM
Yeah, people always seem to forget this for some reason.
I must admit, it was something I had overlooked until someone pointed it out to me. The fact that it's a footnote in the fluff section of the race probably doesn't help.

Greenish
2011-04-21, 07:37 PM
The mentioned goblin subrace would be air goblin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#airGoblins).

grarrrg
2011-04-21, 09:06 PM
There is a link in my signature to the "master player race list" (la 0).

Mister Thurbane (a few posts up) has compiled a master list of La +1 and +2 player races (link in his signature).

Bookmark them, they come in handy.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-21, 09:08 PM
I must admit, it was something I had overlooked until someone pointed it out to me. The fact that it's a footnote in the fluff section of the race probably doesn't help.

True, but of the few times I've seen Dragonborn suggested this has almost never come up until I brought it up.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-04-22, 09:08 PM
The mention of fluff is interesting. Note that the dragonborn template works without having deities exist. The fluff also seems conflicting. Doing even to tiamat's evil dragons is totally possible for evil dragonborn. Furthermore these things are explicitly not instantaneous and heavily implied to take a long time, possibly over the course of several levels. I am only concerned with the first few levels, so its probably out of scope here or there. I am still interested though.

Oh yea. Obligatory board this doesn't allow any conversation but mental masterb

stainboy
2011-04-22, 10:21 PM

You sure? I couldn't find anything in CPsi saying you had to take all the race levels. Here's all I can find on the subject:

Under normal circumstances, once you begin a character using these racial class rules, you can't take a level in another racial class. However, you still an take levels in one or more standard character classes within the larger confines of your racial class. Class levels are subject to normal multiclassing restrictions.

It's pretty clear they intended you to take all the race levels, but I don't see anything to actually force you.