PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Monk Weapons

arguskos
2011-03-14, 02:06 PM
More specifically, is there a feat to make any one weapon a special monk weapon for the purposes of Flurry? I would like to make a custom double weapon a monk weapon for Flurry (the demon crook, if anyone read my weapons project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149336) and knows that one).

MeeposFire
2011-03-14, 03:04 PM
Yes there are a few off the top of my head I know there is one for longswords and another for mind blades. So if you want to make a feat for a new weapon that should be within bounds.

CigarPete
2011-03-14, 03:04 PM
Anything is possible, but unarmed damage will outstrip any weapon pretty quickly, even when using a monk weapon. Unless you are houseruled to add monk damage to weapons, you will wind up dropping it 9/10 combats to hit harder with your flurry of misses.

gorfnab
2011-03-14, 04:52 PM
Unorthodox Flurry - Dragon Magazine #279, Dungeon Compendium Vol. 1

arguskos
2011-03-14, 04:56 PM
Anything is possible, but unarmed damage will outstrip any weapon pretty quickly, even when using a monk weapon. Unless you are houseruled to add monk damage to weapons, you will wind up dropping it 9/10 combats to hit harder with your flurry of misses.
If I was focusing Unarmed Damage, I'd agree with you. Since I'm not, and the NPC is dipping Monk 2 for some BAB (houseruled to be full BAB) and some free feats and a few other things, unarmed damage is not good enough to justify focusing on it.

Unorthodox Flurry - Dragon Magazine #279, Dungeon Compendium Vol. 1
That'd be amazing... but it's "choose a light weapon". :smallyuk: I might just houserule it in for "pick any one weapon you are proficient with, you can use that weapon".

Would such a decision be overpowered in any way? I can't personally see that it would be, but it might be. I dunno.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-14, 05:06 PM
@^: You treat one end of a double weapon like a light weapon when you use both ends, so taking Unorthodox Flurry for a double weapon isn't too problematic by RAW.

"Any one weapon" could maaaybe be overpowered with, oh, a Fullblade or Goliath Greathammer or something, but it's really not a big problem.

arguskos
2011-03-14, 05:11 PM
@^: You treat one end of a double weapon like a light weapon when you use both ends, so taking Unorthodox Flurry for a double weapon isn't too problematic by RAW.
That's... eeeeeeeh. That's shaky, IMO, but it *is* funny, and since I run of the rule of "if it's funny, it's good to go", we'll just roll with that.

"Any one weapon" could maaaybe be overpowered with, oh, a Fullblade or Goliath Greathammer or something, but it's really not a big problem.
Eh. There's easier ways to tack on attacks (TWF comes to mind, as does the hilarious lulz of Snap Kick), but fair enough.

Unorthodox Flurry it is!

playswithfire
2011-03-14, 05:43 PM
Eberron set a precedent of sorts with the Double Steel Strike, Serpent Strike, and Whirling Steel Strike feats, each of which basically followed the format of

Prereqs: Proficiency with weapn, weapon focus(that weapon), flurry of blows
Benefit: Treat that weapon as a monk weapon

which can be generalized for any weapon, or possibly any non-exotic, since the three weapons (two-bladed sword, longsword, and longspear) they use were either martial or simple.

I don't know the details of Unorthodox flurry; it may be worded similarly

dextercorvia
2011-03-14, 07:03 PM
Warblade's Weapon Aptitude or Aptitude weapon enhancement, combined with one of the eberron feats would do it.

Thurbane
2011-03-14, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a feat that does this in the Netbook of Feats. Homebrew, of course.