PDA

View Full Version : what alignment would this character be

vcvcvc12
2011-03-14, 02:53 PM
His actions are mostly chaotic good. However, if his sister is injured or otherwise put in danger, which happens more often than it should due to certain circumstances, he will go to any lengths to rescue and/or avenge her. And I do mean any.

No idea what to put as his alignment.

Sipex
2011-03-14, 02:55 PM
From the limited information given? Chaotic Neutral.

If your DM allows you to change alignments due to circumstance, then Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral, no promises though.

PersonMan
2011-03-14, 03:03 PM
It depends.

He'd probably be CG at first, but if he did enough horrible things to protect his sister in a short enough time he'd start to slip.

If you'd describe the character's alignment as "if, but..." you should probably go with the first, but explain it to your DM so that they don't think you're being out of character when your CG guy suddenly starts doing CE things.

Talakeal
2011-03-14, 03:03 PM
What alignment is the sister? Generally loyalty without regard to morality is a LN or LE trait imo, but there are too many variables to say for sure.

Devant
2011-03-14, 03:09 PM
Well, before any other word, that's a typical example of why the simplicity of the alignment system is basically fine for many situations, but actually fails to represent any actual intelligent creature convincingly.

Q:Would that character torture someone to obtain information related to his kidnapped sister? (as an example)
A: Yes he would, since he would go at any length. So, he is not good.

Another mor extreme example:

Q: If the ONLY way to avenge the death of his sister, was to press a button that destroys the entire planet where the agressor resides, would he do it?
A: Any length, means ANY length. Certianly not good.

So, he is neutral or evil.

Since you say he is chaotic, we assume that he would gladly ignore any lawful behavior to atend to his sister, which confirms that he is indeed chaotic.

Chaotic Nutral, or Chaotic Evil?

Quoted from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)):

Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel.

Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions.

I wouldn't describe his devotion to his sister as "cruel" or "selfish", thus I believe that the proper alignment is "Chaotic Neutral".

Darth Stabber
2011-03-14, 03:53 PM
I tend to allow a good/lawful character 1 berzerk button that will not cause alignment slippage. If I was GMing he would be CG with Berzerk Button: Sister. Besides an evil character isn't any less evil if he saves puppies as opposed to kicking them. So evil characters are allowed 1 soft spot. Is this unfair?

kyoryu
2011-03-14, 06:16 PM
Probably Chaotic Neutral.

A lot would depend on his approach towards saving his sister. When the sister is threatened, does he *immediately* switch to doing evil things to save her if they're the most convenient? Or does he still avoid doing evil acts unless they're absolutely necessary, and all other options have been explored?

I believe that Good characters can perform Evil acts. Stealing to feed your family is Evil, as it's taking the property of others (presuming that they acquired the bread legitimately). But it's something that most Good people would do, if all other options had been explored.

The difference is that a Good character will do so as a last resort, and feel grief over their actions. An Evil character will steal right from the beginning, if it's the most convenient path, and will feel no remorse about it whatsoever.

Adrayll
2011-03-14, 08:23 PM
If your DM is open to a quasi-malleable alignment system, then I'd say CG until they crossed the "line" for the cause of their sister one too many times. Sure, as your DM I'd give you a by the first time or so, and if you were acceptably remorseful/guilty/repentant after, but too many times, and you're punted to CN, then maybe even CE eventually.

vcvcvc12
2011-03-15, 12:09 AM
In response to kyoryu, his approach to rescue would probably be as Good as possible without putting her in more danger or being excessively slow. His approach to vengeance would depend on the situation, anywhere from beating him to near-death to killing him, killing anyone who helped and storming the gates of Hell with the intention of harming them more. Obviously, it usually wouldn't get that far, especially since he would never risk his sister being hurt while he's gone, but if it was that serious and he could ensure his sister's safety...

Privateer
2011-03-15, 01:41 AM
It depends on how often is "more often than it should" and what he actually does when the sister is in danger. Being prepared to do something(well, thinking that you are, anyway) and doing it are two different things, I'd say.

If he is actually faced with difficult moral choices and choses to do evil for his goal enough, then alignment should follow, I'd say. If he does an evil act rarely, when his sister is in danger, then feels awful about it and goes to great lengths to atone for the evil he did, then I'd say he's still chaotic good.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-15, 01:47 AM
Simon Tam.

Well it SHOULD be an official alignment!

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-17, 11:19 AM
Simon Tam.

Well it SHOULD be an official alignment!

It is official. All alignment systems are replaced by Simon, River, Malcolm, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Wash, Zoe, Book and River's feet.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-17, 11:30 AM
It is official. All alignment systems are replaced by Simon, River, Malcolm, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Wash, Zoe, Book and River's feet.

There's also Book's Hair. It's there, waiting.