PDA

View Full Version : Should a melee-ificer include fighter 4 or warblade 6?

realbombchu
2011-03-14, 03:08 PM
I'm interested in making a melee artificer, and I read that I should give the character 4 levels of fighter first. Wouldn't 6 levels of warblade be a better fit?

I'm confused, I guess. Tome of Battle is allowed in my game, so I don't see the benefit of fighter levels over warblade levels. Am I missing something?

Dead_Jester
2011-03-14, 03:23 PM
I'm interested in making a melee artificer, and I read that I should give the character 4 levels of fighter first. Wouldn't 6 levels of warblade be a better fit?

I'm confused, I guess. Tome of Battle is allowed in my game, so I don't see the benefit of fighter levels over warblade levels. Am I missing something?

Not really, although you don't really need to take any melee classes to get a good melee artificier. If your going to take fighting class, then warblade 5/something else 1 is better than warblade 6, unless you absolutely want improved uncanny dodge. Also, don't take the fighter levels first, and if you go warblade instead, spread them out so you can take higher level maneuvers/stances.

Zaq
2011-03-14, 07:51 PM
That depends on what you're taking Fighter 4 for in the first place. Your comment about Warblade 6 makes me fear that it's for Weapon Specialization . . . it's not, is it? Please don't be that.

Seriously though, what do you hope to gain out of your melee levels? Give us a target, and we can help you pick a cannon.

realbombchu
2011-03-14, 08:07 PM
I'm not after weapon spec., no. The guide I read made weapon spec. sound like a big deal, but I think Attune Magic Weapon is better and doesn't require multiclassing.

The only benefits I see in fighter levels are armor and weapon profs. and extra feats. Warblade offers higher hit dice, skill and stat synergy, and maneuvers, which seems like a better idea to me.

I would definitely stagger the warblade levels though. Is there a reason I shouldn't want improved uncanny dodge?

chaos_redefined
2011-03-14, 08:14 PM
Why Fighter 4 instead of Fighter 1? Or not bothering at all, for that matter.

Akal Saris
2011-03-14, 08:57 PM
I would just go straight artificer, personally. One or two levels of warblade never hurt though.

Escheton
2011-03-14, 09:01 PM
Are you sure the fighter isnt for gestalt?

Full artificer with stats build for melee works fine. Double so if wf.

Aspenor
2011-03-14, 09:02 PM
Neither. They should be a pure artificer.

Amphetryon
2011-03-14, 09:32 PM
If you're set on multiclassing Artificer with Warblade, I'd say Artificer 18/Warblade 2 - in that order - is your best choice.