PDA

View Full Version : 3.Pathfinder Making a Sword and Board Ranger

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-14, 04:21 PM
I like rangers. I like that they are skilled warriors, unlike fighters with their dearth of skill points.

I like the pathfinder ranger even better, in that it actually has class abilities beyond "I really hate a couple creatures". Though, I do feel the whole quarry thing feels forced... anyway...

I've been wanting to make a lightly armored sword and board warrior for awhile, and i think ranger fits the bill: lightly armored, sword and board combat style, has skills, some spells...

I would like to take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat by the way. So how do I make a sword and board ranger that can cast arcane spells without too much trouble?

Ive done SoTAO rangers before, but as archers and switch hitters... how do I pull it off with a shield?

Thanks in advance everyone!
EDIT: around level 6 or 8 would be nice... or whenever you think the build would really come together.

DEMON
2011-03-14, 05:06 PM
Actually, I would say that 2WF is fine with Weapon in main hand and shield (with Improved Shield Bash) in off-hand. Though you may need Somatic Weaponry feat. Other option off the top of my head is Shield and Pike Style feat (Dragon 338) that allows you to combine certain polearms with using light shield (as you can use your off-had for wielding weapon, you can remove your main hand from the weapon and use that hand for spellcasting anytime you need). These are just some starting ideas, I´m sure there are more to come from the more optimization-skilled contributors :smallwink:

gorfnab
2011-03-14, 05:21 PM
If you're going with Pathfinder the Advanced Players Guide has an option for Weapon and Shield Rangers on page 124. This option combined with 3 levels of Fighter using the Phalanx Soldier option (Advanced Players Guide page 105) would actually be quite entertaining.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-14, 05:22 PM
If you're going with Pathfinder the Advanced Players Guide has an option for Weapon and Shield Rangers on page 124. This option combined with 3 levels of Fighter using the Phalanx Soldier option (Advanced Players Guide page 105) would actually be quite entertaining.

Yes, I am using the APG, the weapon and shield ranger is exactly what i was looking at. 3 levels of fighter is something i didnt look at though....

navar100
2011-03-14, 06:05 PM
For an unofficial house rule idea, ask your DM to trade out Favored Terrain features to cast spells in light armor with no arcane failure chance.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-14, 06:07 PM
For an unofficial house rule idea, ask your DM to trade out Favored Terrain features to cast spells in light armor with no arcane failure chance.

thats a good idea, though I feel as though that is worth more than favored terrains?

grarrrg
2011-03-14, 06:36 PM
Definately take AT LEAST 6 levels of Ranger first.
Ranger Combat Style Bonus feats ignore ALL pre-reqs. Usually this is fairly minor, but some of the 'Weapon and Shield' feats are DRASTICALLY discounted.

Shield Slam (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-slam-combat---final) is available at level 2, and normally requires a couple other feats and bab +6.

Shield Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-master-combat---final) normally requires 3 other feats, and a bab of +11 (!!).
A 'Weapon and Shield' Ranger can take it at level 6.

Improved Shield Bash, Two-Weapon Fighting, etc... can be taken with your normal feats, but these two looks pretty tasty for your Ranger slots.

After Ranger 6 (and taking Shield Master), then your options open up and you can dip other classes or look for at PrC's.
Fighter for the Feats.
Barb for Rage.
Rogue for Sneak Attack, and skills.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-14, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I was noticing the pre-reqs of those feats.. and noticing how the ranger didnt need them. :smallbiggrin:

However, I was thinking of sticking with Ranger just for the benefits of using Sword of the Arcane Order, and getting as many spell slots as possible out of it... 4th level wizard spells are nothing to sneeze at in comparison to barb rage or rogue sneak attack.