PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Alternate Uses for Action Points

LibraryOgre
2011-03-14, 07:03 PM
So, aside from adding a standard action, what would you allow an action point to do?

A few thoughts:

1) Reroll a failed roll. Similar to taking an extra action, I can see it being popular when rolling daily powers. I've convinced a DM to let me do this for a particularly important social roll, however.

2) Recharge a power. Usually a daily power, but there may be that specific encounter power you need right now.

3) Recharge X healing surges; maybe 1/4 your total number of healing surges or something like that. Another option would be a flat amount, which varies according to tier (so at heroic, it will recharge 2; 4 at paragon and 6 at epic).

4) A flat +5 on a given roll. Spend an action point and gain a +5 on a specific roll. Maybe a +5 on skill rolls, and a +3 on combat rolls?

Any thoughts on these? Any other thoughts? I figure 1 & 4 make them a bit more like "hero points"... things you can spend so you can be a little bit more awesome, while 2 & 3 will help to end the "15 minute work day", as you can recharge powers and healing surges a bit so long as you keep moving.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-14, 07:05 PM
Some paragon paths let you do that, like Wizard of the Spiral Tower.

Surrealistik
2011-03-14, 07:06 PM
Recharging powers with APs is the province of Epic Tier feats; probably not a good idea.

Healing Surge restoration is probably not a good idea since it screws with the fundamental 4E design assumptions in terms of party endurance/longevity.

The rest is great, spending the AP as No Action.

Seerow
2011-03-14, 07:09 PM
In general Paragon Paths/epic destinies give you other stuff to do with action points, no need to give more baseline.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-14, 07:33 PM
So, aside from adding a standard action, what would you allow an action point to do?
(1) and (4) are essentially what the equivalent of action points does in practically every other system I can think of that uses them. I think that's a good idea; actually I think that is generally more fun than taking an extra action. That said, taking an extra action is usually (but not always) better than these.

(2) is the equivalent of an epic feat or an epic destiny feature. There are certain classes, particularly the wizard, for which recharging a daily breaks the game hard.

(3) depends on the campaign. In my experience it's exceedingly rare for any character to run out of surges during an adventuring day, so I don't really think this is worth it.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-14, 07:36 PM
I like all 4. Sometimes you just don't need another standard action: sometimes, you need something else. Only caveat I have is this: There's one human paragon path out of PHB2 that grants 2 actions points after an extended rest. With these new uses for action points, that path becomes even more rad than it already was.

MeeposFire
2011-03-14, 08:29 PM
Remember if surges are an issue for your game there is a ritual that lets you spread your healing surges around your party so make use of that as long as one of you can cast rituals.

Nu
2011-03-18, 08:53 AM
1) Reroll a failed roll. Similar to taking an extra action, I can see it being popular when rolling daily powers. I've convinced a DM to let me do this for a particularly important social roll, however.

I've actually currently house-ruled action points to work this way during skill challenges. I like to put "time limits" on skill challenges and do them in intiative (or soft-timers, like increasing the DCs by 2 at the start of every round), and I felt that allowing players to action point and make an extra check bypassed the time limit too much, so a reroll seemed fair in exchange.

I'd consider allowing it for attack rolls too. My players seem to whiff on dailies a lot, despite their relatively high levels of optimization.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-18, 09:06 AM
I'd consider allowing it for attack rolls too. My players seem to whiff on dailies a lot, despite their relatively high levels of optimization.
This is why I like dailies that don't require a to-hit roll :smallcool:

Eorran
2011-03-18, 09:14 AM
I'd agree with others here that 1) and 4) seem like good ideas, but I think 2) and 3) might be too powerful.

I suppose it depends a bit on how your players use their Action Points. We tend to use at least one early in a fight to get the momentum going in our favor. I don't think my players would give up their bonus Standard action to get a daily back; they're more likely to take a rest to regain both an AP and all dailies.

Cartigan
2011-03-18, 09:41 AM

All paragon paths give you something special for using an action point. A couple leaders, or at least the Warlord, grants party members special things for using an action point. Also, there are feats that do some of those.

Those house rules would therefore overrule a number of feats and class features.

MeeposFire
2011-03-18, 09:58 AM
Some of these would make ok feats but not default stuff.

Fallbot
2011-03-18, 11:16 AM

And the Kensei and Speaker of the Word PPs give you 1).

Edit: Derp, looks like the Speaker's feature is similar but different.