PDA

View Full Version : Core only rogue brawler?

jeice
2011-03-14, 09:54 PM
I've done a ton of searching on the boards and seen the different recommendations, but I'd like a bit more advice on my character. Starting a new campaign with mostly beginner players. Party already has a Fighter and a Ranger so I went with Rogue for now. However that being said I don't plan on staying "just" Rogue and would like ideas for my future. Ranger is archer and I'd like to focus mostly on melee.

Stats;

Str 15
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 9

We are limited to basically core only(its in FR so possibly some feats from there) to simplify the game, and I'm not sure how long the campaign will last. I'm guessing it won't go to 20 since we're all kind of learning the game and if it finishes early we would start over with more knowledge and options. That being said what are my options for character builds? I know Barb is a good mix for at least a couple levels, fighter for 2 gives me bonus feats and perhaps even Ranger to pick up some stuff.

Right now my level 1 feats are two weapon fighting and improved initiative. I have 2 short swords but also a longspear to be able to survive while standing behind the fighter. I definitely want to go mostly Rogue in the long run, but I like the idea of picking up my extra stuff early to maximize my survivability and usefulness. My str isn't far behind my dex so should I not bother with weapon finesse and stick to a 2h weapon with a secondary attack like spiked armor or improved unarmed strike? Our fighter is using a big 2h flail so maybe a tripper build based on spiked chain would work. From what I gather it's a bit cheesy, but since it's core only I need all I can get.

I'm thinking..

Rogue 1) (TWF), (improved init) SA +1d6 [feats already chosen]
Barb 1)fast movement, rage
Rogue 2)evasion (EWP spiked chain)
Fighter 1)(combat expertise)
Fighter 2)(improved trip)
Rogue 3)(combat reflexes) SA +2d6
Barb 2)uncanny dodge
Rogue 4)improved uncanny dodge

Then Rogue till the end picking up ITWF, weapon focus chain, etc... I'd plan on using spiked armor or something for the 2nd attack and getting extra SA damage. I'd lose a lot of skill points from the start, but could pick them back up as time progressed. Or...

Rogue 1) (TWF), (improved init) SA +1d6
Barb 1)fast movement, rage
Rogue 2)evasion (weapon finesse)
Fighter 1)(weapon focus shortsword)
Fighter 2)(combat expertise)
Rogue 3)(???) SA +2d6
Barb 2)uncanny dodge
Rogue 4)improved uncanny dodge

Just not sure if I should go Rogue 16/Fighter 4 for the extra feat and weapon spec, or throw the barb in there for fast movement/rage/uncanny dodge. Or any other combination you would suggest?