PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warlock build help

The Rabbler
2011-03-14, 10:42 PM
I had an idea for a build trying to kinda-sorta emulate iron man. It's a warforged warlock/swordsage/hellfire warlock build involving some tricks for extra hellfire warlock damage and utilizing eldritch claws. My only problem is that I just discovered that I can't actually fit hellfire warlock into my build until level 10 and we happen to be starting at level 9.

So, I now have a hole 3 levels big in the middle of my build and I wanted to ask for suggestions to fill that hole. I have 9 levels to work with and I want to put as much of those as possible into warlock. I'm now thinking something like warlock 7/swordsage 2 and going into hellfire warlock next level, but I want to know if there might be a better choice. Thoughts, playground?

All sources available (dragon requires specific DM clearance).

My stats are 18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 10 (I rolled well) and I will be using a modified warforged race (-4 wis instead of -2 wis and -2 cha). I was planning on using
str: 18, dex: 18, con: 12, int: 16, wis: 10, cha: 16 (going with what seems most fitting to tony stark (and the strength of the suit)). Feel free to convince me otherwise.

EDIT: and in case it matters, my DM allowed DFA invocations to be added to the warlock list as long as they fit thematically.

EDIT2: do I really only get two invocations at level 7? that seems way too low even after taking extra invocation.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-15, 03:42 PM
At warlock 7, you have 3 least invocations and 2 lesser invocations, for a total of 5. No, that's not weak, depending on what you choose.

Obviously, at level 7, your two lesser invocations must be fell flight and brimstone blast. The former, because what is iron man without flying, and the latter as the prerequisite for HFW.

May I ask why Swordsage? Granted, it's a nifty-fun class, but I'd think with all the tinkering around Tony does, it might be better for either Artificer or Rogue to slide in there. Rogue would be good because of Evasion, you have the whole 'flying through explosions with nary a scratch' thing going on for you. Artificer... well... if I have to tell you why Artificer is a fun class, you probably need to go back over your Ebberon books.

The other problem you will have is dealing with the Con damage, since if you negate Con damage, you negate the HFW damage as well. Net sum zero. Most people go with a one-level dip in Binder for Nabereous, who heals one point of stat damage a round, effectively negating the con damage without actually negating it, as long as you have an odd Con score. The other, more controversial, method is Strongheart Vest, but some people call that negating the damage and cry foul.

If you want to go the Binder dip route, then probably one of those two levels should be Binder.

The Rabbler
2011-03-15, 05:06 PM
At warlock 7, you have 3 least invocations and 2 lesser invocations, for a total of 5. No, that's not weak, depending on what you choose.

Obviously, at level 7, your two lesser invocations must be fell flight and brimstone blast. The former, because what is iron man without flying, and the latter as the prerequisite for HFW.

May I ask why Swordsage? Granted, it's a nifty-fun class, but I'd think with all the tinkering around Tony does, it might be better for either Artificer or Rogue to slide in there. Rogue would be good because of Evasion, you have the whole 'flying through explosions with nary a scratch' thing going on for you. Artificer... well... if I have to tell you why Artificer is a fun class, you probably need to go back over your Ebberon books.

The other problem you will have is dealing with the Con damage, since if you negate Con damage, you negate the HFW damage as well. Net sum zero. Most people go with a one-level dip in Binder for Nabereous, who heals one point of stat damage a round, effectively negating the con damage without actually negating it, as long as you have an odd Con score. The other, more controversial, method is Strongheart Vest, but some people call that negating the damage and cry foul.

If you want to go the Binder dip route, then probably one of those two levels should be Binder.

I've actually decided to build the character using an artificer with magical traps on a fullplate (in another thread), now that I realize warlock can't actually create items until class level 12. But, I'd still like to have this character ready should tony stark face an untimely death.

To address your points:
1. I don't really understand how you determine invocations known; All I see in CA is a table telling you when you learn higher rank invocations.
EDIT: I didn't look to the right of the class features :smallredface:

2. I wanted to use unarmed swordsage because I plan on using a buffed-up version of the Eldritch Claws feat to give my warlock both some melee and ranged viability (basically, at the cost of a swift action, I'd add my EB damage to my unarmed strikes until end of turn). Plus I like ToB. Quite a bit.

3. I realized that warforged wouldn't allow you to use hellfire blasts as they're immune to con damage, so from now on the race will be human. As for the negation, my DM okay'd Strongheart Vest.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-16, 10:02 AM
If you are going Human, then absolutely take Able Learner and a two-level dip in Chameleon PrC, which gives you a floating feat. This is *VERY* huge to a Warlock for the following reasons:

1) Extra Invocation. Just by using the floating feat on this, you can be changing around this floating invocation on a daily basis, if you know you're going to be needing an oddball invocation just at that time.

2) Crafting Feats. Want to make any item, ever, except those really rare ones that require more than one crafting feat? This is how you do it. Need a wand? Fine, that day you take Craft Wand with your floating feat. Needing to buff up your party's beatstick's sword? Fine, Craft Magic Arms and Armor the next day. Someone wants a Ring of Protection? Now your floating feat is Forge Ring.

Heck, that second reason alone is a perfect reason to dip Chameleon2 with Artificer as well. You don't need to blow feats to make toys.

The Rabbler
2011-03-16, 10:37 AM
If you are going Human, then absolutely take Able Learner and a two-level dip in Chameleon PrC, which gives you a floating feat. This is *VERY* huge to a Warlock for the following reasons:

1) Extra Invocation. Just by using the floating feat on this, you can be changing around this floating invocation on a daily basis, if you know you're going to be needing an oddball invocation just at that time.

2) Crafting Feats. Want to make any item, ever, except those really rare ones that require more than one crafting feat? This is how you do it. Need a wand? Fine, that day you take Craft Wand with your floating feat. Needing to buff up your party's beatstick's sword? Fine, Craft Magic Arms and Armor the next day. Someone wants a Ring of Protection? Now your floating feat is Forge Ring.

Heck, that second reason alone is a perfect reason to dip Chameleon2 with Artificer as well. You don't need to blow feats to make toys.

Doesn't chameleon require undead turning attempts or something divine like that as a prereq? I'm AFB at the moment, but I seem to remember something like that being required. If I can manage it, chameleon sounds like a great way to make my character more versatile, thanks! My google-fu has resolved this quandry

looks like my build now is going to be warlock 6/chameleon 2/swordsage 1, assuming I can qualify for chameleon by level 6.

EDIT: thanks for the help, shneeky.

Diarmuid
2011-03-17, 12:45 PM
Just to clarify, is the free action for EB dmg to UA a house rule thing?

Thats a pretty far cry from what the feat actually allows and basically does the same thing as Eldritch Glaive without you having to use up another Invocation slot.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-17, 12:49 PM
Just to clarify, is the free action for EB dmg to UA a house rule thing?

Thats a pretty far cry from what the feat actually allows and basically does the same thing as Eldritch Glaive without you having to use up another Invocation slot.

He's talking about a feat in Dragon Magazine which is nifty, if your gm will let you use it (most won't let you use Dragon Mag materials), called Eldritch Claws.

Deviston
2012-01-15, 12:15 PM
Done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276)