PDA

View Full Version : Rolling With It

Angry Bob
2011-03-14, 11:16 PM
There's a joke going around the forums:

"Hey, you just raided a dungeon! You got, like fifty thousand gold sovereigns worth of jewels and magic items! Are you going to, like, buy a fully-staffed mansion?"
"Nah. I'm going to upgrade my sword from +3 to +4 and sleep in my cloak."

What happens if you take such assumptions, apply them to most if not all adventurers, and make a world with this in mind?

To start with, I envision the institution of 'adventuring' in such a world as 'give all of your sociopaths swords and send them into the wilderness to get killed.'

Any other ideas for such a world?

If I've made myself clear, that is. It's really late.

Doc Roc
2011-03-14, 11:17 PM
There's a joke going around the forums:

"Hey, you just raided a dungeon! You got, like fifty thousand gold sovereigns worth of jewels and magic items! Are you going to, like, buy a fully-staffed mansion?"
"Nah. I'm going to upgrade my sword from +3 to +4 and sleep in my cloak."

What happens if you take such assumptions, apply them to most if not all adventurers, and make a world with this in mind?

To start with, I envision the institution of 'adventuring' in such a world as 'give all of your sociopaths swords and send them into the wilderness to get killed.'

Any other ideas for such a world?

If I've made myself clear, that is. It's really late.

It is a fantastic concept, one executed well in a couple of settings. Planescape was basically a place to toss your sociopaths once they outgrew your normal world, after all.

Xefas
2011-03-15, 01:09 AM
Planescape was basically a place to toss your sociopaths once they outgrew your normal world, after all.

Reinforced by the fact that, if I recall correctly, space was a pricey commodity in Sigil, so a +4 sword may have very well been cheaper than an apartment.

Oh mans, just realized. Sigil hack for Free Market could be epic.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-15, 02:04 AM
I am working on this actually.
I picture being a cross between Klondike style gold rushes and 19th century grave robb. . I mean archaeology.
First and foremost, adventuring is not a honourable profession. At many sites, its not the traps, most of which are falling apart by now anyway, or the monsters, even golems fall to dust eventually, but other adventurers come to get some loot before its all gone.
Like the Klondike, you find tent towns springing up over night around the bigger digs. At many sites, its try as one will, but some lords, sick of the thieves and robbers plaguing their lands, have sent guards to enforce some semblance of order. Also like the Klondike, many don't make it rich at all, maybe selling a tattered tapestry or banged up ancient armour to a collector to try and cover their expenses. But those that do are legendary.
But even if you do make it like thieves, which you are, you will never be accepted by 'high society' You're worse then nouveau riche , you're a bandit and a despoiler of the dead, bringer of ill-luck and curses.
So most just keep going, plundering, improving their equipment and drinking the rest, and then starting it all over again. It's in no way sustainable, but there is a lot of money to be made while there is, if your lucky and aren't cut down by long dead servant reanimated by fel magic to protect his equally long dead masters tomb, another adventurer, or some disease from the filthy camps.