PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ranger: Sable Company Marine Archetype?!

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 01:07 AM
I was not aware of this Ranger Archetype! I feel like this is a whole new thing for the ranger.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/florianStitz

Any thoughts on this? Any build ideas would one want to make such a ranger? I feel that archery path would make the best use of the hippogriff mount capabilities.

I am very intrigued by this. Flying mounts+archery ranger sounds sweet. Throw in re fluffed sword of the arcane order feat... and you could have lots and lots of fun. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-15, 01:45 AM
Yeah, you get flight before a Wizard even. That's pretty darn neat. Of course, you want some wide open spaces if you are going to take advantage of 100 ft flight speed, but it's a damn fine looking animal companion. If anyone asks, you can say you took Favoured Terrain: Sky.:smallbiggrin:

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 02:23 AM
yeah, it seems like a definite step in the right direction for a ranger.

Now... any ideas of how to build one?

I still assume that archery is a must.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-15, 02:40 AM
yeah, it seems like a definite step in the right direction for a ranger.

Now... any ideas of how to build one?

I still assume that archery is a must.
I don't know, there is something awfully appealing about the idea of
charging out of the sky, lance first, crying, "DEATH FROM ABOVE!"
But mechanically speaking, even with the negatives on mounted archery, it looks like a fine idea, mechanically speaking.

Otherworld Odd
2011-03-15, 07:17 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this is a feat you take at 4th level of Ranger to get your hippogriff. It's from Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path, so that would be the first place to look for information.

Also: The Sable Marine in my group is a Ranger/Alchemist so that's also a possibility. I believe he plans on doing up archery with homebrewed "bomb-arrows." If your campaign takes place in a dungeon, it might not be a good idea to go this route either. Only if there's wide open spaces (which there probably always will be anyways.)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 11:23 AM
there is the feat... however the feat was designed for D&D. this is an actual archetype for the Pathfinder Ranger, for which no feat is taken. its the exact same benefit as the crimson throne feat, but you lose out on the pathfinder ranger's favored terrains.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 05:46 PM
one more thing: is it just me, or can you only use the shortbow while on a mount? thought i remembered something about not being able to use a longbow, because it was too... well, long. is that right? or am I remembering some half forgotten rule from 1e or 2e? or am I making stuff up?

Nero24200
2011-03-15, 06:18 PM
I'm of two minds on this one.

I like it because it ups the power of the ranger a little, something I feel it needs (especially considering that other martial classes get a big boost in PF, particularly the paladin).

On the other hand, it means 90% of rangers will have that ability. I'm not a big fan of options which are just so good that all other options aren't worth giving it up (even if the class isn't as powerful as others).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 08:36 PM
I'm of two minds on this one.

I like it because it ups the power of the ranger a little, something I feel it needs (especially considering that other martial classes get a big boost in PF, particularly the paladin).

On the other hand, it means 90% of rangers will have that ability. I'm not a big fan of options which are just so good that all other options aren't worth giving it up (even if the class isn't as powerful as others).

Well, I still think People will take Mystic Ranger and Sword of the Arcane Order over this...

I might take this AND Sword of the Arcane Order, but Mystic Ranger is still the most optimized Ranger build, I think.

Mojo_Rat
2011-03-15, 10:13 PM
I would Go Mounted Combat With this. Though one thing You could do Is, Do ranger to 4 to get this ability. Then go Cavalier :)

In our game that just ended, the Halfling Cavalier was Brutal, he fed potions of flying and Spider climb to his wolf. An animal that could already fly would make it easier.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-15, 10:33 PM
I would Go Mounted Combat With this. Though one thing You could do Is, Do ranger to 4 to get this ability. Then go Cavalier :)

In our game that just ended, the Halfling Cavalier was Brutal, he fed potions of flying and Spider climb to his wolf. An animal that could already fly would make it easier.

eh, im not impressed with the Mounted ranger style... I'd rather take archery combat style, then spend two feats to get the two mounted feats I need: Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery. A lot easier to get with your normal feat allotment than all of the archery feats.

Ifusaso
2018-02-19, 01:41 AM
Yeah, you get flight before a Wizard even. That's pretty darn neat. Of course, you want some wide open spaces if you are going to take advantage of 100 ft flight speed, but it's a damn fine looking animal companion. If anyone asks, you can say you took Favoured Terrain: Sky.:smallbiggrin:

For anyone finding this thread now, it's worth noting that you can't fly until 8th level (7th if you take Boon Companion) and that the fly speed is halved to 50ft (per the 'Advancement' bonus given to Hippogriffs by the Monstrous Mount Mastery)

That being said, I've considered both archery and charger builds and believe archery is simply better. When you get off the ground, you have huge benefits and the penalties for mounted archer are nonexistant unless you're moving more than 50ft per round. Even then, you could take the feats (Improved/Mounted Archery) if you're that concerned.

Charger runs into issues with utility when you can't ride your Hippogriff around, anywhere that you can't maneuver a Large creature. If that's not a concern, then it's definitely viable.

One thing I like to do is dip 3 levels into Cav or Fighter (archer or weapon master) with Boon Companion.