PDA

View Full Version : Arthropods rethought (3.5 vermin and their proper places)

Icedaemon
2011-03-15, 07:01 AM
One thing I've noticed when creating Walufar is that one of the major hazards in real-world tropical regions, potentially deadly insects and spiders, are not all that wholly represented in D&D. Sure, there are poisonous spiders and centipedes, but only the ones which are absurdly large or act in swarm form secrete poisons which are reliably deadly.

The only proper arthropod in the sourcebooks that I found is the bloodsilk spider in MM IV (which I do like a lot and will definitely use). Even when browsing this forum, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5818438&postcount=515)is the only interesting form of horrible insectile critter I found which is smaller than a dog.

Of the rules-as-written monsters, normal-sized spiders such as the Monsters of Faerun Hairy Spider tend to have a poison with a pitiful (DC 11) initial and secondary 1 point of temporary Dexterity damage which, granted, is actually in line with some species of tarantula, but is decidedly lower-end-of-the-scale.

I would definitely like to see uniquely deadly insects and spiders, like creatures who try to paralyze animals to lay eggs under the skin. At least in my mind, insects should not be huge monsters that one fights with a greatsword, but more like naturally occurring traps.

Now, for example, the King baboon spider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelinobius_muticus) has an interesting hallucinogenic venom. Why not capitalize on it, perhaps increase the potency a bit? Since the other stats of the Hairy Spider are OK, let's go with:

Hallucinogenic Spider (pelinobius)
Fine Vermin
Hit Dice: 1/8 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., climb 10 ft.
AC: 20 (+2 Dex, +8 size)
Attacks: Bite +3 melee
Damage: Bite 1d2–5 plus poison
Face/Reach: 1/2 ft. by 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Poison immunity
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 14, Con 10, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Climb +6, Hide +25, Jump +4, Spot +15
Climate/Terrain: Warm land
Organization: single (1) or swarm (2–20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral

These hand-sized, hairy reddish-orange spiders are found mostly in jungles and savannas. They do not spin webs, but instead prefer to hunt small and tiny mammals. To prevent them becoming prey themselves, Hallucinogenic spiders

Poison (Ex): Those hit by a Hallucinogenic spider’s bite attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be injected with poison. The initial effect is similar to a confusion spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/confusion.htm) with a 2-round duration. Secondary damage is 1d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage due to pain and lesser hallucinations.
Skills: Hairy spiders have racial bonuses of +4 on Hide checks,
+6 on Jump checks, and +12 on Spot checks.

Is this a daft idea, or might I be onto something?

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:05 AM
Well, a poison that is often, but not always deadly in the real world would probably translate to something with a save that is high enough a low-level commoner can't make it reliably (DC around 15) and deals enough constitution damage to kill him (about 10 on average. 3d6, maybe). That's very, very good, though, compared to others.

Some poisons are characterized by absolutely mind-numbing pain, including screaming, rolling on the floor and trying to tear your limbs off so it stops hurting. A reflavoured Nauseated condition (can only take a single move action per turn, can't attack, cast or do similar things) should cover that.

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 07:15 AM
I believe Nauseated already covers intense pain - a spell or two come to mind.

I think this is a good idea. It bugs me that there's such a lack of really threatening monsters that are also really small... I believe Sydney funnelwebs are more often deadly than they're not. And blueringed octopus are up there. And box jellyfish and those tiny ones are really, seriously, dangerous.

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:19 AM
The problem, of course, is that the way D&D is structured, it would be difficult to stat something that dies if you step on it, but similarly has a poison strong enough to kill you with a single bite.

Creatures with half a HD (or so), should probably not deal 4d6 constitution damage.

Icedaemon
2011-03-15, 07:39 AM
Hence my claim that they should be more comparable to traps than monsters. If you kill or calm the deadly funnelweb spider before the potentially fatal bite, it should be treated as the party successfully disarming a trap, not as the party defeating a monster.

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:58 AM
True. Given that these spiders would be diminutive and smaller, their hide modifier should be fantastic as well. So, they can usually jump/drop out of somewhere, bite one person and then be killed, if they aren't found.

Really just like a trap.

DracoDei
2011-03-15, 04:21 PM
The only mechanical over-ride needed is a racial bonus to the poison DC. That and high Con damage (1d6 primary and 2d6 secondary? 1 per round for 20 round (save negates each round?) plus the above-mentioned hide bonus should cover you. Sure they have 1 hp, but so what? For added punch, steal a thought from 4E minions and give them Evasion in some cases, if you don't want Burning Hands to be an auto-kill.

Eldan
2011-03-15, 04:38 PM
I don't see a problem with auto-killing them. Fine size is +16 to hide. Which means spiders are almost impossible to spot.

DracoDei
2011-03-15, 06:21 PM
Sounds good.

Toofey
2011-03-16, 12:33 AM
I'm planning on sending my party up against a group of slightly large (3-5 inch) beetles who have MR and the ability to reflect spells back (because they're shiny, I don't need a reasonable explanation I'm the DM) which I think is going to be fun.