PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Random Encounters Repository

Domigorgon
2011-03-15, 07:22 AM
OK, the idea's this: you're a DM. You're having a session scheduled, but barely enough time to prepare everything.

OR, you're in the middle of a session, and you've run out of prepared material, you really need some random encounter, fast! And you don't want it to be just a random monster from the manuals.

OR, you like giving handouts to your players, like illustrations or maps.

Well, I thought it would be cool to have a place on the Internets where one could find such pre-made materials, so I've started this blog:

Random Encounter (http://encounterandom.blogspot.com/)

The thing is, I would welcome any collaborators with fresh ideas, who can find their way around 3.5 rules and builds, and help me make pre-made encounters, mini-adventures, and the like. For those of you who have seen or read the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, those special Encounter pages found within are exactly the sort of thing I'm after here - only so that encounters on the Random Encounter blog could easily fit into any generic D&D adventure.

Just a few examples of things I would like to see on Random Encounter:
* a group of bandits of different races and classes with a ready strategy (and possibly a map) for their ambush on the PCs
* a sleazy merchant sells the PCs a magical artifact of unknown powers (which turns out to be a clockwork spider thief and makes off with PCs gold at the first opportunity)
* map of a generic village, town or city (suitable for printing a handout)
* pre-made generic NPCs of a range of CRs (e.g. see the Guards! Guards! (http://encounterandom.blogspot.com/2011/01/guards-guards.html) post)

The idea is to use 3.5 rules under the OGL.

So, if you ever want to share your ideas, builds, materials, or illustrations suitable for the blog, send them to our mail: [email protected]

The submissions should be ready for use by the DM with minimal preparation (meaning ready stats, descriptions, etc.).

There is no guarantee that they will be published - but if everything is neat and orderly and sticks to the rules and licence, there is a higher chance that it will be. We might occasionally even illustrate some submissions (if they're really inspiring). And if there are any illustrators out there, drawing maps and monsters, well, you're welcome to submit stuff as well.

If you like, you can also post your stuff in this topic, but unless you send it to our email as well - it will not be taken into consideration.

I hope you will like and support the initiative!

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:24 AM
Do you need stats as well? I can probably write up a dozen or so of these fairly quickly, but statting them up is probably too much work.

Domigorgon
2011-03-15, 07:32 AM
How is excluding the stats making it easier for a DM in haste? :)
No, I don't want ideas; I want story, stats, and strategies in the builds. Meat! Not just the bones. :)

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:35 AM
Well, what I meant is that for most encounters, you don't really need combat stats. For, as an example, the kind of merchant you mentioned, a few social and perception skills, as well as what equipment he carries, would be entirely sufficient. Of course, I could also stat him up as a level 2 aasimar expert, but that will just mean that most groups will just kick him over with one attack in combat. Those stats can usually be improvised on the go if the group decides to fight. Names, motivations, stories and relationships are more difficult.

Domigorgon
2011-03-15, 07:40 AM
Well, of course, the merchant could always be a seasoned rogue/fighter. :)
And if he's not the challenge, then the clockwork thief should be. There should be stats for anything that might get into a fight.
And if you're doing just some of the merchant's stats, why not do them all? Some DM's might not be able to fill in the holes at a moment's notice.

Eldan
2011-03-15, 07:56 AM
Ah, well. In that case, I'm really just too lazy to do it.

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 08:06 AM
I tried to start something like this. It failed miserably :smallsigh: I wish you better luck with yours.
My old encounter sharing thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156812). You're welcome to use anything there (at least of my stuff... I presume the rest will be fine, too, but can't guarantee it).
I would really love, by the way, to have a repository of grabable NPCs that can be dropped wherever. To address Eldan's point, for example, there are often encounters that could go any way - negotiation, interaction, battle, or maybe they'll never even say a word to them. It'd be really handy to have things ready to go for whatever.

Domigorgon
2011-03-17, 07:12 PM
It seems this thread is going down the drain as well... which is a shame, as the offer for submissions/collaborations remains open indefinitely.

If at any time in the future anyone stumbles upon this thread and finds its purpose interesting, send us an e-mail to the aforementioned address.