PDA

View Full Version : Griffon Cohort

Tyger
2011-03-15, 10:50 AM
My level 12 bard has exhausted the feats that I wanted him to have, and I have gained permission to take the Leadership feat to get a Griffon cohort. Which sounds great (though very sub-optimal I know) on paper, but raises some questions moving forward.

1) What is the best way to advance it as it levels up? More racial HD, or a class? If a class, which one? Fighter actually seems like it wouldn't be the end of the world, just for some extra feats: Fly-By Attack and maybe Improved Grapple (for lifting folks up and dropping them) come to mind.

2) Gear??? I've never even really considered gear for a beast before - and it will come equipped with WBL appropriate gear - what sorts of things would be advantageous for a griffon to have / wear?

Any other concerns I should have? As for the followers, I think those are mostly going to be pretty much ignored, though I am tempted to start a network of spies with them... who knows. :)

Tyger
2011-03-15, 05:44 PM
Not one suggestion from the esteemed GitPlaygrounders?

Or is the idea just that bad?

Thurbane
2011-03-15, 06:18 PM
One piece of gear I would recommend is a Pearl of Speech (MIC), so he can speak Common, as well as understanding it.

I would recommend class level over RHD. A Fighter dip (2 levels) followed by Scout, maybe?

Also, the Air Heritage feat is pretty solid: +30 fly speed for 1 feat...

Tyger
2011-03-15, 06:53 PM
One piece of gear I would recommend is a Pearl of Speech (MIC), so he can speak Common, as well as understanding it.

I would recommend class level over RHD. A Fighter dip (2 levels) followed by Scout, maybe?

Also, the Air Heritage feat is pretty solid: +30 fly speed for 1 feat...

Air Heritage, nice!

The speech isn't too much of an issue, as my bard has Telepathy. Scout for the skirmish sounds like a good idea.

Cog
2011-03-15, 06:57 PM
The only use for more racial HD is for size - that's why a lot of monster characters like to instead get hit with level drain to lose their racial HD. On the other hand, with a griffon you only need to take three Magical Beast HD to get +8 Str, +4 Con, and +3 natural armor - if having your cohort now being Huge size isn't too much of a problem, that's not horrible.

Burnheart
2011-03-15, 06:58 PM
If you want to go mad, try Druid or Wildshape Ranger for a shapeshifting mount:smallwink:

gbprime
2011-03-15, 07:26 PM
I gotta second getting Scout levels. And the Diving Charge feat from Races of the Wild, followed by Improved Skirmish (of course).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-15, 07:51 PM
For gear, there is the Pectoral of Maneuverability in the Draconomicon which improves maneuverability by one step (12k) or by two steps with the greater version (which cost 90 k).

Also an amulet of natural weapons (savage species) might be a good investment, depending on the amount of natural attacks a griffon has (too lazy to check the srd)

Thurbane
2011-03-15, 08:30 PM
The speech isn't too much of an issue, as my bard has Telepathy. Scout for the skirmish sounds like a good idea.
Fair enough, but it can still be handy if he needs to communicate with someone else while you're not around. They're pretty cheap. :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2011-03-15, 08:32 PM
Fair enough, but it can still be handy if he needs to communicate with someone else while you're not around. They're pretty cheap. :smallbiggrin:

Aww... but the Wookie Rule is fun! :smallbiggrin:

lightningcat
2011-03-15, 09:05 PM
If you aren't using the ring slots for anything else, you might go for Claws of the Ripper (from the Draconomicon). 2000 gp for a x4 criticals for claw attacks is always fun.
Double check that they would work for a nondragon, people argue this point both ways.

Bracers of armor is probably a better choice then barding, because IIRC you can't fly in medium or heavy barding, or when carrying more then a light load.

But anything that improves flying ability or speed, improves natural attacks, or lets them manipulate objects more easily should be considered.

Thurbane
2011-03-15, 09:19 PM
Mithril Chain Shirt barding is OK. If your Griffon has a low will save, you can throw the Mind Armor enhancement on there.

I'm not sure a griffon can wear gauntlets, but if it can, Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane - melee attacks count as magic and silver.

Tyger
2011-03-15, 09:35 PM
Thanks all! These are some good tips, and are reinforcing my plans with this cohort. I think the Scout with the Air Heritage feat and the Pectoral sound great, 110' Fly speed with Good maneuverability sounds like a path to riches and glory!

Of course, with my DFI bard singing on his/her back, a pounce with two rakes could dish out one hell of a lot of damage too... can't wait to see it in action!

Tvtyrant
2011-03-15, 10:33 PM
Bard 1/Barbarian/Dragon Disciple for stat boosts, full BaB and d12 HP :P

Lyndworm
2011-03-15, 11:07 PM
Rather than just Scout, you might want to look into a Swift Hunter build. Instead of the Ranger's TWF or Archery Combat Styles, you could work with your DM to make one appropriate for a griffon or use the Strongarm style from Dragon Magazine (Power Attack -> Improved Sunder -> Great Cleave).

As for items, quadrupeds can wear the following:

One skull cap or helm
One pair of lenses or goggles
One collar
One saddle blanket or vest
One saddle or jacket
One belt or strap worn in front of or over the haunches
One pectoral or harness worn over the chest or shoulders
One pair foreleg bracers
One pair of foreleg shoes or mitts (hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts)
Two rings (creatures with toes wear rings on the toes and creatures with hooves wear "rings" just above fore hooves)
One pair of hind leg shoes or mitts (hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts)

There are magical Spiked Gauntlets in Savage Species that add +1d6 to claw damage... You might want to check those out. (It heavily implies that non-humanoids like Magical Beasts can use them.)

Socko525
2011-03-18, 07:49 AM
Where are the rules/pricing for armor(barding) for animals/familiars, etc located?

Tyger
2011-03-18, 07:51 AM
Check here on the SRD for the basic answer. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)

Darrin
2011-03-18, 09:18 AM
1) What is the best way to advance it as it levels up? More racial HD, or a class? If a class, which one? Fighter actually seems like it wouldn't be the end of the world, just for some extra feats: Fly-By Attack and maybe Improved Grapple (for lifting folks up and dropping them) come to mind.

Is Tome of Battle available? Warblade/Swordsage/Crusader would be very nice. Most strikes are standard actions, so those work well with Flyby Attack.

2) Gear??? I've never even really considered gear for a beast before - and it will come equipped with WBL appropriate gear - what sorts of things would be advantageous for a griffon to have / wear?

After the Pearl of Speech:

Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC p. 188). Your Griffon has Pounce? Well, now so do you. Command-word activated (thanks to the Pearl of Speech) floating disk at will. Allows you to ride along with your companion, something like a "pouncing sidecar". You gain a lot of the benefits of a mount without some of the drawbacks: your "mount" doesn't have to be large, you can use your mount's faster speed, no ride checks or falling out of a saddle, +1 attack bonus for being 3' higher than your opponent, and you can full attack after your mount is done moving.

Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80). Allows you to shrink a larger mount down to a more dungeon-friendly small size. Also can be used to bring tiny or smaller creatures *up* to small size. Your griffon has an Int of 5, so no need to check for panic. Also works on humanoids, if you need to squeeze down a narrow passage for some reason.

Your griffon can also become a Dragonborn of Bahumat. He can already fly, but now you can give him a breath weapon or darkvision/blindsense.

As for the followers, I think those are mostly going to be pretty much ignored, though I am tempted to start a network of spies with them... who knows. :)

Make sure a few of them are at least 1st level Warlocks or Dragonfire Adepts. Several useful low-level but all-day buffs, and never pay for an identify spell again.

Socko525
2011-03-18, 10:02 AM
Another item that's not bad is the Collar of Healing (MIC pg 89). Its only 5000 gp. As long as you're on the same plane you can activate the collar and it heals whatever's wearing it for 50 hp and removes fatigue or exhaustion. As a bonus you will always know its hit point total (it doesn't say, but I assume it means as long as you're on the same plane) It only functions once per day but it can save you or the healer from having to waste an action tending to the griffon.

The only potential issue is the text says it can only be worn by an animal companion, familiar, or mount. But if I was running the game I'd allow it to work on an animal/magical beast cohort.

Tyger
2011-03-18, 10:19 AM
Is Tome of Battle available? Warblade/Swordsage/Crusader would be very nice. Most strikes are standard actions, so those work well with Flyby Attack.

Yes, it is in, and those are good points. Thanks for the reminder.

Talisman of the Sphere (500 GP, MIC p. 188). Your Griffon has Pounce? Well, now so do you. Command-word activated (thanks to the Pearl of Speech) floating disk at will. Allows you to ride along with your companion, something like a "pouncing sidecar". You gain a lot of the benefits of a mount without some of the drawbacks: your "mount" doesn't have to be large, you can use your mount's faster speed, no ride checks or falling out of a saddle, +1 attack bonus for being 3' higher than your opponent, and you can full attack after your mount is done moving.

My Magic Item Compendium does not have this item - am I insane or is this maybe from a different book? This sounds, frankly, too awesome not to invest in.

Darrin
2011-03-18, 11:34 AM
My Magic Item Compendium does not have this item - am I insane or is this maybe from a different book? This sounds, frankly, too awesome not to invest in.

Whoops. Sorry, I failed my Knowledge: Geometry check. Should be Talisman of the Disk. (Talisman of the Sphere is an artifact in the DMG for when you want to pounce with a black hole.)

Tyger
2011-03-18, 12:16 PM
Whoops. Sorry, I failed my Knowledge: Geometry check. Should be Talisman of the Disk. (Talisman of the Sphere is an artifact in the DMG for when you want to pounce with a black hole.)

Ahhhh....

Personally, I don't think that would work for a flying critter. Sure, it could have the disk when it was walking, but when it took to the air, the disk would wink out.

Per the SRD:

The disk also winks out if you move beyond range or try to take the disk more than 3 feet away from the surface beneath it. When the disk winks out, whatever it was supporting falls to the surface beneath it.

Darrin
2011-03-18, 01:16 PM
Personally, I don't think that would work for a flying critter. Sure, it could have the disk when it was walking, but when it took to the air, the disk would wink out.

Yes, that could be a bit of a headache, but show me in the SRD where it says a flying creature can't fly 3' above the ground.

gbprime
2011-03-18, 01:34 PM
Ahhhh....

Per the SRD:

Sounds like someone needs a Howard's Handy Hoversack. :smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-18, 04:30 PM
If you're worried about speech, a Pearl of Speech (MIC) is only 600 gp. If you REALLY want to improve that griffon, there's a class out of Unapproachable East called the Aglarondan Griffon Rider. It doesn't progress spells, but it'll progress the hell out of your mount.

Tyger
2011-03-18, 05:16 PM
Yes, that could be a bit of a headache, but show me in the SRD where it says a flying creature can't fly 3' above the ground.

Well, yeah. But why bother? :smalltongue: My bard is already able to walk at that height.

Sounds like someone needs a Howard's Handy Hoversack. :smalltongue:

/groan

Bad pun is bad. :smallbiggrin: