PDA

View Full Version : Customizing a high level NPC

pwykersotz
2011-03-15, 02:57 PM
First off, Jeff, Brian, or the rest of my group, if you're reading this, go away. No sneak peeks for you. Seriously.

Second, warning. Wall of text ahead.

Now that that's taken care of, I have a couple of high powered level 20's in my world that are the originals of my first two players. These guys are adventuring about doing mostly diplomatic missions, but I want to have a fun challenge for combat as well.

Several starts:
The world is original. One of these two is the Herald of the god of good, the other is one of the heroes of legend.
This is a very high-power campaign. Almost no magic is out of reach (except epic) and their stats are all through the roof. Around 30+ for most.
One is a level 20 Warblade, the other is a level 20 Dragonblooded (homebrew class found on dungeons.wikia)

The Warblade with his double full round attacks and haste and +5 Elven Courtblades with Improved Critical can usually dish out over 600 damage in a single full round attack if he wants. The Dragonblooded has a couple of dragon prestige class elements in his advancement that allow him to use a breath weapon 3/day that does about 500 damage (but it takes a round to charge.

I have made a Herald to the god of Neutrality who I think is capable of challenging both at once and I need ideas for the feats. I have designed her to be level 18.

Here she is:
Sera
Beguiler 3 / Rainbow Servant 10 / Shadowcraft Mage 5

Her third level of beguiler is leveled last, giving the benefit of Advanced Learning late on.

She has the Vow of Poverty, but with the feats expanded to allow any feat (something allowed in general in my game).

Rainbow Servant is being allowed text over table, granting full spellcasting progression and giving the entire cleric spell list to be casted spontaneously at level 10 (due to Beguiler casting their entire spell list).

She's able to take it so early using the heighten trick with the starting feats (2 flaws) being *Flaw (Sacred Vow), Flaw(Vow of Poverty), Standard(Earth Sense), Standard(Earth Spell), Exalted(Heighten Spell)* and with *Exalted(Sanctum Spell) at second level.

Now I'm at kind of a loss. Should I build her with monk based feats to augment her physical damage? Should I go pure spellcasting progression with Mobile Spellcasting and Metamagic? What's a min/maxing gm to do? There are 12 feats left after Spell Focus: Illusion for the Shadowcraft qualifier.

Her strategy is to find a save haven for her body, sanctuary, astral project, buff and challenge them to minimize actual danger to herself. She has 36 Int, so her spells castable from 0-9 are 6/10/9/9/9/9/8/7/6/4.

Bakkan
2011-03-15, 03:32 PM
She should definitely pick up Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon) to be able to cast more high-level spells. If she were to use it as much as possible, her spells per day would look like 0/3/6/5/5/5/4/5/3/7. You probably don't want to use it this much, but that's the nice thing about spontaneous spellcasters.

Aharon
2011-03-15, 03:38 PM
Do the PCs have any way at all to deal with her tactic? I don't think you need to optimize her a lot, as she is never in any actual danger because of her use of astral projection. I don't know anything Warblades have that can deal with this ability.

pwykersotz
2011-03-15, 03:54 PM
It's not about them dealing with the actual person. The person themselves is ultimately their ally. There's just a reason for her to test them right now.

They do in fact have ways to challange her, mostly the fact that they have a cavalcade of random magic items and very nice saves. Harm is probably going to be her main damage method if the ability damage doesn't work out.

The difficulty is largely in the action economy. She'll be getting the drop on them, so no worries for preparation, but these are still very well equipped, high level characters and it's two on one.

Bakkan
2011-03-15, 04:18 PM
It sounds like she needs some Celerity cheese. Find a way for her to get Celerity on her spell list, then find a way for her to become immune to dazing (Favor of the Martyr is a Paladin spell that does this I believe) or to eliminate the dazing effect after it has occurred (Contingent Heal, e.g). She could be matching the Warblade's action economy if the can spam Celerities.

pwykersotz
2011-03-15, 04:32 PM
Meh, too far. I do have some limits. :smallbiggrin:

The point is actually to have the characters win against the astral projection. I just need to make it hard.