PDA

View Full Version : Rider PrC

BenTheJester
2011-03-15, 03:15 PM
Since CrystalKeep is down(it was a matter of time until it did), finding prestige classes has been kinda hard...

Anyways, I'm looking for prestige classes that give bonus abilities when mounted, this is for a Cohort for a Dread Necromancer, so he will not have always the same mount, and will almost always ride exotic mounts(hydras, remorhaz, zombie dragons, etc).

I know of the halfling outrider and the dragonrider, what are the other possibilities?

Tyndmyr
2011-03-15, 04:22 PM
If memory serves, there was some sort of knight class in Comp Warrior that does that. Purple Dragon Knight, perhaps? It's fuzzy.

Zaydos
2011-03-15, 04:27 PM
Cavalier gives a bonus to attacks with longsword and lance while mounted, as well as bonus damage on a charge a number of times per day depending upon class level, stacks with paladin levels for a special mount (but doesn't give you one), and gives you a +8 on ride checks. Page 19 of Complete Warrior. Requires Lawful.

Amphetryon
2011-03-15, 04:35 PM
Ashworm Dragoon springs to mind, from Sandstorm.

Akal Saris
2011-03-15, 04:38 PM
Cavalier is probably the best bet besides halfling outrider. Most rider PrCs are devoted to a single creature type.

Last Laugh
2011-03-15, 04:57 PM
Ashworm Dragoon springs to mind, from Sandstorm.

I bet it's tricky to make an undead ashworm tho >.< (I'd say no skeletal ashworms. unless they actually have bonestructure)
Ashworm Dragoon is a very nice mounted PrC.

Crossblade
2011-03-15, 05:01 PM
There's a Dragon Rider PrC in... either Races of Dragon or Draconomicon. I'm away from my books at the moment... but I don't recall it being a very exciting class.

Blas_de_Lezo
2011-03-15, 05:04 PM
If I can recall, the Cavalier has a broken charge special ability. If your DM allows you to go around with your horse, you should be able to charge anything to death.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-03-15, 05:13 PM
If I can recall, the Cavalier has a broken charge special ability. If your DM allows you to go around with your horse, you should be able to charge anything to death.

As long as the enemy is in range, there is a straight path to them, said path has no difficult terrain, the foe is visible and corporeal, and probably a few more factors, yes. Until you run out of uses per day, anyway. Still broken?:smallwink:

Last Laugh
2011-03-15, 05:17 PM
I feel so dumb!

Wild Plains outrider from Complete adventurer gives:
+1 ride per level
Mount uses riders hide/movesilently checks
+10 foot speed
Full attack if you don't move twice in a round.
stacks w/ druid/ranger/pally for ranger/mount

Only downside is that you have to have an animal companion or special mount, Mounted combat, and Track. only 3 levels long so it's great to slip into a build for the speed boost(all modes) and kinda pounce (but with turning!)

Edit: I feel dumb for forgetting it :smallredface:

Zaq
2011-03-15, 08:07 PM
Unseelie Dark Hunter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a). It was the last Iron Chef ingredient, so there's some fun ideas there if you're into that sort of thing. It neither provides nor advances a mount, but it makes any mount you ride faster.

Andion Isurand
2011-03-15, 08:12 PM
You could try re-fluffing the Silverwood Arcanist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a) so it suits more exotic mounts.