PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need in-game ideas on how to restore the Kobold race

Bakkan
2011-03-15, 03:17 PM
So I am playing a game with two other players in which we are three brothers, all Dragonwrought Kobolds. The cheesiest thing we're using the race for is immunity to humanoid-only effects and free +3 Int, Wis, and Cha. The setting is approximately bronze-age European (lots of forests, limited technology, iron is rare and powerful).

Information about the setting is spoilered below for length

About 80 years ago there was a plague that ripped through the Kobold race, killing everyone we knew. We believe that we survived because of the greater concentration of dragon blood in our veins, but as far as we know we are the only Kobolds left in the world. We are currently traveling through lands inhabited by humans, gnomes, and lizardfolk searching for an ancient Kobold city. We have gathered in our travels that in this part of the world the Kobolds were once the dominant empire. We have not yet discovered whether the empire ended because of the plague or not. However, we have discovered that there was one evil Kobold mage that rose to power a Long TimeTM ago, who was only defeated by a powerful good Kobold mage named Truevision. We have found evidence of the Kobold empire all over the place, mainly in the form of archways apparently of Kobold design standing over and beside roads carved in a script we do not recognize.

We (the party) have recently discovered and uncovered a cult of mages operating below a human town in catacombs of Kobold make. We have converted the dragon who was supporting them to join our side, and since then we have established an open government with actual laws and so forth. In short, we have a base of operations from which to operate if we need to. In fact, I as the Wizard have been teleporting back there regularly to work on magic items and spell scribing.

The party is now continuing its journey toward the rumored Kobold city.

Most relevant information: We 3 Kobolds are, as far as we know, the only Kobolds left in the world.

I wish to restore the Kobold race to its "proper" place of dominance in the world, or at least get a population of Kobolds started so that the race doesn't die out with us. All three of us are venerable, so ideally our plan would not take more than about 20 or 30 years. However, I am not averse to finding means of immortality in order to continue the quest if necessary.

How would you do this, or what ideas do you have? I'm interested in both published rules and in stuff we'd have to homebrew, though I'd like to do something more interesting than just research the spell "Create Kobold Race." I would also like to get something that I could accomplish before epic.

The Party Makeup is Below

Eldest Brother (Me):

Dragonwrought Kobold Conjurer 3/Sorcerer 1/Master Conjurer 1/Ultimate Magus 5

I'm primarily acting as buffbot, utility, and crowd control, with a little blasting thrown in since there are only three of us. I have a penchant for teleportation spells and use them often.

Younger Brother:

Dragonwrought Kobold Unarmed Swordsage 11

Deals a lot of damage in melee, uses Assassin's Stance with flanking or the invisibility-granting maneuver to gain sneak attack on his many attacks (TWF + Snap Kick). Needs soem more ranged options, we're working on that.

Youngest Brother:

Dragonwrought Kobold Factotum 11

Rolled exceptionally well for his stats, uses Knowledge Devotion to great effect. Most of his combat damage comes from his bow, though his healing and SLAs have also come in handy.

Gwic
2011-03-15, 04:01 PM
My intial (creepy) thoughts:

Eugenics. Interbreed with some very different species and get some half-kobolds, keep them all in a community, and favor descendents with more-kobold appearance. Descendents will be on a kobold/other-species spectrum. Make Kobold traits the desirable/favored ones. Starting a cult that follows these practices is feasible in 20-30 years.

Creationism. Go on a quest to find some divine instrument that could make living beings (a forge or some sort? or a spawning pool? who knows!) Or just win the favor of a deity and get them to do it.

Permanent polymorph/curse spells. Transform a population into kobolds and let them do the rest. Does it only affect them if they live in such-and-such land? Is it reversible for some?

Time travel - Go back in time, find some female kobolds, and bring them back to the modern day.

The Dragon that Wought You. It almost sounds like you race is named after it's creation. What dragon wought you? Can he do it again?

Cloning. Does your race really need more than 3 unique individuals? Why not xerox yourselves to eternity!

JaronK
2011-03-15, 06:43 PM
First of all, Dragonwrought Kobolds live a LOT longer than normal Kobolds (see the table in Races of the Dragon). You've got time to work with.

Second, Kobolds spawned from the blood of the first immortal dragons as they cut themselves to make new dragons. Those dragons don't exist anymore, but Bahamut and Tiamat do... and their blood could likely spawn new kobolds as well (they'd probably even be Dragonwrought due to being so fresh!). Consider making a deal with one (or both) of those deities.

Resurrect dead Kobolds. You need to find the bodies. If you can figure out to get True Resurrection as a Spell Like Ability somehow, you could bring back a heck of a lot of minidragons for your cause. If you can get more dragons to interbreed with the newly brought back Kobolds, you could inject more dragonney goodness into your race.

Spell research. The DMG does let you create new spells. Consider a spell that could spawn Kobolds from normal dragonblood. Figure out a way to respectfully get dragon blood from an ally dragon. Spawn up some Kobolds that way. Or perhaps a spell that makes a baby Kobold of identical genetics from the remains of a dead kobold?

JaronK

senrath
2011-03-15, 07:04 PM
If you can make it to Epics, you can research the epic spell "Origin of Species: Kobold". Just take "Origin of Species: Achaierai" and replace all instances of the word "achaierai" with "kobold".

The Glyphstone
2011-03-15, 07:44 PM
If you can make it to Epics, you can research the epic spell "Origin of Species: Kobold". Just take "Origin of Species: Achaierai" and replace all instances of the word "achaierai" with "kobold".

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/originOfSpeciesAchaierai.htm

Including the 50d6/round backlash damage for every round the creature exists, until you die or you kill it out of self-preservation?

LOTRfan
2011-03-15, 07:47 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/originOfSpeciesAchaierai.htm

Including the 50d6/round backlash damage for every round the creature exists, until you die or you kill it out of self-preservation?

You could get rid of that, for a DC of 88. In that case, I suggest pumping up you're Spellcraft skill now.

senrath
2011-03-15, 09:24 PM
I think that damage is only supposed to happen once. But, yeah, you could easily get rid of that and either pump your Spellcraft or use other forms of mitigation.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-15, 11:01 PM
One of the options in the Reincarnate spell is Kobold. Use the Last Breath version in Spell Compendium. Get a bunch of people, spend a few months making them kobolds, breed them.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-16, 09:35 AM
Over a century ago a kobold prophet foresaw the near-extinction of his race. He convinced several tribes to each put hundreds of eggs in a state of magical suspended animation, to be awakened by the 'chosen ones' after the plague had passed. Your characters now must track down the abandoned villages of their people, and brave their traps to find and awaken the eggs in order to hatch the next generation of their race...

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 10:24 AM
Obviously Punpun is your god... ask him for a boon or 12.

But in all seriousness, I'm really not sure how to- ...oh my, I didn't think of that. No, no I refuse to say this, no, no.

Ernir
2011-03-17, 10:41 AM
Polymorph any Object on some iguanas?

Bayar
2011-03-17, 11:07 AM
So, is gender-switching and incest out of the question ?

Bakkan
2011-03-17, 11:29 AM
So, is gender-switching and incest out of the question ?

Yes, gor genetic degradation reasons and general squickiness :smallwink:

Great ideas, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Telonius
2011-03-17, 12:14 PM
Hmmm, Simulacrum plus Ice to Flesh (from Frostburn) might be able to do it for the Cloning.

It's possible that some Killer Gnome shenanigans would be able to create a permanent 100%-real illusion from scratch, though I'm not familiar enough with the spells to say for sure.

Caliphbubba
2011-03-17, 12:21 PM
you're a conjurer, right? Can you conjuer some fiendish/celestial kobolds?

if so maybe there is the chance of some planar binding type shenanigans that can happen later on.

Jair Barik
2011-03-17, 12:56 PM
If your going the epic spell route modifying the Origin of species spell you can automatically subtract about 56 or more from the DC due to all the abilities of the Achaierai that add to the spells DC in the first place.

This would actually put the DC at -18 (though all the crazy cast time and such like remain).

Bakkan
2011-03-17, 03:07 PM
Well, I'm still going to be looking for things that I can do pre-epic, but here's a try at creating an Origin of Species: Kobold epic spell. If you notice something that has been done incorrectly, please let me know, as I am a newbie when it comes to epic spells.

Origin of Species: Kobold
Spellcraft DC: 49
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 11 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One constructed creature of small size
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: 441,000 gp; 9 days; 17,640 XP.

Seeds: Conjure (DC 21), Life (DC 27), Fortify (DC 17)
Factors: +1 natural to AC (+2?), add three more natural attacks (ad hoc +6 DC), permanent (×5 DC)
Spellcraft DC before mitigating factors: 365
Mitigating Factors: Increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC), eight additional casters contributing 4th-level spell slots (-56 DC), sixteen additional casters contributing 3rd-level spell slots (-80 DC), thirty-two additional casters contributing 2nd-level spell slots (-96 DC), sixty-four additional casters contributing 1st-level spell slots (-64 DC)
Total Mitigation: 316
Final Spellcraft DC: 49

This spell creates a living kobold.

Caliphbubba
2011-03-17, 06:48 PM
well if you're going with Epic magic, I think you can accomplish this with just the Seed: Life. Didn't you say the kobold plague was 80 years ago? With the Life Seed you can resurrect something up to 200 years dead from a part of their body. Find some skeletons in your abandoned Kobold city and have at it.

super cheesy epic spellery under the cut
Kobold Resurgence
Spellcraft DC: 27 +4touch to target +10target to area +2 20ft radius+20 increase area 500%
increase casting time 10min -20, 2 additional 9th level spells -34, 1 additional 5th level spell -9
Final DC: 0

Arachu
2011-03-17, 08:51 PM
Consider becoming a Lich, if you run out of time. Whether your Wizard half uses Necromancy or not, your Sorcerer side can.

Make some sort of base of operations ahead of time (or, if no-one will build it for you, find a nice spot to start from early on). Remember that it needs to be self-sufficient and hard to find. You don't need some Human with some nonsense to prove burning your camp down.

Perhaps the aforementioned cultists wouldn't mind a polymorph? They could make a nice starting population and provide you with said base (if you don't mind operating out of the sewers for a while). Whatever you do, don't use the polymorph method on things that haven't already agreed to be Kobolds. If they remember anything, they'll ruin your day in an uprising. Or just stab you.

See if you can ally with more dragons. Even if they're unwilling to provide some genes, they can still be valuable defenders and guides. They'll probably want to be in charge, so if you do that, choose a metallic one. They're usually sort of reasonable...

If you take on some dragons, don't let them breed too often. The last thing you need to do is turn your resurrection attempt into a new species on accident (however neat that might be).

Maybe Lizardfolk can breed with Kobolds?

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 09:01 PM
For Epic Magic, where's all the extra casters to contribute their spell slots coming from? There's only 3 of you, and only 1 caster.

Caliphbubba
2011-03-17, 10:06 PM
For Epic Magic, where's all the extra casters to contribute their spell slots coming from? There's only 3 of you, and only 1 caster.

Gate. Planar Binding. if it's that kinda party.

Skaven
2011-03-18, 03:59 AM
Get volunteers, make liberal Polymorph any object when you get high enough. Let nature do the rest.

Could do this earlier if your DM lets you research a lower level instant duration polymorph to Kobold (singular) spell.

grimbold
2011-03-18, 12:00 PM
you need to resurrect some dead kobolds if at all possible, then you can start breeding, slowly but surely yhou can come back to dominate