PDA

View Full Version : Where do I fit as a player?

Omnomnom
2011-03-15, 04:25 PM
So I've been role playing (via the internet) for quite a while. I've played in several campaigns and have run a few myself.
Most of these games were with the same group of people; we also didn't adhere to any set of rules, leaving the GM in charge for all outcomes (no dice rolling- GM often made us choose between numbers and letters for the really tough ones).
Fortunately, none of us needed to be better than the other and we were a group working with the GM (not against). It worked well.

Now that our core group has gone their separate ways, I find myself having a very difficult time finding any game or group to mesh with. I've found that freeform, by itself, lacks structure and often times is not run by an active GM.

I love full, epic campaigns with a plot and world filled with NPCs all orchestrated by a GM. But what I enjoy even more is character development. Sweet, sweet character development with just a hint of dramatics. Character stats and dice based battles have no meaning to me (maybe they should).

So with that said: Being somewhat of a veteran player in a general sense and fresh blood overall... Where do I fit? Is there a name for the above description or a set of rules closely resembling it?

Are most campaigns intricately involved with character development (GM willing) and I just need to suck it up and read some recommended rule books?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-15, 04:28 PM
You played freeform. A very specific form of freeform, sure...but that's what it was.

I wonder if you'd enjoy a local larp(of the talky kind, not the hitty kind). They seem to trend that way in general, though rules generally still exist, and some stats are written down.

Omnomnom
2011-03-15, 04:36 PM
You played freeform. A very specific form of freeform, sure...but that's what it was.

Ahh, that's unfortunate.

As far as LARPing goes, I think that might fall out of my range of interest. One of the bigger things that draws me into role playing is the writing.

And I do like battles, etc. Just not where it's the primary focus, I suppose.

linebackeru
2011-03-15, 05:03 PM
Looking for a well-written story with no dice-rolling, where the GM is responsible for all outcomes?

This is perfect:

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?env=web&visgrp=fiction&bncatid=1380980&cds2Pid=17011&linkid=1407541

Omnomnom
2011-03-15, 05:19 PM
Looking for a well-written story with no dice-rolling....

I didn't mean that as literally as it might have been taken. The GM was responsible for most things that dice would have taken care of otherwise. Players still had to make decisions and react in a proper way.

Like Tyndmyr mentioned, it does seem like the games we played were a more specific form of freeform.

So I suppose I'm looking for a game system that might cater more towards a new player.

Doc Roc
2011-03-15, 05:24 PM
Looking for a well-written story with no dice-rolling, where the GM is responsible for all outcomes?

This is perfect:

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?env=web&visgrp=fiction&bncatid=1380980&cds2Pid=17011&linkid=1407541

I'll admit I did crack up, but Amber might be a lovely solution here.

Engine
2011-03-15, 05:33 PM
You could find another group. Even a D&D group.
Dice rolling =\= always bashing doors and kill things so you could take their stuff. You could have character development, interesting worlds full of NPCs and a well-written story with every system, not just freeform. Just find the right group.
Just to say, I love those things as you. But I will never play freeform (tried a couple of times, found them really boring). The game system you use is just a tool. Use it as you see fit. As said above: just find the right group that puts more efforts in those things than stats and dice-rolling.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-15, 05:42 PM
I tried freeform a fair bit. My biggest problem is that it often ended up too undirected. Instead of one grand story, you often end up with half a dozen loosely connected stories as everyone focuses on what interests them.

I suspect the results may have been just the groups. Finding a solid group can be hard. This true with or without dice.

I have seen some fantastic adventures with great stories in plenty of systems though. My favorite RPG in general is 7th Sea, and I suspect you'd enjoy it. It's extremely heavy on story and is a very dramatic system, built to encourage players to engage in dramatic acts. It's also fairly inexpensive on DriveThruRPG. I believe the compendium is even free.

Find a game(but be flexible about it...the system is a tool to an end, not a goal in itself), and more importantly, find people that share your interests.

Strawberries
2011-03-15, 05:48 PM
You could find another group. Even a D&D group.
Dice rolling =\= always bashing doors and kill things so you could take their stuff. You could have character development, interesting worlds full of NPC and a well-written story with every system, not just freeform. Just find the right group.
Just to say, I love those things as you. But I will never play freeform (tried a couple of times, found them really boring). The game system you use is just a tool. Use it as you see fit. As said above: just find the right group that put more efforts in those things than stats and dice-rolling.

Couldn't agree more. It's the group, not the system. I like the same things (story and character development over fighting and having a powerful character) and I play D&D. It's all in finding a group who likes the same things you do.

Omnomnom
2011-03-15, 06:33 PM
Good to hear! I suppose it is about finding like minded individuals. I will check out the above mentioned game systems.

Marillion
2011-03-15, 08:06 PM
I will second Tyndymyr's recommendation of 7th Sea. The mechanics of the game are built to reward character development (and awesomeness in general) while keeping dice rolling simple and easy. It's perfect for those who grew up on tales of derring-do and swashbuckling. In addition, the rules aren't horribly restrictive, and anything they don't cover the GM just makes a simple call on, and life goes on. It's a lot of fun.

Britter
2011-03-17, 01:44 PM
I like 7th Sea. It is a good system with a good focus and a simple and useable mechanic. Totaly worth giving a try.

I must also plug the Burning Wheel, which is in my opinion a system all about character development and how characters change under pressure. However it is a very rules-and-rolling heavy system, much more coherent than 3.5 DnD or Shadowrun, but with a still sizeable amount of rules. On the plus side, the rules are fairly modular, so you can use the core resolution mechnaics and only branch out into the sundry subsystems if you are 1) comfortable with them and 2) if you want to use them.

You might also want to check out some of Jared Sorensen's work. inSpectres, for instance, is very rules light, pretty tightly built, and easy and fun. It does simulate a rather specific genre, that of stories like Ghostbusters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Men in Black, but it is a great little game.

The indie game scene can be a little hit-or-miss at times, but there are several great games done by very skilled designers if you do a little digging, and they may appeal to you more than DnD and other similar systems.