PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia Problem [3.5e]

Moose Man
2011-03-15, 04:50 PM
How do things that don't sleep recover spells/pp? Is there a table that i can find that illustrates this, or is it just "8 hours and you recover spell slots/pp." Always has been kinda confusing to me. :smallredface:

Kaje
2011-03-15, 04:55 PM
You don't need to sleep. Just take an extended rest.

SubtleSanity
2011-03-15, 04:57 PM
The Alienist, at a certain level, no longer needs to sleep. They just have to spend a few hours quietly contemplating the far realms.

I imagine its the same for others. They don't need to sleep, just spend time resting or meditating.

Grendus
2011-03-15, 05:00 PM
I always thought the 8 hours rest thing was kind of weird. I see no reason why you couldn't have the elf wizard of the party trance for 4 hours and then take a peaceful watch for the rest of the night (as I recall, in OOTS that's why Roy was always taking watch all night), or even have the warforged artificer take watch all night. So long as it's not a stressful watch (say, if you have no reason to think you're being followed but don't want to take chances), I see no reason why you couldn't memorize spells afterwards.

Welknair
2011-03-15, 05:14 PM
I concur. The usual verdict is that you must spend 8 hours without any sort of extensive mental activity to regain your spells/pp. Whether this is sleep or not is irrelevant. Thus it's up to your DM whether or not you can do very light activities while fulfilling this. I personally would allow it.

Thurbane
2011-03-15, 08:33 PM
As someone who suffers sporadic insomnia, I can assure you it is entirely possible to rest 8 hours without actually sleeping. You'll feel like crud the next day, but you'll be able to function. My personal "record" is 4 days without sleep running, while working an 8 hour day, each day. :smalleek:

Jack Zander
2011-03-16, 12:24 AM
As someone who suffers sporadic insomnia, I can assure you it is entirely possible to rest 8 hours without actually sleeping. You'll feel like crud the next day, but you'll be able to function. My personal "record" is 4 days without sleep running, while working an 8 hour day, each day. :smalleek:

Well, being able to function isn't the same as being rested enough to prepare spells. But then again, maybe it is since sleeping is entirely irrelevant for all characters in DnD, so long as they "rest."

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-16, 12:26 AM
Hey, V could cast spells without trancing. :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-16, 02:14 AM
At the cost of the worst case of bloodshot eyes seen since the hemp fire of '67 and and the worst case of varicose veins since the Sunnyvale Seniors Home Cheerleading Squad of '98.:smalleek:

Thurbane
2011-03-16, 02:29 AM
Well, being able to function isn't the same as being rested enough to prepare spells. But then again, maybe it is since sleeping is entirely irrelevant for all characters in DnD, so long as they "rest."
Exactly. :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-16, 04:26 AM
At the cost of the worst case of bloodshot eyes seen since the hemp fire of '67 and and the worst case of varicose veins since the Sunnyvale Seniors Home Cheerleading Squad of '98.:smalleek:

Hey, I said it was possible, not good.

mikau013
2011-03-17, 08:10 PM

Well unless I'm mistaken technically, you don't lose unspent spell slots or prepared magic. So if she just didn't expend much :smallsmile:

(do ignore the fact that she was researching new spells and thus must have prepared those though!)

Moose Man
2011-03-18, 05:46 PM
Did you happen to see Skyline?:smallbiggrin: