PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Iron Man via Traps

The Rabbler
2011-03-15, 04:56 PM
I came up with an idea for a tony-stark based character (hear me out). I decided that an artificer would fit nicely (designing magic items etc) and that the suit could be replicated with a series of auto-resetting magical traps on a full plate (fly for example).

My question to the playground is about traps in general; how can I get them to work like I want them to and is there a way to make their creation cheaper (much cheaper would be preferable)?

Also, would a trap fall under the artificer's Item Creation ability (assuming I also had craft (trapsmith))?

For an example, I want to make a trap of true seeing. By the rules in the DMG, a trap of true seeing (automatic reset) costs in the ballpark of 25000 gold and 2700 xp. Can that be reduced at all?

Mando Knight
2011-03-15, 05:38 PM
Tony Stark's a multi-gazillionaire, though, so it would kinda make sense that his beyond-state-of-the-art battle armor would cost every penny you could scrounge up.:smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-03-15, 05:45 PM
I have little to add to the trap-theory, but I did want to direct you to a homebrew effort you may or may not be aware of that does exactly what you want: The Magitech Templar, Mk X (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276).

I've played with it some, and it's quite effective. I have an NPC in my current campaign who is decently useful as a Magitech Templar at level 4 (having +1 blurring dwarven stone plate at level 4 is decently effective, lemme tell ya).

EDIT: Do note that the trap rules, due to being broken as hell, are vastly more powerful than the above (which was designed to be Tier 3 or thereabouts). However, the above is much easier to use and is far better balanced. YMMV.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-15, 05:51 PM
I came up with an idea for a tony-stark based character (hear me out). I decided that an artificer would fit nicely (designing magic items etc) and that the suit could be replicated with a series of auto-resetting magical traps on a full plate (fly for example).

My question to the playground is about traps in general; how can I get them to work like I want them to and is there a way to make their creation cheaper (much cheaper would be preferable)?

Also, would a trap fall under the artificer's Item Creation ability (assuming I also had craft (trapsmith))?

For an example, I want to make a trap of true seeing. By the rules in the DMG, a trap of true seeing (automatic reset) costs in the ballpark of 25000 gold and 2700 xp. Can that be reduced at all?There's feats to get it down a little in the Eberron Campaign Setting - Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan, although they don't help much (25% each on time, money, and XP - each one applies to one category, and errata gets rid of the stacking bit).