PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of the Kingdom OOC



Realms of Chaos
2011-03-15, 09:31 PM
Welcome to Shadows of the Kingdom, a psychological and horror-ish campaign inspired by good old silent hill. You guys may notice that you are starting out alone. Everyone will meet in due time but for now, everyone gets a bit of personal attention.

NPCs will be using various shades of gray speech but you can use whatever other colors you please (You can use multiple colors for your different forms if you want but only if you're fairly certain that you won't get them confused... and they have different voices, I suppose).

Also, could everyone who hasn't already PM me your sheets so I'll have everything?

That's most of what I said out of the way so now for more background information than I'll ever end up using (well, at least it fleshes out the setting).

Setting Information (now with new stuff)
Drachna: The primary human kingdom and main seat of power in the surrounding area. The nation has taken a rather laissez faire approach to magical industry, resulting in tremendous strides in production and efficiency but a repressed and hungry lower class, among which a “resistance” of sorts has formed. With the exception of those descended from Daenalus, the aristocracy of Drachna has been known to be its own worst enemy and new families seem to dry up each generation, prompting a good deal of rumors about the descendants of Daenalus.

It is in Drachna that the King of the empire, King Corinth, resides. In most ways, however, the king is a puppethead beyond the borders of Drachna. The other nations possess their own martial forces and Corinth dare not force the casters of his own nation to do anything, lest he be seen as impinging on their freedoms. Even so, most other nations agree to smaller requests and still send some portion of their taxes to the capital. Though it is technically true that there is only one real “kingdom” (that of Drachna), the Tolungar, Vespin, Sheel, and even Syrin are frequently referred to in such a way.

The actual nation of Drachna consists of a town by the same name (the capital) along with the towns of Telvon (which is formed around the only wizarding college in the kingdom), Gorros (a town famous for boldly ignoring most laws and restrictions placed on spellcasters and thus attracting them in droves), and a couple of smaller farming communities.

Tolungar: Originally a fully-elven kingdom to the northeast, humans have built towns and hamlets within the Tolungar forests and along its borders, forcing a certain degree of integration. Tolungar is a haven for the fine arts and is known for eloquence and more gentle forms of magic. Eerily, necromancy has proven especially common in this area as the elves don’t bother distinguishing one form of magic from another and a force of elven hexblades actually act as the main defenses of the kingdom. The elves are an elusive bunch and are the only beings with good memories of Daenalus (at least from the few occasions where he came into contact with them).

Tolungar consists of a human town called Relse (a logging community under close watch by the elves), Elvesburg (another human town formed as a “utopia” where lesser humans can learn from the greatness of elves, an arrangement that has fed the ego of said elves quite nicely for the past decade) and a couple more towns by the boundaries of the forest. Elven “towns” in Tolungar include Aesanth (the capital, formed from a conglomeration of homes built into trees), Neth (a rumored necropolis of elven necromancers that may or may not exist in reality), and any number of hidden elven communities.

Vespin: the small seaside kingdom just to the north of the Makrin mountains with a few more rural towns further inland. Vespin is known for its fish, produce, peaceful atmosphere, and for the hardy folk who hail from there. Unfortunately, Vespin is almost perpetually in debt to the dwarves of the southern mountains, leading a good portion of what the people produce directly to the dwarves. On the bright side, the dwarves now have a solid investment in Vespin and have offered to protect the nation if it is threatened (giving it a defensive edge if combat seems inevitable). In most cases, the towns of vespin are ruled economically by the dwarves while practical matters are decided by town councils, each of which have elected elders that meet when all of Vespin must act as one. As such, Vespin lacks any form of capital city and most towns are rather similar.

Sheel: A couple of arctic settlements formed by Drachna before the orcs attacked a good century before. They declared independence during the war and as there isn’t much out there, anyways, nobody has bothered to reclaim it. They are the second-greatest fish producers behind Vespin and have proven to be a perfect place to run away to when somebody doesn’t want to be found.

Quite recently, however, a good supply of natural materials (including veins of gemstones silver) have been found in ice tunnels running underneath Sheel. If or how long the nation can remain independent has become a common topic of debate. Sheel is by far the smallest of the nations, consisting of only a single town.

Syrin: Though the plains were originally ruled by the orcs, Drachna and Vespin sent out men when the war was over to meet the orcs who still remained and impose a more peaceful culture. Humans and orcs live in relative equality here (this is the only place where orcs and half-orcs aren’t treated as second-class citizens and produces more half-orcs than the entire rest of he world) and many of the previous tribal traditions have been preserved by the those who live in the plains. Nobody has claimed formal ownership over Syrin yet but it is obvious that doing so too soon will start a war and doing so too late will make Syrin want independence, causing a great amount of political turmoil.

Adding into the trouble, Syrin has been going through something of a drought for the past century or so, making it difficult to create and maintain order. So far, a single large town called Kar’too and several smaller villages and trading posts have been founded in the wastes.

Daenalus, the person and bloodline:
The early life of Daenalus is, for the most part, completely unknown. He never shared his family name with anyone and in fact turned his name into his own family name after he exterminated the orcish menace, becoming Daenalus Daenali. The little bit of information that people do know is that Daenalus had been married during the early conflict to a woman named Madeline, a fact only held in town records. Nobody knows became of Medeline (if anything happened at all) or who she was but nobody has come forth as Madeline’s child and there are no other mentions of her. There are also stories told by the elves of a wizard matching Daenalus’ appearance meeting with the Elven king during the ongoing conflict, an honor beyond honors even among the elves.
After the casting of his spell, Daenalus lived the life of a king and was known for his wise rule, his wondering eyes, and love of laughter for the rest of his life. The many descendants that the mage bore have been viewed in a special light and been held up to higher standards through the generations, even though the true talent of Daenalus doesn’t seem to have been passed on into any of them.

The house colors of the family Daenali are Gold and Crimson.
The Daenali family seal is an odd but meaningless arcane symbol, one that he apparently used as the great mage's arcane mark in life.


And now, a couple of disclaimers:
If you are familiar with silent hill, you may notice a few differences to the formula (such as a lack of area maps, which won’t be needed as much here). I’m sorry if this offends anybody.
As this game revolves in part around your entire kingdom as well as yourselves, there may end up being bits of pseudo-political ramblings (either subtle or overt). Be aware that any such ramblings apply only to the particular kingdom of this campaign within the context of this campaign and that even then, they do not necessarily represent my own views.
Some parts of this game may be considered violent or cruel. :smallamused:

And now, the single most unreasonable request I'll make of you throughout this entire campaign


When you see spoilered text directed for someone else, I ask that you don't read it. I know that this is the general assumption for most games and that this may be automatic for some or all of you but as this is a psychological horror game, I ask that you put extra effort into it if you've had a spotty record for things like this in the past. :smallconfused:

Similarly, I ask that you reply directly to spoilered text with spoilered text unless other players would naturally be aware of your response (such as telling them what you see/hear/know).

IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191051)

vikingofdoom
2011-03-15, 09:46 PM
"Dave" will speak in blue.

Starsign
2011-03-15, 11:47 PM
I'll have Sheila speak in Dark Orchid since she doesn't really change her voice in her different forms, just her tone. :smallsmile:

EDIT: and it's Sheila not Shiela, and it's pronounced "Shee-illa" or "Sheilla" How it's said depends on the person really. :smalltongue:

Ridai
2011-03-16, 12:32 AM
Nicholas will speak in dark red.

Monodominant
2011-03-16, 10:55 AM
Normal Persona is Red
Sneaky Persona is Orange
Angry Persona is YellowGreen

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-16, 12:41 PM
Yay, everyone has assembled. Now to get things really started.

Starsign: oh... I somehow thought that the entire PM chain with the mispelled name was started by you rather than myself so I... something about your character just keeps messing me up, I guess. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-17, 10:46 AM
Hmmm... forgot to make a dice roll.

[roll0]

Monodominant
2011-03-19, 06:33 AM
hey I realised I am missing something in the character sheet!

Languages!

What languages are available in the setting? You make mention of elves and dwarves but is any of them available? Are there diffrent human dialects that one would learn in order not to betray where he is actually from?

Starsign
2011-03-19, 09:14 PM
Are we still using spoiler for our posts or can we stop using them now? Just wondering. :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-20, 11:06 AM
Monodominant: Unless you've been rather keen on travelling, it's unlikely that Ishmael has had anybody to teach him elven/dwarven. That said, there are probably tutors willing to teach you just about any language that you'd desire. As your alternate forms need not speak the same language as you and are their own entities, they can know any languages you wish (within normal limitations).

Starsign: you can abandon the spoilers now. :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-03-25, 10:43 PM
DM

OOC: Don't worry about it. Trapped in this alleyway, you don't have too much to work with (the world opens up a bit more outside of this crampt alleyway). For that matter, I'm kind of surprised that you've managed to stay in the alleyway for this long.

...

You know, upon reflection, perhaps using a legendary source of evil and suffering to "block" the path was a bit too effective at dissuading you guys.
Well to be honest I'm worried of the possibility of instant death through actions not considered a violation of common sense. To me, horror games are like trial and error in a way, except in these games, there are no save points. Go through it all in one go or die and start from scratch. So I guess you can say it makes me worried to do anything. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-25, 11:58 PM
Starsign: What type of DM would give you an instant-death trap in the first dungeon "room" and disguise it as the exit... oh, right, Gygax... :smalltongue:

Anyhow, if it will help inspire a bit of bravery, let me share with you the following little "secret": The series of games that this campaign is loosely based on is known for protagonists with borderline-suicidal levels of curiosity/bravery (defining bravery as willingness to face the scary) and instant-death scenarios in these games (and in most horror games that I've played other than clocktower, come to think of it :smallconfused:) are rather rare and far-between.

Though I won't stop you from playing Sheila as a shy and fearful sort (variety is the spice of life, after all), it's unlikely that I'll spring instant-death on you without some sort of way out.

Besides, not all of the horror will come from what's happening to you. :smallbiggrin:

Starsign
2011-03-26, 09:58 AM
DM

Starsign: What type of DM would give you an instant-death trap in the first dungeon "room" and disguise it as the exit... oh, right, Gygax... :smalltongue:

Anyhow, if it will help inspire a bit of bravery, let me share with you the following little "secret": The series of games that this campaign is loosely based on is known for protagonists with borderline-suicidal levels of curiosity/bravery (defining bravery as willingness to face the scary) and instant-death scenarios in these games (and in most horror games that I've played other than clocktower, come to think of it :smallconfused:) are rather rare and far-between.

Though I won't stop you from playing Sheila as a shy and fearful sort (variety is the spice of life, after all), it's unlikely that I'll spring instant-death on you without some sort of way out.

Besides, not all of the horror will come from what's happening to you. :smallbiggrin:
Oh, okay. So if I took the sword from the orc that's digging into him, would he absorb my soul? ^^; I promise I won't keep asking these questions, but I'd rather not get killed at the very beginning...

Actually, what kind of sword is it? My character can only equip simple weapons.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-26, 11:11 PM
Starsign:...I can promise that he won't suck out your soul immediately but what your actions do in the long-term is anybody's guess. :smallamused:

Also, I'm pretty sure that there are no forms of sword that you possess proficiency with, though the heavy mace in his guy does count as a simple weapon...

Ridai
2011-03-27, 09:01 AM
Since Starsign's last IC post wasn't there when I started writing my response, I edited my last post to react to Sheila's question.

Starsign
2011-03-27, 04:35 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! I never mentioned in my IC that Sheila decided to take out the weapon. Could you fix that please? (I can make weapons anyway :smalltongue:)

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-28, 06:43 PM
Darn, that's my third Sheila-related error. Well, fixed. :smallannoyed:

I really need to start paying better attention.

Starsign
2011-03-28, 07:08 PM
It's all right... so long as you don't make a Sheila-related error that results in a significant change in the story or otherwise puts Sheila at a huge disadvantage, then I'd be upset. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 07:21 PM
[roll0][roll1]

Ridai
2011-03-31, 11:33 PM
Nicholas picked his knife back up and put it away. He is currently shielding her with the torch in hand. Won't help much, but I guess the sentiment counts.

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-01, 07:28 PM
Understood.

[roll0]

Ridai
2011-04-02, 03:56 AM
Count of Silent Hill references: rising rapidly. Glad we aren't in a diner. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-11, 11:08 PM
going to give the others a bit more time to respond before posting up the cobbler shop tomorrow morning (Don't be afraid to make your opinion heard or at the very least make your presence felt rather than putting yourself on auto-pilot. I can't even tell if we've lost anybody at this point).

Starsign
2011-04-12, 06:45 AM
Well I'm having fun with this game. I don't have anything else to add though, just waiting to enter the cobbler shop.

Actually I've been wondering if Sheila should have a relationship with one of the guys as the story goes on. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-12, 06:38 PM
Now I'm beginning to grow concerned about the lack of activity from some of us. Monodominant and Vikingofdoom, could you please post something to let us know that you're still there? If I don't get any response by this weekend, I'm going to assume that you are gone for good.

vikingofdoom
2011-04-13, 08:27 PM
I'm here, posted my actions in the IC thread.

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-13, 10:51 PM
good to know that you're still with us. I was getting a bit nervous, there. :smallsigh:

OOC: Are people waiting for something to happen? I'm personally waiting for you guys to do something but if you want me to move things along, it probably won't be all that pleasant (horror campaign and all that).

Also, Monodominant has officially missed the deadline.

Edit: I just finished writing up an essay that has been keeping me incredibly busy and that's leaving me feeling totally wiped out. I'm still here, though, though I'll likely have to wait until tomorrow to have the time/energy needed for a real IC post.

Starsign
2011-04-30, 04:19 PM
I uh, forgot to make a listen check :smalleek: Making one now.

[roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2011-05-16, 09:30 PM
Ugh... sorry for my late reply.

My finals are over and I am in the process of recovering from a surgery (which may take a couple of weeks). If you guys are still out there and willing to continue, I'd be more than happy to resume this game.

So... are you guys out there?

Starsign
2011-05-16, 10:01 PM
I'm still here. I wouldn't mind continuing :smallredface:

Ridai
2011-05-17, 12:32 AM
Same here.

Hope you'll recover soon. :smallsmile:

vikingofdoom
2011-05-21, 01:24 PM
I'm still here. Good luck recovering from your surgery.

Starsign
2011-05-30, 11:38 AM
Guys I just made a post on the IC at 12:36 PM EST and during the posting I got an internal error. Can you guys see the post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11098981&postcount=212) or might I need to try again?

Ridai
2011-05-30, 12:09 PM
It doesn't appear in the thread list, but I can see it in the thread itself. It's always like that if internal server errors happen. The internal server errors are becoming more common lately. Ran into two in a row during one post a few days ago. You can make sure it shows up by deleting the post and reposting it.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll write an answer immediately.

vikingofdoom
2011-06-01, 08:26 PM
My life is getting really busy right now, so I am afraid that I will have to drop from the game. I'll try to post on any developments tomorrow or Friday, but after that I won't be able to post anything else.

Ridai
2011-06-13, 11:33 PM
Is the hole in the wall already big enough to get through?

Starsign
2011-06-19, 12:54 PM
Realms of Chaos? Are you still here? I haven't noticed an update for awhile now :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-06-19, 03:26 PM
I don't know how long that bit has been there already, but RoC's signature mentions finals coming up. Not sure when those usually happen in the US, but maybe that's why he's been absent for the last few days.

Starsign
2011-06-20, 06:33 AM
I don't know how long that bit has been there already, but RoC's signature mentions finals coming up. Not sure when those usually happen in the US, but maybe that's why he's been absent for the last few days.

Ah yeah. My exams are on Tuesday and Wendsday, so I probably won't be able to post either of those days. I can wait for RoC though. :smallredface:

Ridai
2011-06-28, 02:11 PM
Listen check [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-28, 02:50 PM
I'd like to apologize for my recent absences. I don't want this game to die more than anyone else. No truly wonderful excuse on my part (finals have been over) but I'm the type of person who really loses track of time at time (and as I've been sitting at home every day for over a week, I don't have much to judge time by).


I seem to have regained my posting bearings and will do my best to avoid losing them. Let's really get this story on the road.

Starsign
2011-06-28, 02:57 PM
Sounds great! :smallbiggrin: I'm willing to see this game to the end.

Ridai
2011-06-28, 03:17 PM
It's okay, don't worry. I love this game, I'm looking forward to what might happen next and I'm really enjoying RPing with Starsign, as Sheila is a great character, so I'll be around no matter what.

Starsign
2011-06-28, 10:14 PM
Sense Motive check [roll0]

EDIT: :smalleek: Nevermind...

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-29, 11:16 AM
I made a new post in the IC thread but it isn't visible for some reason. If you try making a post and look down to previous posts, however, it becomes visible. Just pointing it out as this is confusing.

Ridai
2011-06-29, 01:20 PM
I was able to see the post in the thread and the thread list just fine. Did you get an internal server error? If not, it's pretty safe to say it was just a minor, random quirk.

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-29, 05:52 PM
I'm not getting an internal server error screen so I'll have to go with option B. :smallannoyed:

I posted again and got the same result so you will hopefully be able to read it like last time. I hope this quirk clears up soon.

Starsign
2011-06-29, 05:56 PM
I was able to read it just fine, but hope it does clear up soon. :smallfrown:

Starsign
2011-06-30, 03:52 PM
...Oh crap, how much health did Nicholas have? What do I do?! :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-06-30, 04:12 PM
FYI, Nicholas has 8 HP. And he is very far from being good at any kind of combat (with his ranged skills being the most passable by far).

Starsign
2011-06-30, 04:15 PM
FYI, Nicholas has 8 HP. And he is very far from being good at any kind of combat (with his ranged skills being the most passable by far).

Alright then, but I'm a little clueless on what to do, as of her current personality Sheila would make a mad dash away from the creature leaving Nicholas to his doom. But I don't know how fast the creature moves or if I can beat it with Sheila's current abilities. And if I stay Sheila will most likely die and that'll be the end of the campaign; so I'm completely stuck at what to do here. :smallfrown:

Ridai
2011-06-30, 04:24 PM
Well, I'd say go with what fits your character.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 04:27 PM
Well, I'd say go with what fits your character.

Alright then... I'm confused though, did the monster come from behind or from in front of us? What other ways can I go? This is kinda what happens when you don't have a map. :smallredface:

Ridai
2011-06-30, 04:29 PM
The description of the layout of the alleyway/street is confusing as hell, but the monster is in front of you, as Nicholas went ahead a bit. Sheila could still escape through the door.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 04:43 PM
The description of the layout of the alleyway/street is confusing as hell, but the monster is in front of you, as Nicholas went ahead a bit. Sheila could still escape through the door.

Alright then... I'll see if shadow magic does anything. But I'll run if it doesn't work out. :smalleek:

Starsign
2011-06-30, 05:01 PM
Well... That's unfortunate really, I was liking the game just when Sheila and Nicholas had good chemistry. :smallfrown:

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-30, 05:02 PM
Waiting on your next post, Ridai. :smallfrown:

May Nicholas' final thoughts be peaceful ones.

Edit: Actually, I think that I might have a small epilogue in mind, if you don't mind. I think that it would work quite well.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 05:06 PM
Guys, do you think I should've tried casting magic again? I'm not sure what to do really at 1st level... :smallfrown:

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-30, 05:11 PM
...ironically, I was about to have you gain a level if you actually had the bravery to remain in that battle against unwavering odds (keep in mind we are using an unorthodox leveling system)...

...also, I edited my last IC post right after I realized that you had used arrow of dusk so that the beast would be distracted and would be facing you. By the time I posted it, however, you had already posted that you were running back into the mansion and I had to edit back.

...then again, maybe it's all for the best. I kind of doubt that you have the heal skill, anyways.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 05:14 PM
...Oh crap I didn't know :smalleek: I can re-change my post if you like...

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-30, 05:18 PM
You can take back the movement into the mansion if you want but now that you know that you were about to gain a "leap of faith" level, it would be a bit unfair to give it to you at this point.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 05:22 PM
You can take back the movement into the mansion if you want but now that you know that you were about to gain a "leap of faith" level, it would be a bit unfair to give it to you at this point.

Well... Then if it's unfair then I won't change my action. Really I'm sure that another opportunity might arise soon if the voices in her head keep talking to her.

If I may say though, her Shadowcaster personality hasn't been the most enjoyable to RP. I'm really thinking of her switching back soon. :smallfrown:

EDIT: And I feel really bad about letting Nicholas die, it's perfectly into Sheila's current personality however, and the most sensible thing to do (unless it's made obvious it's NOT a good idea) at a horror standpoint, which the idea is to survive... I guess I'm just saddled with a lot of guilt here. :smallfrown:

I just... don't know what to do anymore. I feel really horrible.

Ridai
2011-06-30, 05:35 PM
Guys, it's past midnight over here, I'll be back tomorrow (today, later, whatever). Need sleep, can't formulate a coherent post in this state...

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-30, 07:02 PM
Starsign: There's just something that I'd like to throw out there if being Ms. Abrasive is a bit difficult. Much like any normal person, there's no reason why your other selves are incapable of changing or getting character growth, even if it just helps to make them more like your normal self. Even highly abrasive and self-absorbed people can be struck by mercy, sympathy, and warmth every now and again.

Starsign
2011-06-30, 07:09 PM
Starsign: There's just something that I'd like to throw out there if being Ms. Abrasive is a bit difficult. Much like any normal person, there's no reason why your other selves are incapable of changing or getting character growth, even if it just helps to make them more like your normal self. Even highly abrasive and self-absorbed people can be struck by mercy, sympathy, and warmth every now and again.

Ah... I hadn't really thought of that. :smallredface: Alright, I think I'd like Sheila in her shadowcaster form a bit longer then, if only to bring out some development within her.

Realms of Chaos
2011-06-30, 07:40 PM
starsign:As an extra bonus, having a character that represents another character's ideals grow and develop means that the original character is also growing and developing by changing their ideals to some extent. Character growth for one is character growth for all. :smallbiggrin:

Starsign
2011-06-30, 07:45 PM
starsign:As an extra bonus, having a character that represents another character's ideals grow and develop means that the original character is also growing and developing by changing their ideals to some extent. Character growth for one is character growth for all. :smallbiggrin:

Ah yeah, I didn't think of that either. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-07-01, 11:55 AM
Hey RoC, am I allowed to have Sheila switch between her forms at will or is it still story-based? :smallredface:

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-01, 12:26 PM
hmmm... I did come up with a whole list of triggers and such when this campaign started but I can also understand why losing control of your character might be a bit frustrating.


How about this as a compromise: Both of you can change between any forms that you've been in before but your first changes into your third forms will be story-based. Sound fair? :smallconfused:

Starsign
2011-07-01, 12:30 PM
I'm good with that. :smallsmile:

Ridai
2011-07-01, 01:18 PM
I don't mind either way, but I'd prefer not to be able to change at-will through my forms, unless there is a very good/urgent reason for it (probably related to Sheila or his own past/life). I wrote my forms to be mysteries, even to myself, as well as instruments to enhance the story, so I think they'll lose some punch if I can just change at-will.

This is just what I want for Nicholas, though. I support whatever Starsign decides for Sheila 100%. :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-01, 01:22 PM
Hmm... than we'll have to split the difference.

Sheila can change as described above (although you can still use the changes to enhance the story and/or explore your characters) and Nicholas, due to some more... extreme... forms, will be more of a mystery.

Everyone okay with that?

Ridai
2011-07-01, 01:23 PM
Absolutely, thank you. :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-07-01, 01:38 PM
Hmm... than we'll have to split the difference.

Sheila can change as described above (although you can still use the changes to enhance the story and/or explore your characters) and Nicholas, due to some more... extreme... forms, will be more of a mystery.

Everyone okay with that?

Hmm... Actually I'd like my forms to be story-based instead of being able to change at will as it loses it's mystery impact if I can simply change. That and I'd end up keeping Sheila in her more offensive forms all the time. :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-01, 01:47 PM
Back to square one, then. :smallbiggrin:

You planning on using that key of yours, Starsign?

Ridai
2011-07-02, 02:33 AM
Listen check [roll0]

Ridai
2011-07-04, 09:14 AM
Does Nicholas learn anything because of that Listen check? He doesn't really have anything to do right now, so...

Starsign
2011-07-04, 11:23 AM
Sorry, just to give a heads up, I'm posting from my mobile phone. My computer bit the internet so I can't post IC till later tonight. :smalleek:

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-04, 06:55 PM
Ah, overlooked that listen check. I'll edit in the results.

Edit: Okay, it seems that we need to see what Sheila is going to do.

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-12, 11:56 PM
Well, it would seem that there are some things here that I need to clarify regarding what is going on mapwise.

The Southeast door (the alleyway) leads north towards the street where the creatures are and south towards a pit between this street and the main street you were on before (near the curio shop, cobbler, general store, and so forth). Likewise, the southern door simply opens up to this pit (and the pit is a good 20 feet across if you want to try crossing it).

Also, the faceless beings did not break through the storm cellar that you guys took to get out but rather through the boards of wood that were covering a hole in the back of the cobbler shop (which is why it is labelled cobbler hole instead of cobbler basement or pit of despair or somesuch).

Hopefully, that will make a bit of sense. :smallconfused:

Starsign
2011-07-13, 12:14 AM
Well, it would seem that there are some things here that I need to clarify regarding what is going on mapwise.

The Southeast door (the alleyway) leads north towards the street where the creatures are and south towards a pit between this street and the main street you were on before (near the curio shop, cobbler, general store, and so forth). Likewise, the southern door simply opens up to this pit (and the pit is a good 20 feet across if you want to try crossing it).

Also, the faceless beings did not break through the storm cellar that you guys took to get out but rather through the boards of wood that were covering a hole in the back of the cobbler shop (which is why it is labelled cobbler hole instead of cobbler basement or pit of despair or somesuch).

Hopefully, that will make a bit of sense. :smallconfused:


I believe there was only one way left that we haven't explored yet, the other street at the crossing leading to the tailor.

Erm... Right. So Ridai, which way do we go? I'm not sure. :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-07-13, 01:53 AM
So the southwestern door also just opens up to the pit (since it's 20ft. across)? If so, we don't really have a choice but to run past the cobbler shop (and the monsters). Fighting the creatures in the alley with so little space available is not going to happen.

Starsign
2011-07-13, 09:50 AM
So the southwestern door also just opens up to the pit (since it's 20ft. across)? If so, we don't really have a choice but to run past the cobbler shop (and the monsters). Fighting the creatures in the alley with so little space available is not going to happen.

Oh that's wonderful... :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-07-14, 12:12 AM
I'm not saying that we run past the monsters in the alley behind the cobbler shop. My plan is to move into the alley where Nicholas was attacked, head to the street through there and get past the front of the cobbler shop, since we don't have any other options left (that I'm aware of, at least).

Nicholas might have his breath weapon, but 1d6 of fire damage is pretty worthless. Entangling Exhalation makes it much stronger, but he needs much more space to exploit the enemy's slowness, so combat in the current area would be much too dangerous (apart from combat on level 1 and 2 being ludicrously lethal and completely luck-based anyway).

Starsign
2011-07-14, 12:24 AM
I'm not saying that we run past the monsters in the alley behind the cobbler shop. My plan is to move into the alley where Nicholas was attacked, head to the street through there and get past the front of the cobbler shop, since we don't have any other options left (that I'm aware of, at least).

Nicholas might have his breath weapon, but 1d6 of fire damage is pretty worthless. Entangling Exhalation makes it much stronger, but he needs much more space to exploit the enemy's slowness, so combat in the current area would be much too dangerous (apart from combat on level 1 and 2 being ludicrously lethal and completely luck-based anyway).

Oh, right then... Well I'm still gonna pray we don't get killed as it's completely luck-based as you said. :smallredface:

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-14, 10:52 PM
I'm not saying that we run past the monsters in the alley behind the cobbler shop. My plan is to move into the alley where Nicholas was attacked, head to the street through there and get past the front of the cobbler shop, since we don't have any other options left (that I'm aware of, at least).

Nicholas might have his breath weapon, but 1d6 of fire damage is pretty worthless. Entangling Exhalation makes it much stronger, but he needs much more space to exploit the enemy's slowness, so combat in the current area would be much too dangerous (apart from combat on level 1 and 2 being ludicrously lethal and completely luck-based anyway).

I was actually talking about that alleyway. There was (or was supposed to be) a pit blocking that alley from the street with the front of the cobbler store. As this wasn't clear, starsign has already responded to it, and having that pit there kind of bends physics a bit, however, let's go with your plan. :smalltongue:

Starsign
2011-07-19, 07:51 AM
Ridai, just so you're aware, Sheila isn't actually walking into the building yet, she just has an arm and leg into it's darkness, her next actions depend on how this turns out.

Ridai
2011-07-19, 08:19 AM
Yup, I know. Nicholas just figured that glowing brightly won't make things better and that Sheila should be in charge of navigating the darkness if they head inside. :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-07-24, 10:09 AM
Realms of Chaos, are you there? I'm hoping you can post soon. :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-07-25, 02:27 PM
RoC, I'm assuming RL is keeping you busy, but it'd be great if you could chime in and let us know what's going on. :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-07-26, 01:44 PM
Sorry, before I make my post I notice RoC was making a Spot or Search check of some sort with the results unrecorded atm. What stuff did we find RoC? :smallfrown:

Ridai
2011-07-26, 01:50 PM
Personally, I think both Sheila and Nicholas managed to see the hands and pairs of light. Basically everything in the last paragraph.

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-30, 06:08 PM
oops, sorry for the late response here (and for my absences, though I'm done with my summer job so I should have more post-time for a few weeks).

Ridai was completely right about the spot checks simply revealing the following text.

Starsign
2011-07-30, 06:10 PM
oops, sorry for the late response here (and for my absences, though I'm done with my summer job so I should have more post-time for a few weeks).

Ridai was completely right about the spot checks simply revealing the following text.

Ah, got it. Glad to know the game will be picking up again :smallsmile:

Starsign
2011-08-01, 03:04 PM
Sorry Ridai, suffered an internal server error when posting, here's my last post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11543745&postcount=335) because it won't show up unless you go to the thread itself. :smallfrown:

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-03, 07:41 PM
And, indeed, Nicholas is back to his normal form.

Edit: Starsign, are you there?

Starsign
2011-08-15, 08:45 PM
Hey, sorry for the delay, I almost forgot about this :smallredface: I'll go post immediately. It won't happen again.

Um... Would either of you two have AIM or Skype so we might be able to keep in touch? :smallsmile:

Ridai
2011-08-16, 12:48 AM
I have Skype, but I have to remember switching it on more often. I'll send you my contact data.

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-16, 02:42 PM
I have skype as well. I'll send you my contact info momentarily.

Edit: sent

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-17, 11:56 AM
Okay, then. Just noticed a couple of things. First of all, we should probably update gear a bit.

Nicholas: I believe that you picked up a couple of charms in the ripped room of your mansion and the bottle of blue liquid (both weigh 0 pounds). You have 1 pound of jerkey and a sack weighing 2 pounds in its own right. Also, at one point you were holding a heatless torch with you in the first general store. You mentioned putting it away but I'm not certain if you were taking it with you or leaving it in the store.

Sheila: Unless you dropped it at some point and I have forgotten, I believe that you have a crossbow and some bolts on hand.


On another topic, I was thinking over the possibility of allowing you guys to take 20 on Search checks, seeing as it allows me to hide items and fits the SH expectation of searching for equipment/keys/useful items. I have even come up with a (hidden) mechanic to keep you from doing so too much or too often (or at least doing so safely). What are your thoughts on the matter?

Edit: Dangit. Forgot that I was doubleposting. :smallannoyed:

Starsign
2011-08-17, 12:04 PM
Okay, then. Just noticed a couple of things. First of all, we should probably update gear a bit.

Sheila: Unless you dropped it at some point and I have forgotten, I believe that you have a crossbow and some bolts on hand.

On another topic, I was thinking over the possibility of allowing you guys to take 20 on Search checks, seeing as it allows me to hide items and fits the SH expectation of searching for equipment/keys/useful items. I have even come up with a (hidden) mechanic to keep you from doing so too much or too often (or at least doing so safely). What are your thoughts on the matter?

Sheila actually has an unopened bottle of wine or some sort of alcohol from her father's house too. (I'm pretty sure that was shortly after Nicholas died the first time) But aside from that yeah that's it.

It sounds like a good idea as well... Both of us are pretty mediocre on our skill checks :smallredface: The hidden mechanic does sound like a good idea, perhaps as if we need something accomplished in the room first (like a puzzle) or that we can't take 20 if we don't have the time to search around. :smallsmile:

Ridai
2011-08-17, 12:11 PM
Sorry about the lack of bookkeeping, I corrected the issues. Nicholas dropped the torch.

I'm a bit leery about taking 20 to search most of the time, simply because of the amount of time needed to do that. People would only search that long and thoroughly if they absolutely knew there was something in that room.

In the SH games, looking for items takes second, because the character's head turns towards them, they often stick out from the background and there is also a small light effect to alert the player, I think (at least when the flashlight shines on it). Could be wrong about the last part, though.

So stopping to make some kind of perception check doesn't sound too thrilling to me. It actually works against the eery atmosphere most of the time, with the exception of when you're going for stress in the form of forcing the players to search for something under time pressure.

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-17, 12:19 PM
Good point, Ridai.

I suppose that taking 20 (and the time needed to do so) really would take away from the atmosphere. It was just something that I had been considering.

Ridai
2011-08-31, 02:43 PM
Spot check [roll0]

Starsign
2011-08-31, 03:48 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-08-31, 03:49 PM
Spot check 2 [roll0]

Ridai
2011-09-03, 04:26 PM
The latest haute couture in le Spot checks: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-09-03, 04:30 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-09-04, 12:55 PM
Search check, because that's all the rage right now [roll0]

Starsign
2011-09-04, 12:56 PM
Search check: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-09-07, 10:58 AM
Knowledge (nobility and royalty) [roll0]

Ridai
2011-10-05, 05:45 PM
"Truth" library spot check [roll0]

Ridai
2011-10-10, 12:29 PM
Listen check to locate the catacomb music [roll0]

Starsign
2011-10-10, 12:31 PM
Listen check: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-10-10, 12:37 PM
Search check for catacombs: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-10-10, 12:37 PM
Search check: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-10-10, 04:02 PM
Strength check to open coffin: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-10-10, 04:28 PM
Strength checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Starsign
2011-10-12, 10:04 AM
Realms, if I may ask (and to give some conversation while I'm at college :smalltongue:) How long have you had this game/campaign planned before you opened the recruitment thread if I might ask? :smallsmile:

Ridai
2011-10-15, 03:58 PM
Spot check on the otherworld street [roll0]

Starsign
2011-10-15, 04:00 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-10-21, 04:21 PM
Saw the most recent posts. If possible can you not continue without me until I get home please? (1 hour from posting this) I would really appreciate it :smallredface:

Ridai
2011-10-28, 12:29 PM
Dexterity check for Corinth's safe [roll0]

Ridai
2011-10-28, 12:33 PM
Another Dex roll [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2011-10-28, 12:46 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Starsign
2011-11-04, 02:01 PM
Just so you both know (I'm at college atm :smallredface:), While I will be busy, I will still be able to post for this game, so don't think that I'll be leaving things just as they've been going so well :smallwink:

As for that matter, I think we're waiting on you Realms :smalltongue:

Starsign
2011-11-05, 12:14 PM
Making a Craft (weaponsmith) check on the Guisarme. [roll0]

Starsign
2011-11-11, 08:15 PM
Realms, where are you? We haven't heard from you in a bit :smalleek:

Ridai
2011-12-05, 08:23 AM
Spot check in the entrance hall/atrium: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-12-05, 09:09 AM
Making spot check: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-12-23, 01:43 PM
Listen check: [roll0]
Aid Another check if applicable: [roll1]

Ridai
2011-12-23, 01:56 PM
Listen check in "umbrella" room: [roll0]

Ridai
2011-12-27, 04:49 PM
Cranking strength checks: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Ridai
2012-01-02, 12:18 AM
Is the lift itself there or is it just the shaft with a rope?

@Starsign: I think it's better to descend to go down to the dungeons. :smallwink:

Starsign
2012-01-02, 12:23 AM
@Starsign: I think it's better to descend to go down to the dungeons. :smallwink:

Oh right, sorry. :smallredface: Fixed that.

Ridai
2012-01-09, 12:40 PM
Sewer
Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Starsign
2012-01-09, 12:41 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Starsign
2012-01-09, 01:32 PM
Swim: [roll0]

Reflex saves: [roll1] [roll2]

Ridai
2012-01-12, 03:02 PM
Spot check in the second 'love' room [roll0]

Starsign
2012-01-21, 04:04 PM
Gonna try to attack with my Elephant Axe while Sheila is grappled: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Starsign
2012-01-21, 04:15 PM
Reflex Save: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-01-21, 04:18 PM
Reflex save to catch Madeline [roll0]

Ridai
2012-05-12, 04:30 PM
Listen check for MADNES door [roll0]

Starsign
2012-05-12, 04:33 PM
Listen check: [roll0]

Starsign
2012-05-14, 11:26 AM
Strength check: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-05-14, 12:24 PM
Strength check to open the MADNES door [roll0]

Starsign
2012-05-18, 05:03 PM
Strength check on the rope because I forgot to do so earlier: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2012-05-20, 08:04 PM
Since Nicholas asked so nicely

[roll0]

Starsign
2012-06-15, 11:11 AM
I'd like to roll Sense Motive on the group we hardly know to detect anything fishy: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-06-15, 11:12 AM
Sense Motive against the group to, likewise, pick up on anything fishy, especially regarding Rihan and Anarya:

[roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2012-06-17, 09:33 PM
Nicholas:You don't detect any lies in what you've been told. You detect that there's more you haven't been told but you were basically told as much by Sanguille already. The offer of aid seems genuine and the rest of Sanguille's group seems content to let him represent them. The only bit of real oddness you've picked up on seems to be some discomfort that the large man has with Rihan with occasional furtive glances in the prisoner's direction.

Rihan and Anarya both seem genuine and sane from what you've experienced so far. They seem upset by their general situation and captivity has left them worse for the ware but you're pretty sure that their level of discomfort suggests they haven't even been through half of what you've experienced.

Starsign
2012-07-03, 01:46 PM
Rolling Initiative: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-07-03, 01:47 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Starsign
2012-07-21, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting Realms, I promise to get to it soon. :smallredface:

Realms of Chaos
2012-07-23, 07:40 PM
time for some rolls


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

S [roll3]

N [roll4]

W [roll5][roll6]
LL [roll7][roll8]
ML [roll9][roll10]

Starsign
2012-08-04, 10:52 PM
Rolling for Sneak Attack: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2012-08-04, 10:55 PM
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Starsign
2012-08-16, 12:19 PM
Critical threat: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Starsign
2012-09-13, 02:47 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Starsign
2012-10-08, 09:18 AM
And because I forgot to do so yesterday, Heal check: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-10-31, 12:24 PM
Is the hollow empty by now or is there more black goop to go through?

I'm still not sure if we should touch the stuff.

Realms of Chaos
2012-10-31, 04:02 PM
The hallow is pretty empty but every interior surface (including the floor) is still coated in the black fluid.

Starsign
2012-11-02, 11:36 PM
Hey Realms, just want to be sure that you haven't forgotten about this game. :smallredface:

Ridai
2012-11-03, 04:02 AM
Star, it's been only two days since the last update.

Also, I'd like to point out that you haven't responded to my post. :smalltongue:

Starsign
2012-12-11, 11:13 PM
Dexterity Check: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-01-08, 11:01 PM
I think Nicholas is going to the small structure first, but I could be wrong.

Ridai
2013-01-09, 01:12 AM
Heading to the small one.

Starsign
2013-03-25, 01:08 PM
I'd like to roll Sense Motive before I go post: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-03-25, 01:12 PM
Welp, Sense Motive just to add it [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-25, 01:21 PM
She does NOT want you to see what happens next, most likely to her. She's not "hiding" anything so much as not wanting you to feel horrible about it.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-26, 09:52 AM
1 or 2 miss (via entropic shield)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Starsign
2013-04-12, 08:10 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-04-17, 10:59 AM
Critical threat against Dolnath: [roll0]

Added damage: [roll1]

Ridai
2013-04-17, 11:01 AM
Crit-crit confirmation: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-05-01, 10:15 AM
Ah screw it, I'll just roll anyway and see what I get: [roll0] Add by +11 if Bluff, +12 if Diplomacy.

Starsign
2013-06-21, 10:14 PM
Hey Realms, did you notice the post here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15445082&postcount=141) where Sheila goes to Cage 10? Neither Nicholas or her has been there yet so I was wondering if you might have missed the post by accident :smallsmile:

Starsign
2013-06-27, 10:04 PM
...Oh boy. Well here's a Will save: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-07-17, 11:53 PM
Do we still have that one key that was just a small metal rod without teeth?

Starsign
2013-07-18, 11:57 PM
Waiting for a confirmation from this too, however Sheila does have an Iron Key in her inventory which I think is the key Ridai is talking about. Still, would like this confirmed please. :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-19, 08:25 AM
Yup, you've still got that key.

Starsign
2013-07-22, 10:43 PM
Alright, I'd like to make a Spellcraft check to see if Sheila recognizes the runes in the book: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-07-29, 04:34 PM
Listen check [roll0]

Starsign
2013-07-29, 04:34 PM
Listen check while I have the chance: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-07-30, 11:56 AM
And another Listen check: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-07-30, 12:30 PM
Now a Sense Motive check: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-07-30, 12:30 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 12:30 PM
[roll0]

Time for a roll

Starsign
2013-07-30, 12:50 PM
And here's another roll. [roll0]

Ridai
2013-08-02, 12:36 PM
Crit confirm [roll0]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 12:55 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-08-02, 12:56 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:04 PM
Jump check [roll0]

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:55 PM
Crit confirms [roll0] [roll1]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 02:14 PM
Alright, here comes a crit threat! [roll0]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 02:16 PM
Crit extra damage: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-08-07, 08:05 PM
Hey Realms, hope you might be able to post for the IC soon. Looking really forward to see how the endgame goes. :smallbiggrin:

Starsign
2013-08-21, 02:09 PM
Would like to make a Sense Motive check to see if Sheila can figure out what the man in Cage 13 is trying to point out: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-21, 02:48 PM
Not a clue. He might be telling you to unlock the cages... or attack the victim... or walk into its hands... or climb up the mesh of chains it's wrapped in.

You realistically don't have a clue.

Ridai
2013-08-22, 01:12 PM
Reflex save [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-22, 01:13 PM
forgot a roll [roll0]

Starsign
2013-08-22, 01:13 PM
Reflex: [roll0]