PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Knight Errant

Charles Phipps
2011-03-16, 01:59 AM
Hey,

Anyone check these comics (and their accompanying novel), out?

I really liked the novel.

Less so the comic series (but still pretty good).

It's a pity that the old Knights of the Old Republic comic series was canceled. It probably had something to do with the upcoming Old Republic MMORPG.

(I'm bitter, I know)

An Enemy Spy
2011-03-17, 10:34 PM
MMO's always herald the death of a good franchise. Warcraft went from an epic storyline to thousands of idiots calling eachother noobs.

Athaniar
2011-03-18, 02:20 AM
That's one way to look at it. I, however, see it as a great opportunity to personally experience the world/universe and role-play with my friends. I hope The Old Republic will be as good as it sounds, and I honestly think it sounds better than just a KotOR 3.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-18, 04:10 PM
It's a pity that the old Knights of the Old Republic comic series was canceled.

It was? I was about to buy the first graphic novel in the series. Does it have a proper ending or did they kill it after years and years of story?

Gaius Marius
2011-03-18, 04:18 PM
I cry more about the end of Legacy than KOTOR.

Although I should pick up KOTOR, I heard it's good as hell.

shadow_archmagi
2011-03-19, 10:39 PM
MMO's always herald the death of a good franchise. Warcraft went from an epic storyline to thousands of idiots calling eachother noobs.

I don't know how *you* remember warcraft, but "Thousands of idiots calling each other noobs" is exactly how I'd describe the online community for warcraft 3

Dienekes
2011-03-19, 10:49 PM
That's one way to look at it. I, however, see it as a great opportunity to personally experience the world/universe and role-play with my friends. I hope The Old Republic will be as good as it sounds, and I honestly think it sounds better than just a KotOR 3.

Ehh must respectfully disagree. But then, I kinda dislike the concept of mmo's to begin with. People annoy me, being force to play with people whose preferred form of communication is: Lol can healz kthx, even more so. Having to pay per month for such a treat is just the ill tasting icing on the cake.

I don't know how *you* remember warcraft, but "Thousands of idiots calling each other noobs" is exactly how I'd describe the online community for warcraft 3

I think he's referring to the stagnation of the fluff as opposed to the online presence. Warcraft campaigns and books had some pretty interesting storylines, now it has "events" and let's the players go about killing everything without rhyme or reason.

So anyway, any hint to what the novels and comics are about?

Closet_Skeleton
2011-03-20, 04:38 PM
So anyway, any hint to what the novels and comics are about?

What? The Knight Errant ones or the TOR ones? They aren't really related.

The TOR ones are basically adverts for the MMO that you pay for (well, the comics are free but you can pay for them if for some reason you want to). The first TOR comic series is terrible. The second is supposed to be better but I didn't bother with it. The novels are the backstory of one of the MMO's characters. Which sounds a bit like being forced to listen to the backstory of a DMPC to me.:smallwink:

Knight Errant was okay, but will probably read better when its released in collected format in 5 or so months. Its set 1000 years before the movies and actually ties into their background, unlike the other Old Republic stuff. Basicaly's its a prequel to the Darth Bane books/Jedi VS Sith comics. So a prequel to a prequel to a prequel. Yay. Basically the Sith drove the Republic into collapsing in all but name, but then started backstabbing each other and themselves collapsed into warring Sith fiefdoms. The heroine is a member of a group of Jedi who run unnofficial raids into Sith territories.

Haven't had a chance to read the novel yet despite having it on my shelf since it came out. It got some good reviews from Star Wars fans but also got critised for being more of a "world building" fantasy book than a story and having a nondescript protagonist with the focus being on the villains.