PDA

View Full Version : Starmantle questions.

fencepainter
2011-03-16, 08:44 AM
The Starmantle spell in the Book of Exalted Deeds says
The starmantle renders the wearer impervious to nonmagical weapon attacks and transforms any nonmagical weapon or missile that strikes it into harmless light, destroying it forever.

What happens to creatures whose nonmagical natural weapons come into contact with a starmantle?

What would it mean if those "weapons" turned to light and destroyed? How would one assess the damage?

If those "weapons" aren't just turned to light and destroyed, is the damage just prevented?

panaikhan
2011-03-16, 08:49 AM
natural attacks aren't 'weapons', in my opinion. By RAW, Starmantle would do nothing to hinder or prevent natural attacks.

Eldan
2011-03-16, 08:56 AM
It does, however, become hilarious with a monk:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

:smallbiggrin:

Anyway. There's no real rules for that, but most natural weapons wouldn't count for this anyway.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-16, 08:59 AM
It does, however, become hilarious with a monk:

:smallbiggrin:

Anyway. There's no real rules for that, but most natural weapons wouldn't count for this anyway.

Sadly, not as much as you'd think:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

I don't know about you, but having your hands dissolved into light and utterly destroyed doesn't sound like an enhancement or improvement to me.:smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-03-16, 09:05 AM
Sadly, not as much as you'd think:

I don't know about you, but having your hands dissolved into light and utterly destroyed doesn't sound like an enhancement or improvement to me.:smalltongue:

Well... perhaps you could get a free Brilliant Energy enchantment out of it? :smalltongue:

But yeah, quoting fail.

Psyren
2011-03-16, 09:41 AM
The real trick with Starmantle is adding evasion. Nonmagic weapons dissolve, magic weapons do nothing to you if you beat a DC 15 reflex. And this applies to every individual attack, even projectiles.